Energy in North West
DLA Piper UK LLP stands out for its expertise across new nuclear build and decommissioning, renewable energy and embedded generation mandates and it is instructed by sponsors, developers and funders. The team has also advised waste contractors and investors on waste projects and is able to handle contentious work in the energy sector. The team is engaged on local, national and international energy mandates. Darren Walsh heads the team and Andrew S. Davies is active in the waste and water sectors. Legal director Ben Morton is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Andrew S. Davies; Paul Giles; David Moss Ben Morton
Darren Walsh has vast knowledge of the energy sector
Kelda Water Services
Korea Electric Power Corporation
Renewi UK Services (formerly Shanks Waste Management Ltd)
Vital Energi Solutions
Liverpool Combined Authority – Mersey Tidal One
Greater Manchester Waste Disposal Authority
GE / Alstom Power
- Advised Brookfield Asset Management on its acquisition of Westinghouse Electricity Company.
- The team is advising KEPCO on the development, financing, procurement, construction, testing, commissioning, operation and maintenance of a nuclear power plant in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- The team is advising Chinese General Nuclear Global Uranium on a number of contracts for the book transfer of uranium assets and the provision of enrichment services.
- The team is instructed by Sellafield on various matters relating to the national and international transportation of nuclear materials.
- Advised Mettis Aerospace on an energy supply contract to install operate and maintain a natural gas powered combined heat and power plant at Mettis’ aerospace manufacturing facility.
Pinsent Masons LLP handles a raft of national and international projects in the energy sector and acts for large energy organisations, public sector clients, owners, developers, operators, funders and utilities clients. The nuclear, thermal power, oil and gas, biomass, solar and wind, waste management and mining sectors are key areas of focus for the team. Graham Alty heads the transactional construction team in Manchester and Mark Job leads the transactional construction and engineering team in the UK. Legal directors Ian Fairclough, who is experienced in nuclear, conventional energy and renewables projects, and Sian Hughes, who handles disputes, are also noted.
Mark Job; Graham Alty
Sian Hughes is able to identify key strengths and weaknesses with a strong commercial sense
They are not only very bright lawyers, they are also very commercially astute, outstandingly good at handling clients and at managing cases, and are very easy to work with
They team is keenly attuned to the commercial objectives of the client and is highly skilled at devising the strategies by which such objectives might be achieved
Anthony Bradley is an outstanding lawyer who commands the absolute confidence of his clients, and is hugely conscientious and hardworking
Yapı Merkezi İnşaat ve Sanayi A.Ş.
- The team advises Sellafield on more than £15bn of capital projects at its nuclear decommissioning site in Cumbria.
Addleshaw Goddard's energy and utilities sector team is able to utilise its network of offices to advise on a range of domestic and international projects covering the oil and gas, renewables, power, water and waste sectors. The team in Manchester is experienced in is public-private and project finance transactions for public sector procuring bodies, private sector sponsors and funders. The team also handles real estate, outsourcings, procurement, state aid, contractual matters, re-financing and project finance matters in the sector. Manchester office head Michael O’Connor, who leads the infrastructure, projects and energy group, and legal director Rob Thompson head the team.
Michael O’Connor; Rob Thompson
Other key lawyers:
Andrew Pettinger; Julie Hodkinson; Andrew Maskill
Macquarie Principal Finance (MPF) (part of the Macquarie Group)
Consortium of banks, including MUFG Bank, Societe Generale, SMBC and Mizuho Bank
SSE plc (Retail)
National Grid Electricity Transmission plc
Northern Ireland Electricity Networks Limited
SSE plc (Seagreen)
Scotia Gas Networks (SGN)
West Yorkshire Combined Authority
National Grid Gas
- Advised West Yorkshire Combined Authority (WYCA) on the procurement for the supply, installation and operation of EV charge point network in the West Yorkshire region.
DWF stands out for its experience across electricity, gas, water and renewables, nuclear, district energy and heating and battery storage projects. It acts for public and private sector clients including developers, funders and investors, on domestic and international mandates. The team also handles energy sector disputes as well as EU and competition matters in the sector. Catherine Haslam is head of solar and Andrew Symms, who is based across the Leeds and Manchester offices, handles energy sector projects.
Andrew Symms; Catherine Haslam; Steve Morris; Christian Hellmund; Jonathan Branton
Other key lawyers:
ScottishPower Group (including ScottishPower Energy Retail, ScottishPower Energy Networks, ScottishPower Generation and ScottishPower Renewables)
Gildemeister energy solutions (part of the DMG Mori Group of Japan)
Canary Wharf Group
United Utilities Renewable Energy
Yingli Green Energy Europe (part of Yingli Green Energy of China)
Yingli Namene Solar
- Advised ScottishPower on the 1800 MW ‘Damhead Creek Unit 2’ combined cycle gas turbine (CCGT) project in Kent.
- The team advises Vensys Energy on all UK and Irish onshore wind projects.
- The team continues to act for Whitbread on construction matters, including managing the framework agreements for its team of consultants and contractors.
Aaron & Partners LLP acts for non-plc energy developers, operating across wind, hydro power, solar, biomass and biogas, and battery storage industries, and the team has experience in cutting-edge projects such as pumped storage hydro and tidal energy. The team advises on land issues, planning, accreditation, regulatory requirements, grid connections, power purchase agreements, acquisition, financing, investment and disposals, and also handles disputes. The team is also instructed by landowners where developers are seeking to use their land. David Harries has 'fantastic knowledge of the energy sector'.
Other key lawyers:
Stuart Scott-Goldstone; Jamie Hawley; Keith McKinney; Andrew Lees
Dwr Cymru Welsh Water
Bryn Blaen Wind Farm
Hendy Wind Farm
North Wales Tidal Energy & Coastal Protection
- Advised Hendy Wind Farm on a planning case after Powys County Council refused planning consent for Hendy Wind Farm. As a result it was recovered to the Welsh Ministers who granted permission as a DNS (Development of National Significance) project following a lengthy public inquiry.
- Advising Hendy Wind Farm on numerous planning and environmental issues to ensure the swift commissioning of the wind farm.
- The team defended Hendy Wind Farm on a section 288 challenge of grant of planning permission for Hendy Wind Farm; and the team also defended it on an application for interim injunction.
- The team continues to advise NWTE on all aspects of its proposed development of a tidal lagoon.
- Advised on Developments of National Significance (DNS) applications for six wind farms, plus a grid connection.
CMS is active across the oil and gas, power and renewables sectors and the Manchester team has a developing nuclear practice. The team acts for construction and engineering contractors, utilities, banks, investment companies, national and local government clients, manufacturers and industry bodies on a range of mandates. The team also handles energy sector disputes. Chris Hallam the energy, projects and construction group in the North and Nigel Lewis heads the infrastructure, construction and energy disputes team in Manchester.
Chris Hallam; Nigel Lewis
Other key lawyers:
David Turner; Charlotte Eccles
DEFRA (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs)
Manchester Airport Group
- The team is advising NG Bailey on a dispute concerning energy sector services.
- Advised Viridor Laing in relation to the Greater Manchester Waste PFI Project.
- The team is advising a client which is developing two energy from waste facilities.