EU and competition in North West
At DWF, practice head Jonathan Branton splits his time between Leeds and Manchester, handling high-profile work such as advising PepsiCo and subsidiary Walkers Crisps on the acquisition of Pipers Crisps. In addition to acting on merger control, the department is distinguished for its handling of EU state aid matters, EU procurement matters and EU funding regulatory issues. Cartels are a further area strength for the team, which also includes Colin Murray, an expert on public law, procurement and governance. Senior associate Jay Mehta’s strengths lie in representing education sector clients, local authorities and combined authorities.
OSRAM Licht Group
Birmingham City Council & Finance Birmingham
Maven Capital Partners LLP
University of Liverpool
National Lottery Heritage Fund / National Lottery Community Fund
Liverpool City Council & Liverpool City Region Combined Authority
Manchester City Council
Greater Manchester Combined Authority
Cheshire & Warrington LEP
Northern Trust Limited
Lancashire County Council (& LEP)
- Acted for OSRAM in securing CMA clearance for its acquisition of Ring Automotive.
- Advised Liverpool City Region Combined Authority in a series of grant funding scenarios in administering its SIF (Strategic Investment Fund).
- Advised Maven on the administration of the Northern Powerhouse Investment Fund and the Midlands Engine Investment Fund.
Weightmans LLP has expertise in cartel damages, state aid and procurement law. Under the leadership of Laurence Pritchard, a merger control and anti-competitive practice expert, the team is particularly knowledgeable in the airline, airport, food and drink and insurance industries. It also represents a number of local authorities, listed companies, universities, developers and venture funds in relation to state aid issues with grants, deal structures and loans.
Other key lawyers:
Tristan Feunteun; Gary Jones
UK Trucks Claim Limited
S. Norton & Co. Limited
John West Limited
Washington Mills Limited
Motor Insurers’ Bureau
British Insurance Brokers Association
Lotus Bakeries Limited
All About Food
Peel Ports Group
Doncaster Sheffield Airport Limited
North Hertfordshire D.C.
- Acted for UK Trucks Claim Limited on issuing proceedings on behalf of owners and lessees of over 600,000 trucks which were sold by way of unlawful anti-competitive practices undertaken and admitted by a cartel of European truck manufacturers over a 14 year period.
- Advised Swissport in obtaining unconditional clearance from the Competition and Markets Authority of its acquisition from Air France of the remaining 50% of Heathrow Cargo Handling Limited.
- Advising Rutland County Council on State aid compliance in obtaining grant funding through the DCMS Local Full Fibre Networks Challenge Fund under the Public Sector Building Upgrades programme.
The ‘very commercial-thinking team’ at Addleshaw Goddard is entrusted for antitrust investigations, competition enforcement, merger control, state aid implications and advisory matters. In addition, the department is active in respect of competition litigation, led by Mark Molyneux, particularly in respect of matters concerning the retail and financial services sectors. Clients single out managing associate Mark Crane, who recently joined from Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP.
Bruce Kilpatrick; Mark Molyneux
Other key lawyers:
‘A very commercial-thinking team that is competent, quick and swift to reply‘.
‘I have worked specifically with Mark Crane. He struck me as really excellent with great judgement and a get-things-done attitude.’
Inspired Entertainment Inc
JD Sports Fashion Plc
Road Haulage Association
Co-operative Group Limited
Office Depot Europe
NKT group of companies
British American Tobacco
KCom Group Ltd
Scotia Gas Networks
Department for Transport
- Instructed by Office Depot (ODE) in relation to two claims in the English High Court for follow and stand-alone damages against addressees of a decision of the European Commission in relation to the Envelopes Cartel and/or companies in their respective corporate groups, for losses arising from the purchase by ODE of envelopes caused by the Envelopes Cartel.
- Instructed by six companies in the NKT group across two claims. Some of the first follow-on claims from the Power Cables decision were brought in the UK by National Grid Electricity Transmission plc (NGET) and, separately, companies within the Scottish Power group of companies.
The Manchester team at Squire Patton Boggs is part of a broader practice spread across London and Brussels; key partner Diarmuid Ryan divides his time between all three offices. Director Nicola Elam, who is based in the Manchester office, benefits from previous experience at the European Commission, and advises many of the team's key clients on UK and EU competition law.
‘Providing legal competition argument to required narrative in a punchy style.’
‘Diarmuid Ryan cuts to the chase and sees the bigger picture and points of detail extremely quickly.’
Citron Hygiene UK
Studio Retail Group PLC
- Defending Vp PLC in the CMA’s ongoing Groundworks cartel investigation.
- Advising Funeral Partners on the CMA’s funerals market investigation.
- Advising Studio Retail Group PLC in securing CMA approval for its sale of Findel Education Limited to YPO.