Christopher & Lee Ong's construction and projects team advises on a full range of contentious and non-contentious matters relating to real estate and infrastructure project arrangement and contracts, renewable energy transactions, project structuring, and risk analysis. In the energy sector, the group has been particular active in advising clients, such as Redsol and Scatec Solar, and Coral Power, on the development of large-scale solar photovoltaic power plants. The group also benefits from access to Rajah & Tann Asia's network and which it leverages when advising on cross-border investments. Christopher Lee combines projects and energy and banking and finance expertise and has particular infrastructure projects and utility privatisation experience; Lee heads up the practice alongside Eileen Yeoh, who handles a range of projects, infrastructure and construction matters. The 'very responsive and knowledgeable' Chor Jack attracts praise for his 'quick turnaround'.
Projects and energy in Malaysia
Other key lawyers:
‘Knowledgeable team, able to provide good advice on the implications of the legal terms with quick turnaround times.‘
‘The team was incredibly strong and reliable. We always felt comfortable and trusted their advice.‘
‘The team has excelled in delivering its services to our company. The partners and lawyers are skilled, proficient with a depth of knowledge and understanding of the industry matters in their respective areas of expertise.’
‘Christopher Lee and Chor Jack are very well-versed in the project and energy sector.’
‘They are knowledgeable, able to provide good advice on the implications of the legal terms, quick turnaround time and very helpful.‘
YTL Corporation Berhad
Vale Malaysia Minerals
Tadau Energy Sdn Bhd
Invest Energy Group
KBJ HECMY Sdn. Bhd.
Coca Cola Bottlers (Malaysia)
- Assisted YTL-THP Consortium with the review of tender documents and negotiation of PDP Contract with the high speed rail project civil works.
- Advised Redsol and Scatec Solar 30 MWac large-scale solar photovoltaic power plant in the state of Perak.
- Advised MSR Projects on engineering, procurement and construction and operation and maintenance contracts for a large scale solar photovoltaic energy generating facility with a capacity of 29.99 MWac located in the state of Terengganu.
- Acted for Coral Power on the development, installation, implementation and operation of a 9.99MWac large-scale solar photovoltaic power plant in the state of Perak.
- Assisted KBJ HECMY Sdn. Bhd. and Hanwha Energy Corporation on the development of a 30 MWac large-scale solar photovoltaic power plant in the state of Perlis.
Rahmat Lim & Partners combines its projects and international arbitration teams to offer clients advice through every stage of infrastructure, energy and construction projects. Chong Yee Leong, who focuses on of energy, oil and gas, power and infrastructure-related international arbitration, heads up the team alongside Kamilah Kasim, who handles a range of contentious and non-contentious instructions.
‘Kamilah Kasim has broad experience in the construction industry in South East Asia, he is able to assist client to evaluate the commercial issues constructively.‘
‘Kamilah has strong negotiation and persuasion skills during contract negotiation.‘
- Advising Don Sahong Power Company on the operation and maintenance agreement for 260MW run-of-the-river hydroelectric power project in the province of Champasak in the southern part of Laos.
The project financing and project management group at Adnan Sundra & Low is frequently instructed by international clients in the energy and infrastructure sector matters, with particular expertise in solar energy and oil and gas sector instructions, transport and telecoms infrastructure and development projects. Traditionally known for handling corporate and financing transactions, the group bolstered its projects expertise following its merger with projects and infrastructure boutique Khem Thadani in October 2018 which welcomed the current practice head Khem Thadani to the firm's ranks. Other names to note include Adrian Chair, who has particular project finance and transactional expertise and corporate and projects partners Constance Low and Ng Jo-Leen, who all joined the team following the firm's merger with boutique firm Putri Norlisa Chair in August 2018.
- Advised CIMB Investment Bank on Edra Energy Sdn Bhd’s Islamic medium term notes issuance of up to RM5.28bn in Nominal Value under the Shariah Principle of Wakalah Bi Al-Istithmar and Murabahah.
- Advised PTT Exploration and Production Public Company on its USD2.13bn acquisition of shares in Murphy Oil Corporation’s two Malaysian subsidiaries, Murphy Sabah Oil Co Ltd and Murphy Sarawak Oil Co Ltd.
- Assited for TNB Engineering Corporation with the successful bidding and resulting documentation for the contract for the construction of a 30MWac large scale solar power plant at Bukit Selambau, Kedah.
- Advised Puncak Niaga Holdings Berhad’ on its acquisition of TRI plc Group from Pimpinan Ehsan Berhad.
Shearn Delamore & Co leverages a multi-disciplinary team in providing clients with a full-service offering across the corporate and project structuring, engineering and construction, dispute resolution and financing in the oil and gas and infrastructure sector. Rodney Gomez and Grace Yeoh jointly head the practice group and focus on dispute resolution and non-contentious matters respectively.
Malaysian Resources Corporation Berhad
CRRC Urban Traffic (Europe) Co Ltd
CRRC Urban Traffic (Hongkong) Company
Korean National Oil Corporation
MRCB George Kent Sdn Bhd
Puma Energy Asia Pacific B.V.
IHH Healthcare Berhad
Standard Chartered Bank Malaysia Berhad
Restructuring of Borneo Technical Co
The Administrator for Malaysian Airline System Berhad
Malaysia Airports (Sepang)
Malaysia Communications and Multimedia Commission
- Advised Malaysian Resources Corporation to review and amend contracts with Kwasa Sentral for the development of a piece of land known as MX-1 in Sungai Buloh, Selangor, Malaysia.
- Assisted CRRC Urban Traffic with its collaboration with property development and construction outfit Ireka Corp to venture into rail, urban traffic solution, tourism and infrastructure projects in Malaysia and Southeast Asia.
- Advised Korea National Oil Corporation on its internal restructuring exercise.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel to Puma Energy Asia Pacific on its disposal of 20% shares in Langsat Terminal (One) Sdn Bhd and Langsat Terminal (Two) Sdn Bhd to Dialog Terminals.
- Advised MRCB George Kent on appointment by Prasarana Malaysia Berhad (Prasarana) as the main contractor for the design, development and construction of the Malaysian Government’s Light Rail Transit Line 3 (LRT 3) project from Bandar Utama in Petaling Jaya to Johan Setia in Klang.
Skrine has experience across a range of infrastructure and energy sector instructions, and, with a 'real insight' into the oil and gas sector, it has particular expertise in upstream oil and gas transactions, as well as high-value construction disputes. Ivan Loo and Ashok Kumar Mahadev Ranai jointly head the construction and engineering team, while the 'terrific' Fariz Abdul Aziz leads the oil and gas group, and Richard Khoo Boo Hin heads the energy and infrastructure practice.
‘Their familiarity in navigating vague regulatory approval processes and external stakeholder management is of great comfort.‘
‘Prompt response times, country knowledge and sector knowledge makes Skrine a great firm to work with as Malaysian counsel.‘
‘Fariz Abdul Aziz consistently provides valuable and significant contributions and also also provides excellent service in coordinating any other specialist advice which we need from Skrine during the course of a transaction.‘
‘Associate Karyn Khor is technically very strong, detail-oriented and has a strong engine in getting transactions done.‘
‘Karyn kohr is a great senior associate, she is very clever and prepares excellent clear advices.‘
‘Fariz Aziz is brilliant. He has such wide experience and his advices are extremely clear.‘
‘Fariz Aziz is very user friendly, promptly responding to questions, delivering strong country and energy sector knowledge.‘
Murphy Oil Corporation
HESS Exploration and Production Malaysia
Petronas Gas Berhad
Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad
PTT Exploration and Production plc
MCC Overseas (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- Advised Murphy Oil Corporation on ts $2.13bn sale of its entire Malaysian portfolio to Thailand’s PTT Exploration and Production Plc.
- Acted for OMV on its $975m acquisition of 50% of Sapura Energy’s global exploration and production assets.
- Assisted Carlyle International Energy Partners with its purchase of a strategic stake in Compañia Española de Petróleos S.A.U.
- Advised SHV Holdings on the merger of their group company Dyas Holdings B.V. (Dyas) with Oranje-Nassau Energie B.V. (ONE), in a combined entity called ONE-Dyas.
- Acted for Leader Solar Energy II on the development of a 20MWac large scale solar power plant in Kedah.
Zaid Ibrahim & Co (a member of ZICO Law)
The projects, infrastructure and utilities practice at Zaid Ibrahim & Co (a member of ZICO Law) handles a range of transactions across the power and renewable energy sector, construction and engineering, transport and infrastructure, water and wastewater, and township projects. Wong Kee Hooi has a broad practice assisting sponsors, financiers and government bodies with various elements of development and construction projects, while Hua Sia Yen focuses on advising project promoters on structuring the development, construction and financing of major infrastructure projects. Amin Abdul Majid is another name to note for corporate and commercial matters.
Other key lawyers:
Quantum Solar Park (M) Sdn. Bhd.
Tanjung Aru Eco Development Sdn. Bhd.
BGMC Corporation Sdn. Bhd.
China Communications Construction Company (M) Sdn. Bhd.
Sarawak Coal Resources Sdn. Bhd.
Genting Utilities & Services Sdn. Bhd
Veolia Water (Malaysia) Holding Sdn. Bhd
China Communications Construction (ECRL) Sdn. Bhd.
McCallum Bros Ltd
Pekan Energy I Pte Ltd
Iljin Material Co Ltd
Ernst & Young
SP Setia Berhad
UEM Edgenta Berhad
Itramas Technology Sdn. Bhd.
T.T.E Engineering (M) Sdn. Bhd
Kit & Associates
China Triumph International Engineering Co. Ltd.
Maybank Investment Bank Berhad
Negeri Sembilan Cement Industries Sdn. Bhd.
The Chambers of Shamsul Qamar
- Advising T.T.E Engineering on bespoke contracts for construction works.
- Assisting Quantum Solar Park with the proposed development of three large 50 MW scale solar power plants in Kedah, Melaka and Terengganu respectively.
- Acting for Itramas Technology on a supply, installation and maintenance agreement with Majlis Bandaraya Shah Alam (Shah Alam City Council) for the replacement and maintenance of street lights.
Zain & Co
The projects, energy and infrastructure team at Zain & Co is instructed by an impressive client roster of large corporates in a range of projects, and continues to be particularly active in the energy sector with Petronas being among its key clients. Rajiv Vijayanathan focuses on the oil and gas sector, with particular expertise advising on petrochemical contracts, as well as joint ventures, privatisation and infrastructure projects. Corporate and commercial partner Rebecca Jeyanthi Selvaraj is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Petroliam Nasional Berhad (PETRONAS)
Petronas Refinery and Petrochemical Corporation Sdn Bhd
PRPC Utilities And Facilities Sdn. Bhd.
PRPC Water Sdn Bhd
Chooi & Company and Cheang & Ariff's energy, projects and infrastructure practice is highlighted particularly for its expertise in the power industry with recent work highlights including advising Tenaga Nasional Berhad on the preparation of the tender documents and template power purchase agreement for the third phase of its large scale solar project. Rosey Lim Chu Ai heads up the practice and has experience advising on a range of contentious and non-contentious matters in construction and infrastructure projects.
- Acted for Tenaga Nasional Berhad on the preparation of the tender documents and template power purchase agreement for the third phase of its large scale solar project.
- Advised Pengerang Refining Company and Pengerang Petrochemical Company on creation of several template agreements, including the sale and purchase of crude oil agreements, purchase of goods and provision of services agreements, and consultancy agreements.
The 'excellent and approachable' projects and construction practice at Lee Hishammuddin Allen & Gledhill is frequently instructed to advise on the development and financing of energy, infrastructure, utility and construction projects and attracts praise for its 'knowledge of the market and strong problem-solving skills'. Steven Shin Yau Tee and Nitin Nadkarni jointly head the practice and are names to note for non-contentious matters and international arbitration respectively.
‘Great energy, positive thinking, good recommendations to clients.‘
‘Lee Hishammuddin Allen & Gledhill has a very good team in dispute resolution and litigation. Time and again the team in LHAG has given us good sound legal advice, alternatives and strategies to address issues.‘
‘There’s no doubt on their performance in terms of profession. LHAG gave me an impression that they take good care of my (our company’s issue and try to make best out of it. The team have a great harmony.‘
Alfranko Development Sdn Bhd
Cypark Sdn Bhd
Serba Dinamik Group Berhad
Time dotCom Berhad
S P Setia Berhad
Johor Land Berhad
Biocon Sdn Bhd
- Advised Alfranko Development on an agreement with Shengster Global Sdn Bhd for collaboration on a housing development project, known as the Novo Ampang project.
- Advised Cypark on a letter of award, which subsequently formed a basis of the contract documents, for a SMART WTE (solid waste module advanced recovery and treatment system incorporating waste to energy) project.
Mohamed Ridza & Co
The projects and energy practice at Mohamed Ridza & Co assists clients in the sector with a range of corporate, commercial and regulatory matters and has particular oil and gas industry expertise. Mohamed Ridza Abdullah has particular experience in negotiating local and international construction contracts and heads up the practice alongside Mohamad Nazran Basirun who handles a range a corporate and commercial issues.
The construction and energy group at Raja, Darryl & Loh has particular experience advising on rail sector projects having been instructed to advise on high profile projects for the light rail transit three (LRT3), the mass rapid transit 2 (MRT2) line in the Klang Valley and on the KL monorail fleet expansion project. The group is also developing a niche in advising oil and gas sector clients on liabilities arising from fires. Practice head Wei Mun Chang focuses on public transport projects while Choon Hon Leng has experience in housing development projects.Joshua Chong
Other key lawyers:
Prasarana Malaysia Berhad
CRCC CREC CCC Consortium Sdn Bhd
Mass Rapid Transit Corporation Sdn Bhd
SP Setia Group
YTL Construction Sdn Bhd
Mycron Steel CRC Sdn Bhd
Pengerang Refining Company Sdn Bhd
UEM Sunrise Sdn Bhd
- Advised Prasarana Malaysia on the Light Rail Transit Three (LRT3) Project.
- Acting for Prasarana Malaysia with in a dispute with Scomi Transit Projects (STP) relating to the Monorail Fleet Expansion Project that had led to declining ridership on the Rapid KL Monorail because 5 sets of 4-car trains supplied by STP had stopped operating since January 2018.
- Advising CRCC CREC CCC Consortium on the Gemas-Johor Bahru Double Track Electrified Rail Line Project.
- Assisting Mass Rapid Transit Corporation with the MRT2 line project to reduce the cost of the project.
- Advising Dynaciate (Kuantan) on its potential liabilities arising from a fire.
Sedgley & Co
Boutique firm Sedgley & Co focuses on corporate and commercial transactions with significant experience in the projects and infrastructure space. The team has particular expertise advising on financial restructuring, disputes and M&A. Iain Sedgley heads up the practice and has experience advising on a range of corporate and commercial matters arising from large-scale infrastructure and property projects.
- Advising a private limited company on the potential disposal and/or development of a large-scale residential and commercial estate project.
- Assisting one of the leading bridge construction companies in Malaysia with ongoing legal support.
Wong & Partners
Wong & Partners attracts praise for being able to offer 'a one-stop service' for infrastructure projects and energy sector matters, both in assisting with a full range of contentious and non-contentious issues, as well as international aspects owing to its ability to leverage Baker McKenzie's global network. The group is jointly led by project finance partner Mark Lim and the 'very professional' Siaw Wan Lim, who has experience across projects, infrastructure and construction, and counts energy, oil and gas, power and rail among her sector focuses.
‘The team employs good time management and is able to deliver within tight deadlines.’
‘In negotiations Siaw Wan Lim can control the situation and her advice is unarguable.‘
Asian Development Bank
IJM Corporation Berhad
Gunkul Engineering PCL
Titan Energy Sdn Bhd
Pestech Cambodia Ltd
- Advised Maybank Investment Bank Berhad and CIMB Investment Bank Berhad, as the principal advisors and lead arrangers, on the project financing for the development of water treatment plants in Terengganu.
Albar & Partners is a firm to note for project finance transactions, with experience advising both local and international financial institutions and borrowers. The group fields a multidisciplinary team which combines expertise from its corporate, and banking and finance practices – both of which benefit from Lily Chea Li Tan's diverse experience in corporate, M&A, conventional and Islamic finance and capital markets transactions – with its debt capital markets team, which is led by Swee Loong Chung.
AmInvestment Bank Berhad & AmBank (M) Berhad
CIMB Investment Bank Berhad & CIMB Islamic Bank Berhad
Hong Leong Investment Bank Berhad & Hong Leong Bank Berhad
IGB Corporation Berhad
Maybank Investment Bank Berhad
MMC Corporation Berhad
Public Investment Bank Berhad & Public Bank Berhad
RHB Investment Bank Berhad & RHB Bank Berhad
UMW Holdings Berhad
Sapura Energy Berhad
- Advised Pengurusan Aset Air on the restructuring of the water bonds issued by the water concessionaires in Malaysia.
- Assisting Syarikat Pengeluar Air Selangor Holdings with the proposed disposal of its entire equity interest and redeemable unsecured loan stocks of its subsidiary, Syarikat Pengeluar Air Selangor Sdn Bhd to Pengurusan Air Selangor Sdn Bhd.
- Acted for UMW Holdings on its perpetual Islamic note issuance programme.
- Advised AmInvestment Bank Berhad and United Overseas Bank as joint lead arrangers in the Green SRI RM245m Sukuk issuance by Sinar Kamiri.
- Acted for RHB Investment Bank as lead arranger in Serba Dinamik Holdings Berhad’s Islamic medium-term notes programme of up to RM1.5bn in nominal value.