Reputation management in London
Top-ranked media, litigation and reputation management law firm Atkins Thomson is especially well-known for its libel and privacy practice and its involvement in hundreds of phone hacking and voicemail interception claims. Founding partners Graham Atkins and Mark Thomson lead the 'small, agile team with a great depth of experience across all areas of media law'. Thomson, who is praised for being 'very-hands-on', acted as lead solicitor in the mobile telephone voicemail interception litigation against News Group Newspapers; the 'bright and perceptive' James Heath took on the same role in the Mirror Group Newspaper's hacking litigation. Associates Emily Jenkins and Yinka McKay Wood both provide key support in the phone hacking cases, acting for a large number of litigants. The team specialises in advising individual and corporate clients as well as political organisations in crisis and reputation management matters, and demonstrates considerable expertise in commercial litigation, arbitration and breach of contract claims. Dealing with complex political situations is a particular strength of Atkins, who helped former Ukraine President Petro Poroshenko secure a high-profile libel victory against the BBC over false allegations that money was paid to Donald Trump’s lawyer in return for access to the US President.
Graham Atkins; Mark Thomson
‘Atkins Thomson’s team is professional , flexible, quick and efficient.’
‘Mark Thomson is very bright’.
‘Extremely focused and knowledgeable team.’
‘James Heath is bright and perceptive.’
‘Mark Thomson is very ‘hands-on’ and makes sure that no point is left unconsidered.’
‘Atkins Thomson has a small, agile, team with a great depth of experience across all areas of media laws. In addition to its core claimant practice, it has a specialist expertise in “victims of crime” issues.’
‘Mark Thomson is one of the most experienced practitioners in the marketplace with an unrivalled legal knowledge and a brilliantly creative approach to solving the problems faced by his clients.’
‘Graham Atkins is a highly experienced media litigator with an impressive international client list.’
‘James Heath is a lead solicitor in the phone hacking litigation, a difficult and demanding role which he carries out with great skill.’
Former President of the Ukraine, Petro Poroshenko
Sir Lynton Crosby
CT Group / CTF Partners
Groupe L’ Express
Sir Michael Hintze
Tony and Cherie Blair and Family
Dental Centre Turkey
The Belgravia Centre Harry
- Represented Petro Poroshenko, President of Ukraine at the time, in a claim against the BBC over allegations related to a six-figure payment to Donald Trump’s lawyer in return for access to the US president.
- Represented Rollo Gabb in a complaint against articles published in the Times and the Daily Mail accusing the client of being a founder of Cambridge Analytica.
- Acted for Groupe L’Express, a high profile political French news magazine headquartered in Paris facing libel proceedings brought by Syrian-Saudi businessman Wafic Saïd.
- Represented the children of Chelsea Clinton and Marc Mezvinsky in a claim against Associated Newspapers relating to the repeated publication of photographs of the children on the MailOnline website.
The defamation & reputation management practice at Carter-Ruck is a safe port of call for blue chip companies and handles an increasing number of clients from the Middle East. The 'hugely experienced, likeable and savvy' Nigel Tait and the 'calm and measured' Adam Tudor lead a team that acts in an extensive number of libel and privacy complaints. The firm 'remains at the very top of the tree' and fields a strong team that also includes pre-publication expert Alasdair Pepper and Rebecca Toman, who acts for ultra high-net-worth individuals, entrepreneurs and celebrities. Claire Gill stands out for her role as lead partner in the landmark "right to be forgotten" case NT1/NT2 v Google where she successfully obtained an order to remove the claimants' private information from the search engine in a novel High Court ruling. Associate Helena Shipman continues to have significant impact on the practice and demonstrates 'excellent client care' in her area of expertise; misuse of private information and breach of the data protection act.
Nigel Tait; Adam Tudor
‘Very much the market leaders in reputation management.’
‘Carter-Ruck remains at the very top of the tree for media and communications/ reputation management work. They have huge amounts of experience together with the resources to do a thorough job on every case.’
‘There is no better claimant law firm, although they also do media cases for defendants.’
‘Nigel Tait is hugely experienced, able, likeable and savvy. ‘
‘An unrivalled range of truly exceptional practitioners steeped in all aspects of this work. They are able to put together teams at partner/associate level tailored to the particular needs of any client/case at the shortest notice.‘
‘Whilst some firms can match them in individual cases, none have the capacity to handle as many high-profile matters simultaneously.’
‘Nigel Tait has extensive legal knowledge coupled with astute tactical sense.’
‘Adam Tudor is calm and measured, even under pressure. He is always focused on the end product rather than short-term gains.‘
‘Helena Shipman demonstrates excellent client care and the ability to drag a better offer out of the other side than anybody else thought possible.‘
The Labour Party
Sasha Wass QC
Baronness Sayeeda Warsi
Richard Burgon MP
Yusuf Islam (formerly known as Cat Stevens)
Kate & Gerry McCann
- Acted for ‘NT1’ and ‘NT2’ in their ground-breaking claims against Google LLC.
- Secured full Court apology and £110,000 in libel damages from The Mail on Sunday for top criminal QC Sasha Wass.
- Represented Richard Burgon MP in his libel claim against the Sun’s “Nazi symbols” claim.
- Secured a front-page apology, substantial libel damages and legal costs from Jewish News after publishing false allegations about Baroness Warsi.
- Represented Nick Brown MP in his claim against Faber & Faber publishing house and bestselling political author Tom Bower in relation to his book “Broken Vows – Tony Blair, The Tragedy of Power”.
Harbottle & Lewis LLP's media and information group is headed by 'grandee of the industry' Gerrard Tyrrell , and is best known for its representation of all senior members of the Royal Family including HM The Queen. The firm lays its focus on claimant work and advises a spectacular client list on preventing publication of private information such as allegations concerning family life, medical history and business interests. On top of that, the 'proactive and innovative' team acts for high-profile business individuals in relation to the processing and publication of inaccurate personal data in relation to a number of prominent risk databases. The 'very quick' John Kelly is an expert in working with FTSE 100 companies, investment funds and charities. The team is also praised for its 'exceptional' associates: 'Strategic' associate Natasha Hibbert is building her practice in information and reputation protection; another name to note is senior associate Louise Prince, who advises corporate clients as well as a large number of phone hacking victims. Jo Sanders left the team to become the UK head of reputation management at Withers LLP.
‘The combination of John Kelly and Gerrard Tyrrell is exceptional – in intellectual reach, sophistication of view, wisdom and experience.‘
‘Harbottle have a fantastic reputation across the private client world due to the in-house talent and experience the firm possesses – making them a market leader in London and a subject matter expert globally.‘
‘With a proactive and innovative approach to the most complex problems, Harbottle is able to quickly identify effective short term solutions whilst keeping an awareness of the bigger picture.’
‘The team under Gerrard Tyrrell has such a depth of experience dealing with high profile and sensitive matters. They are equipped with all the legal know-how and tools that can be deployed in a specialist area of the law which is constantly changing.’
‘ Gerrard Tyrell is the best lawyer in the UK in private client and privacy areas.’
‘John Kelly is one of the leading UK lawyers in the area of reputation management. He is a very hands on adviser, who has an excellent reputation due to his ability to very quickly identify key issues in complex cases.‘
‘Unlike many lawyers who give advice in their own bubble, John and Gerrard individually and in combination are formidable, quick-witted, well informed and work in complete harmony with other outside advisers.‘
‘The best associates I’ve encountered in this space in any firm in Natasha Hibbert and Louise Prince.’
‘Natasha Hibbert is wise beyond her years, with a maturity that allows her to manage very high powered and difficult clients. She is strategic, and one to watch for the future. I predict she will be a top tier reputation management lawyer within the next decade.’
All of the most senior members of the Royal Family, including HM The Queen; TRH The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall; TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge; TRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and HRH The Duke of York
Sir Richard Branson
David and Victoria Beckham
Sir Alex Ferguson
Colin and Livia Firth
Sir Bradley Wiggins
Pets at Home Limited
Sacha Baron Cohen
- Advises HRH The Duchess of Sussex in relation to reputational issues such as harassment arising from media interest in her private relationships.
- Advised TRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and HRH Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank on both Royal Weddings of 2018 including protection of information, broadcast and reputational issues.
- Successful complaint to The Daily Telegraph over false claims about Melania Trump’s past.
- Successful complaint to the Sun on Sunday over an article published in breach of Kate Moss’ privacy.
- Successful complaints to Independent Press Standards Organisation over inaccurate and misleading articles about the reasons why Sally Osman (Director of Royal Communications) and Steve Kingstone (HM The Queen’s Media Secretary) were leaving their respective roles.
'Go-to firm' RPC stands out for its defendant-focused reputation management practice representing some of the most important national and local newspapers as well as book publishers, broadcasters and online media outlets. In this capacity, the team also offers a round-the-clock pre-publication clearance service to its clients. The team regularly takes on highly sensitive instructions such as representing Christopher Steele in several lawsuits brought against him in relation to authoring and publishing the infamous Trump-Russia dossier. Department head and 'doyen of the media defendant world' Keith Mathieson acts for social media intermediaries, broadcasters, magazines and book publishers. 'Phenomenal talent' Nicola Cain draws on her in-house experience at the BBC to advise household names on contentious and non-contentious defamation, misuse of private information and data protection issues. In addition, senior associate Rupert Cowper-Coles does 'an amazing job' at handling high-profile defamation cases including privacy and misuse of private information claims.
‘The go-to firm for quick, practical media law advice – particularly in data protection.’
‘The team has an excellent understanding of media law and a great client manner.‘
‘RPC attracts all the top media clients and affords them a unique, and unparalleled, breadth and depth of work.‘
‘One of the best media law teams in London. Its members are very knowledgeable and experienced in all aspects of media law.’
‘RPC are the leading reputation management firm specialising in defendant work. Their experience in this sector is unrivalled, in particular when it comes to acting for newspapers and publishers.‘
‘Unquestionably the pre-eminent defendant media firm.’
‘Keith Mathieson’s knowledge of media law is second to none. Great understanding of clients needs.‘
‘Nicola Cain has a brilliant understanding of the complexities of data protection and how it effects free speech. She is a top lawyer.‘
‘Keith Mathieson is the doyen of the defendant media law world. He is a hugely respected partner with unparalleled experience of defendant-based litigation in the area. He has a complete command of the legal issues and tactical considerations which confront defendants facing claims in the reputation management sector and provides exceptionally well-judged and commercially-sensitive advice to his clients.‘
‘Rupert Cowper-Coles is a hugely impressive senior associate with notable litigation experience and impeccable judgement. He has a fantastic eye for the sort of detail which wins or loses cases and will surely be a top-flight partner in years to come.‘
Trinity Mirror/ MGN Limited
News Group Newspapers
News Media Association
- Acted for News Group Newspapers in defending a conspiracy claim brought by the Duchess of York, Sarah Ferguson, for £40m.
- Acting for Christopher Steele, the British author of the infamous intelligence dossier, on links between Russia and Donald Trump’s presidential campaign.
- Acted for the publisher of the Mail Online website in a privacy claim brought by Chelsea Clinton and her husband over unpixelated photographs of their children.
- Acting for the National trust for Scotland in a claim brought by a photographer over a press statement related to a photoshoot conducted in the grounds of a Scottish Castle.
- Defending the publisher of The Sun in a defamation claim brought by a senior Labour MP over an article alleging he associated himself with Nazi symbols.
Reputation, privacy and security specialist Schillings takes pride in its multi-disciplinary approach to reputation management issues. The team draws on in-house cyber and intelligence experts to address the increasing number of cases related to social media and the internet in general. Furthermore, the firm has launched a critical risk offering to respond to threats such as blackmail and cyber attacks that can impact their clients' reputation and privacy. The firm is acting for Arcadia Group and Sir Philip Green in their claim against the Telegraph. Chairman Keith Schilling heads the team along with Rod Christie-Miller, Rachel Atkins , Jenny Afia and Magnus Boyd; Allan Dunlavy leads the firm's US practice. Key individual Atkins has built her practice advising family businesses or self-made entrepreneurs whereas the well-renowned Afia represents individuals from the entertainment, technology and finance sectors. Boyd is handling 'excellent work' and is especially adept at cases related to information security and reputation threats in the event of data loss.
Keith Schilling; Rod Christie-Miller; Rachel Atkins; Jenny Afia; Magnus Boyd
‘Magnus Boyd is doing some excellent work.’
Sir Elton John and David Furnish
Sir Philip Green/ Arcadia
Louis Moore Bacon / Moore Capital Management
- Issued a claim on behalf of Sir Elton John and David Furnish against the Sun on Sunday for a defamatory article alleging the couple’s dog had attacked a young girl.
- Coordinating numerous defamation and discovery actions against various individuals and media organisations throughout the world for Louis Bacon / Moore Capital Management.
- Acting for Arcadia and Sir Philip Green on a claim brought against the Telegraph for inducing breach of contract and breach of confidence in relation to settlement agreements reached with a number of former employees.
Simkins LLP's reputation department 'has strength in depth and real experience in this field' and successfully undertakes highly sensitive cases and deals with reputational threats linked to privacy, confidence, anti-harassment, data protection and copyright issues emanating from different channels. The team, headed by the 'outstanding' Gideon Benaim , has earned particular praise for its representation of Sir Cliff Richard in the 2018 landmark case against the BBC and South Yorkshire Police, establishing a precedent in privacy and data protection rights of individuals accused of criminal offences. Tom Iverson advises both claimants and defendants in proceedings in High Court, frequently obtaining injunctions for his corporate clients. The 'great and enormously supportive' Jon Oakley is an additional key figure of the exceptionally strong team as is 'effective litigator' Jessica Welch.
‘Simkins has excellent knowledge and experience of the relevant practice area and is also very approachable and easy to get on with. Strength in depth, not just at partner level.’
‘Exceptional experience of high-profile media cases, which they are able to bring to their ongoing practice.’
‘Gideon Benaim is the stand-out partner who managed their exceptional prosecution of Cliff Richard’s privacy claim. A historic victory.’
‘Jon Oakley is great and enormously supportive.’
‘Simkins have an enviable combination of experience, dynamism and patience – all of which are essential when representing high-profile clients.’
‘Gideon Benaim is the guy I want on my client’s side when things go awry. He is calming presence and tactically very astute. I know that if I ever need him he will always be there at any time of day and night.’
‘Gideon Benaim is robust without being aggressive, astute without being snide and caring without being weak.’
‘Gideon Benaim is outstanding. He gives sound counsel and is not afraid to say what he thinks is the best advice, regardless of whether this is what the client thinks they want to hear.’
‘A high-quality defamation and privacy practice with strength in depth and real experience in this field – as evidenced by their role in acting for Sir Cliff Richard in his successful claim for invasion of privacy against the BBC.‘
‘Jon Oakley is hugely experienced and a superb lawyer with good strategic insight. His calm approach inspires confidence in particular with corporate clients.‘
‘Jessica Welch is definitely a name to watch. A very effective litigator whose quality of work product and judgement belie her relative lack of seniority.‘
Sir Cliff Richard
- Represented Sir Cliff Richard in his groundbreaking privacy and data protection case against the BBC and South Yorkshire Police.
- Issued proceedings against the Daily Mail on behalf of Greek shipowner Evangelos Marinakis in relation to an article falsely stating the client had abused a UEFA referee during a football match.
Simons Muirhead & Burton's 'wonderful and very approachable' media content and disputes team is led by the 'immensely experienced' Louis Charalambous . It takes on the whole range of media defendant claims for most major newspapers and broadcasters in the UK as well as book publication clearances, defence of kiss-and-tell stories and matters with a criminal aspect, which is one of Charalambous' strong suits. The team regularly assists News Group Newspapers as publishers of a variety of media. Managing partner and disputes head Razi Mireskandari has outstanding experience representing both print and online media in high-value libel claims, bringing 'his inner litigator to his media work'. 'Star in the making' Jeffrey Smele also acts for claimants and provides specialist criminal law advice to media clients. Senior associate Erica Henshilwood, who is a 'particular asset to the firm', frequently defends pre-publication injunctions for journalists and publishers. Furthermore, senior associate Gordon Clough is praised for his 'quick and minimum fuss' pre-publication advice.
‘A wonderful media team.’
‘Very approachable and have total understanding of clients’ needs, often 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Great associates too.’
‘This has been the best external legal team I have dealt with in 20 years, provides both pre-publication advice and advice in responding to legal issues arising from published articles.’
‘A very strong firm with a team specialising in all aspects of media law. Great experience and knowledge of their specialisms.’
‘Louis Charalambous is brilliant, superb at anything with a criminal element to it. He’s client friendly and gets what newspapers need.’
‘Jeffrey Smele is a real star in the making.’
‘Gordon Clough is very responsive, exceptionally helpful in getting stories into publishable form quickly and with minimum fuss, and – importantly – his advice is always delivered with admirable clarity.’
‘The firm has an excellent team – with a profile that is un-stuffy and forward-looking. They offer a broad choice of partners – supported by good quality associates.’
‘Jeffrey Smele combines being one of the nicest men in the world with being a highly effective litigator. Trained by leaders in the field, and having worked as a highly-effective team member, expect him to rise as a future star.’
‘Razi Mireskandari is as cool as cool can be – he can litigate, mediate and makes a deal where no deal is possible. He’s smoother than a top silk – charming, with a fatal sting (if you are an opponent).’
‘SMAB manages the trick of combining claimant and defendant work which allows its lawyers to see a case from the other’s point of view.’
‘The firm is equally at home defending national newspapers and suing on behalf of individuals or small businesses.‘
News Group Newspapers Limited (‘NGN’), as publisher of The Sun
Penguin Random House
Reach Plc, formerly MGN Limited (Trading as Mirror Group) – publisher of The Mirror
Times Newspapers Limited
Travel Weekly Group Limited
Simon & Schuster
The Bureau of Investigative Journalism
Tes Global Ltd as the publisher of Times Education Supplement and Times Higher Education
- Defending the publisher of The Sun in a high-profile action brought by Hollywood actor Johnny Depp.
- Defending the world’s largest trade publisher, The Random House Group, against claims arising from a book on the Libor scandal.
- Defending the publisher of The Sun against a libel action brought by Elton John and his husband David Furnish.
- Defending British-Bangladeshi businessman Matab Chowdury against action relating to five publications.
The defamation and reputation management department at Wiggin LLP acts exclusively on the defendant side and is praised by some for being 'the best defendant team by some distance'. A high proportion of the firm's work consists of advising clients on sensitive and controversial content prior to publication or broadcast. The firm has also added specialist media clearance brand Reviewed & Cleared to its service portfolio, providing low-cost clearance advice by experienced solicitors. Team head and 'formidable opponent' Caroline Kean acts for publishers, broadcasters and film companies alike and many of her clients are based in other jurisdictions such as the US. The 'brilliant' Matthew Dando is particularly adept at defending libel and privacy claims for clients across the media, tech and sports industries. Consultant Anna Doble is another name to note: she advises well-known brands, publications and productions with her added expertise in copyright clearance. One of the firm's recent stand-out matters is acting for publishing house Faber & Faber and author Tom Bower in the lawsuit brought by Nick Brown MP over a statement made in “Broken Vows – Tony Blair, the Tragedy of Power”.
‘Caroline Kean is a formidable opponent.‘
‘Wiggin is the best defendant team by some distance.’
‘Caroline Kean is smart and a good lawyer.’
‘Matthew Dando is brilliant.‘
Associated Newspapers Limited
News UK (including The Sun and Dow Jones)
Penguin Random House
Audible (an Amazon company)
- Acting for Faber & Faber and author Tom Bower, who were sued over a comment about Nick Brown MP in Bower’s book.
- Acting for Associated Newspapers in a claim arising from publications in the Daily Mail and MailOnline brought by the chairman of Redrow plc.
- Advising Twentieth Century Fox on the depiction of living people in Bohemian Rhapsody.
- Acting for Legal Cheek in a claim over their reporting of allegations about a former Magic Circle solicitor.
- Advising MEN/MBC regarding a claim from Qatar Airways about their broadcasting.
Addleshaw Goddard's reputation & information protection team 'is right at the top of claimant work' according to clients and focuses on defamation matters related to online media and social media platforms. Thanks to its ability to draw on support from the full-service firm and its international network, clients include both blue chip companies and high-net-worth individuals from a wide range of sectors such as retail & consumer and financial services. In particular, the firm's client base in the Gulf regions and Hong Kong is growing. The team is headed by the 'tremendously effective' David Engel who specialises in crisis management, advisory, investigations and litigation; whereas the 'consistent' consultant Abigail Healey has built her practice in the growing area of information protection and excels at handling data breaches. Associate Samantha Haigh is the practice's rising star, in particular with regards to data privacy cases.
‘Right at the top in terms of claimant-focused reputation management. They have the specialist expertise to provide high quality and comprehensive personal advice to individual clients and also the wider resources and capacity to run and manage very large-scale litigation if required.’
‘David Engel is tremendously effective and gives very well-informed advice.’
‘David Engel rightly holds a superb reputation. He is a highly intelligent and personable lawyer with impeccable judgement and the ability to handle matters of any size or gravity.’
‘Abigail Healey has consistently demonstrated her ability and stamina to run large-scale pieces of litigation and to get across the detail of even the most complex cases.’
DNAFit Life Sciences
William Hill Organization Limited
The 'extremely knowledgeable' CMS advises corporate clients including leading media companies, as well as high-profile individuals, on the full range of issues concerning media and information law generally. 'Brilliant strategic thinker' Geraldine Proudler is head of the reputation management team that acts for both claimants and defendants in highly sensitive reputation cases often related to privacy, data protection and breach of confidence. The 'very tenacious' Dan Tench is praised for his judicial review and sports work and likewise recognised for being at the forefront of data protection developments. This is exemplified by a recent work highlight, where he initially advised offshore firm Appleby in relation to the cyber attack that led to the publication of the infamous Paradise Papers. Tamsin Blow, who regularly advises on complex contentious issues related to publication, data and information management, was promoted to partner.
‘One of few very large firms to have a credible offering in media litigation, the CMS team is extremely knowledgeable.‘
‘Collaborative, attentive, helpful, responsive, knowledge and brave team players.‘
‘ Geraldine Proudler is a brilliant strategic thinker.‘
‘Dan Tench has unparalleled legal and technical knowledge and is very tenacious.’
‘Totally committed to the client and the work they need.’
‘Geraldine Proudler is one of the leading defamation and privacy lawyers in the City. She combines years of experience and wisdom with a hands-on, down-to-earth approach and is a client’s delight – responsive, commercially minded and capable of explaining complex technical issues clearly without ever sounding patronising or condescending.’
‘Market leading strength in commercial and in particular IT/Media.’
Appleby Global LLP
Lloyds Banking Group
- Acting for Bloomberg defending a claim, based on privacy, data protection and breach of confidence, brought by an individual related to reporting of a criminal investigation.
- Acting for Liberty Global in relation to breach of confidence / breach of non-disclosure agreement proceedings threatened by The Miles Consultancy (“TMC”) as a result of Liberty Global declining to procure TMC’s services.
- Acted for Appleby, the offshore firm at the centre of the cyber-attack which led to the worldwide “Paradise Papers” reporting.
- Providing ongoing reputation management advice to leading Russian businessman Mikhail Fridman in relation to the “Trump Dossier”.
The reputation management team at Farrer & Co specialises in acting for high profile and wealthy individuals. An increasing share of the team's stellar client roster consists of major charities and sports governing bodies. The firm also represents a number of household name publications on the defendant side. Department head Julian Pike has been involved in several high-profile matters and also advises his clients on planning and preventing crises. As such, he handled reputation management issues for the Football Association and the England Football team throughout the 2018 World Cup, which included protecting the privacy of all individual players and their families. Key associates Tom Rudkin and Alicia Mendonça-Richards , who advises a large number of international clients thanks to her foreign language skills, are on the forefront of many cases.
James and Pippa Matthews (née Middleton)
The Economist Newspaper Limited
Lawn Tennis Association
Bauer Consumer Media Ltd
BMJ Publishing Group Limited
British Airline Pilots Association (BALPA)
- Providing crisis and reputation management advice to David Matthews, the father-in-law of Pippa Middleton, who was accused of committing sexual offences.
- Advising the FA and the England Football Team throughout the 2018 World Cup, providing reputation management advice to the FA, the team and individual players in order to manage media interest, press intrusion and to safeguard the privacy of players.
- Advising Lady Barbara Judge, former Chair of the Institute of Directors, in relation to a high-profile scandal that ultimately led to her resignation.
- Representing The BMJ Publishing Group in ongoing libel litigation brought by a doctor, in respect of its reporting of a decision by the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service.
- Acting for Julie Meyer, an American businesswoman, former Dragon’s Den judge, entrepreneur and founder and CEO of Ariadne Capital Partners, in relation to an aggressive campaign of online harassment being conducted against her by a number of unknown individuals.
Lee & Thompson LLP has a 'superb depth of industry knowledge' and acts for both defendants and claimants with a focus on representing celebrity clients against the media. The department led by Mike Brookes works closely with the firm's other departments to provide the entire creative industry with tailored legal advice. Brookes, who 'remains at the top of his game', played a key role in extensive phone hacking litigation against Newsgroup and the Mirror and receives regular instructions from high-profile individuals across a range of sectors. 'Star associate' Leo Dawkins has considerable experience across all areas of reputation management cases including defamation, privacy, harassment and data protection issues. Mark Stafford increasingly provides support to the reputation practice, representing clients from the music industry in disputes as well as giving pre-broadcast copyright clearance advice.
‘A superb depth of industry knowledge in addition to great legal skills.‘
‘The team bring a wealth of experience and no issue we have brought to them to advise on has been beyond their capability.‘
‘Experienced in acting for both claimants, for instance in phone-hacking litigation, and media defendants. A superb and well experienced team.‘
‘Leo Dawkins is hard-working and tenacious, knowledgeable and articulate. He is a star associate.’
Prince Moulay Hicham of Morocco
AC Grayling CBE
- Acting for Prince Moulay Hicham (third in line to the Moroccan throne) in his libel and data protection claim against Elaph Publishing Limited.
- Defending Channel 5 in a privacy claim brought by Mr Ali and his wife Mrs Aslam. The Claimants sued on the broadcast of an episode of “Can’t Pay? We’ll Take it Away”.
- Advised actor Jude Law in relation to various reputation protection matters against the tabloid press.
- Acting for the British philosopher, author, and prominent anti-Brexit campaigner AC Grayling CBE in a libel claim relating to false and defamatory allegations made against him on Twitter.
- Acted for businessman James Stunt in a claim against Associated Newspapers Limited for harassment, breach of privacy, and breach of the Data Protection Act.
Sitting within a heavyweight disputes firm, the reputation protection team at Mishcon de Reya LLP works closely with other groups within the firm such as the in-house cyber consultancy and cyber intelligence service. It is often called in to help resolve reputation management issues and regularly represents political figures and organisations. Practice head Emma Woollcott is particularly adept at new media and internet-related issues and gives urgent pre- and post-publication advice. She defended Elaph Publishing in the libel and data protection claim brought by Prince Moulay Hicham of Morocco, for instance.
Other key lawyers:
James Libson; Ramona Mehta
Margaret Hodge MP
- Advised Margaret Hodge MP on a matter of high political importance, raising issues of the Labour Party’s action on anti-Semitism.
- Secured a full apology over a defamatory tweet for the Italian actress and #MeToo campaigner Asia Argento.
- Defended Elaph Publishing in a claim brought by Prince Moulay Hicham of Morocco.
- Acting on behalf of clean energy processing plant Alphaco in Eastern Europe on a pioneering case on jurisdiction in defamation claims and the “mosaic principle”.
The 'terrific litigators and good tactitians' at Payne Hicks Beach take pride in handling sensitive reputation issues in an extraordinarily discrete way. The team is led by the 'incredibly knowledgeable' Hanna Basha, Lucas Moore and 'pin-sharp' Dominic Crossley and is well-known for advising on reputational attacks, commercial claims of confidence, as well as pre-publication issues and pursuing urgent interim injunctions. Apart from high-net-worth individuals, politicians and sportspeople, the firm's client list also includes private equity firms and executives. The 'diligent and creative' associate Andrew Willan is a name to note for libel, privacy and harassment claims.
Hanna Basha; Dominic Crossley; Lucas Moore
Other key lawyers:
Andrew Willan; Nick Grant
‘PHB’s reputation management team has an exceptional understanding of litigation strategy and meeting client needs.‘
‘Faultless partner-led client service that feels very bespoke and personal.’
‘Dominic Crossley possesses a unique combination of pin-sharpness and generous charm, making him a true pleasure to work with.’
‘Andrew Willan is both diligent and creative in equal (very large) measure.‘
‘Dominic Crossley is a wonderfully safe pair of hands who gets results, the person you want fighting for you when you are in the trenches.’
‘Hanna Basha is a fantastic addition to the team’
‘Andrew Willan is a rising star associate, very bright and hardworking.’
‘The team offer a complete package to clients: they understand the needs of their clients, they get the commercial and/or personal objectives (as the case may be), they are focused and clear, they work together well as a team, they manage expectations well, and they are tenacious in advancing (or defending) their clients’ interests.’
‘They are terrific litigators and delightful people – rare to get that combination at all, let alone as a combo running through the team.’
‘Dominic Crossley goes from strength to strength. He is a good ‘front-man’ with clients and opposing lawyers; he is brave (not reckless); he has excellent judgement; is cool-headed in a crisis (always solutions-focused) and he never loses sight of the clients’ objectives and gets them where they want (or need) to go.’
Daniel Poulter MP
Christopher Jefferies, Gerry McCann, Kate McCann, Jacqui Hames
The Dowler Family
- Represented Dr Daniel Poulter MP in his claim against Times Newspapers Limited in relation to allegations published in the Sunday Times.
- Acting for Ryan Thomas in relation to false allegations.
- Advising the Dowler family in relation to media issues and assist in handling interaction with the press and the police, particularly in relation to their privacy and protection from harassment.
- Acting for Don King pre-publication in relation to a highly defamatory allegations that were threatened to be published about him.
- Advised Christopher Jefferies, Gerry McCann, Kate McCann and Jacqui Hames in relation to the Judicial Review of the Government’s decision to terminate the Leveson Inquiry.
Pinsent Masons LLP's media defendant practice combines advising on libel claims with its 'unrivalled in-depth knowledge' of data privacy. It also demonstrates crucial understanding of technology , with 'strategically aware' practice head David Barker counting Google as one of the firm's core clients., representing the tech giant in the first UK "right to be forgotten" cases. Thanks to this high-profile client, the firm was also active for the defendants in Richard Lloyd v Google, a landmark case in the emerging field of data protection class actions. 'Formidable' senior associate Alex Keenlyside and associate Imogen Allen-Back are key pillars of the media and privacy disputes practice, acting for technology companies as well as more traditional media clients.
Other key lawyers:
Alex Keenlyside; Imogen Allen-Back
‘Pinsent Masons have carefully built one of the very top practices in this area, quietly getting more and more exposure to demonstrate their brilliance. They are now right at the apex of the top firms in this area in terms of quality.‘
‘When the case really matters to the client, these are the people I have no hesitation in telling my clients to turn to. I know they will deliver and I know the case is safe in their hands.‘
‘Pinsent Masons are supremely competent and also have strength right across the board.’
‘Some of their trainees are terrifyingly brilliant. Most importantly of all, they are all just absolutely lovely people. You want to work with them. You want to have them on your side.’
‘Pinsent Mason have unique insight into cases from both sides of claimant and defendant work, something increasingly unique in this area.‘
‘Pinsent Mason really are at the very top of this area and deserve recognition. They are not afraid to tackle head on new and challenging cases which push the boundaries of the law.’
‘Pinsent Masons offers both unrivalled in-depth specialist knowledge and experience of data law and related technology law as well as experience of more traditional media/reputation work.’
‘This practice is committed to clients, conscientious, knowledgeable in the law, efficient, easy to deal with, reliable and entirely worthy of being ranked as at the top of their field.’
‘David Barker and Alex Keenlyside make an extremely hard working, strategically aware, very tech savvy team.‘
‘Alex Keenlyside’s advice is always clear, timely, professional and comprehensive. He takes a very careful and measured approach when delivering advice.‘
‘Alex Keenlyside is a superb senior associate who is a future star in the field and has already established himself a leading media defendant lawyer.‘
‘Imogen Allen-Back has a stellar reputation as an associate who can be trusted with even the most complex or difficult litigation. She has already amassed experience which far surpasses her years’ qualified and she is noted for her calm intelligence and impressive tactical awareness.’
Google UK Limited
British Broadcasting Corporation
University of Durham
Media Lawyers Association (pro bono)
- Represented Google LLC on the two first “right to be forgotten” claims to be tried in the High Court in this jurisdiction.
- Represented the BBC in relation to the high-profile claim for breach of confidence brought by Appleby, the offshore law firm at the centre of the “Paradise Papers” mass data leak.
- Represented Google in a landmark case in the emerging field of data protection class actions, achieving a successful outcome for Google in its contested jurisdiction application.
- Representing the University of Durham and a senior employee in relation to a defamation claim brought by an alumnus.
- Representing Google in relation to a claim brought by an anonymous individual in relation to a blog entry which he objects to on the basis that it refers to his spent conviction.
Taylor Wessing LLP is active in both claimant and media defence cases, often advising on non-traditional challenges such as digital and non-media related threats to high-net-worth clients' reputation and privacy. Among the firms' areas of expertise are social media liability issues, cyber security and data breaches, "right to be forgotten" cases and GDPR removal requests. Leading media litigator and 'true master' Niri Shanmuganathan heads the 'adaptable' department, which also consists of key individuals Paul Glass and 'hugely knowledgeable' senior associate Michael Yates, who specialises in photo leaks, revenge porn and social media work. In addition to assisting claimant individuals and companies, as well as media defendants in the UK and US, team leader Shanmuganathan also covers a number of other areas. These include IPSO complaints, reporting restrictions in the Family Division and reputation issues arising from Coroners Court proceedings.
‘Taylor Wessing’s strength is that they have people who understand how the media works and are adaptable. They do not panic and always give good advice.’
‘Niri Shan is great to deal with when there is a crisis. The most pragmatic dispute solvers in the sector. If you want a negotiated solution, this is your firm.’
‘Niri Shan is the best lawyer in the country for engaging with publications in a non-aggressive way to arrive at quiet conclusions to challenging matters. He gets results that no other lawyer seems able to do. And he does this time and time again. A master of quiet negotiation.’
‘Michael Yates is hugely knowledgeable in his field, very efficient and gets results.’
‘Amazing clients, incredible knowledge, exceptional service.’
‘Very transparent, astute and active.’
‘They are quick and efficient and get results.’
‘A highly organised and efficient media team led by Niri Shan. They service their high end and HNW claimant clients extremely well; particularly as they have good relationships with defendant media organisations so issues can be resolved quickly.’
‘Both Niri Shan and Michael Yates are exceptional. Very innovative, knowledgable and client oriented.’
‘Niri Shan has been at the top of his game in this media area for a number of years. When I need to recommend a HNW individual or company with media legal issues, he is my first recommendation.’
‘The team has a high level of emotional intelligence.’
‘Michael Yates – brilliant, brilliant, brilliant – incredibly able, misses nothing, charming to deal with, super efficient. No need to look anywhere else.’
- Acted for an individual in the entertainment business who received a blackmail letter threatening to disclose false allegations of serious criminal conduct
- Advised a private individual on successfully obtaining reporting restrictions in order to protect her and her families’ identity.
- Advising a company following a major cyber attack during a fundraising exercise.
ACK Media Law LLP acts predominantly on the defendant side and excels at general advisory work to publishers, film, and TV broadcasters. The firm receives instructions from a wide spectrum of clients ranging from Associated Newspapers to E. L. James, author of the Fifty Shades trilogy. Team heads Sue Charles and 'pragmatic, efficient strategist' Susan Aslan provide pre-publication advice, assist with legal clearance issues and handle post-publication complaints ranging from libel and privacy to data protection issues, contempt of court matters and complaints to the Independent Press Standards Organisation. Vicky Edwards provides key support on a wide array of highlight cases.
Sue Charles; Susan Aslan
Other key lawyers:
‘Susan Aslan is fine-tuned to the pressures and priorities of her clients and their in-house lawyers. She is pragmatic, efficient, responsive, a good strategist and a safe pair of hands.‘
E.L. James/ Fifty Shades Limited
See Saw Films Limited
Reed Business Information Ltd
DVV Media Group
Casarotto Ramsey Associates
Channel Four Television Corporation
Associated Newspapers Ltd
- Provides ongoing advice on brand and reputation management and GDPR matters to E. L. James/Fifty Shade Limited, especially in relation to the new book The Mister.
- Advising on clearance, libel, and privacy issues on numerous projects that See Saw Films and See Saw Television are working on.
- Giving advice to Reed Business Information Limited on all pre-publication queries, post– publication complaints and legal clearance issues on their magazines.
- Advising DVV Media Group on brand and reputation management as well as privacy matters.
- Defending Channel Four Television Corporation against a breach of privacy claim regarding a television programme called 24 Hours in Police Custody.
Archerfield Partners LLP
Boutique law firm Archerfield Partners LLP is valued for pre-publication and crisis management advice on all media-related matters including malicious falsehood, confidentiality, trade secrets and GDPR/data protection issues. The team's client list consists of celebrities, ultra-high-net-worth individuals and publishing houses alike. In close collaboration with Macmillan Publishers, the firm not only gives pre-publication advice but also trains editors and other staff on relevant legal updates. Mark Bateman leads a team that also includes senior associate Charlotte Ward, who regularly acts for companies and entrepreneurs in relation to her commercial disputes practice.
Other key lawyers:
Kevin Bays, Matthew Dowd; Charlotte Ward
Tracy Dixon & family
Stringfellow Restaurants Ltd
- Complaint to Independent Press Standards Organisation on behalf of former England football team manager, Sam Allardyce, in relation to a series of Daily Telegraph articles.
- Representing Katie Price in a High Court misuse of private information claim.
- Acting for former model, Tracy Dixon, and her daughters in a substantial High Court privacy claim against South Yorkshire Police.
- Representing Ganapati Plc in relation to a potential claim for defamation and harassment.
- Retained to provide general advice in relation to reputation management for Hollywood actor Henry Cavill.
Bates Wells' defamation practice represents clients on both sides of reputation disputes. Campaigning groups and student unions are on the firm's client roster as are national politicians and foreign royalty. Department head Rupert Earle has worked on a number of ground-breaking cases throughout his career and senior associate Alex de Jongh focuses his practice on advising campaigning groups on the defamatory risks in their material. The firm also boasts social media expertise and regularly undertakes defamation cases involving online harassment, data protection and freedom of information.
Other key lawyers:
Alex de Jongh; Jessica Collings
Times Newspapers Limited
National Union of Students
Muslim Charities Forum
Faber & Faber
Canongate Books Limited
Royal Albert Hall
- Acted for Times Media in a ground-breaking case on whether success fees should be claimable from publishers in defamation and privacy cases.
Human rights firm Bindmans LLP's 'cutting-edge' reputation management team attracts attention for its expertise representing vulnerable individuals such as whistleblowers, among them Cambridge Analytica whistleblower Christopher Wylie. 'Stand-out individual' and department head Tamsin Allen takes on a wide array of matters including "right to be forgotten" issues and misuse of private information claims emanating from Worldcheck databases as well as traditional libel and defamation cases. She is also involved in matters relating to how libel law is being used to silence women making statements about abuse.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team works in the cutting edge of reputation management issues; choosing the appropriate avenue to assist clients’ concerns, such as high court proceedings; out of court negotiations ; and complaints to the Information Commissioner’s Office.
‘Bindmans are always willing to take on deserving cases, such as women being sued as a result of “#metoo” posts, as well as working pro bono and on CFAs. The quality of advice and client care is exceptional.’
‘Tamsin Allen is a stand-out individual in the area of reputation management – stellar quality.’
Christopher Wylie (Cambridge Analytica whistleblower)
Shahmir Sanni (Vote Leave whistleblower)
Peter Jukes & Byline Media
Mirror Group Newspapers
- Giving pre-publication and strategic advice to Christopher Wylie in relation to the risk of publishing confidential and defamatory information about Cambridge Analytica, SCL Elections and Facebook.
- Acting for Shahmir Sanni in relation to the risk of publishing confidential information about his experience working with Vote Leave.
- Acting for Alaedeen Sicri in a number of claims including libel, data protection and privacy against numerous publishers arising from false allegations made in reports following his arrest in the wake of the Manchester bombings. He had nothing to do with the attack, was released without charge and the press allegations were false.
- Acted for the Peter Jukes & Byline Media in defence of a prospective defamation claim brought by Mr Conrad Brown regarding a statement recorded and published in Mr Juke’s podcast.
- Acted for a professor at a London University regarding a dispute arising from a series of tweets.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP is very involved in reputation matters for its corporate clients and also fields a cutting-edge practice in confidential information and privacy matters. The firm's broad client base ranges from celebrity clients including footballers and pop stars to politicians and high-level executives. Following the merger of Berwin Leighton Paisner and Bryan Cave in April 2018, Graham Shear and Joby Davies are joint department heads of the defamation, media & privacy team. Kate Brimsted skilfully handles cases with a data aspect and senior associate Sarah McAtominey focuses her practice on reputational issues arising out of data breaches as well as sexual harassment allegations.
Graham Shear, Joby Davies
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP fields a team with unique knowledge of the commercial television sector led by the 'incredibly helpful' Duncan Lamont. The 'absolutely brilliant' firm acts for claimants and defendants alike and therefore boasts a genuine understanding of both sides of the table. Senior associate Claire Greaney, who is also admitted to practise as a barrister and solicitor in New Zealand, provides key support in on-going phone hacking litigation and regularly assists businesses in GDPR-compliant reactions to data breaches. Matters or clients with a sports aspect are often covered by associate Hannah Kent.
‘Duncan Lamont has been incredibly helpful, providing pragmatic and accessible advice at short notice.’
‘The team we deal with at Charles Russell Speechlys handle our work absolutely brilliantly. They are unfailingly helpful and quick to sort things.’
‘Duncan Lamont has been an absolute rock for us. His understanding of the law, combined with his flawless understanding, means that he is able to tailor his advice perfectly. You couldn’t ask for someone more in tune with your thinking. A delight to work with.’
Channel 4 News
Russia TV Today Limited
- Privacy litigation against News Group Newspapers in relation for various celebrity claimants: Tina O’Brien, Ryan Thomas, Jimmi Harkishin, Les Dennis, Kym Marsh, among others
- Privacy litigation against News Group Newspapers for various high-profile claimants: Samantha Janus, Mark Womack, among others
- Providing pre-publication advice concerning compliance, libel, privacy and general commercial litigation to Channel 4 News.
- Libel, harassment and data protection litigation for The Times leader writer and columnist Oliver Kamm.
- Representing ITV in defamation and privacy litigation against Michael McGrane.
Clintons provides pragmatic advice across the full range of reputation management and privacy issues. The firm mainly acts for well-known musicians, actors and sportsmen and continues to be heavily involved in mobile voicemail interception litigation against various defendants. The 'helpful and supportive' team, which is headed by the 'very accessible and friendly' Roddy Chisholm Batten also has strong ties to the firm's offices in Los Angeles, offering its celebrity clients a gateway for claims in the United States and especially against social media platforms based in this jurisdiction. Legal executive Caroline Hrabi provides key support to the reputation practice, with particular expertise in phone hacking claims.
Roddy Chisholm Batten
Other key lawyers:
‘The team were helpful and supportive in all of their communications throughout the process. I would have no hesitation in using them again or recommending them to others.‘
‘Roddy Chisholm Batten was very accessible and friendly at all times and explained legal jargon and the process clearly and precisely.‘
‘Caroline Hrabi constantly updated me on how the the case was proceeding and nothing was too much trouble.’
‘Roddy Chisholm Batten and Caroline Hrabi are very easy to talk with and both were empathetic to my case, which was a great comfort.’
Denise Van Outen
Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen (TV presenter & interior designed)
Des Walker (former England footballer)
Joey Barton (former Newcastle & England footballer)
Jack Ryder (former EastEnders and Holby City actor)
Kacey Ainsworth (former EastEnders and Grantchester actress)
- Acting for Denise Van Outen (TV presenter), Kara Tointon, Gillian Taylforth, Natalie Cassidy, Joe Swash, James Alexandrou, Ray Panthaki (all current or former EastEnders actors), Colin Salmon (actor) and Sophie Ellis-Bextor (singer and song writer) in respect of their individual phone hacking claims against NGN Limited.
- Acting for David Walliams, Danny Dyer, Lily Allen, Tony Hadley, Daisy Lowe, Cristian Solimeno (former Footballer’s Wives actor), Tracy Ann Oberman (former EastEnders actress), Rob Kazinsky (former EastEnders actor), Kacey Ainsworth and Darren Hales (former EastEnders and current Grantchester actress and her husband), Lindsey Coulson (former EastEnders actress), Jack and Avis Ryder (former EastEnders actor and his mother) and Joey Barton (ex-Newcastle United footballer) in respect of their individual phone hacking claims against MGN Limited
- Acting for Danny Dyer in defamation/misuse of private information claim against The Mirror.
- Acting for Aurelie Eboue in a defamation claim against the Sunday Mirror.
- Acting for rapper Jonny ‘Itch’ Fox in defamation claim against six individual defendants.
Foot Anstey's reputation management team shines with its deep understanding of how the media and newspapers operate. Department head Tony Jaffa focuses his practice on all aspects of publishing law and advises on a variety of related matters such as reputation management and data protection. Managing associate Jennifer Agate, who leads the firm's reputation management expert team, provides advice to individual, corporate and charity clients with particular expertise in civil and criminal aspects of social media and cyber crime. Commercial litigator Peter Singfield is also often involved in the firm's reputation work.
Other key lawyers:
The Independent & Evening Standard
Reach Plc (Formerly Trinity Mirror Plc)
Mirror online pre-publication advice
JPI Media (formerly Johnston Press)
Newsquest Media Group
Midland News Association
Archant Community Media
British Forces Broadcasting Service
- Providing editorial and litigation legal support to the Independent and Evening Standard.
- Successfully defended Reach Plc against two defamation claims brought in the High Court by Tariq Alsaifi.
- Acting on behalf of Trinity Mirror in a claim brought by Michael McGrane over an article reporting the claimant’s conviction in Australia.
- Providing online pre-publication advice to Mirror Online.
Hamlins LLP focuses its 'very high-standard' media team almost entirely on the claimant side, for example acting for Labour MPs, corporate individuals and sportspeople. The firm also acted as lead solicitor in phone hacking litigation against News Group Newspapers including preparation for a handful of trials. The team has been growing steadily under the leadership of the 'urbane and diplomatic' Christopher Hutchings: Callum Galbraith, who joined the firm from Russells Solicitors in 2018, brings particular expertise in resolving pre-publication disputes to the table. In April 2019, the team also welcomed senior associate Alex Cochrane 'with a wealth of knowledge' from Brett Wilson LLP.
‘Hamlins have done some brilliant work over the last few years and seem to be getting stronger.‘
‘They are of a very high standard in terms of their commitment to their clients, their understanding of this area of the law and their efficiency in conducting litigation.’
‘Christopher Hutchings and Callum Galbraith are the stand-out individuals.‘
‘Their strength is in their ability to give factual, sound advice without making it over complicated. They are clearly incredibly professional but they are always incredibly personable as well, which is key to building trust and lasting relationships between client and lawyer.’
‘Callum Galbraith is excellent at communicating position, time frames and choices in a concise manner and is very friendly and approachable at all times.’
‘Alex Cochrane brings with him a wealth of knowledge from previous firms. Very strategic approach’
‘Top notch defamation and privacy specialists, smoothly managed by the urbane and diplomatic Chris Hutchings.‘
‘Hamlins lawyers were the best law firm I have dealt with in any way shape or form.’
‘Everything Hamlins have done has been exceptional.’
Shakir Ali and Shahida Aslam
Anna Turley MP
Lead Solicitor for all News Group claims
Gavin Shuker MP
Ian Austin MP
Individual Phonehacking Claimants – NGN
Individual Phonehacking Claims – MGN
Hope Not Hate
Can’t Pay We’ll Take it Away
- Acting for Lord Sheikh in a major libel case, launched December 2018, arising from an article published in August 2018 by Mail Online (Associated Newspapers).
- Acting for Shakir and Shahida Ali, filmed as part of “Can’t Pay? We’ll Take It Away!”, in their privacy claim against Channel 5.
- Acting for Labour MP for Redcar, Anna Turley MP, in her claim for libel, privacy and data protection against Unite the Union and Steve Walker.
- Acting for the Labour MP for Luton South, Gavin Shuker MP, in his defamation claim against Associated Newspapers Limited, which settled on terms including the publication of an agreed apology and payment of substantial damages.
Reputation, privacy and sports specialist practice Himsworth Scott was founded in September 2018 by former Schillings lawyers Matt Himsworth, Chris Scott and Jessica Lovell. The firm helps clients through the complete life-cycle of serious issues and makes the best possible use of legal tools and methods to protect a reputation without entering into litigation. Himsworth works with sports clients, whereas Scott's particular strength is acting for ultra-high-net-worth individuals. Associate Steven Hudson, who joined from Harbottle & Lewis LLP, advises clients on proactive measures and also undertakes more traditional pre- and post-publication advice.
Matt Himsworth; Chris Scott
Aston Villa FC
Rugby Players Association
Professional Cricketers Association
- Acted for the Aston Villa FC player, Jake Doyle-Hayes in relation to a data breach on the RTE Ireland website, which resulted in false and offensive statements being made on the broadcaster’s website about Jake.
Defamation and privacy issues are central to the internationally-focused media reputation management team at Howard Kennedy LLP. The firm has a particular strength in new media, advising on matters related to imposter accounts, defamatory content and publication of confidential information on social media. Practice head Mark Stephens CBE regularly handles cases for corporations and consults over libel reform both by policy makers and media companies. Associate to watch Elizabeth Morley predominantly acts for defendants and also provides media and publishing agents with pre-publication advice.
Mark Stephens CBE
Other key lawyers:
‘Elizabeth Morley provides incredible client service.‘
Democratic Press S.A.
- Representing Vernon Unsworth in relation to his claims against Elon Musk both here and in America, following defamatory comments made by Mr Musk about him on Twitter and via email to a media organisation following the Thai cave rescue, which Unsworth was involved in.
The 'small but highly effective' reputation management and privacy department at Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP demonstrates particular strength in matters related to the firm's expertise in family, private client and employment law. Team head Jeremy Clarke-Williams, who is regarded a 'leading light', has ample experience in all aspects of libel, reputation management and privacy law and acts for members of parliament, celebrities and private individuals like. In addition to her expertise in litigation, 'hard-working' associate director Adele Ashton also offers pre-publication advice.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is a highly specialised unit with exceptional experience and skills in this area.‘
‘Aside from the high quality of legal advice, the personal interest and commitment demonstrated by Jeremy Clarke-Williams and his colleagues are especially noteworthy.’
‘Jeremy Clarke-Williams’ advice from start to finish was inch perfect.‘
‘Adele Ashton combines fighting her clients’ corner with a good dose of pragmatism.‘
‘Jeremy Clarke-Williams is a true expert in the field and an expert case manager, showing perfect judgement and client-handling skills. He has unrivalled experience in the field. He remains calm in high pressure situations and can always be trusted to make the right call when difficult decisions are required.‘
Howard Kennedy (photographer)
Two police officers
Christ Church college, Oxford
Two police constables
- Represented Zahir Monir in his successful libel claim against Steve Wood, Chairman of Bristol UKIP and UKIP Parliamentary candidate for Bristol South.
- Acting for photographer Howard Kennedy in proceedings of defamation, negligence and breaches of the Data Protection Act 1998 against the National Trust for Scotland in relation to a photoshoot on their property.
- Acting for Triaster Ltd, a software company, in a libel action against Dun & Bradstreet.
- Advising the Governing Body of Christ Church college, Oxford in relation to complaints which have been made against the Dean of Christ Church.
- Acted for two police constables whose images were broadcast without their consent by Channel 5.
The 'very good and professional' Withers LLP has a long-established practice providing a variety of clients with pragmatic and holistic advice on communication, information and reputation management issues. The team almost exclusively represents claimants in their cases against the media. The 'clever and thoughtful' Jo Sanders joined from Harbottle & Lewis LLP to head the UK department while Amber Melville-Brown has taken the lead of the firm's global media and reputation team based in the US, effectively offering clients a round-the-clock service. Another name to note is associate Andrew Fremlin-Key, who is building a specialist focus in the sports sector.
Jo Sanders; Amber Melville-Brown
Other key lawyers:
‘The team’s stellar reputation is definitely enhanced by the arrival of the very talented Jo Sanders.’
‘Jo Sanders is a clever, thoughtful and creative lawyer.’
‘Andrew Fremlin-Key is great.‘
‘The quality of their work is first class.‘
‘Highly responsive – they gave sensible measured advice and ensured that I got the best possible result in the circumstances.‘
‘Withers provides excellent levels of service and compares very favourably with its competitors‘
Racing Point Limited and Racing Point UK Limited
Professor Christina Slade
- Advising Racing Point Limited and Racing Point UK Limited on media and communication aspects of one of the largest corporate sporting deals of 2018.
- Providing Tatiana Akhmedova with media and reputation advice surrounding her high-profile divorce enforcement proceedings.
- Advising high-profile academic Professor Christina Slade on a variety of reputational issues associated with the end of her tenure as Vice Chancellor of Bath Spa University.
- Advice to a member of the English aristocracy in relation to a breach of contract and subsequent privacy invasion by an employee.
- Acted for a professional services client and its partners in a successful complaint to the ICO against Google to secure removal of derogatory material posted as part of a harassment campaign.
BLM focuses its reputation management practice on defending claims brought against a wide range of clients, in particular insurers, reinsurers, government bodies and police forces, alongside more traditional media such as magazines, newspapers and marketing companies. The team that advises on both contentious and non-contentious issues is led by Tim Smith, who is an expert on defamation and malicious falsehood. Steve Kuncewicz acts mainly for corporates and Julia Varley regularly assists local authorities. Furthermore, the department has been actively involved in government consultations on defamation reform, costs in defamation proceedings and internet defamation.
Medical Protection Society
- Instructed by City of London Police in relation to a warning notice published by the Financial Conduct Authority and statements made in the course of their duties in connection with a company and its chairman, which market a cryptocurrency product.
- Acted for the City of London Police and its insurer QBE in relation to a defamation claim concerning a statement published on their website.
- Acting for London Quadrant Housing Trust defending a claim brought against it and its directors for breach of confidence, conspiracy by use of unlawful means and defamation.
- Acted for the English Bridge Union and its reinsurer RSA in successfully applying to strike out a claim brought against it by a member in relation to the transfer of “master points”.
- Acting for the Anglo-Portuguese Society and its insurer RSA in the defence of a claim for defamation against it and a number of its members brought by its former chairman and members of his family.
Collyer Bristow LLP handles reputational issues for individuals, including clients seeking compensation for breach of privacy claims arising out of the misuse of private information. The team headed by Steven Heffer is also heavily involved in phone hacking litigation and acts for 9 claimants in High Court claims against News Group Newspapers. In addition, Heffer has acted in sexual harassment cases involving senior executives and assists charities with reputational threats. Associate Nichola Leach brings expertise in matters related to social media and the GDPR to the table.
Other key lawyers:
Caroline Nokes MP
Paladin – National Stalking Advocacy Service
Phone hacking victims (200+)
- Acting for actor David Tennant in his claim against News Group Newspapers for misuse of private information.
- Acting for Colin Jackson in his claim against News Group Newspapers for misuse of private information.
- Acting for Sophia Myles in claim against News Group Newspapers for misuse of private information. Phone hacking claim.
- Acting for Eddie Irvine in claim against News Group Newspapers for misuse of private information.
- Representing a leading financial technology firm and its founder in a dispute with the London Evening Standard concerning the publication of defamatory allegations and details of spent criminal convictions.
DLA Piper's defamation and reputation management team acts on a national as well as a global level and is able to rely on an expanded legal toolbox due to its position as an international full-service law firm, including a data protection unit. The London team is headed by Ruth Hoy and Duncan Calow with regional support from Richard Taylor in Birmingham, Andrew Smith in Manchester and Paul Stone in Leeds. Legal director Claire Sng assists clients with securing remedies at a pre-action stage via "right to be forgotten" and platform take-down procedures.
Ruth Hoy; Duncan Calow; Richard Taylor; Andrew Smith; Paul Stone
Other key lawyers:
American Chemistry Society
Taylor & Francis
- Advising Pan Macmillan, Informa UK and Springer Nature on book and journal titles on a range of subjects.
One of Fieldfisher's areas of expertise in terms of its reputation management practice is defending claims against defamatory user-generated content on client websites. Furthermore, the practice assists high-net-worth individuals with reputation management issues, both in isolation as well as within the context of related litigation. The team around department head Colin Gibson also acts for public bodies and regulators in relation to allegations of defamation. Senior associate Nathan Capone is a key figure. He takes on a number of cases independently and also runs the firm's defamation and privacy law blog.
Other key lawyers:
Adam Sturt; Nathan Capone
- Advising online financial newswire ADVFN plc in relation to various claims and applications made against it in relation to defamatory user-generated content posted on its bulletin boards.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP's defamation and reputation practice headed by the 'exceptional' Alan Watts applies a multi-jurisdictional approach, drawing on the firm's resources around the world. It is therefore a go-to practice for major multinational corporations. In this litigation-focused area of law, the practice promotes alternative dispute resolution. The team is also actively involved in handling cases surrounding the #metoo movement, advising companies on how to address allegations. Neil Blake's wide-ranging practice includes assisting FTSE 250 mining companies with their reputation management.
Other key lawyers:
Neil Blake; Angela Liu
‘HSF have a very strong litigation practice but know how to manage matters outside court, which is vital in reputation management.’
‘Alan Watts is an exceptional lawyer. Very good at client management and the tactical elements of managing reputation issues.’
- Acting for a number of directors of the Stobart Group Limited in relation to a defamation claim brought by another director in relation to an RNS announcement.
- Advising Lord Sugar in connection with false and misleading online native advertising that uses his name and image to promote services without authorisation.
- Conducting an independent review into allegations made against Ted Baker plc’s CEO.
- Advising EasyJet plc in respect of the airing of a TV documentary relating to the training of new pilots and certain amendments that were required to an episode of the documentary
- Advised Vodafone plc regarding allegations made in relation to its international tax affairs and the ultimate beneficial ownership of minority shareholdings in a number of its African businesses.
The skilled practitioners at Ince have insight on both sides of the table, as they act for claimants and defendants alike. Nick Goldstone and the 'tactically brilliant' Robin Shaw head the reputation practice that emerged from the fusion of Ince & Co and Gordon Dadds in December 2018. Shaw has been acting for Private Eye for more than 20 years, giving pre-publication advice on each edition of the magazine and dealing with any libel claims that may arise.
Nick Goldstone; Robin Shaw
‘Robin Shaw is an exceptional individual: he has extensive knowledge and experience – and phenomenally good judgement.’
‘Robin Shaw has unparalleled experience in media-related litigation.’
‘Robin’s legal knowledge and tactical brilliance, are key. Underestimate him at your own peril.’
Pressdram Limited (publisher of Private Eye)
Telegraph Media Group (publisher of Daily and Sunday Telegraph) Telegraph
Mr John Lydon
Marc John, a film producer
Firstfind Limited (owners of China White trademark)
Remka, Inc. (the 8 year old YouTube star)
Mr Victor Chandler
- Acting for the Daily Telegraph in litigation brought by Sir Philip Green to prevent publication of allegations of sexual and racial discrimination.
- Legalling all issues in advance of publication for Private Eye.
- Advising Private Eye Magazine on a large range of legal services ranging from litigation, defamation, libel, privacy, intellectual property and contractual disputes.
The reputation and media team at Kingsley Napley LLP specialises in acting for high-net-worth individuals from sports, entertainment and politics in matters of public interest. Thanks to the firm's top-notch criminal department, the team, led by Charlotte Harris , also handles a number of cases with a criminal element to them. Additionally, Harris regularly assists in matter with a politicial, religious or family law component. Associate Helen Morris is recommended for her strength in data protection law and pre-publication advice.
Other key lawyers:
‘Awesome team led by Charlotte Harris – they are clever and creative, tenacious, and always go the extra mile.’
‘Charlotte Harris is extremely experienced and very well regarded. She makes herself available to clients 24/7, and is intelligent, pragmatic, and creative.’
‘Helen Morris is strong in all areas. Very intelligent and has great people skills. She can master a large amount of material quickly and apply the relevant law, but she is also great with clients and witnesses, and is a strong negotiator.’
Dame Shirley Bassey
Roofoods Ltd t/a Deliveroo
Lady Colin Campbell
- Acting for Rebekah Vardy, the wife of Premier League footballer Jamie Vardy, and star of “I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here 2018”.
- Taking responsibility for all of Dame Shirley Bassey’s commercial and personal affairs, ranging from contractual matters to protection of her privacy and reputation.
- Instructed by Damian Green MP in relation to public allegations made by journalist Kate Maltby and Bob Quick, a former senior police officer, in part of what has become known as the Westminster sex scandal.
- Acting for billionaire businessman and owner of C&C Alpha Group, Bhanu Choudhrie, as well as family members, in a number of areas.
- Advising the global online food delivery business Deliveroo in relation to reputation matters.
Manleys Solicitors delivers a 'very good quality of work' and acts on both sides of reputation management. The firms engages both with national media outlets to defend matters as well as with public figures and private individuals in pursuit of their defamation claims. The practice is led by Mark Manley and Leanne Wheeler, who both draw on an excellent network in the North-West. Senior associate Katie Mickleburgh is 'very easy to deal with' and has ample experience in removing damaging online content for her clients.
Mark Manley; Leanne Wheeler
Other key lawyers:
‘Mark Manley has excellent contacts in the North-West and the team, though small, is very able and friendly. The quality of work is also very good.’
‘Mark Manley has very good people skills.’
‘Katie Micklenburgh is approachable and very easy to deal with, as is Leanne Wheeler.’
‘Go-to firm in Manchester for libel, privacy and reputation issues. Good choice if looking for a non-London firm.’
‘Leanne Wheeler has excellent client handling skills and a strong and robust litigation lawyer who is not afraid to take a case to court if necessary.’
‘Mark Manley demonstrates exceptional knowledge of social media law while also fully understanding the PR and reputational context, giving him a very strong foundation to base his recommendations on.‘
Conservative and Unionist Party
20th Century Fox
Trent Alexander Arnold
- Instructed in a matter concerning highly defamatory material which was posted on social media regarding Playworks Limited (Panacea Nightclub), Manchester City Football Club and International French football player Benjamin Mendy.
Acting for both claimants and defendants, Osborne Clarke LLP's media and information law team is made up of 'uniformly excellent lawyers' and takes on complex reputational matters with an international element. Thanks to the 'energetic and very client-focused' department head Ashley Hurst's expertise in data privacy, the team also regularly assists internet platforms with information law and provides 'excellent' data breach advice. The 'indefatigable' Charlie Wedin and 'thoughtful' senior associate Alexander Vakil provide key support, especially in relation to data and cyber security crises.
‘Ashley Hurst is a stand-out lawyer in the UK for the emerging area of digital reputation management. He has been at the forefront of this area and led many interesting cases.’
‘Osborne Clarke is a dynamic and expanding practice with an impressive range of national and international clients. The service is excellent and client relationships are carefully tended. The quality of the lawyers is uniformly excellent.’
‘Ashley Hurst is energetic and very client-focused ,he gives practical advice that clients like.’
‘A richly deserved reputation for being at the forefront of the field, particularly in respect of data breaches and online and cyber hacks.‘
‘Charlie Wedin is indefatigable on behalf of his clients. He never stops until he has the problem squared-away and the breach or hack neutralised.’
Automattic (owners of WordPress)
GAMA Healthcare Limited
- Acting for Qatar Airways in malicious falsehood proceedings arising from an online video published by Al Arabiya Group.
- Representing Appleby in relation to a dispute with the BBC and The Guardian concerning the “Paradise Papers”.
- Pre-publication and post-publication libel and other content related matters for the Health Service Journal (HSJ).
- Acting for a former senior banker at a Russian bank, David Longmuir, in a long-running libel claim brought by Svetlana Lokhova.
- Representing GAMA Healthcare in two matters in which competitors sought to disparage the company and its products to its customers through the use of false and misleading sales emails.
The 'efficient and prompt' media and celebrity specialist Russells Solicitors acts predominantly for claimants, particularly for clients from the music and entertainment sectors. In this capacity, the practice headed by Steven Tregear often negotiates with in-house lawyers at major media outlets to achieve the best possible outcome for their client list. Apart from handling the usual range of reputation and privacy issues, John Reid, who 'provides superb client care', has also been involved in a number of voicemail tapping cases.
Other key lawyers:
‘Russells have some very high profile clients and provide efficient and prompt advice. Able to deal with urgent issues at short notice.’
‘John Reid is very good and provides superb client care.’
‘The team is hugely knowledgeable, strategic and most important extremely good with clients.’
Modest! Management (managers of One Direction, Little Mix etc)
Mark Wright and Michelle Keegan
Kilimanjaro Live Limited
The Estate of George Michael
Bobby Gillespie (frontman of Primal Scream)
- Handling a wide range of reputation management issues for the singer and former X-factor presenter Cheryl Tweedy, including ongoing privacy and harassment issues following the birth of her son.
- Ongoing reputation management work for the estate of George Michael, including ground-breaking work related to the right to privacy of a deceased person and their family.
- Acting for Kilimanjaro Live in a libel dispute with representatives of online ticket reselling marketplace, Viagogo.
Squire Patton Boggs offers the traditional range of reputation management services and regularly applies a cross-practice, cross-border approach to its cases. The firm's client roster includes corporations from a wide variety of industry sectors such as sport, telecom, media and energy. Stephen Sampson and Carlton Daniel head the team. Associate Peter Lees is a name to note, especially when it comes to assisting suppliers with defamation disputes. In addition, the practice benefits from international affairs adviser Matthew Kirk's expertise in risk strategy, cyber security and political risk.
Stephen Sampson; Carlton Daniel
Other key lawyers:
Swan Turton LLP
Swan Turton LLP's main area of expertise consists of dealing with high-profile corporate clients and individuals. The team around department head Catherine Fehler also takes on defendant work, especially in form of pre- and post-publication work, with a discreet and effective approach to complex and sensitive matters. Consultant Rupert Grey and senior associate Anne Mannion assist with a significant amount of work in reputation management. Partners from other related practice areas such as film and TV or advertising and photography provide additional support tailored to each client's needs.
Ennio Morricone – Oscar winning composer and conductor
Angela Flowers Gallery Ltd – contemporary art galleries
Peter Green – legendary guitarist and songwriter
Peter James – famous crime author
Jerry Dammers – legendary musician and songwriter
PEI Media – online financial sector publications
Don Broco – well known band
Raw Power Management – Artist management company
- Advising Angela Flowers Gallery in various matters.
- Retained to provide general advice in relation to reputation management for Ennio Morricone, a legend of the music and film worlds and multiple award winning composer and conductor.
- Instructed by international best selling author of crime fiction Peter James on reputation management and defamation matters.
- Acting for PEI Media on both pre-and post-publication in areas of defamation and privacy.
- Dealing with defamation, privacy and reputation management issues for well-known band Don Broco.
With special expertise in sports, media and entertainment, Brabners LLP provides high levels of preventative advice and urgent crisis management. Additionally, the 'very responsive hands-on' team led by Paul Lunt and Philip Steele assists clients with internet take-downs as well as with a wide array of proceedings including libel, slander, privacy and harassment claims. Steele is best know for 24/7 crisis management and dealing with threatened publications or broadcasts; Lunt combines reputation management issues with his commercial litigation practice. Head of employment and sport Lydia Edgar is often involved in the firm's reputation matters.
Paul Lunt; Philip Steele
Other key lawyers:
‘Very responsive and excellent on providing/suggesting detail, more hands on than other teams.’
‘I have worked with Philip Steele and Paul Lunt and found both to be excellent.’
‘Great at giving feedback and suggestions promptly and keeping us in the loop on developments in the case.’
- Defended England Cricket Vice Captain, Ben Stokes, against charges of affray arising from a fight in Bristol in September 2017.
Acting for both claimants and defendants, the 'progressive' Brett Wilson LLP conducts libel, privacy, data protection and harassment cases with a particular focus on online publication matters. The firm's defamation and privacy team headed by 'innovator' Iain Wilson also undertakes "right to be forgotten" and other internet-related claims. 'Thoughtful high-quality lawyer' Max Campbell regularly advises on harassment, stalking and revenge porn cases; the 'friendly and approachable' solicitor Tom Double also provides key support, especially in matters with a litigious aspect.
‘An excellent niche firm specialising in media and communications law, providing sound advice at a reasonable cost.’
‘Iain Wilson has done extremely well to build up a successful small firm in this area.’
‘Max Campbell is impressive in his attention to detail and the care he takes with cases.’
‘Tom Double is very bright and on-the-ball.’
‘There is a core team working at Brett Wilson and each of them is a specialist in the area of reputation management. They apply a very innovative approach and use the legal remedies available in novel ways to achieve the client’s aims.’
‘Iain Wilson is superb. Extremely knowledgeable and very clever.’
‘Iain Wilson is an innovator in this field. He is constantly looking for new ways to deal with the problems which his clients face.’
‘The firm’s main strengths are its long experience in the media field, especially in dealing with harassment injunctions and online publication cases, and depth of legal knowledge.’
‘Brett Wilson are a go-to firm for reputation management issues. They have a team of dedicated and knowledgeable information law and reputation management specialists, using the law in novel and innovative ways to achieve the best results for clients. Their client care is excellent. ‘
‘Highly recommend this law firm as their service is second to none.’
‘Elisabeth Mason is a stand-out associate in this area, and is widely respected for her exceptional industry, judgement, knowledge and client-management. She is not afraid to roll up her sleeves when required and delivers excellent results. I cannot recommend her highly enough and she would be my first-choice associate in this area.’
Alison Morgan, QC
Association of British Bookmakers Ltd
Life 2009 Ltd
- Bringing defamation claims against the Daily Mail and The Times on behalf of Alison Morgan QC.
- Brought a defamation/harassment claim for Kim Suttle against an individual who ran a vigilante Facebook group anonymously.
- Acting for George Galloway in relation to committal proceedings arising from breach of a settlement agreement.
- Defending ABBL (Association of British Bookmakers) and its spokesperson in defamation proceedings brought by Matt Zarb-Cousin, a spokesperson for the Campaign for Fairer Gambling.
- Defending Suhad Sadik in a defamation claim brought by her brother-in-law.
Burges Salmon LLP's defamation and reputation management team acts for a broad client base with a focus on corporate and public sector claimants. The firm has 'good all-round knowledge' and advises on threats published by a wide array of media outlets including more radio broadcasts and newspaper articles as well as tweets and other user-generated content. IP expert Jeremy Dickerson leads the practice; the 'efficient and user-friendly' senior associate Richard Binns advises on online issues and social media.
Other key lawyers:
‘Good all-round knowledge of reputation management law; efficient and alive to clients’ key concerns.’
‘Richard Binns is efficient and user-friendly. Good eye for detail and adopts a sensible, client-focused approach to litigation where reputational concerns are at stake. Responsive, a great communicator and a pleasure to work with.’
The Met Office
- Representing the Met Office on reputation management and press relations.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP offers reputation management services from five key offices across the UK. Privacy work for senior individuals at board level is one of the firm's areas of expertise. Furthermore, the practice specialises in claimant work and provides defamation advice to many existing clients of the global law firm. Reputation and corporate brand management expert Andrew Terry heads the team, together with Michael Clavell-Bate, who is based in Manchester. Associate Eileen Weinert brings expertise in working on technical disputes to the table.
Andrew Terry; Michael Clavell-Bate
Other key lawyers:
- Acting for Mr John Berylson, Chairman of Millwall FC, against Mr Stephen Norris in relation to a defamatory tweet.
- Representing BUQ in obtaining privacy injunctions to prevent the publication of highly personal information relating to a CEO of a FTSE 100 Company.
Keystone Law helps a range of clients from celebrities to large corporates protect their reputation. The firm acts for claimants and defendants alike and has special expertise in matters related to intellectual property violations, as well as brand exploitation and protection. The 'extremely accomplished' department head Jonathan Coad takes on the majority of the workload in this practice area. He receives key support from Sofia Syed, who provides advice to ultra-high-net-worth individuals and handles matters with an employment aspect, such as contentious terminations.
Lewis Silkin LLP's 'down-to-earth and relatable' reputation management team works closely with the firm's employment practice, assisting high-profile clients with sensitive reputational issues. 'Calm and competent' department leader Adam Glass specialises in pre-publication clearance work; in particular advising trade publisher Haymarket media on all of its titles such as "Campaign", "Third Sector" and its automotive press publications. Giles Crown acts for high-profile and high-net-worth clients and the 'technically good' key figure Karen Baxter handles cases entailing an overlap with employment and partnership law.
‘Real quality in the team (both breadth and depth), as good as (if not better) than the large international city firms.’
‘Adam Glass is an exceptional litigator. He is extremely tenacious and will fight the client’s corner to the end. He has excellent judgement, always gives sound, fair and practical advice and always gets results. He is definitely someone you want on your side.’
‘Lewis Silkin’s lawyers are really down to earth . They have great technically knowledge and provide practical, commercial advice.’
‘Karen Baxter is great. She is technically very good, gives practical advice, can be contacted easily and is very responsive.’
‘Adam Glass gave clear, incisive advice. He was calm, competent and accommodating throughout, which was hugely helpful.’
The Old Vic
Deciem UK Ltd and Deciem Beauty Group Inc
Splash News and Picture Agency
Sir Martin Sorrell
- Represented Dr Carpos-Young in a defamation claim following wrongful dismissal and victimisation from the Royal Academy of Music.
- Following investigation into claims of sexual harassment by Kevin Spacey during his tenure at The Old Vic, the firm has been advising the theatre on its development of a pioneering workplace scheme called ‘The Guardians Programme’.
- Continuing advice to Suzuki in relation to its sponsorship and celebrity endorsement agreements,
- Appointed by the global Buddhist organisation, RIGPA to conduct a global investigation concerning allegations of abuse by the retired Tibetan Buddhist lama Sogyal Rinpoche.
Michelmores LLP's reputation management practice stands out for its expertise advising charities. The firm is involved in a lot of contentious work as one of its major clients, PETA Foundation UK Ltd., often stand their ground and take legal proceedings all the way. Senior associate Jayne Clemens heads the team, which receives an increasing number of instructions related to social media, fake news and user-generated content. Peter Sigler covers all matters related to litigation, while associate Charlotte Bolton advises on issues with an IP aspect.
‘The media team is small but very responsive to urgent problems for their clients.’
‘Jayne Clemens is very good in the media field, as is international head Peter Sigler.’
PETA Foundation UK Ltd.
Gemalto UK Limited
Fintellect Publishing Limited
- Represented the UK arm of PETA in relation to claims made by Loro Parque, one of Spain’s largest tourist attractions.
- Advising the successful bidder, Gemalto, in relation to a high profile procurement dispute between Her Majesty’s Passport Office and De La Rue, over the contract to manufacture the new “blue passports”.
- Providing pre-publication advice on a range of matters to Fintellect Publishing Limited.
Shoosmiths LLP acts in reputation and crisis management matters for its corporate client base and advises on online publication and social media strategies. The firm, especially co-department head Mark Elder, is also involved in a large number of telephone voicemail interception and phone hacking claims on behalf of a variety of high-profile individuals. Team co-head Kath Livingston focuses her practice on the commercial side of reputation management, advising on cases involving issues such as trade libel, internet defamation and campaign activity.
Kath Livingston; Mark Elder
University of Bolton
- Represented Andrew Cole in a mobile telephone voicemail interception (phone hacking) complaint against MGN Limited, securing a confidential settlement.
- Represented Jennifer Ellison in a mobile telephone voicemail interception (phone hacking) complaint against MGN Limited, securing a confidential settlement.
- Represented Dwight Yorke in a mobile telephone voicemail interception (phone hacking) complaint against MGN Limited, securing a confidential settlement.
- Represented Danielle Lloyd in a mobile telephone voicemail interception (phone hacking) complaint against MGN Limited, securing a confidential settlement.
Simmons & Simmons advise high-profile corporate clients, providing them with pre-publication and social media advice. When assisting large institutions or their senior individuals, the firm often handles reputation issues across multiple jurisdictions. In addition to its banking clientele, the 'intelligent' team headed by Robert Allen and the 'sensible and commercially minded' Paul Baker receives instructions from hedge funds, asset managers, FinTech companies and challenger banks. Allen's practice is focused on remedial steps required following a data breach; Baker is experienced at leading and managing High Court defamation proceedings.
Robert Allen; Paul Baker
‘Simmons & Simmons is familiar with the relevant concepts and comprises an intelligent group of individuals. They’re able to deal with evidence concisely and turn documents quickly.‘
‘I had a good experience working with Simmons & Simmons and would recommend them to others.’
‘Paul Baker was very good and easy to deal with. He was always available to contact when necessary and a pleasure to deal with. He was also sensible, commercially minded, and able to progress claims efficiently.‘