Best known for advising on big ticket real estate matters, Ashurst's full service offering in the development, investment and corporate occupier space makes the firm a top choice for clients. The group is frequently instructed on large scale development and regeneration schemes and has a strong pipeline of work in the logistics, BTR and life sciences sectors; Henry Moss leads on BTR / private rented sector work while Richard Vernon specialises in life sciences and hotels. The team has a strong international focus; David Jones is an expert on inbound inward investment from South Korea and the wider team regularly advises on deals in the UK and Europe, with particular expertise in global joint ventures and M&A. Global projects and real estate co-head Sarah Sivyour assists a diverse range of clients, including investors from the US and Singapore. Melanie Jordan heads the UK real estate team that includes Tim Regis and Jamie Chapman, an expert in major infrastructure and regeneration projects, including renewable energy transactions. The group’s extensive corporate occupier offering includes the acquisition and leasing of HQ buildings, portfolio management and lay-out construction advice, amongst others.
Firms in the Spotlight Commercial property: corporate occupiers
Ronald Fletcher Baker LLP
Ronald Fletcher Baker attracts a diverse client base from financial institutions, high-net-worth individuals and substantial freehold corporate investors, as a result of which the firm has considerable expertise acting for corporate investors based in the BVI, Bahamas, Mauritius, Seychelles, Turkey and Isle of Man. This department also acts for sellers and buyers, and buy-to-let investors, …View Profile...
Commercial property: corporate occupiers in London
Sarah Sivyour; Richard Vernon; Melanie Jordan; David Jones
Other key lawyers:
Jamie Chapman; Henry Moss; Tim Regis
‘The Ashurst team provides a strong, trustworthy reliable service covering all core aspects of institutional real estate. The team is typically commercially minded and aims to find creative solutions and angles.’
‘Attention to detail, superior commitment and reliability, commercial mindedness’
McLaren Group Limited
Invesco Real Estate
- Advised McLaren Group Limited on the £170 million sale and leaseback of their innovative and world-renowned headquarters including the McLaren Technology Centre, the McLaren Production Centre and the McLaren Thought Leadership Centre (Woking, Surrey) to Global Net Lease.
- Advised BP on the sale and leaseback of its London headquarters for GBP £250 million, the latest in a string of disposals as the British energy company shifts to low-carbon energy.
- Advised Hines (a global developer and investor) on the regearing of its lease and variation in relation to Grain House on Drury Lane in the heart of Covent Garden.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP‘s impressive and diverse real estate offering ranges from day-to-day asset management to complex high-value regeneration projects. Its client base consists of domestic and international clients and covers both traditional and alternative asset classes. In the residential investment and development market, the group remains at the forefront of the BTR sector, with Andrew Yates continuing to lead in this area. Practice co-head Chris de Pury, Chris Rowe, and Liana Hewson have been heavily involved in advising on sustainable developments while Matthew Peel focuses on transactions in the healthcare and senior living sectors. Elsewhere, Claire Milton advises on lettings and corporate real estate deals. Co-head Sam Narula's experience includes investment work for private equity funds and HNWIs while Celia Berg has a strong student accommodation practice. Alan Wight, Robert MacGregor, Emma La Wita and Juliet Thomas are part of the corporate occupier team that is known for handling high-value pre-letting transactions.
Chris de Pury; Sam Narula
Other key lawyers:
Andrew Yates; Robert MacGregor; Chris Rowe; Liana Hewson; Matthew Peel; Ruth Miller; Celia Berg; Claire Milton; Alan Wight; Juliet Thomas; Chris Rowe; Emma Le Wita
‘Chris Rowe is accessible and provides sensible advice.’
‘Juliet Thomas has the ability to consider and support non-standard structures.’
GHS Limited Partnership (JV between GPE and HKMA)
WR Berkley Group
Argent/Kings Cross Central Limited Partnership
JP Morgan Asset Management
Lothbury Investment Management
- Acting for longstanding client, Landsec, on its London portfolio. Having acted on the first phase of Nova, which is 897,000 sq ft mixed use scheme, the firm was instructed on the subsequent phases and, in particular, the delivery and pre-letting of n2 which will provide a further 162,000 sq ft of office space to the Nova scheme. The firm acted on all aspects of the redevelopment project Lucent, 144,000 sq ft, mixed used scheme located behind the iconic Piccadilly Lights, and are now instructed in relation to the pre-letting of the scheme.
- Advised the GHS Limited Partnership, a 50:50 joint venture between Great Portland Estates (GPE) and the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA), on a pre-let of approximately 60,000 square feet of space on their Hanover Square Estate to international investment firm Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co Partners (KKR) and Glencore. The building will provide a total 127,600 sq ft of office space and 2,300 sq ft of retail space and incorporate the eastern entrance to the new Bond Street Crossrail station.
- The team, led by partner Chris Rowe have advised Argent and KCCLP on all of the office developments at King’s Cross, comprising more than 15 new office buildings totaling in excess of 2m square feet. Deals have included pre-lets of 3 whole buildings to Facebook which completed in 2021 (totaling over 611,000 square feet of office space), pre-lets of building S1 to Nike and Sony which completed in 2021 and pre-lets of whole buildings to Google, Universal Music and Havas Media. The firm continues to act on the ongoing development of Google’s new flagship headquarters which is under construction, having acted on this since 2012. In 2021 the firm advised on the development and financing of Argent’s new 170,000 sq ft flexible working space at King’s Cross Central.
Clifford Chance LLP has a strong track record in complex real estate developments and is particularly well known for its City and Canary Wharf headquarter projects. Other areas of expertise include mixed-use, urban regeneration and infrastructure projects as well as corporate real estate acquisition and joint venture work. The group demonstrates significant cross-border expertise with Angela Kearns focusing on inbound investment work from the APAC region, particularly from Japan, while Mark Payne and Alis Pay assist international investors on a range of deals, including pan-European portfolio transactions. Elsewhere, the group has impressive credentials for acting on major HQ transactions for both occupiers and landlords and is involved in several secondary market lettings. Matt Taylor has experience in largescale landlord/tenant matters, with an emphasis acting on the tenant-side. Head of London real estate Nigel Howorth has a strong energy-related practice that includes advising on power station developments. Ian Painter is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Mark Payne; Angela Kearns; Ian Painter; Adrian Levy; Alis Pay; Angela Kearns, Matt Taylor
‘The CC team has great strength and depth and there are no weak links. Their technical and commercial skills are exemplary. They are also very strong at finding client focused solutions to problems that arise on transactions.’
‘Excellent combination of technical knowledge and measured commercial application. Highly responsive and diligent at all levels of the team. Stand out partners would include Angela Kearns and Ian Painter.’
‘Clifford Chance is the firm to go to for big ticket occupier/HQ work on both the occupier and landlord/developer side. They differentiate themselves from other firms with a magic circle stamp of quality and full service offering, delivered by a market leading team. I have no hesitation in recommending them. Their quality of work and client service (e.g. responsiveness and thinking round corners, particularly with a view to funding and exit when on landlord/developer side) is second to none and they definitely merit a top tier ranking.’
‘I’d single out Angela Kearns. She is a top quality lawyer and extremely commercial. She is my go-to lawyer for this type of work as she has a broad practice and can turn her hand to all aspects of transactions. This works for us as it means we don’t have to deal with multiple lawyers. She is on top of her game, works hard for her clients and gets deals done. She managed to deliver one of the largest (if not the largest) pre-let in the film studios sector this year.’
‘Outstanding practice, commercial, excellent client communication and relation skills’
‘Alis Pay is an outstanding lawyer. She has been instrumental in helping us win our new office space – her legal knowledge is outstanding, she is very efficient and commercial and client oriented. She manages her team very well. From a client perspective, there is seamless coverage.
‘James Law is an outstanding senior associate. He has been of great help negotiating our lease assignment. Always on top of his things and available for his client. Moreoever, he is a great partner to work with. Great team!’
‘Professionality, clever approach in problem solving.’
Allianz Real Estate
NorthWest Healthcare REIT
Nuffield College, in the University of Oxford
Apollo Global Management
Canary Wharf Group
Generali Real Estate
Legal & General
Nuveen Real Estate
- Advised Red Circle and Diesel on the disposal of the freehold interest in Diesel’s UK HQ at 55 Argyle Street, London, to Heatherwick Studios.
- Advised BGO in connection with the pre-letting of The Bloom to tech company and photo messaging app Snapchat in a deal that more than doubled Snapchat’s office footprint in London.
- Advised the Sadler’s Wells Foundation on several strategic occupier matters at their theatres including the granting of leases at the Sadler’s Wells Theatre to several associated artists and companies, the occupational arrangements at the Peacock Theatre, and the ongoing development of the new Stratford Waterfront dance theatre in Stratford.
International firm CMS houses a ‘hugely knowledgeable and experienced’ UK real estate team, which is lead by Ciaran Carvalho. Carvalho is an ‘exceptionally good negotiator’ and serves an extensive range of international and domestic investors and developers which include Blackstone and Angelo Gordon & Co. On the development side of the practice, Mark Heighton principally focuses on residential and mixed use development projects, with an emphasis on BTR and senior living, while Barry Morris and Chris Oakley specialise in office developments in the City of London. Oakley also contributes his transactional experience in the retail, and industrial sectors. Leilah Rawle focuses on energy and infrastructure projects and networks. Has extensive experience advising on the real estate aspects of renewable energy projects and land portfolios. On the investment front, Amanda Howard is a key contact and heads the funds and indirect real assets group, whilst Caroline Maude spcialises in matters concerning the acquisition and disposal of offices and mixed use investments. Alan Crawford supports the team with his particular focus on acting for opportunity funds and on fast paced transactions. The corporate occupiers side of the practice serves a number of lucrative clients such as TikTok, UCL, and Hogan Lovells. Andrew Banton, leads the China and Hong Kong inward investment team and acts for various occupiers in the retail, office, and leisure sectors with an emphasis on US corporates. Marie Scott is ‘focused, practical and experienced’ and leads transactions covering a variety of assets which include self-storage and data centres, and advises on occupiers, investment, and development matters, while Jules Needleman specialises in HQ lettings and provides ‘unparalleled support’ to clients.
Other key lawyers:
Mark Heighton; Barry Morris; Chris Oakley; Leilah Rawle; Alan Crawford; Amanda Howard; Caroline Maude; Marie Scott; Andrew Banton; Jules Needleman; Matthew Speed; Lindsay Barrett
‘It might be a big firm, but it delivers a personal service. The team works with you and feels like an extension of your company’
‘Very pragmatic approach when negotiating. Always well thought out solutions.’
‘Barry Morris – always well prepared and can provide good examples for testing suggested clauses or hypothesis.’
‘CMS’s commercial property team are one of the most professional & diligent teams that I have ever worked with and have gone the extra mile to really understand what we do as a group, our team, our plans and our values. They’re a key partner in our growth as a group and feel fortunate to have them in our team.’
‘The CMS team were outstanding at building and maintaining effective client relationships. They partnered really well with the other members of our project team thus ensuring that the legal advice given worked at a whole project level. They were appropriately assertive in negotiations. They are hugely knowledgeable and experienced and bring their experience to bear in a practical and pragmatic way for the clients benefit. they were quick to build client confidence and ready at all times to provide support guidance and advice.’
‘Marie Scott led the legal team for us and she was outstanding to work with. She is calm, focused, practical and experienced and nvere lost sight of the end goal. She brought humour and good nature to the table even when the going got tough. She led her team brilliantly throughout’
‘Jules Needleman has provided unparalleled support, particularly on a difficult transaction, has a pragmatic and commercial approach.’
‘Broad and strong team, with high quality partners and associates, able to deep dive into complex, challenging issues often with limited notice and under significant time pressure.’
University of the Arts London
- Advised PwC as the administrators of Willow Corp Management Limited, the operating company of the Nobu Hotel, Shoreditch, on the sale of its business and assets.
- Advised law firm Hogan Lovells in connection with its pre-let agreement to take up space at Royal London Asset Management’s upcoming Holborn Viaduct scheme, signing an agreement for a 20-year lease over all 12 floors of the proposed development. It will become Hogan Lovells’ new London headquarters.
- Advised new client Oatly, the original Swedish oat drink company, on the real estate, planning and construction aspects for its first UK factory.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP is well known for its expert handling of big-ticket real estate transactions. It has a strong track record acting for key players across the global property sector, including investors, developers, SWFs and private equity funds. Jeremy Walden chairs the UK and EMEA real estate practice, regularly working with investors to complete first investments and joint ventures in these regions. The group has significant expertise in major development and regeneration projects, with Donald Rowlands and Richard Forsdyke being the key contacts. Elsewhere, the team is highly active advising on large leasing transactions, including pre-lets; Nick Turner leads the corporate occupiers practice and also focuses on developments that interact with rail and underground assets. Shona Grey advises on high profile corporate acquisitions and disposals while Julian Pollock ‘s diverse practice includes advising inbound investors, particularly those from Asia. Paul Chases maintains a strong reputation in handling corporate real estate matters.
Other key lawyers:
Donald Rowlands; Richard Forsdyke; David Rosen; Julian Pollock; Shona Grey; Paul Chases; Nick Turner; William Turnbull; Ian Cox; Simon Elliott
‘The team have deep seated experience which makes them very good at balancing risk with the commercial aspects of a transaction. They are efficient and have a deep bench of talent.’
‘I have very high regard for both Don Rowlands and Nick Turner. Together they do good cop/bad cop very well. They both have the depth of experience which enables them to separate the important and the less important and get complex transactions done.’
‘The senior associates at HSF are excellent when compared to other law firms. The depth of experience that the team brings on market knowledge. HSF has a collaborative culture and you do feel like they are a part of the team looking after your back.’
‘I’ve worked with Julian Pollock and David Evans very closely. Both Julian and David are pragmatic and have great depth of knowledge of current market trends. David I’m particular is very responsive and accommodate requests to meet deadlines.’
‘A team I love working with. Friendly and sensible. Understand the market really well.’
‘Jeremy Walden and Shona Grey are a great double act. A pleasure to work with and make our work feel valued.’
- Advised British Land and its joint venture partner on the management of the Broadgate estate including on the extensive redevelopment and pre letting programme. Including the preletting of 1 Broadgate to two tenants for their respective headquarters, Jones Lang LaSalle (140,000 sq ft) and Allen & Overy 280,000 sq ft).
- Advised Brookfield Properties on the pre-letting to Latham & Watkins of a minimum of 200,000 sq ft at its development at 1 Leadenhall Street, London.
- Advised Baltic Exchange on the sale, redevelopment, and subsequent leaseback of its head office at 38 St Mary Axe, London
Hogan Lovells International LLP deploys its international strength and presence to act for an impressive overseas investors and major landowners, advising on the full life cycle of investment transactions and properties. The global real estate practice is headed by Daniel Norris, who specialises in direct and indirect investment transactions, asset management, and student housing. Oliver Chamberlain is head of the UK real estate practice; his expertise covers all aspects of commercial real estate and he represents lucrative clients such as the BBC, M&G Real Estate, and British Land, whilst former practice head Jackie Newstead can draw on many years of expertise in advising retailers and hoteliers on acquisitions and disposals, management arrangements, and financings. Gill McGreevy is particularly knowledgeable in areas relating to regeneration and development relating to energy projects, retail, and institutional investment. Dion Panambalana contributes his focus on mixed-use urban and non-urban developments and regeneration, structured sales, and leasebacks to the team.
Daniel Norris; Oliver Chamberlain
Other key lawyers:
Gill McGreevy; Dion Palambalana; Sian Owles
CCLA Investment Management
LaSalle Investment Management (as Fund Managers for the Coal Pension Fund)
M&G Real Estate
The Courtauld Institute
The Crown Estate
- Advising US streaming giant, Roku, on its acquisition of two significant office spaces in key UK R&D locations within Cambridge and Manchester.
- Acting for the BBC on various properties. In particular various space reorganisations in and around London, its move of the Symphony Orchestra and Rock & Pop from Maida Vale to a new state of the art premises in the £500m development at Stratford (The Queen Elizabeth Park).
- Acted as News UK’s real estate counsel in England and Wales for over a decade.
Praised for its ‘breadth of talent and experience’, Mayer Brown International LLP is no stranger to big-ticket real estate transactions, as demonstrated by its advice to Cabot Properties on the sale of its logistics portfolio to Blackstone Real Estate, led by head of development Caroline Humble. ‘Invaluable’ Chris Harvey spearheads the firm’s UK and European real estate team and is the ‘go-to partner in the London market for Asian investors, who are looking to do substantial, complicated deals’. Simon Price is noted for his expertise in the hospitality sector and advises on corporate real estate transactions, joint ventures, acquisitions and high-profile lettings, while Iain Roberts handles headquarter relocations, post-property acquisition leasing transactions, as well as mixed-use development projects. Other key members of the team include head of corporate real estate Anita Jones, experienced practitioner Joe Conder, who joined from Goodwin in early 2021, and managing partner Jeremy Clay. The practice has demonstrable experience across the office, retail, residential, logistics, student accommodation and co-living sectors.
Chris Harvey; Andrew Hepner; Anita Jones
Other key lawyers:
Iain Roberts; Caroline Humble
‘Breadth of talent and experience.’
‘Consistent high quality.’
Lifestyle International Holdings
China Overseas Holdings
The British Land Company plc
Cabot Properties, Inc.
The ‘exceptionally talented team’ at Norton Rose Fulbright has demonstrable experience in energy, infrastructure and other long-term development projects, as well as social housing investment mandates and leverages its international network to advise on complex cross-border real estate matters. UK practice leader and leading Islamic finance specialist Wasim Khan has experience in acting for developers and banks in relation to waste to energy schemes, in addition to renewable energy and power projects, while global head of real estate Dan Wagerfield handles mixed-use developments and outbound capital from Asia. Louisa Roe, who was promoted to partner in January 2022, is praised as a ‘tour de force’ when acting for both landlords and tenants in leasing transactions, while Charlie Pinkerton advises on office and headquarter relocations. David Hawkins focuses on mixed-use developments and David Sinclair handles a range of projects in the office, hotel and infrastructure sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Louisa Roe; David Sinclair; Charlie Pinkerton; David Hawkins; Dan Wagerfield
‘An exceptionally talented team, providing a high level of client care and expertise in corporate real estate.’
‘Louisa Roe, together with her team, worked well to achieve our commercial aims. In particular, Louisa interacted well with the numerous parties in the transaction and was able to deliver an exception outcome.’
‘The team are detailed, accurate and commercially minded.’
‘Louisa Roe is fantastic, very hard working and looks to get deals done quickly.’
‘Very commercial team with strong technical knowledge, providing sound and pragmatic advice.’
‘Charlie Pinkerton is a pleasure to work with.’
‘Louisa Roe is a tour de force.’
‘Louisa Roe was incredibly professional, knowledgeable and efficient, while engaging in a friendly manner throughout.’
British Airways Plc
Royex Real Estate Investments Limited
Voya Investment Management (UK) Limited
DP World London Gateway
Bank of Montreal
Civitas Social Housing
1 Spinningfields Unit Trust
Schroder Real Estate Investment Management
SOFAZ (State Oil Fund of Azerbaijan)
SAAB Technologies UK Limited
Barnard’s Inn Unit Trust
Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
Khoo Teck Puat Charitable Foundation
Europa Capital/Hobart Partners
Resolution Property Holdings
McGill & Partners
Rolls-Royce Motorcars Limited
British Racing Drivers Club (Silverstone)
GLL Real Estate Partners
- Advised the developers of the £1.3bn redevelopment project at Olympia London on the pre-letting of the theatre venue to Trafalgar Entertainment Group.
- Advised State Oil Fund of Azerbaijan on the first pre-lettings of its refurbished Grade II* listed 78 St James’s Street, London SW1 and contractual arrangements with an F&B operator for the amenity spaces in the building.
- Advised Bank of Montreal on the underletting of space at British Land’s 100 Liverpool Street and short term renewal arrangements at 95 Queen Victoria Street.
Slaughter and May advises on all aspects of large-scale development projects, particularly in the sports sector, where the ‘excellent real estate team’ has demonstrable experience in major stadia mandates. In the corporate occupier space, high-profile headquarters relocations take up a large proportion of the practice’s workload - the team is notably well-regarded for its work for other major law firms. The team is well-placed to leverage the expertise of the firm’s corporate and tax groups to handle all forms of direct and indirect investments, particularly portfolio transactions, often involving a cross-border element. Jane Edwarde leads the team and has considerable experience in sports-related projects, such as advising Everton Football Club on the development of its 52,000-seat stadium at Bramley-Moore Dock. John Nevin has a ‘marvellous talent for distilling the key points’ when advising on acquisitions, developments and letting matters, while ‘exceptional’ senior counsel Simon Bartle is another key member of the team.
Other key lawyers:
John Nevin; Simon Bartle
‘The team is always knowledgeable, helpful and diligent. They understand our needs, always respond in a timely fashion and sometimes refer us to other helpful contact in other jurisdictions.’
‘An excellent real estate team with significant experience of acting for tenants on major lettings and complex pre-let developments in London.’
‘John Nevin and Simon Bartle are an excellent team who compliment each other extremely well in their advice to clients.’
‘The team are the most commercially-minded occupier team I have dealt with in the UK market. They are responsive and proactive, with a real strength in depth.’
‘John Nevin provides a high quality of service, with all advice balanced against the commercial reality of the transaction and what’s most important to the business.’
‘Strong understanding of the real estate environment, as well as applicable laws and statutes. Excellent negotiators and clear advice given.’
‘Quick to respond and always accurate. Staffing always appropriate for the job at hand.’
‘One of this team’s particular strengths is its ability to provide commercial and pragmatic advice that is tailored to its occupier client and their business requirements. The team is very good at identifying potential issues and liabilities which it then protects its clients against with robust drafting.’
Allen & Overy
Dobbies Garden Centres
London Resort Company Holdings
McDermott Will & Emery
Marks and Spencer
Skadden, Arps, Meagher & Flom
- Advising Jones Lang LaSalle on its new Docklands offices at 20 Water Street and advised on its new London headquarters at 1 Broadgate.
- Advised Allen & Overy on its new London headquarters at 2 Broadgate.
- Advising Inmarsat in connection with its move to new London headquarters at 50 Finsbury Square, London EC2.
Multinational firm Baker McKenzie‘s commercial property practice is headed by Justin Salkeld, who has a wealth of experience in operational and investment real estate matters; Salkeld consistently advises banks and borrowers on financing and development, in addition to investors and operators regarding hotel transactions. The team’s ‘incredible range and depth of expertise’ includes Ben Farnell, who advises tenants, domestic and multinational corporates, and foreign governments on a full spectrum of real estate matters regarding investment, planning, and development requirements; and Stefanie Price, who forms a key part of the firm's corporate occupier practice with her focus on landlord and tenant law, and the real estate features of corporate transactions. The firm’s corporate occupier practice focuses on acting for blue chip clients such as global corporates, as well as retail clients on portfolio rationalisations, and leasing matters.
Other key lawyers:
Ben Farnell; Stefanie Price
‘Personable team with great expertise and quick to respond. Helpful in tricky negotiations.’
‘Stephanie Price – down to earth and knows her stuff!’
‘They assisted us on an important strategic transaction with a great number of challenges. They were personable to work with and delivered timely advice, sometimes working beyond normal working hours to achieve results.’
Google UK Ltd
Mapletree Property Investments
Edwardian Hotels Group
Cancer Research UK
Employees Provident Fund
- Advised Just Eat on the biggest letting ever recorded in the North East.
- Acting for Tapestry Inc. (a publically listed company on the NYSE) in respect of all their UK retail stores and numerous EMEA stores across their three brands: Coach, Kate Spade and Stuart Weitzman.
- Managing Capri Holdings’ service arrangement; advising Michael Kors on its EMEA store expansion and maintenance.
The corporate occupier team at London firm Bristows LLP is primarily instructed by clients in the technology, life sciences and retail sectors. In particular, the group has broad experience in the retail sector, including specialist expertise in garden centres as well as restaurants and luxury fashion outlets. It has also a strong technology practice, with Tim Allen handling headquarter transactions for significant UK tech companies. Practice head Teresa Edmund ‘s client base consists of both UK and internationally based businesses and is supported by associate Gemma Kirsch who has experience in asset management, transactions, and acquisitions and disposals.
Other key lawyers:
Tim Allen; Gemma Kirsch
‘The team were very helpful and responsive at all times.’
‘They were experts in their field and keen to help drive the deals through completion – they demonstrated great commercial awareness!’
‘They were really approachable – fast and reliable, while demonstrating pragmatism at all times. They were able to swiftly solve problems that arose in a simple manner to expedite deals.’
Waterland Private Equity Fund VII and Waterland Private Equity Fund VIII
Blue Diamond Limited
Delice De France Limited
Dolby Europe Limited
The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
Norddeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale
Flexera Software Limited
NIO Nextev (UK) Limited
AMRO Valentines Limited
Euronext London Limited
Binary Fitness Limited
Haitong International Securities (UK) Limited
- Advised the Priory Group on the sale and leaseback of a portfolio of assets for consideration in excess of £800m.
- Acting for Totaljobs Group on a range of disposals and the reorganisation of the group’s real estate assets to facilitate a corporate restructuring.
- Acting for Blue Diamond UK Limited on the purchase of the assets and business of Mere Park Garden Centre for consideration of £5.5m.
The national real estate practice at Burges Salmon LLP is spread across Bristol and London and serves clients on a full spectrum of matters, from large-scale infrastructure projects to headquarters relocations. Richard Clark leads the real estate sector group, advises private and public sector clients, which include Transport for London, The Crown Estate, and John Lewis Partnership. Paul Browne contributes to the development and investment side of the practice, regularly acting for banks as well as lenders wherever the matter concerns real estate assets; Browne has particular expertise in the real estate side of the nuclear industry and also advises multi-national organisations and institutions. Richard Read advises UK and international investment funds and companies, and global corporates. experience in offices, retail, and industrial asset classes with an emphasis on student accommodation, hotels, and leisure. Ross Polkinghorne is passionate about sustainable real estate and has a great deal of experience in sustainable regeneration schemes.
Richard Read; Richard Clark
Other key lawyers:
Paul Browne; Philip Beer; Matthew Sims; Ross Polkinghorne
‘Richard Clark offers clear, straightforward advice. Always available, with timely production of drafts for consideration. Clear understanding of bigger picture. Knowledgeable of our counterparty’s position which aided negotiation.’
‘Ross Polkinghorne really knows his stuff; an excellent example of what makes Burges Salmon a trusted law firm.’
‘Philip Beer was excellent in a complex land deal. Excellent manner when negotiating with third parties.’
‘Ross Polkinghorne is excellent, and immediately focuses on the key points of a transaction providing practical and commercially minded advice in a straightforward manner.’
‘Commercially minded legal expertise with quick turnaround times for projects.’
‘Attentive to detail – bring in expertise in specialist sectors as and when necessary- very careful in ensuring that advice is fully understood.’
‘The team is helpful and responsive. Burges Salmon have a highly committed team.’
‘The people and team we worked with over a few transactions were fantastic. They extremely diligent and also understanding with certain requests. They also stuck to timelines extremely well.’
Japan Tobacco International (JTI)
Competition and Markets Authority
The John Lewis Partnership
St. James’s Place Wealth Management
- Advised the John Lewis Partnership on the acquisition from Tesco of a 1 million sq ft distribution centre at Fenny Lock in Milton Keynes.
- Advising St. James’s Place Wealth Management on all aspects of its England & Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland office property portfolio, including real estate transactional, real estate advisory and construction work.
- Advising UKAEA in connection its highly complex income strip lease and leaseback arrangement. The development will provide substantial additional office accommodation to the site but also R&D facilities in the form of a massive rig hall to allow further fusion energy research.
DAC Beachcroft LLP
The real estate team at DAC Beachcroft LLP is an 'excellent blend of professional, experienced and approachable', and advises a varied client base across the retail, leisure, health, hotel, offices, and government sectors; the firm's strengths also include advising on Shari'ah compliant financing. Practice head Robert Lee has over 35 years' experience in advising clients across the residential development sector, large regeneration projects, and joint ventures. Charlotte Wilson is 'an outstanding solicitor' with a deep knowledge of the negotiation and implementation of complex acquisition agreements, strategic land matters, and development partnerships with public sector landowners. The firm often serves international and domestic investors, as well as a number of NHS Trusts. On the corporate occupiers front, the firm assists lucrative clients such as L'Oréal and Hard Rock Cafe on a diverse portfolio of retail shops, hairdressing academies, and the acquisition of freehold interests.
Other key lawyers:
Charlotte Wilson; Andrew Boulton; Madeleine Ball
The Big Bus Company
Go Ahead Group
Queen Mary University of London
Guy’s and Thomas’s Hospital
Royal Brompton Hospital Trust
Hard Rock Cafe
Portland Place (Properties) Jersey Limited
Royal London UK Real Estate Fund
Crest Nicholson Operations Limited
Arab Investments Limited
Qatari Investment Bank
Canterbury City Council
Blackpool Borough Council
Allied Irish Bank
Waverley Borough Council
Places for People
Clarion Housing Association Limited
- Advising L’Oreal in connection with all of their corporate occupier requirements including their offices, distribution centres, hairdressing academies and retail stores.
- Advising Hard Rock Cafe in connection with the acquisition of the freehold interest in the Old Park Lane building where their flagship restaurant is located.
- Advising Go-Ahead Group (a bus and rail operator) and its many subsidiaries on its operational real estate portfolio of over 150 sites.
Specialist real estate firm Davitt Jones Bould works nationally under the leadership of Madeleine Davitt, who has a stellar reputation for her work on lucrative public sector projects such as the new Bomber Command Memorial in Green Park, and the London 2012 Olympics, in addition to her advice to local authorities. The firm has a strong performance record in advising on corporate occupiers and development matters for important landmarks including the development of a new Holocaust Memorial and Learning Centre at Victoria Gardens, and Fujifilm’s new headquarters. The firm is benefiting from the experience brought by new members of the team, which include: John Condliffe from Hogan Lovells International LLP; John Adams from Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP; Michelle Powell from Wedlake Bell LLP; and Tina Durani from Herbert Smith Freehills LLP.
Madeleine Davitt; Peter Allinson
Other key lawyers:
Malcolm Iley; Teresa Kamppari Baker; Melanie Greer-Walker; Sean Bulman; Philippa Hipwell; Tina Durani; John Adams; Sophie Philippon-Thomas; Michelle Powell; John Adams; John Condliffe
‘I have collaborated with DJB. Worthy of note is their absolute professionalism, speed of turnaround and innovative approach. My experience of them is that they also empower their associates and team members. More than that, they are consistent in performing to a high standard – difficult to achieve but very much appreciated and it makes them easy to work with and a pleasure to work with.’
‘Madeleine Davitt is extremely client focused and ensures that the firm consistently delivers to a high standard.’
‘DJB is a high-quality firm. I have found their understanding of local authority commercial property issues to be sound and well-tailored to resolve issues that arise which are specific to local authority law and practice.’
‘The leadership of Davitt Jones Bould is the most impressive I’ve experienced from a law firm. A managing partner who makes introductions, checks in on progress and wants to understand the service experience feels like a very unique approach versus what we’ve seen before. Engaging, supportive and pragmatic advice, all delivered with efficiency and care.’
‘Special mentions for Teresa Kamppari Baker for providing timely, pragmatic and well-considered support and for having a great ability to reach swift conclusions even when faced with challenges, and Madeleine Davitt for being so engaging, for taking the time to understand more about our business and for an incredibly personal level of service that is rarely observed.’
UK Health Security Agency (formerly Public Health England)
Department for Health and Social Care
The Royal Parks
National Highways (formerly Highways England)
Ministry of Defence
Surrey County Council
Habitat for Humanity
Medical Research Foundation
Woking Borough Council
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
Brighton and Hove City Council
Integral UK plc
- Advised the UK Health Security Agency (formerly Public Health England) on numerous corporate occupier cases to help them with the Covid-19 response operations.
- Advised Rick Stein’s on several lease issues relating to their restaurants and the economic impact of Covid-19.
- Advised The Royal Parks on complex issues occurring at their Parks including St James’s Park, Hyde Park and The Mall.
Multinational firm Dentons advises a host of international investors from as far afield as South Korea, India, the US, and Luxembourg, drawing on its large, cross-border real estate network. The firm is active in the alternative assets and BTR sectors, as well as the senior living market and student accomodation, all of which national real estate practice head Deepa Deb has a particular focus in. Rob Thompson is head of the national and Middle East real estate practice and uses his 'deep knowledge' to advise banks, private equity funds, and listed and non-listed property companies, in addition to large corporates which operate in the office, hotels, logistics, retail, and high-end residential sectors. Alex Coulter focuses on investment, development, and lease negotiations in the logistics, retail, and office sectors, while associate Carla Revelo has 'excellent attention to detail' and extensive expertise in high-value development projects and investment portfolios.
Other key lawyers:
Rob Thompson; Alex Coulter; Rupert Dodwell; Carla Revelo
John Lewis Partnership/Waitrose
Frasers Group Plc (Sports Direct)
Transport for London
- Advised the John Lewis Partnership on new plans to install up to 800 electric vehicle charging points in Waitrose’s car parks in collaboration with Shell.
- Advised Royal Mail on the renewal of circa 150 English, Welsh, and Scottish leases with the landlord, Telerium Trillium.
- Advised on the real estate aspects of the corporate sale of National Tyres, Autocare, Tyre Shopper, and Viking Wholesale Tyres to Halfords. This involved a UK wide real estate portfolio of circa 248 properties and included the requirement to vary a number of leases.
The ‘exceptional’ commercial property team at global firm DLA Piper is highly regarded for advising on complex living, office, pharmaceutical, and logistics development projects. Jonathan Northey leads the development side of the London practice, and specialises in complex multi-party development agreements and all parts of the development process, whilst senior associate Hayley Russell-White focuses on housing, mixed-use schemes, hotel and leisure, and healthcare projects. On the investment and corporate occupiers front, James Knox leads with over 30 years’ experience in acting for sovereign wealth and investment funds, private equity investors, and family offices both domestically, and in Europe. Key members of the team for investment also include William Naunton, who acts for a variety of fund managers and insitutional investors, and Bonnie Calnan with her wealth of experience in multidisciplinary private equity and investment transactions. For the corporate occupiers side of the practice, Paul Jayson, who has a special interest in sustainability strategy and leads the firm’s green real estate team, is a key contact. Senior associate Nicholas Haringman contributes his experience in advising institutional investors, pension funds, and retailers on a broad range of commercial real estate matters.
Other key lawyers:
Paul Jayson; Nicholas Haringman; George Burrha; Jonathan Northey; Hayley Russell-White; William Naunton; Bonnie Calnan
‘The team is exceptional in the quality of technical and practical advice offered. They are very service and solutions-orientated and can be trusted to deliver clients’ business-critical objectives.’
‘The team displayed an exceptional understanding of their practice areas and our business-critical objectives. They were also highly collaborative in their culture, which enabled us to work together very effectively.’
‘Strength in depth – There’s always support, no matter how complicated a transaction becomes, DLA are on hand to provide expert guidance.’
‘George Burrha is an exceptional partner – he knows exactly what the business want, is unflappable in meetings and often defuses tense negotiations to reach practical solutions. His team all inspire confidence that they are doing their upmost to deliver the desired outcomes.’
BPP Holdings Limited
Abu Dhabi National Exhibitions Company (ADNEC)
T Rowe Price
British Airways Plc
Tata Steel UK Limited
University of Sheffiled
ITM Power (Trading) Limited
- Advised BPP Holdings Limited on its relocation from its existing London Wall site to new premises at One Portsoken Street, London E1, covering over 80,000 square feet.
- Advised the Abu Dhabi National Exhibitions Company (ADNEC), part of ADQ and owner of the London ExCel centre, on the acquisition of a new hotel to its portfolio: the DoubleTree By Hilton London ExCel and the on all aspects of the development of the new phase of the exhibition centre to make it one of the largest in Europe.
- Acting for T Rowe Price in connection with their new London headquarters at Warwick Court in Paternoster Square. The move sees T Rowe Price relocate from their existing premises at 60 Queen Victoria Street to Warwick Court, a 130,000 square foot dynamic and sustainable space.
Eversheds Sutherland's London real estate team - which offers an 'unusual combination of technical competence and commercial realism' - is led by the hugely experienced Bruce Dear. He fronts a 'very strong occupier advisory team' which acts for a raft of household name clients, including major tech companies. On the investment front, the team handles complex and high-profile transactions, covering acquisitions and joint ventures for clients from a range of sectors, including financial services, office providers, student accomodation, pension funds and many more. The highly regarded Tom Goldsmith has a track record of work on complex, mixed-use development projects and large-scale portfolio purchases and is seen as 'a very strong technical lawyer with excellent project management skills.' Nicholas Bartlett heads up the real estate investment team and also leads the firm's living sub-group, while Lee Jackson plays a key role in the firm's private capital real estate business.
Other key lawyers:
Tom Goldsmith; Nicholas Bartlett; Lucy Chadwick; Gareth Ashfield
‘A very strong occupier advisory team. Highly innovative with a ‘can do’ attitude. Joined up between disciplines and commercial in seeking solutions.’
‘Tom Goldsmith – a stand out market leader. Personally a very strong technical lawyer, but with excellent project management skills.’
‘The Eversheds real estate team have an unrivalled track record of advising major occupiers on their leases in London. Their experience of dealing with large multinational corporations, while providing expert legal advice on the London real estate market, really sets them apart.’
‘Tom Goldsmith is clear in his advice, setting out key negotiation elements, risks and unlike many lawyers sets out solutions to the issues. He maintains a commercial approach to a transaction and listens to clients key objectives, therefore prioritizing which elements with the contracts are critical and must haves versus nice to haves. He manages the client and wider consultant teams expectations in terms of deliverables extremely well and is always available when needed.’
‘Absolute dedication from Tom Goldsmith.’
‘The team is able to understand the priorities of a business and understands that it may need to adjust its approach where it is dealing with a client who is not particularly experienced in real estate transactions. We would encourage other start-ups looking to leave flexible working space for the first time to reach out to them.’
‘They are collaborative and understand the sensitivities of working with central government.’
Doric Partners LLP
The Office Group
- Advised The Office Group on their partnership with Argent to develop the flexible office space lead R8 Building at King’s Cross.
- Advised new client Doric Partners on the strategic redevelopment and regear of 5/10 Old Broad Street including the regearing of White & Case’s occupation and AXA’s exit from the building.
- Advised new client William Blair on their new London HQ pre-let taking 66,000 sq. ft. at 22 Bishopsgate.
Led by Brian Kilcoyne, the real estate team at Lewis Silkin ‘go the extra mile’ for clients across the media and entertainment, retail, hospitality and leisure sectors when advising on high-value development projects and regeneration mandates. Rachel Francis-Lang is a key contact for corporate occupier matters, including the negotiation of commercial leases and acquisitions of headquarters premises on a pre-let basis. Anthony van Hoffen, whose ‘knowledge and expertise is exceptional’, leads the development and regeneration group, which counts major projects in the private and public sectors in its workload. Other key members of the team include co-head of the firm’s retail, hospitality and leisure team, Julia Poulter, who handles landlord and tenant issues and property management work, and planning expert Sara Hanrahan, who advises on redevelopment projects and regeneration schemes.
Other key lawyers:
Rachel Francis-Lang; Julia Poulter
‘The team are super reactive and always available.’
‘Rachel Francis-Lang and Patrick Brown are exceptional.’
‘They think outside of the box and are prepared to go the extra mile. They genuinely care about the result.’
‘The team provide quick, pragmatic advice. They fully understand our business needs and the needs of in-house counsel.’
McCann-Erickson EMEA Limited
Verisk Analytics Limited
Matthew Kenny Cuisine
Jack Morton Worldwide
Daniel J Edelman
Havas UK Limited
- Advised The Interpublic Group of Companies, Inc on its global real estate portfolio, dealing with several HQ moves in Central London on a pre-let basis.
- Advised Verisk Analytics Limited on a disposal of its HQ premises by way of assignment and acquisition of new leasehold HQ premises on a pre-let basis.
- Advised Daniel J Edelman Limited on the acquisition of new leasehold HQ premises in the course of refurbishment on a pre-let basis.
Praised for its ‘diligent attention to detail, personal relationship management and depth of experience across the team’, City firm Wedlake Bell LLP acts for a wide range of domestic and international corporate buyers and funds in investment transactions. Led by David De Maupeou, the real estate group is noted for its capability in residential development projects, as well as mixed-use and business park schemes, with Kim Lalli being a key contact in this space, particularly for housebuilders and healthcare providers. David Roberts has considerable experience in investments arising out of the retail and logistics sectors, while Sarah Blunn and Suzanne Gill, who is commended for her ‘razor sharp mind’, are key contacts for corporate occupier matters.
David de Maupeou
Other key lawyers:
Sarah Blunn; Suzanne Gill; Leah Freeman; Claire Nelson
‘Suzanne Gill is a great lawyer. She is very responsive, thorough and practical. She is excellent at overcoming seemingly insurmountable issues.’
‘Commercial, pragmatic, responsive and real problem solvers.’
‘Claire Nelson has the ability to cut through the noise and solve the ‘real’ problem.’
J. A. Kemp
Oxford Science Enterprises plc
J. Choo Limited
Ivy Farm Technologies Limited
- Advising Hugo Boss UK Limited on the acquisition of new flagship store in Oxford Street, London.
- Advised Ivy Farm Technologies on their agreement for lease of 4050 Oxford Business Park.
- Advising the financial advisory and global consulting firm, AlixPartners, on its HQ office deal opposite Land Securities.
Addleshaw Goddard is particularly active in major city regeneration schemes, acting for some of London’s biggest developers. It also represents several overseas investors, particularly from Asia and the Middle East; Leona Ahmed is the key contact for cross-border real estate matters. The team continues to be instructed on alternative asset classes, with divisional managing partner Adrian Collins specialising in BTR and student accommodation while Rachel Orton is an expert in the senior living and healthcare sectors. Practice head Iain Hindhaugh's wide range of expertise includes international inbound investment, listed UK PropCos, logistics as well as acting for corporate occupiers. Chris Cartwright co-heads the corporate occupiers team in London.
Adrian Collins; Iain Hindhaugh
Other key lawyers:
Chris Cartwright; Leona Ahmed
‘We benefit from a very longstanding relationship with the firm and key partners which allows for open and honest exchange of opinions – it also means they understand our drivers as a client.’
Pension Insurance Corporation
Royal London Mutual Insurance Society Ltd
Canary Wharf Group
The Eden Fund
Bank Leumi (UK) Plc
Civitas Social Housing Plc
BDB Pitmans’ real estate team has particular expertise in charities and the not-for profit sector; department head Jonathan Fewster advises on disposals and lettings of surplus land, joint venture opportunities, and restructuring. Fewster is ‘value driven and outcome focused’ with his wide experience in acting for corporate occupiers on landlord and tenant work. Associate Emma Roche specialises in advising domestic and offshore private wealth sector clients on real estate matters and corporate occupiers on leasehold structures. Associate Sarah Godfrey is an ‘absolute property guru’ with expertise in granting and taking leases of commercial and mixed-use property.
Other key lawyers:
Ellen James; Bhaminee Sharma; Dennis Ko; Emma Roche; Sarah Godfrey
‘The team has strengths in many different areas and has good communication, so that a specialist cab be easily consulted if your main contact cannot answer a particular query.’
‘Sarah Godfrey is an absolute property guru, who gives well balanced expert advice and sees every facet of a situation. She is unfailingly calm, perceptive and personable.’
‘Great on diversity, knowledge, expertise and very relationship focused.’
‘Very accessible, knowledgeable and responsive. Emma Roche is stand out in terms of her client service, focus, knowledge and approachability.’
‘Very friendly and engaging style and manner. Particularly appreciate working with Jonathan Fewster. Value driven and outcome focused’
Smurfit Kappa UK Limited
Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity
Menai Markets (UK) Limited
Wisdomtree UK Limited
Nine Food Group Limited
Croudace Properties Limited
Faber and Faber Limited
- Advised Smurfit Kappa UK Limited taking new leases of a new build storage facilities in Derbyshire and Norfolk.
- Advised Faber and Faber Limited taking a new HQ office lease at 51-53 Hatton Garden, London EC1.
- Advised Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity taking a new lease of part of 40 Bernard Street, London.
Led by Lee Medlock, Charles Russell Speechlys LLP offers a ‘one-stop-shop’ service for a mix of investors, commercial developers and corporate occupiers. The group handles complex mixed-use schemes, with particular expertise in joint venture and partnership agreements. The team demonstrates considerable strength in both the logistics and life sciences sectors, with Eddie Richards and Suzi Gatward focusing on the former, while Louise Ward concentrates on the latter. Robin Grove and Alexander Gold are the key names for development work, specialising in regeneration schemes. Sarah Morley leads the office occupiers practice at the firm and focuses on headquarters moves and the rationalisation of space.
Other key lawyers:
Robin Grove; Suzi Gatward; Louise Ward; Lynn Povey; Alexander Gold; Eddie Richards; Sarah Morley
‘A large scale team that can deal with all real estate problems that tenants have to consider when looking at a pre-let or an ordinary leasehold acquisition.’
‘Lee Medlock and Sarah Morley are proactive lawyers who get ion with the job rather than needing to be chased and give very good commercial advice to clients.’
‘The CRS team delivers exceptional value for the depth of knowledge and commercial approach they provide.’
‘Lee Medlock is very commercial and always references our previous requests in suggesting his mark-ups, so we get a bespoke service. He is responsive and easy to deal with. Thanks to Sarah Morley also for stepping in to assist with our project.’
Derwent Valley London Limited
Bellway Homes Limited and Redrow Homes Limited
Stonegate Pub Company Limited
Derwent Valley Central Limited
Bellis Acquisition Company 3 Limited
Topland Olympus Limited
Crab Hill Developments
Derwent Valley London Limited
- Advised Stonegate Pub Company Limited on their sale of a portfolio of pubs, a requirement by the CMA as part of Stonegate’s purchase of Ei Group.
- Advised TDR Capital LLP on their occupational interest: extending their footprint and term of occupation on Bentinck Street London W1.
- Advised Oxford University Endowment Management, who are responsible for managing the investment of endowments to Oxford University (with nearly £1bn of funds invested), on the underletting of part of their offices in Oxford to Mills & Reeve LLP.
Based across offices in Tunbridge Wells and London, Cripps serves a host of clients which include developers and housebuilders, banks, and real estate investors. Stephen Hedley heads the overall real estate practice at the firm, while Jason Tann leads the commercial real estate team and advises landed estates, property companies, private high net worth investors, and offshore investors. Corporate occupiers remains one of the core areas of focus in the firm. Led by Oliver Morris, who has over 20 years’ experience in advising clients on large-scale head office relocations in the professional services, financial services, advertising media, and technology sectors, the team also advises occupiers on domestic and international expansions, negotiating new lease terms, disputes, and relocations.
Other key lawyers:
Ed Fowler; Beth Myers; Kate Robinson
Maje Stores Limited & SMCP UK Limited
M&G Real Estate
Mott MacDonald Limited
Ocean Infinity Group
Sovereign Capital Partners
Spink & Sons
Tabula Investment Management
- Advising leading design agency, Koto Studio Limited, on the acquisition of new office space at The Woolyard Bermondsey.
- Advising iconic US guitar manufacturer, Fender Musical Instruments, on the acquisition of their new London headquarters in a Grade II listed building in Covent Garden.
- Advising Essex Court Chambers leading barristers chambers on the renewal of the London offices.
The ‘incredible, smart, and skilled’ real estate team at Fladgate LLP assists a host of clients with their commercial property needs from a single office in London. Practice head Stephen Lewis acts for family offices, banks, offshore and onshore private investors, with a particular focus on the retail and leisure sectors. Gideon Dabby-Joory advises a range of clients, which include private funds and institutional investors, on urban markets; corporate occupiers on expansion programmes and headqaurters relocations; and often acts for providers of shared office space and retail occupiers. Dabby-Joory and Alan Karsberg are key to the corporate occupiers side of the practice; Karsberg is particularly adept in advising on complex portfolio transactions, sales and leasebacks, as well as landlord and tenant work. Kirsty Corkum joined the team from Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP and contributes over 25 years’ experience in providing advice on mixed-use and urban development projects for developers, investors, landlords, and tenants.
Other key lawyers:
Gideon Dabby-Joory; Alan Karsberg; Kirsty Corkum; Richard Reuben; Gavin Whitney
‘The team consists of incredible, smart, and skilled individuals working very well together by adding various expertise. They are genuine, warm and kind people who can explain a complex legal matter in the most simple way; legal complexity converted into bite size explanations’
‘Each person is very experienced in their respective legal field, incredibly skilled at listening to their clients, and very patient. We’ve been very impressed by their flexibility, transparency and patience.’
YO! Sushi UK Limited
Conjure Group Limited
Supermarket REIT plc
Fidelity Supply Chain Solutions
Urban Logistics REIT PLC
- Acting for InfititSpace Aldgate UK Ltd., a co-working space operator, on its lease of 61,194 square feet of one of the City’s most recognisable office towers comprising three levels of Grade A office space.
- Advised Scape UK Management Ltd in connection with the letting of approximately 14,000 sq. ft. of newly refurbished space at 1 Newman Street London W1 for a term of 10 years at an annual rent of approx. £1.3 million pa.
- Advised Central London CCG in connection with the underletting of premises at 15-17 Marylebone Road, NW1 for a term of 15 years at an annual rent of approximately £2 million p.a.
Fox Williams LLP's real estate team serves an array of corporate occupiers with a particular emphasis on office occupiers, and institutuional and investor landlords. Phillip Hope heads the practice and is recognised for advising international companies, hotels, family offices, and high net worth individuals. Nish Kapoor 'clearly has a wealth of experience' in acting for corporate occupiers in the technology sector with venture capital companies from Silicon Valley. Elizabeth Ruff has an 'extensive skillset' in relation to the leasing and relocation of headquarter buildings. Senior associate Mary Majewska is 'extremely knowledgeable' with her expertise in larger acquisitions for self-storage companies.
Other key lawyers:
Elizabeth Ruff; Mary Majewska; Nish Kapoor
‘Fox Williams have a great team with an in depth understanding of the industry and commercial awareness; offering focused, proactive legal advice.’
‘Elizabeth Ruff – professional, committed approach to the work, extensive skillset and gave me complete confidence from our first meeting, no problem too big or too small.
‘ll of the team are an asset to the firm; however, having worked closely with Mary Majewska I’ve found her to be extremely knowledgeable, proactive, quick to action requests and a pleasure to work with. Mary has many strengths and I consider her to be a valuable resource.’
‘Practical, commercial advice, giving you action points and routes through problems rather than brick walls. Extremely personable; a genuine pleasure to be on every call.’
‘Nish Kapoor: personable, concise, practical and doesn’t sit on the fence with advice. Clearly has a wealth of experience. Five stars.’
Panther Securities Plc
- Advised new fintech client, Copper Technologies on all of its occupational real estate requirements after recent funding rounds of £25M and £51M from the exit of leased space in Mayfair, to the acquisition of high quality but short term temporary managed office space in Mayfair together with the marquee acquisition of 30,000 sq ft of leased space from an institutional landlord in Soho.
- Advised Japanese international cosmetics company, Shiseido, on their exit from their existing leased space and the acquisition of c,13,500 sq ft of Grade A office space at 1 Kingsway.
- Advised Glendower Capital LLP on its relocation to 8 St James’s Square, London. Advised in relation to a substantial fit out and wayleave arrangements and continue to advise in relation to the exit from its current premises.
Boutique property firm Glovers Solicitors LLP’s commercial property practice is known for its focus on the high-end food and luxury fashion markets and is described as 'the go-to firm for independent and restaurant chain operators in the hospitality industry'. The firm continues to guide clients through the repercussions of Covid-19, whilst acting on a growing number of acquisitions for restaurants, grab and go, cinemas, pubs and bars, retail, and gyms under the expertise of practice head Philip Shotter. Shotter is praised for his ‘great depth of legal knowledge’, while the ‘very legally astute’ Paul Jagger is instrumental to the team in the launch of new restaurant brands in the UK.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has become the ‘go to’ firm for independent and restaurant chain operators in the hospitality industry. Clients love the individuals, partner-led engagement and commercial advice based on hospitality industry specific experience and knowledge. They are a pleasure deal with for clients and solicitors alike.’
‘Paul Jagger and Philip Shotter are extremely popular with clients for their high levels of service and knowledge of the hospitality sector. No other property solicitor has more hospitality and premises licensing expertise as Paul Jagger. He is exceptional.’
‘Glovers are experts in property work in the hospitality space. Their team have worked with us for a number of years on many complex property matters. They have a tight nit team and offer invaluable advice and insight. They are responsive, commercial and have delivered for us over the last few years.’
‘Philip Shotter has great depth of legal knowledge, is able to explain technical legal issues in easy to understand language and is able to work ways through complicated legal matters. Highly commercial, responsive and is able to cut through the issues to deliver.
‘Paul Jagger is very legally astute, has a lot of legal experience in the sector and delivers results. Is also able to explain technical legal points in easy to understand language. He is commercially minded and able to deliver results.’
Agnes B UK Limited
All Things Greek Limited
ASK Italian Restaurants Limited
Aqua Restaurant Group
Bayley & Sage Limited
BDL Restaurants Limited (Bocca di Lupo, Plaquemine Lock)
Black Goo Ltd
Club Mexicana Limited
Chalk Restaurants Limited
Deep Blue Restaurants Limited
Doma Hospitality Group
Donald Byford & Sons Limited
Emerald Hospitality Group
Everyman Media Limited
Fatto A Mano Limited
Flat Iron Steak Limited
Frontier Pubs Limited
Giuseppe Zanotti UK Ltd
Hache Burger Connoisseurs Limited
Hop Vietnamese Limited
Hybrid Fitness Franchise Limited
Jack Wolfskin Ltd
McMullen and Sons Limited
Miscusi UK Limited
Nando’s Chickenland Limited (Nando’s)
Noble Rot Limited
Neds Noodle Box (Holdings) Limited
Oaxaca Restaurants Limited
Perilla Dining Limited
Pizza Express Restaurants Limited
Prezzo Trading Limited
State of Play Hospitality Group
The Adventure Bar Group
The London Cocktail Club Limited
The Vurger Co Ltd
ZLC London Limited (The Palomar and The Barbary)
Zandi Enterprises Limited (Zuaya)
Zizzi Restaurants Limited
- Acting for Prezzo Trading Limited on the acquisition of approximately 130 restaurants following the pre-pack Administration of Prezzo Limited to include dealing with the lease assignments and associated rent concession arrangements for every site following on from the pandemic
- Acting for Wagamama Limited on its acquisition of three delivery kitchens in Huddersfield, Preston and Sutton and four new restaurants in Braintree, Tunbridge Wells, Swansea and Ashton as well as continuing to advise the company on all estate management work extending to consensual negotiations of Covid-19 related rent concession arrangements with the company’s landlords.
- Acting for Bounce Battersea Limited / State of Play Hospitality Limited trading under its ‘Bounce’ social table tennis experimental concept on the exchange of an agreement for lease at Phase 2, Battersea Power Station.
Gowling WLG uses its global reach to serve a wide range of domestic and overseas property investors, which include insitutional investors and REITS, developers, occupiers, and regeneration authorities. Chris Hunt heads the real estate sector team; his areas of expertise include sizeable retail expansion programmes and distribution premises for retailers. Richard Bate has 30 years’ experience of acquisitions and disposals of large-scale consortium developments and strategic land, whilst Nick Mumby is known for advising on complex development projects for family run developers, institutional investors, and international private equity firms. On the corporate occupiers front, Helen Emmerson leads the team and advises clients on leasing regarding a variety of projects such as supermarkets and retail, to life science labs and offices.
Chris Hunt; Helen Emmerson
Other key lawyers:
Nick Mumby; Kay Desai; Richard Bate; Emma Pioli; Joe Morris; Mike Trainer
The Hut Group
Intermediate Capital Group
Coca-Cola European Partners
Queensberry Real Estate
A.F. Blakemore (Cash & Carry)
Young & Co.’s Brewery
- Advised longstanding client, Young & Co.’s Brewery on the sale of 56 of its tenanted pub estate to Punch Taverns.
- Advised Halfords Autocentres, a subsidiary of Halfords Group plc, the UK’s leading provider of motoring and cycling products and services on its acquisition of Universal Tyre and Autocentres (Universal).
- Advised sustainable food group, Upfield, on its lease of the fourth floor of the landmark 70,000 sq. ft. Southworks building on the South Bank in London.
The real estate team at GSC Solicitors LLP uses ‘cutting edge and innovative legal thinking combined with commercial savvy' to advise bluechip corporate clients, major hotel owners, fast food franchise owners, and high-net worth individuals on a variety of matters. The firm’s strength and focus is on contentious landlord and tenant work as well as acquisitions, developments, and financing matters. Practice head Harvey Posener provides ‘unparalleled service' with his extensive experience in advising large corporate occupiers on leasing and acquisitions whilst Peter Belcher is ‘extremely well-reputed' for his focus on the hotel, banking, leisure, and healthcare sectors regarding commercial property transactions.
Other key lawyers:
Peter Belcher; Matthew Phillips; Amee Popat; Carole Jospeh
‘GSC have an exceptional team of professionals that are hugely experienced in commercial property transactions. Peter Belcher has a wealth of transactions in the hospitality sector.’
‘Peter Belceher is extremely approachable and very through. He is vastly experienced in this sector and is extremely well reputed in the industry.’
‘GSC provide an exceptional service – cutting edge and innovative legal thinking combined with commercial savvy.’
‘Harvey Posener leads the team and provides an unparalleled service in terms of legal advice, strategic thinking, commercial application and responsiveness.’
‘Flexible in their approach and advice. Commercial acumen is strong. Vast Knowledge and Experience in property matters. Good client relations.’
Universal Music Operations Limited
Freshwater Group of Companies
The property team at Harbottle & Lewis LLP has notable experience in acting for corporate occupiers in the office, retail, and hospitality sectors; The team is led by Melanie Benson, who has ‘excellent eye for detail' and specialises in landlord and tenant matters. Benson’s main client base consists of occupiers in the cinema and theatre, retail and luxury brands, restaurant, and media sectors in addition to family offices.
Other key lawyers:
‘The practice has a clear and transparent way of conducting themselves which allows for complete trust and confidence in their guidance.’
‘Melanie Benson provided exceptional support and guidance as we moved offices. She provided a pragmatic and commercial outlook to the project, it was a particularly complex assignment but we always felt she project managed both us and the other organisation to a successful conclusion.’
‘We have used Harbottle for commercial property matters for over 10 years and have always been delighted with the quality of advice received.’
‘Melanie Benson provides pragmatic and sensible advice and has an excellent eye for detail. She is very pleasant to work with and goes the extra mile for her clients.’
Gordon Ramsay Restaurants
IMO Car Wash Group
Rockstar Games UK Limited / Take-Two Interactive
Kobalt Music Group
- Acting on the acquisition of a large number of premises for Gordon Ramsay Restaurants.
- Acting for IMO Car Wash Group – the world’s largest car wash group in connection with the management of its extensive portfolio of operating sites across England and Wales, acting on the renewal of a number of leases of operating sites for the client.
- Acting for Rockstar Games UK Limited / Take-Two Interactive – the UK subsidiary of major software developer and video game publisher, Rockstar Games / Take-Two Interactive, in relation to its property matters. The firm recently acted on the acquisition and lease renewal of various premises for the clients.
K&L Gates LLP ‘can be relied upon to deliver sound advice across a broad range of real estate property matters’ and its ‘breadth of knowledge and experience means the team is able to act as a one-stop-shop‘ to its roster of clients in the fashion, retail, finance, logistics and technology sectors. Head of the London-based real estate team Christian Major and of counsel Steven Cox, who notably acts for clients in the leisure sector, are key contacts for corporate occupier matters, often involving an international element, while Wayne Smith advises institutional investors on acquisitions, disposals and portfolio management. Tim Webb has experience in acting for multinational corporations and domestic real estate companies across Europe, South East Asia, Brazil and China on real estate private equity matters, as well as institutional investments and development projects. ‘Intuitive’ Emma Maher and special counsel Chiara Del Frate are key contacts in the team.
Other key lawyers:
Steven Cox; Chiara Del Frate
‘Everyone we work with at K&L Gates, from trainee solicitors to partners, are all kind, competent and professional. They take every case and matter very seriously and work endlessly to produce the results we need.’
Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA)
Hines Global Income Trust
Royal Academy of Arts
Sweat Union Limited
Tourmaline Financial Services
- Advising Hakkasan on its portfolio of restaurants in London.
- Advising Unity Software in relation to its UK space requirements across several locations in London, Brighton, Southampton and Stratford upon Avon, including the acquisition of two offices in Brighton.
- Advising ABTA on the sale of 68-71 Newman Street W1.
‘The top-class team’ at Linklaters LLP advises its roster of clients, including domestic and international developers and investors, on big-ticket transactions, including M&A and distressed real estate mandates, as well as high-value regeneration and development projects. Praised as a ‘a steady and knowledgeable guiding force’, global practice head Andy Bruce leads the London-based real estate team and handles acquisition, disposal and financing matters, while senior partner Martin Elliott is the practice’s key contact for development projects. Senior partner Patrick Plant has considerable experience advising investors, developers, lenders and tenants on the full gamut of real estate property mandates in the UK, and Tom Watkins focuses on real estate M&A transactions.
Other key lawyers:
‘Andy Bruce is very impressive and knowledgeable.’
‘Great innovative thinking. Solution focused’
‘Andy Bruce is extremely personable, has in-depth market knowledge and very clear in his advice.’
‘The team is professional and all members of the team understands the client’s needs. In difficult circumstances, they are willing to explain the implications and recommend solutions which will protect the client’s interest.’
‘Andy Bruce is extremely personable.’
State Street Bank and Trust Co
- Advising Glencore on the pre-let of its new UK HQ, being three floors of the new Hanover Square development, above the Bond Street Crossrail station, from Great Portland Estates.
Macfarlanes LLP acts for clients across the logistics and life sciences sectors on redevelopment and urban regeneration projects, and has demonstrable experience in cross-border commercial and residential property transactions, including mandates pertaining to build-to-rent, private rented sector and student accommodation. ‘First-class practitioner’ Anthony Burnett-Scott, who advises on mixed-use developments, jointly leads the real estate practice alongside ‘affable partner’ Clare Breeze, who acts for international investors in commercial property and financing matters, as well as joint ventures. In the corporate occupier space, the practice acts for professional services, retail and media occupiers on relocation projects, acquisition of new premises, disposal of excess space and management of existing premises. Well-placed to advise on the real estate aspects of high-value corporate transactions, the team’s workload relating to private equity real estate continues to grow.
Anthony Burnett-Scott; Clare Breeze
Other key lawyers:
Tom Pedder; Dan Marriott; Nick Barnes
Legal & General
Norton Rose Fulbright
Lexington Partners UK LLP
- Acted for Permira Credit Limited in respect of its letting of 2nd Floor, 100 Pall Mall, London SW1.
- Advised Ekistics Property Advisors on their acquisition of 19-20 St James’s Street, a multi-let office and retail property in the heart of St James’s.
- Advised KPS Capital Partners, LP on the English property aspects of their acquisition of the European tinplate business of Crown Holdings Group.
Praised as ‘diligent’ and ‘always hungry for deals’, specialist commercial real estate firm Maples Teesdale LLP provides a partner-led, ‘seamless service’ to its client roster, ranging from institutional investors and property developers to UK-based construction companies, international occupiers and global law firms. Declan Power handles forward funding and purchases matters, as well as joint ventures and development agreements, arising out of the retail, mixed-use and industrial sectors, while Roger Thornton is a key contact for investment transactions, including high-value sales and purchases. Neil Sagoo acts for occupiers in headquarters and other business-critical relocations, while Katherine Watts focuses on both corporate occupier and landowner matters.
Neil Sagoo; Katherine Watts
Other key lawyers:
Roger Thornton; Chris Wilkinson
‘The Maples team offer a partner-led service.’
‘Katherine Watts and her team think commercially.’
‘The team are consistently good, and maintain a strong relationship, bringing learnings from previous projects together to future work, and challenging us to look at things differently.’
‘Incredibly knowledgeable about the subject matter, very responsive, pragmatic and solution oriented. They work hard to meet deadlines and explain things in a manner our business teams can understand in order to make informed decisions.’
Cass Business School
City, University of London
Gerson Lehrman Group
Pacific Life Re
Royal & Sun Alliance
The AllBright Group
- Advising RSA on the acquisition of new offices on Level 8 at 22 Bishopsgate.
- Advising Bleckmann Logistics on three new fulfilment centres in the UK, Suffolk Park in Bury St. Edmunds, Magna Park in Lutterworth and Swindon Trinity Park.
- Advising Shine TV Limited on the relocation of its Masterchef premises to Birmingham, as part of a development project involving Stanhope, Peaky Blinders creator, Steven Knight and Homes England.
Praised as ‘exceptionally well-informed and knowledgeable’, boutique firm RLS Law is well-placed to ‘demystify complex matters’ in the corporate occupier space, involving warehouses and offices, as well as retail, industrial and leisure sites. The practice also has demonstrable experience in development projects, investments and property litigation. Founder Julien Rutler jointly leads the practice alongside Craig Themis, both of whom have considerable experience in major headquarters relocations, while Tom Foley’s ‘calm and measured approach, combined with technical excellence and depth of expertise, means that deals are completed with minimum of drama’. Liam McArdle is another key member of the team.
Julien Rutler; Craig Themis
Other key lawyers:
Tom Foley; Liam McArdle
‘RLS are a forward thinking, modern firm, connecting with their clients and the industry when required. I have always been impressed with RLS’s depth of knowledge and the industry sectors they cover.’
‘The RLS team are exceptionally well-informed and knowledgeable, and provide an excellent level of service to our client’s. They work well within a team environment where the delivery of the project or instruction is reliant upon a number of individuals or organisations.
‘I have worked with Craig Themis on a number of instructions, and always found Craig to be innovative and committed to the resolution of issues or problems, and delivery of the client’s needs and requirements.’
‘The RLS team are technically expert but very commercial and approachable – they are able to demystify complex matters into totally understandable language for people who are not expert in the field.’
‘Tom Foley is able to cut through issues to get to the heart of the problem. His calm and measured approach, combined with technical excellence and depth of expertise, means that deals are completed with minimum of drama.’
‘Julien Rutler and Liam McArdle both understand the things that really matter to us and are willing to take a commercial view which is helpful in getting deals agreed.’
‘Very thorough, responsive and commercial.’
‘Liam McArdle is excellent. Practical advice and a calm head.’
Sony Music Entertainment Limited
Urban & Provincial
Soho Housing Association Limited
Time Out Group PLC
Bloom and Wild Limited
Gama Healthcare Limited
- Advised Octopus Energy Group on the acquisition of its new headquarters at UK House, 2-4 Great Titchfield Street, London W1.
- Advised ViacomCBS in the disposal of the previous CBS digital media offices in Shoreditch, London.
- Acting for Time Out Group PLC on its new headquarters in Covent Garden.
Ronald Fletcher Baker LLP’s ‘seamlessly integrated’ practice is noted for its expertise in corporate occupier matters, ranging from high-value leases for headquarters and portfolio refinances, to sale transactions and leasebacks, as well as general leasing and tenant advice. Counting financial institutions, high-net-worth individuals, charities and corporate investors among its key roster of clients, the team is led by ‘standout’ partner and expert property litigator Rudi Ramdarshan, while David Burns’ ‘experience shines through’ and ‘is particularly knowledgeable in matters involving mixed-used property portfolios’. Senior associate Simon Lawrence acts for landlords and tenants on commercial lettings.
Rudi Ramdarshan; David Burns
Other key lawyers:
‘Simon Lawrence’s experience in this area is priceless. He is able to make things happen quickly and is completely unflappable.’
‘The team has exceptional solicitors at all levels. They have a unique collaboration between their transactional and litigation teams which is essential in this area.’
‘Rudi Ramdarshan is a known name in the industry, in particular for mixed-use properties. He is knowledgeable and responsive, David Burns is an exceptional lawyer. He is smart and charming and real rising star.’
‘The firm’s contentious and non-contentious departments are seamlessly integrated. This offers a rich and exceptional service. They have talented solicitors at all levels from partners to associates and even trainees.’
‘Rudi Ramdarshan is a standout individual and a go-to name, particularly for matters involving vacant possession strategies. He is known to act for some of the most well-known portfolio landlords.’
‘David Burns has deep knowledge of all things property related. He is particularly knowledgeable in matters involving mixed-used property portfolios and his experience shines through.’
Glasshouse Asset Management
Al Sraiya Group Limited (Qatar)
Habib Bank AG Zurich
Keystone Holdings Limited (Isle of Man)
Urban Spectrum Property Management Limited
Harson Investments Limited
- Acting for Comptoir Group Plc in the acquisition of a number of leases for a growing restaurant chain, which included agreements for lease, rent deposit deeds and outside seating arrangements.
- Acting for ILM Capital in the acquisition of several distressed mixed-use properties and thereafter obtaining vacant possession to allow the redevelopment of the property and grant of new leases.
- Acting for Glasshouse in a multi-party, mixed-use redevelopment matters in prime London locations.
With demonstrable experience in the hospitality, retail and leisure, franchising and education sectors, Sherrards Solicitors LLP - which operates from two bases in London and St Albans - handles a range of corporate occupier matters, including standalone lease renewals and regears, as well as portfolio asset management. The team’s workload also includes investment acquisitions and disposals, development agreements and financing mandates. Charles Hodder, who acts for overseas clients, particularly in Malaysia and Singapore, on investment acquisitions and leasing matters, jointly leads the practice alongside St Albans-based Terry Fendt. ‘Highly experienced and diligent’ Isabel Wolfe Barry handles landlord and tenant work, acquisitions and portfolio restructuring.
Charles Hodder; Terry Fendt
Other key lawyers:
Isabel Wolfe Barry
‘Isabel Wolfe Barry is an outstanding lawyer who is a pleasure to work with and has consistently given good advice.’
‘The team’s availability is generally good and the partners take a practical approach.’
‘Charles Hodder is a friendly and experienced lawyer, who finds practical solutions to get the task done on time.’
‘The commercial property team are experienced, always offer solutions, are proactive and responsive.’
‘Isabel Wolfe Barry is knowledgeable and hardworking.’
‘Isabel Wolfe Barry is a highly experienced and diligent commercial property lawyer. Nothing is too much trouble, she is calm under pressure and secures the right outcomes for her clients.’
Cambria Automobiles Plc
Watch House Coffee Holdings Limited
Explore Learning Ltd
Master Removers Group and Ward Thomas Removals Limited
Landmark Estates Limited
EMCOR Group (UK) Plc
City Athletic Limited
- Acting for a large infrastructure services plc in connection with its property portfolio, including lease acquisitions and disposals.
- Acting for a retail developer on the acquisition of a property for the purposes of re-development and the grant of a lease to a large supermarket chain.
- Acting for a London-based coffee chain on the acquisition of another chain of coffee shops and advising on renegotiation of leases.
Counting Holland & Barrett, McArthurGlen and Currys among its key roster of clients, Shoosmiths LLP’s London real estate team acts for both landlords and tenants across the retail, technology, office and leisure sectors on a broad range of corporate occupier matters. The practice, which frequently acts as co-counsel to US and global law firms, also has demonstrable experience in leasing transactions, portfolio acquisitions and disposals, as well as sales and leasebacks. Joseph Mazzucca leads the team and has experience in investments, development projects, corporate transactions and finance matters, while ‘outstanding’ Liam Phillips is noted for his expertise in the data centre sector.
Other key lawyers:
Liam Phillips; Choisanne Man; Paul Alger
‘The team is always available and responds quickly to all questions. Their advice is good and rapid.’
‘Liam Philips is outstanding. Reliable and quickly responds to any issues.’
Dixons Carphone plc
Holland & Barrett
Polo Ralph Lauren
Proximity Data Centres
Infinity SDC Limited
Far East Consortium
City and Provincial Properties
Nicolas James Group
Future High Street Living
BM Corporate Holdings
Attic Self Storage
- Advised McArthurGlen Group in relation to all UK asset management and leasing work.
- Acted for Carphone Warehouse in 90 representations relating to the closure of its standalone stores in the UK.
- Advised Holland & Barratt on a large number of tenant matters.
Praised for its ‘exceptional dedication to serving the client at any time, on any matter’, international firm Taylor Wessing LLP’s real estate team has demonstrable experience in big-ticket transactions, regularly involving cross-border elements, and has been particularly in advising on investments arising out of the logistics sector. Large-scale residential and mixed-use development projects take up a large proportion of the practice’s workload, as well as lease renewals and regears, and major letting matters. Paul Lawrence leads the firm’s international and UK real estate group, and Mark Rajbenbach, who is commended for his ‘uncompromising approach to detail and results’, advises on hotel portfolio sales and purchases, leasebacks and management agreements. Keith Barnett is a key contact for corporate occupier matters and Matthew Swainston handles joint ventures, in addition to landlord and tenant transactions, while Alan Evans focuses on sales and leasebacks, as well as portfolio acquisitions.
Other key lawyers:
Alan Evans; Keith Barnett
‘Exceptional dedication to serving their client at any time on any matter. Commercially astute and they won’t waste time debating theoretical outcomes. Can cut to the heart of any situation with relative ease.’
‘Mark Rajbenbach combines a user friendly approach with an uncompromising approach to detail and results.’
‘Excellent knowledge of the sector, deep understanding of our business, availability and responsiveness of the partners.’
Tritax Big Box REIT
Invesco Real Estate
Secure Income REIT
- Advising Landmark Space on the lease requirements of its brand-new signature building in King’s Cross.
- Advising Mercers’ Company in relation to the exchange of an agreement for lease relating to the letting of 50,000 square feet at locations in Mercer Walk, Langley Street, Neal Street and Shelton Street to Diageo at Mercers’ Covent Garden estate.
- Advising on the agreement for lease to 16CS Lease Ltd (a subsidiary of LouLou group one of the leading restaurateurs in France) in connection with works to redevelop/refurbish a listed building at 16 Charles Street, London W1 for use as a restaurant.
The ‘well established and experienced’ commercial property practice at Bates Wells handles development projects, finance and secured lending transactions and investment acquisitions. Practice head Mark Traynor provides a ‘truly outstanding level of service’ for commercial, charity, and private clients. Malcolm Headley ‘provides calm, pragmatic advice’ on all aspects of commercial real estate, while the ‘knowledgeable and pragmatic’ Karli Hiscock has extensive experience acting for commercial organisations and charities. Jamie Huard focuses on work associated with social enterprises and heritage property; clients say Huard is ‘extremely helpful and knowledgeable’.
Other key lawyers:
Jamie Huard; Karli Hiscock; Malcolm Headley; Safia Daud
‘In our dealings with Bates Wells, the team showed a great deal of discretion. They were organised and always available to discuss options and potential ways forward in our case.’
‘William Scott and Karli Hiscock were a pleasure to deal with. They were professional, diligent, discrete and a pleasure to work with.’
‘I have worked with are Karli Hiscock, who is very knowledgeable and pragmatic. She can be relied on to take sensible points and not argue about lease clauses for the sake of it; she has a sound approach to risk and knows our charity well and its governance.’
‘Well established and experienced practice advising occupiers. Very competitive fees for a city practice and a very personal level of service from experienced partners and senior associates.’
‘Malcolm Headley – very experienced, provides calm, pragmatic advice and spends time getting to know his clients’ businesses.’
‘In one transaction Mark Traynor was an absolute colossus. Truly outstanding level of service.’
‘I always judge people on how they interact with me on a personal level and professional level. I find all members of the team at Bates Wells great to work with including Malcolm Headley and Safia Daud.’
‘Jamie Huard was extremely helpful and knowledgeable . He worked to extremely tight deadlines and was unfailingly polite and positive.’
Lely Atlantic Limited
Nikon UK Limited
The Advertising Standards Authority
World Cancer Research Fund
Council of Inns of Court
FM Conway Limited
The Charity Bank
- Advising V-Zug UK Limited in relation to its flagship UK showroom and demonstration space in the heart of London’s luxury retail hub.
- Advising London Road Peterborough Properties Limited in relation to a high-profile acquisition of Peterborough United Football Ground helping to secure the club’s long-term home and continuing its economic and social benefit for the city.
- Advising English National Ballet School in its lease of new premises, Canary Wharf area and a renewal of its premises in central London.
The real estate department at Bird & Bird LLP is led by Jonathan Baker, who has particular expertise in development and finance. The firm has seen growth in its corporate occupier practice in the hotel, hospitality, and leisure space, and continues to use a sector-specific approach which focuses on the energy and utilities, retail and consumer, technology and communications, and financial services industries. The firm’s diverse client base includes banks, investment funds, developers, public sector organisations, and global businesses.
Other key lawyers:
Karen Friebe; Peter Nicholson; James Salford; Emma Brindley-Raynes
‘Karen Friebe is truly excellent- always pragmatic, commercial and very responsive.’
Great Sutton Properties
Cally Yard Ltd
New River Yard Ltd
- Advised on the purchase of Cally Yard, Caledonian Road, London N7 – a multi-let office investment, involving a complex leasing structure and service charge regime.
Druces LLP‘s real estate team is led by Nicholas Brent, who specialises in advising occupiers on a range of issues. The firm continues to assist clients through the aftermath of Covid-19’s effects on the occupier markets which includes rental renegotiations and the termination of existing leases through excercising break clauses. The firm acts for a variety of clients such as landlords, investment companies, and charities. Adrian Footer is a key partner at the practice and has expertise in acting for occupiers in the finance sector.
Other key lawyers:
Adrian Footer; Karen Chapman
‘We appreciate the clarity of communication.’
‘Highly experienced partners and good back-up from team.’
‘Able to stand back and assess commercial points in context of considerable experience.’
‘The Druces property team are a pretty agile lot – responsive, accessible and armed with good commercial advice. Their legal knowledge is extensive but the focus is on practical solutions.’
‘I’ve worked with Adrian Footer on many commercial property deals and his advice has always been sound, practical and useful. He focuses on the aspects that matter most to us and getting the job done. He’s very approachable, responsive and knows his stuff!’
AXA Insurance UK Plc
Blueprint Sports Limited
Houzz UK Limited
CIEE Study Abroad London Limited
- Acting for AXA in continued high value lettings of regional headquarters in East Anglia, to an arm of Government and to a well known insurance company.
The ‘knowledgeable, commercial and friendly‘ corporate occupiers team at Forsters LLP is led by Glenn Dunn. Andrew Crabbie is overall head of commercial real estate, focusing on transactional matters, while Victoria Towers handles development matters.
‘Superb senior solicitors who are proactive and commercial in advising clients of the smartest outcomes.’
‘The team at Forsters are very astute and technically at the top of their game. We share mutual clients who put great faith in Forsters to deliver favourable outcomes particularly on large corporate relocations. Forsters always put together a strong team to deliver with a wide range of experiences and diversity. I know the clients we share are as impressed as we are with Forsters work.’
‘Their solicitors are knowledgeable, commercial, and also friendly. I have often been put off using external counsel when their advice is heavy on legalese and light on usable commercial advice. However, Forsters have excelled at providing succinct advice which cuts to the heart of the relevant issues. I have found their fixed fee structure to be at a good market rate and typically stuck to save for exceptional circumstances. Where an uplift has been needed, there has been good reason for doing so.’
‘They are highly practical and take the time to understand business drivers before providing legal advice. I have confidence that Forsters are working in sync with my real estate team to ensure we deliver the right outcomes. Lines of communications are short, Forsters know what needs to be escalated and are always willing to put in the hours when deadlines are tight. In short they are a trusted partner that delivers.’
‘Glenn Dunn and Victoria Towers are extremely personable and effective. Engaged with developing strong client relationships and understanding issues and managing outcomes.’
‘It is rare to find a solicitor who can provide excellent legal advice while still also being a person you would happily have a celebratory drink with post-completion.’
‘I appreciate how down to earth and easy to work with Glenn Dunn and Owen Spencer are. They are also both very knowledgeable about the market and market participants.’
‘Owen Spencer is the key contact on our account. Dealing with Owen is very straightforward, and has excellent communication skills, he always remains calm but knows how to get issues resolved between all parties. Simply put Owen is a very trusted partner for our business.’
Hill Dickinson LLP‘s real estate team advises major corporate occupiers on a range of matters, as well as strategic, transactional, and landlord and tenant matters. Jim Garton, who leads the real estate practice, has significant expertise in the hotels and leisure sector, while Richard Taylor has more than 35 years of experience in both domestic and international real estate matters.
Other key lawyers:
Richard Taylor; Emma McIntosh
Paragon Development Finance Limited
Espalier Property Ventures
Conygar Investment Company plc
Ingenious Real Estate
- Advising on the Swedish Wharf site on the Thames, since this has raised a number of related marine issues. The firm has also been assisting its corporate team with a group restructuring, which involves numerous complex and very significant property aspects.
- Advising an established name in the casino industry and offers a diverse portfolio of gaming and entertainment venues, covering strategic, transactional and landlord and tenant matters.
Keystone Law's commercial property experts act for clients across the retail, hospitality and leisure sectors on large-scale leases, as well as landlord and tenant issues, and has demonstrable capability in mid-market transactions, including sales and purchases, and development projects. Key names in London include James Daglish and Shayne Foley, who advises large-scale occupiers on matters pertaining to UK-based headquarters and relocations.
Other key lawyers:
James Daglish; Shayne Foley; Lisa Raymond; Paula Abrahamian
‘The team has great synergy and are always available.’
‘I have always found Keystone to have very competent and professional people. Their services can be used 100% remotely and yet it still feels personal.’
‘James Daglish has proved to be very knowledgeable and has helped me a great deal with licensing on new sites and indeed was instrumental in the recent renegotiations with landlords due to Covid-19. He understands you are as a client are not a lawyer and so summarises the negotiations and what it means in a way that is easily understood. James has always been available when required even if it is just for clarity on a legal point or other matter. I have found him to be good value for the work done and have never felt overcharged.’
Divertido Hospitality Group Ltd
Nightlight Leisure Ltd
Henley Investments 123H Limited
Fiduciam Nominees Limited
Kuwait Business Town Real Estate Company
City and County Healthcare Group Limited
- Advised Divertido Hospitality Group Ltd on commercial property matters pertaining to due diligence, and negotiated the lease and relevant documents.
- Advised Nightlight Leisure Ltd on the due diligence on the site (33 Cornhill, in the City of London), clearing of references to the previous tenant and agreeing new lease of the ground floor, mezzanine and basement.
- Advised Kuwait Business Town Real Estate Company on all commercial property aspects of its investment, including the real estate finance component related to Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank’s financing of the acquisition.
Marriott Harrison LLP works with clients across the technology, media, professional services, leisure and retail sectors on corporate occupier matters, covering lease negotiations, including lease regears using break clauses, as well as headquarter relocations. Mark Lavers, whose ‘advice and support is always first-class’, leads the ‘professional, friendly and knowledgeable’ team and acts for investors and owner occupiers, while ‘extremely knowledgeable’ Stephen Whittaker focuses on real estate financing matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Their work is accurate and timely, and they are knowledgeable and supportive.’
‘Partner-led service by experienced partners.’
‘Mark Lavers is very pragmatic and efficient.’
‘Professional, friendly and knowledgable.’
‘Mark Lavers offers sensible advice, has a good approach and is always helpful.’
‘Dealing with Marriott Harrison means dealing with experts. They star for their speed of response. Nothing is allowed to sit in their inboxes.’
‘Mark Lavers provides a depth of knowledge and a the light touch that my clients need.’
‘Stephen Whittaker is extremely knowledgeable in his sector and offers balanced and professional advice.’
‘Mark Lavers’ advice and support is always first-class when required.’
Balderton Capital (UK) LLP
Procam Take 2 Limited
Think Publishing Limited
Total Media Group Limited
Vistex (UK) Limited
Lightship Chartering (UK) Limited
Firstlight Group Limited
Medical Imaging Partnership Limited
Hurley Palmer Flatt Ltd
Luk Events Limited
Magni Partners Limited
Snow Peak (London) Limited
Age UK Camden Ltd
Schleich UK Limited
RB Golf Limited
Northumberland Events Ltd
One Circle Events
- Advised a tech company on its new office lease in Mayfair.
- Advised Schleich UK Limited on its new office lease.
- Advised Medical Imaging Partnership on subleases, new premises and lease renewals.
Counting investors from the US, Scandinavia and the Middle and Far East among its key roster of clients, Payne Hicks Beach LLP has demonstrable experience in residential investments, as well as acting for landowners on various aspects of developments, including promotion agreements, forward funding and land sales. Andrew Berry, who is noted for his expertise in the residential, hotel and leisure sectors, jointly leads the practice alongside Emma Copestake, who advises on landlord and tenant matters, lease extensions and funding arrangements.
Emma Copestake; Andrew Berry
Other key lawyers:
Justin Dunlop; Marisa Beccarelli
Quastels LLP acts for clients across the office, retail, industrial, hospitality and leisure sectors on a range of corporate occupier matters, including headquarters relocations, office moves and leasing issues, and has demonstrable capability in acquisitions and disposals, portfolio management and financing mandates. Practice co-leader Owen Walsh is praised for his ‘wealth of experience’ in real estate transactions, asset management and business tenancies, while practice co-leader Michael Haringman is noted for his expertise in the retail sector. Property finance specialist Mark Cornelius is another key member of the team.
Michael Haringman; Owen Walsh
Other key lawyers:
Mark Cornelius; Jonathan Gross
‘Every transaction is partner-lead and driven.’
‘The partners know their stuff. They get to know they clients very well and their respective advisors, whether it be surveyors, accountants or other professionals.’
‘The firm has knowledgeable personnel in all areas of commercial property transactions and provides an excellent level of communication.’
‘I believe the firm has immense strength and wealth of experience.’
‘Not all heroes wear capes, but Owen Walsh’s wealth of experience, compassion and knowledge often kept me well-assured.’
‘Highly personal service, very responsive and always gave a sense that I was a priority client.’
‘Support from associates is at a level you would expect from a salaried partner. My focus is generally property related however they understand not only the legal side of any transaction but also give a very solid view taking into consideration the reality of the commercial world.’
‘I use Jonathan Gross and Mark Cornelius regularly – I get very good and quick advice and a responsive service.’
The Kitchen Group
My London Home
Balmain Fashion UK Limited
Ross Shire Engineering
Tommis Burger Joint
Magnum Properties plc
- Acting for a client in connection with the lease of their new head office in London.
- Acting for a client in connection with the sale of a building in New Bond Street/Albemarle Street.
- Advising an international chocolate and gelato brand on taking several leases within prime locations in central London, as part of its global expansion including Piccadilly, Covent Garden and Battersea Power Station
Clients ‘breathe a sigh of relief when RPC are instructed on real estate matters’, including headquarters establishments and office relocations, portfolio restructuring, sales and leasebacks, as well as landlord and tenant mandates. Practice leader Elizabeth Alibhai advises on transactions in the office, hotel healthcare and logistics sectors, and has demonstrable experience in handling residential and retail-related development projects. The team counts manufacturers, hotel and leisure operators, funds, insurers and professional services occupiers among its key roster of clients.
Other key lawyers:
Karen Hendy; Sukh Ahark; Catherine Young
‘Huge shout out for Catherine Young. She is a shining star. Self-motivated, pays attention to detail and has the patience and determination to close the toughest of matters.’
‘Great response times and their commercial approach is to be applauded. Grateful that they pay as much attention to the big picture as to the fine detail of closing all the documentation in a timely manner. Always breathe a sigh of relief when RPC are instructed on real estate matters.’
‘Elizabeth Alibhai is bright, responsive, pleasant, commercial and knows how to keep her capable team happy and are therefore able to consistently deliver great results.’
Hasib Holding Company Establishment
Kout Food Group
King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust and St Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust
- Advised King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust and St Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust on the occupational arrangements of their pathology services JV across four hospitals, as well as negotiating the JV’s high value lease of its laboratory premises.
- Acted for NASUWT (the teachers’ union) on the transfer of a portfolio of 18 freehold properties as part of a reorganisation.
The ‘solid, all-round team’ at Russell-Cooke LLP frequently collaborates with firm’s planning and construction groups to handle landlord and tenant matters, investment transactions and redevelopment projects. Counting national food and beverage operators, fashion retailers and property investment funds among its key roster of clients, the team has demonstrable experience in office relocations and portfolio management, as well as advising landlords on the grant of leases. Matt Garrod leads the practice and advises on portfolio transactions, in addition to premises acquisitions for retail clients.
Other key lawyers:
Arnold Isaacson; Robert Lusher
‘The team at Russell-Cooke were excellent when acting for us in relation to our office relocation in London.’
‘A very solid, all-round team with sensible fees.’
‘Russell-Cooke are a breath of fresh air. Their communication is regular, with a clear wealth of experience. We have utilised both commercial property litigation and commercial property conveyancing services.’
‘Chris Barkley is extremely capable, professional and commercial and I would recommend his services to anyone seeking sound legal advice in this area.’
‘Pieter Boodt has real attention to detail.’
Clipstone Industrial Unit Trust
Pret a Manger (Europe) Limited & Eat Limited
Edward Gostling Foundation (previously ACT Foundation)
Goldcrest Land Limited
Southern Properties Group
UK Land Limited
Campden Hill Limited
Oxbury Bank plc
Swim Studio Limited
Carter Ruck Solicitors
Wasabi Co Ltd
M & Co Trading Ltd
Voith Turbo Limited
AG Bloom LML BV
Lok’n Store Limited
Gorillas Technologies UK Limited
The Karma Co-Kitchen Limited
Cantinetta London Limited and RB London Group Limited (t/a Beefbar)
Red Lion Chambers
Netwise Hosting Limited
Mitsubishi HC Capital UK plc (formerly Hitachi Capital plc)
- Acting for Pret a Manager on transactional and contentious property matters, including the expansion of its portfolio of shops.
- Acted for GorillasTechnologies on its investment in 20 new lettings of hubs of sites throughout London and in Manchester.
- Acting for Sharkmob on the letting of the fourth floor of the 80 Strand Grade II listed building.
RWK Goodman - the result of the recent merger of London firm Goodman Derrick and South West firm Royds Withy King - has a real estate team which advises corporate occupiers on the full spectrum of matters concerning lease renewals, re-gears, and restructuring, as well as landlord consents, and dilapidations. Practice head Dominic Whelan has significant experience assisting tenants with pre-let agreements in the retail, PRS, and leisure sectors. Ross Sidwell advises on major lettings and a wide range of commercial property transactions.
Other key lawyers:
Ross Sidwell; Gregor Hamlen
The Office Group
Lok n Store
Tuffnells Parcels Express Limited
Wellgate Care Limited
Strabag UK Limited
- Acting for The Office Group for the significant letting of the balance of the 55,000 sq foot building The Gridiron, St Pancras; several key lettings for TOG to their clients; and significant letting to Google.
- Acting for Strabag UK limited in respect of its first significant letting in the UK.
- Advising long-standing AIM listed client Lok’nStore Group, a well known storage brand, in relation to multiple transactions including acquisitions, sales, lease renewals and general commercial property advice.
Shepherd and Wedderburn
Scottish firm Shepherd and Wedderburn, which also operates from a base in London, has demonstrable experience in investments, lease negotiations, portfolio management and occupational matters. The team ‘fosters a spirit of collaboration’ and is well-placed to leverage the expertise of the firm’s tax, construction, projects and planning groups. Edinburgh-based Fraser Grant focuses on developments and pre-letting matters in the city office market. Consultant Stephen Hubner has stepped down from leadership of the team; Jonathan Rickard now leads the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Fraser Grant; Stephen Hubner
‘The quality of service and advice tends to represent excellent value for money.’
‘The individuals at Shepherd and Wedderburn are approachable and easy to deal with. The team fosters a spirit of collaboration between our in-house legal team and their own team.’
Instant Managed Offices
Virgin Money/Clydesdale Bank
NSMP Operations Limited
- Advising Instant Managed Offices on numerous managed office deals.
- Advising Epic Games in relation to its portfolio of occupational sites in England and across the UK.
- Advising Virgin Money/Clydesdale Bank on its retail branch management work throughout the UK, including acquisitions, disposals, assignments, underleases, ATMs and licences.