Health and safety in London
Clyde & Co LLP advises both insurers and multinational companies on all aspects of health and safety work. The 'totally dependable and incredibly smart' Chris Morrison leads the team out of Manchester and has extensive experience of public investigations and inquiries; he has been leading the firm's team advising CEP Facades, the cladding fabricator to Grenfell Tower, on the ongoing police investigation and public inquiry into the fire at the tower in 2017. Other key figures include Rod Hunt, who is also based in Manchester and especially known for his work in the energy, construction and manufacturing sectors; and Mark Brookes, who is highly skilled in handling corporate manslaughter and workplace fatality cases. Associate Roger Cartwright is also recommended.
‘Pragmatic, clear, sensible advice. Total grasp of law, regulation, the approach of courts, tribunals and regulatory authorities in practice. The team understands the way businesses and people work.’
‘Chris Morrison is totally dependable, incredibly smart, tells you like it is. Superb knowledge of a wide variety of industries and work.’
‘Mark Brookes is calm, provides clear advice and is happy to run matters and take the headache away from you.’
‘Mark Brookes has a phenomenal grasp of the detail of a case.’
- Represented CEP Facades Ltd, the cladding fabricator to Grenfell Tower in the ongoing Metropolitan Police investigation and the public inquiry arising out of the Grenfell Tower fire in 2017.
- Advised ejection seat manufacturer Martin-Baker on HSE prosecution arising from the death of a Red Arrows pilot in 2011 at RAF Scampton, when he was inadvertently ejected from his aircraft whilst stationary on the runway.
- Represent a director of Petroleum Distribution (Jersey) Limited following a serious fire at the company’s premises in La Collette, Jersey in May 2017.
- Represented Imperial College London on a HSE investigation into the death of a scientist who was asphyxiated while decanting freezing liquid nitrogen.
DAC Beachcroft LLP has a strong emphasis on international work, with a particular focus on sectors such as insurance, health and real estate. Fiona Gill - who is described as 'highly respected' and 'at the top of her game' - heads up the practice and has a reputation for working on high profile cases relating to construction and healthcare. She is supported by 'experienced big-hitter' Colin Moore and solicitor Claire Moore, whose work predominantly revolves around road haulage, manufacturing and construction. Recent major work for the team has included advising construction company Rydon Maintenance in relation to the Grenfell Tower fire, including the public inquiry and police investigation.
‘Very experienced and currently absorbing most of the insurance market in the big cases.’
‘Fiona Gill is at the top of her game. She is highly respected and very cerebral on tactics and decision making. Her particular strength is her questioning mind and her desire to make sure that the usual approach to these cases is the best course for her client.’
‘Colin Moore is an experienced big-hitter and not fazed by the big case and quick to understand a complicated issue. He gets to the point and achieves great results. He has a particularly sound knowledge of the relevant legislation.’
Rydon Maintenance Ltd
St George PLC
Howdens Joinery Co
- Acting for Rydon Maintenance in relation to the Grenfell Tower fire, including the Grenfell Tower Inquiry and the Metropolitan Police Investigation.
- Advising explosives demolition contractor Robinson Birdsell following the unplanned collapse of the boiler houses at Didcot Power station in February 2016.
DLA Piper runs the gamut of health and safety work, advising an impressive roster of household name clients. National head Teresa Hitchcock divides her time between Sheffield and London, and is well known for her work in construction and manufacturing. John Gollaglee works across the firm's Manchester and Liverpool offices and is an expert contentious matters, particularly relating to corporate manslaughter. Newly promoted partner Alastair Clough similarly splits his time between Sheffield and London and is notably strong in advising on health and safety issues concerning transactions. Legal director Ailish Oxenforth is also recommended.
- Advising Airbus Helicopters, the manufacturer of the police helicopter which crashed into the roof of the Clutha Public House in the centre of Glasgow in 2013, with the loss of ten lives.
DWF represents a substantial roster of big-name name clients, including Marks and Spencer, Arcadia and RSA, advising on both regulatory compliance and high-profile investigations. Manchester-based Steffan Groch leads the team nationally and is an expert in crisis management pertaining to construction, infrastructure and insurance. Dominic Watkins is a key figure and very active in retail-related investigations. Hilary Ross has a focus on the retail sector, as well as food and beverages.
‘Senior associate James Jevon is very knowledgeable, astute and on the ball regarding strategy.’
Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
Marks and Spencer
- Represented Arcadia in a case where a child suffered a serious brain injury at one of its stores.
- Acted for Electricity North West on appeal against a charge involving a fatal accident in 2013.
- Represented Harford Attachments during a police investigation into corporate manslaughter arising out of an explosion in a paint spraying booth.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP is a popular choice for multinational companies in relation to both contentious and non-contentious health and safety matters. Birmingham-based Kevin Elliott leads the team nationally and regularly advises on fatalities and serious incidents. Another notable name from the Birmingham office is David Young, who is especially experienced in the aerospace, energy, and food and beverage sectors. Newcastle-based Tim Hill leads the offices in Northern England and Scotland, and his work has a strong emphasis on the energy and manufacturing industries. Also recommended is senior associate Sarah Valentine who is experienced in corporate manslaughter investigations.
Mitchells & Butlers plc
Kier / Turriff Contractors
Sir Robert McAlpine
National Grid Electricity Transmission plc
- Acted on behalf of Interserve Facilities Management in respect of a prosecution brought by the HSE.
- Advising National Grid in respect of criminal investigations brought by the HSE following the death of an employee.
- Advised Mitchells & Butlers following a norovirus outbreak linked to the Toby Carvery in Exeter in 2015.
- Led an internal investigation for Forterra, which was was prosecuted after an investigation into a serious accident that occurred in 2017 at the Manor Works, Claughton, near Lancaster.
- Advised CPM in respect of a fatal accident when a maintenance fitter became trapped in a conveyor.
The core areas of focus for Herbert Smith Freehills LLP are energy, industrial, transport and construction, with the practice benefiting from the wider firm's top-tier strength in litigation. 'Master tactician' Howard Watson, who heads up the team, is regarded as 'one of the leading partners in the field' and is particularly known for his work in the energy sector. Key work he has led on in recent months has included advising Chevron on the HSE investigation into the fatal explosion at its Pembroke refinery in 2011, and acting for BP on the inquest into the deaths caused by the terrorist attack at the In Amenas gas plant in Algeria in 2013.
‘A huge depth of knowledge and experience in this area.’
‘Howard Watson knows the landscape back to front; he carries enormous technical knowledge and understanding and he simply destroys the other side’s case.’
‘A very partner focused team. Howard Watson provides excellent support in a crisis. His attention to detail and experience in handling complex investigations and prosecutions is a class act.’
‘A unique team in that they operate within a major commercial, civil litigation law firm. This means that the health and safety team usually act for bluechip companies who would normally instruct HSF in civil matters. They have a fantastic reputation within certain industry sectors, such as oil and gas and transport. They combine fantastic litigation skills with a great understanding of a client’s commercial and business needs. All in all – sheer class.’
‘Howard Watson is a genius, master tactician with great instincts, always ready to fight his client’s corner but in a measured, reasonable way that is almost always effective. One of the leading partners in the field.’
‘Patrick Tumelty is a superb, incredibly diligent, thoughtful senior associate. He will know every detail of the case. Softly-spoken but if he says something, everyone listens.’
‘Phil Pfeffer manages the team very well with prompt responses and ensures appropriate delegation and deadline achievement.’
‘Greg Loss is extremely knowledgeable of the industry.’
BAE Systems PLC
- Advising Chevron in relation to the police and HSE investigation following the explosion at Chevron’s Pembroke refinery resulting in four fatalities and the resulting civil claims.
- Acting for BAE Systems in relation to the explosion in a Challenger 2 tank which resulted in the death of two servicemen and serious injuries to others.
- Acting for Perenco following an offshore fatality on one of its gas rigs.
Kennedys' work in the health and safety sphere spans across all industries, and the practice is much sought-after when it comes to high-profile investigations and prosecutions. Richard Crockford - 'the doyen of health and safety law' - is a key figure and is well-known for his work in the healthcare, rail and public sectors. Daniel McShee - who 'frightens the living daylights out of his opponents' - works for a range of clients across all industries, while another notable name is 'pugilist extraordinaire' David Wright, who is notably skilled in the oil and gas sector.
Richard Crockford; Daniel McShee
Other key lawyers:
‘Kennedys is far and away the market leader in the health and safety sector. They are superb in advising clients and making the right tactical and judgement calls during the investigation phase. Once the case gets to court, they bring an unrivalled experience in conducting cases and will always make the client feel completely supported. Simply the best.’
‘Richard Crockford is the doyen of health and safety law – he has been involved in acting for defendants in disasters from Clapham to Grenfell and everything in between.’
‘Danny McShee is a genius lawyer and master tactician – he frightens the living daylights out of his opponents.’
‘David Wright is a pugilist extraordinaire but with a great legal brain to accompany it.’
‘Susan Cha, Olivia Tusler, Stephanie Power all are tenacious, diligent and amongst the absolute best of the associates working in this sector.’
‘Daniel McShee is arguably one of the UK’s top health and safety lawyers.’
Morrison Utility Services Ltd
Kuehne and Nagel
Network Rail Infrastructure Ltd
- Acting for B&A Contracts, a tank-cleaning contractor, after three employees lost their lives in an explosion at Chevron’s oil refinery in South Wales in 2011.
- Acting for the MD of Wood Treatment Ltd, which owns the Bosley Mill in Lancashire where a 2015 explosion led to the deaths of four employees.
- Acting for the Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation in the public inquiry and criminal investigations following the Grenfell Tower fire tragedy.
- Acting for the developer of a luxury residential development beside the Thames in Central London, where a window fell from the penthouse in 2018, fatally injuring a passer-by.
- Acting for the owner and operator of a giant inflatable slide under investigation by the HSE after a high profile incident involving injuries to a number of children in a park in Woking, Surrey.
Osborne Clarke represents a range of bluechip clients on health and safety matters, often handling work which spans multiple jurisdictions. Bristol-based Mary Lawrence leads the team and is highly experienced in defending corporate companies in health and safety disputes. London-based Katie Vickery is also experienced in contentious matters, with notable strengths in the telecoms and consumer sectors. Also working form the Bristol office is senior associate Jo Forbes, who is active in the retail and healthcare sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘Osborne Clarke is a pre-eminent health and safety practice with involvement in the largest health and safety investigations and inquests.’
‘Mary Lawrence has that rare ability to be calm in a crisis whilst providing strategic, tactical and sensible advice at the earliest of stages.’
‘Katie Vickery has vast experience and tactical acumen.’
Western Power Distribution
Wales and West Utilities
Vue Entertainment Limited
Marks and Spencer
St Modwen Properties
- Representing RWE in relation to the high-profile Didcot power station collapse in 2016.
- Representing Vue Entertainment following the death of a cinemagoer who became stuck under an electric reclining seat.
- Representing RWE Generation UK at inquest relating to the death of a London Ambulance Service engineer from a fungal disease.
Corporate defence work is a mainstay of Pinsent Masons LLP's health and safety practice, which has a strong track record on cases with a cross-border element. The team is also regarded as 'an industry leader in fire related health and safety matters'. Manchester-based Kevin Bridges leads the team and has a reputation for handling cases related to the energy, construction and manufacturing sectors. Associate Laura White has been active in handling work for SMEs.
Other key lawyers:
‘Provides excellent, focused legal expertise that really addresses areas of need.’
‘The team is obviously an industry leader in fire related health and safety matters with market-leading experience and competence.’
‘Laura White is a clear and reliable communicator of advice and process, is flexible of thought but robust of opinion when required.’
‘Sean Elson is calm and reassuring to clients.’
Kier Group plc
Morgan Sindall Group plc
Pennon Group plc (Viridorand South West Water)
Future Industrial Services Limited
FedEx / TNT
ATE Truck and TrailerSales Ltd
- Acted for Morgan Sindall Construction & Infrastructure Ltd following a hand amputation incident which gave rise to a prosecution for a guarding offence.
- Represented national waste contractor Viridor Waste Management in a two week trial arising out of a rollaway skip lorry fatality and a sentencing hearing following a fatal incident involving entrapment in a large waste sorting machine.
- Acting for ATE Truck and Trailer Sales, which was prosecuted by the HSE following the death of a specialist self-employed contractor on one of its sites.
Burges Salmon LLP has been historically associated with work in the rail sector, but has of late been growing its presence in the retail and construction spaces. Practice head Ann Metherall - 'who stands out as a partner who has her finger on the pulse' is based in Bristol and has a strong reputation on rail matters. Other notable names from the Bristol office include Chris Jackson, who has a similar emphasis on rail, and Sian Edmunds who focuses on the food and beverage and consumer sectors.
‘Ann Metherall and her team have unique expertise of health and safety in the rail industry. They have long term relationships with a number of large clients in this sector. This, together with Ann’s background as a rail engineer, puts them in a unique position and enables them to offer an unrivalled service to their clients.’
‘Ann Metherall stands out as a partner who has her finger on the pulse. She is a very approachable and knowledgeable lawyer.‘
‘Chris Jackson really excels in railway and train operating matters.’
The Crown Estate
London and South Eastern Railways
John Lewis Partnership plc
The huge global platform at CMS gives the firm an edge on cross-border matters pertaining to the energy, construction, transport and manufacturing sectors. Lukas Rootman, who co-heads the practice dividing his time between London and Sheffield, has extensive experience of HSE investigations, while fellow practice head Jan Burgess works in both Aberdeen and London, primarily focusing on the oil and gas industry.
Lukas Rootman; Jan Burgess
- Acted for Veolia during an HSE investigation and subsequent prosecution which arose following the death of one of its employees.
- Represented Timet UK in the aftermath of a fatality at its site near Birmingham in December 2017 which involved an explosion in a metal workings factory.
Plexus Law advises both insurers and corporates on health and safety issues in areas including construction, manufacturing, leisure and social care. Philip Tracey leads the team and has considerable experience in claims concerning asbestos and stress. Other key figures include Anthony Baker, who regularly handles corporate manslaughter cases, and Damon Burt who also focuses on asbestos-related claims.
‘Friendly, approachable, always professional, understands client needs.’
‘This is an excellent firm with a strong presence nationally, representing some of the largest companies in the UK. It retains its personal touch through the excellent leadership from senior staff members who regularly demonstrate great loyalty to staff and customers.’
‘The team is vastly experienced in all aspects of health and safety work. Advice is always detailed, coherent and realistic. Importantly, the team is proactive, and no stone is left unturned. The team is commercially astute, and have good working relationships with enforcement teams across the country.’
‘They deliver excellent client service and listen to what the client wants.’
‘Anthony Baker stands out for his tactical acumen, experience of high value cases, determination to secure the right result for the client and his excellent relationship management.’
‘Anthony Baker, Chris Foulkes, Richard Salvini and Paul Whitfield demonstrate excellence in all aspects of the work which they undertake. They are different from others by reason of a capacity to listen, and not inflate client expectations. Even in the most complex and sensitive situations, each have a calming approach, combined with first rate advice.’
‘Paul de la Porte is excellent in front of clients and deals with all matters in a pragmatic and professional manner.’
‘As a company we have confidence in the ability of the individuals that we work with at Plexus Law. In particular in the last twelve months we have received excellent service and achieved some excellent results working with Katrina Bennett and Anthony Bushell.’
Direct Line Group (NIG)
Rugby Football Union
Bovis Homes Ltd
Homes for Haringey
- Acted for QBE in an HSE prosecution involving a fatal accident suffered by a worker on a construction site.
RPC has expertise in cases relating to corporate and gross negligence manslaughter, as well as matters involving serious incidents and casualties. Nick McMahon, 'a calm and reassuring presence for all his clients', is one of two practice heads and advises on pre-emptive and reactive health and safety issues in the healthcare, retail and construction sectors. He works alongside 'brilliant tactician and leader' Gavin Reese, who often advises on high-profile investigations and prosecutions.
Gavin Reese; Nick McMahon
‘A good combination of genuine expertise and strength in depth.’
‘The practice is very grounded and talk to you in terms that are easy to understand as a lay person.’
‘Offers a personal service and attention to detail which is exceptional for a City firm.’
‘Other firms come across as getting the job done no matter what way they come across to other people. RPC have more of a user friendly approach plus they keep you informed every step of the way.’
‘Gavin Reese is a brilliant tactician and leader. His knowledge of health and safety law is unparalleled and he is able to achieve results for his clients which defy understanding.’
‘Nick McMahon is a calm and reassuring presence for all his clients.‘
Shoosmiths LLP's team covers the entire spectrum of health and safety work, primarily acting for large international companies. Birmingham-based Roy Tozer leads the team and is particularly active in the oil and gas and construction sectors. Also based in Birmingham is Hayley Saunders, who acts for both companies and individuals on investigations, prosecutions and compliance matters. Another key figure is the 'exceptional' Charles Arrand, who is based in Milton Keynes and operates primarily in the retail, food and beverage and hospitality sectors.
‘Roy Tozer is the standout legal contact at Shoosmiths. His delivers pragmatic and informed advice and is not afraid to critique existing approaches and processes for risk management, while also providing practical and sensible suggestions as regards remediation/improvements upon the same.‘
‘Charles Arrand is an exceptional solicitor and at the top of his game with exceptional and unerring judgement informed by huge experience.’
Calor Gas Ltd
Squire Patton Boggs represents an impressive roster of multinational companies, with a particular focus on the entertainment, food and beverage, retail, construction and industrial sectors. Manchester-based Rob Elvin leads the team and is known for his corporate defence work. Other names of note include Dave Gordon, who is particularly active in the chemicals industry, and Birmingham-based Robert Biddlecombe who focuses on real estate and facilities management.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is extremely good – they provide advice on many obscure issues. The main strength is the quality of the advice.’
‘Rob Elvin’s advice is precise and useful.’
‘Gary Lewis is highly knowledgeable and involves himself fully with his clients in a way that is not typical of other lawyers. He is highly practical and pragmatic, forward looking and able to adjust his approach to clients taking account of their culture. I have seen in several cases how senior executives of his clients adopt immediate and full confidence in his advice, often across areas beyond just straight legal advice. He is always available and will put ‘on the ground’ work in with his clients, thus providing a level of support that is far more wide ranging than a typical lawyer.’
Ei Group Plc (formerly known as Enterprise Inns)
Showsec International Limited
Suez Plc (and subsidiary)
Bayer Crop Science
Mamas & Papas
International Tennis Federation
- Advising EDF Energy in relation to a prosecution following work at height accident.
- Advising Mamas and Papas on its prosecution by the HSE for breaches of health and safety regulation involving one of its products.
- Represented Homebase Limited in relation to its appeal against a prohibition notice imposed as a result of work practices.
- Advised First 2 Print Limited on its investigation by the Health and Safety Executive following a fatal accident involving an employee.
- Represented Vale Park Demolition Limited at its prosecution by the Health and Safety Executive following a serious injury of an employee.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP is regularly involved in high-profile health and safety cases, primarily in the areas of construction and retail. Bristol-based Jon Cooper leads the team and has extensive experience in handling public investigations and inquiries. In the Plymouth office, associate Stephen Panton works on cases involving the waste, construction, energy and manufacturing industries, and associate Stephen Covell is experienced in cross-border cases, particularly with connections to Germany and The Netherlands.
‘The practical and pragmatic approach taken by the team make them stand out. Their understanding of the locally enforced sector is strong and they are always available for support and advice if needed.’
‘Jon Cooper has a great knowledge of the health and safety arena and has worked on both HSE and local authority enforced cases, both as a prosecutor and in a defence capacity. This gives him an excellent understanding of the practical aspects of managing and mitigating a case.’
Babcock International Group (including Babcock Networks,
Babcock Rail and Babcock Marine (DRDL))
Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Limited
Network Rail Infrastructure Limited
Post Office Limited
Nissan Motor Manufacturing (UK) Limited
Calderys UK Limited
Senvion UK Limited
- Advised the HSE in connection with the ongoing investigation and prosecution against Valero UK Limited and B&A Contracts Limited involving the explosions at Pembroke Oil Refinery in June 2011 resulting from multiple deaths.
- Assisted Carlsberg with an HSE investigation culminating from the leak of ammonia gas during refurbishment works which resulted in the death of one contractor, very serious injuries to another and the admission to hospital of 22 individuals.
- Represented Squibb Group in an HSE prosecution emanating from alleged asbestos exposure of employees and others in the refurbishment of school premises in East London.
- Represented Calderys in an HSE investigation which alleged that employees were at risk of hand-arm vibration syndrome and silicosis due to its refractory lining operations.
BCL Solicitors LLP handles cases relating to corporate manslaughter, fatal accidents and fire safety. Guy Bastable leads the team and advises companies and individuals in inquests and investigations. Other key members of the team include Richard Reichman, who advises on fatal and major accidents, and Tom McNeill, who has acted on cases involving corporate manslaughter, fire safety and coroner's inquests.
Blackfords LLP advises for individuals, companies and public bodies on a broad range of high profile health and safety matters. The 'passionate and knowledgable' Gary Rubin leads the team and is an expert in HSE investigations and prosecutions, as well as matters relating to gross negligence and corporate manslaughter. Trevor Francis is also recommended and regularly acts on gross negligence manslaughter cases.
Other key lawyers:
‘Pure criminal law team which engenders high level of specialisation when representing clients through the police/HSE court process. Excel at representing individuals.‘
‘Gary Rubin is an excellent communicator and supports his clients really well.’
‘Gary Rubin is passionate, knowledgable, competent and tenacious about doing the job well. Gary gives you the confidence that he knows his business and you can trust his judgement.’
The Royal College of Nursing
- Representing the appointed Clerk of Works and his employer in relation to allegations arising out of the Grenfell Tower disaster.
- Acting on behalf of the tram driver following the highly publicised incident in Croydon in 2016.
- Acting for a machine operator involved in an incident resulting in another worker being fatally injured while operating a 32-tonne machine in 2014.
- Representing a postal worker charged with reversing his work vehicle into a pedestrian in a college car park.
- Representing a licensee of a public house who is under investigation by a local authority alleging various health and safety offences.
Dentons is highly skilled in investigations and health and safety issues surrounding transactions. Stephen Shergold co-heads the practice and is particularly strong in handling issues relating to the Control of Major Accident Hazards regulations involving chemical and equipment safety. Aberdeen based Malcolm Gunnyeon also leads the team and has a strong emphasis on the food and beverage, infrastructure, and oil and gas sectors. Other notable names include Sam Boileau, who focuses on the oil and gas an retail sectors, and Helen Bowdren, who works on investigations and transactional support.
Stephen Shergold; Malcolm Gunnyeon
Official Receiver / PwC – in connection with the insolvency of Carillion
Group One Automotive
The Edrington Group Limited
John Lewis & Partners
Baxters Food Group Limited
Avis Budget Group
The Action Group
Menzies Distribution Limited
Zenith Bank (UK) Limited
Holland & Barrett Retail Limited
- Advising the Official Receiver and PwC in connection with the insolvency of Carillion.
- Advising Partners for Improvement of Camden Ltd on fire safety law in connection with a contractual dispute over building refurbishment and fire safety issues at a number of large residential buildings in the Camden area.
Fieldfisher advises on the full range of matters across the health and safety sector, with a particularly strong emphasis on clients in the transport and defence sectors. Andrew Sanderson leads the team and focuses on reviews, investigations and prosecutions, primarily in the aforementioned sectors. Another notable name is Manchester-based Sarah Ellson, who is particularly strong on healthcare matters.
Other key lawyers:
National Security and Resilience Consortium
All Transport and Logistics Limited
Mediaforce Group Limited
KBC Logistics Limited
National Security and Resilience Consortium
All Transport and Logistics Limited
Mediaforce Group Limited
KBC Logistics Limited
Gowling WLG 's health and safety practice focuses primarily on the construction, food and beverage, healthcare, and aerospace industries. Birmingham-based Andrew Litchfield leads the team and has a track record of work on investigations, inquests and criminal proceedings.
Kingsley Napley LLP traditionally focuses on defending individuals in criminal investigations involving fatalities and serious accidents, but has also been building up a track record of work for corporate clients in this field too. The 'tenacious' Jonathan Grimes is a key figure and regularly represents in corporate manslaughter cases. Also recommended is Melinka Berridge, who focuses on the leisure and hospitality sectors, and senior associate Hannah Eales, who is active on fire safety matters.
‘The firm has an established health and safety practice with strength in depth. Its client base is broad, which is reflected in the fact that it can draw on the experience of partners in other regulatory fields.’
‘Jonathan Grimes is tenacious while at the same time being pragmatic and highly knowledgeable.’
‘Melinka Berridge draws on her experience in the leisure sector to provide highly commercial and practical advice and representation to a wide variety of clientele in the leisure industry from a health and safety perspective.’
‘Hanna Eales is a rising star who has significant experience in fire safety law and regularly lectures and blogs on the subject.’
London Fire Brigade/London Fire Commissioner (LFB)
- Instructed by the London Fire Brigade to represent seven former employees who have been required to give evidence for the Grenfell Tower inquiry.
Norton Rose Fulbright's health and safety team leverages the wider firm's international platform to secure work on a variety of cross-border matters, advising on public inquiries, coroner's inquests and corporate manslaughter cases. The 'superb' Caroline May leads the team and represents large corporates on both contentious and non-contentious issues.
Other key lawyers:
Lucy Bruce Jones; George Sismey-Durrant
‘The team is strong, with good knowledge of European jurisdictions.’
‘Caroline May is extremely client-focused and determined to achieve the best possible outcome for her clients.’
‘Caroline May is very good with communication in London and across Europe – she shows great interest in the business and sector.’
‘Caroline May is superb.’
Urbaser Balfour Beatty
Tokyo Electron Europe Limited
DP World, London Gateway
Crest Nicholson Plc
Techtronic Industries Co Ltd.
Macquarie Bank Limited
At Weightmans LLP, the Liverpool-based Dewi Ap Thomas heads the regulatory team and specialises in criminal and coronial jurisdictions, while Crispin Kenyon heads the London and South East team and is an expert in the construction, waste management and transport sectors. Leeds-based David Lewis, who formerly led the regulatory practice, remains a key member of the team, with a strong emphasis on the manufacturing, construction and petro-chemical sectors. Birmingham based Andrew Brammer, who recently joined from Cartwright King, represents businesses facing criminal investigations and prosecutions.
Dewi Ap Thomas; Crispin Kenyon
Construction specialist firm Beale & Co regularly handles corporate and gross negligence manslaughter cases, while also advising on fire safety and environmental regulations. Sheena Sood is one of two practice heads and advises on construction-related investigations and prosecutions. She works with co-head Joanna Lewis, who is often instructed on inquests relating to serious injuries and fatalities.
Sheena Sood; Joanna Lewis
‘Joanna Lewis is extremely professional, knowledgeable, polite, patient and proficient.’
‘Sheena Sood is pragmatic and has a very good knowledge of health and safety law.’
‘The team has a growing expertise in this area, and now take on some high-profile cases.’
‘Beale & Company have a very strong background as construction specialists which helps them to understand and cut through the technical issues much more quickly than general practitioners might. They have a thorough understanding of industry practice which enables them to give clear advice in often difficult circumstances.’
‘Sheena Sood has extensive knowledge of HSE law and practice and is adept to handling sensitive issues. She understands the urgency of matters, builds a good rapport with the client and provides sensible, pragmatic and considered advice.’
‘Jo Lewis is an excellent health and safety specialist for construction matters. She has a thorough appreciation of technical/legal issues and a first rate client manner.’
Peter Lind & Company (Central Region) Limited
AECOM Infrastructure & Environment UK Ltd
EM Highway Services Limited
Mouchel Limited – now part of WSP Parson Brinkerhoff
Hastingwood Securities Ltd.
WYG Group Limited
Association for Consultancy and Engineering
Building Engineering Services Association
Arup Group Ltd
Bevan Brittan LLP has a strong reputation in the public sector and is a popular choice for NHS trusts and housing associations. Stuart Marchant is one of three practice heads and primarily focuses on health and social care issues. Fellow practice head Adam Kendall, who is based in Birmingham, is an expert in advising on health and safety issues involving healthcare and housing. Also leading the team is Bristol-based Hannah Taylor, who predominantly works on health and safety matters concerning mental health.
Stuart Marchant; Adam Kendall; Hannah Taylor
Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust
Newcastle City Council
Your Homes Newcastle
- Represented Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust in a Care Quality Commission prosecution.
- Represented Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust on a Health and Safety Executive prosecution arising from alleged systematic failures which arose from the death of an epileptic teenager in its care.
- Represented the Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust in the prosecution by the HSE following the death of Teresa Colvin, a patient who died following a ligature incident on an inpatient psychiatric unit.
- Advising the Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Foundation Trust after a service user died from Legionnaires’ disease.
BLM recently strengthened its team with the addition of Peter James, who joined from Harrison Clark Rickerbys. James. who is an expert in corporate and gross negligence manslaughter case, now heads the London team, working in tandem with Manchester-based national head Helen Devery. Devery also has a strong track record on manslaughter cases.
Peter James; Helen Devery
Mitsui Sumitomo Underwriting at Lloyds
Regis Mutual Management
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
The range of Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP's work in the health and safety space covers the financial services, infrastructure, construction, real estate, healthcare and hospitality sectors. Craig Baylis, who leads the team, is notably strong in dealing with HSE investigations. He is supported by associate director Jeremy Bark, who is experienced in inquests and cases relating to fatal accidents.
Other key lawyers:
‘Jeremy Bark provides insightful guidance at all stages and delivered a palatable result for us. I have no hesitation in recommending Jeremy.’
Fisher Scoggins Waters LLP
Michael Appleby is the key name at Fisher Scoggins Waters LLP - he has significant experience of representing both individuals and companies in investigations and prosecutions involving workplace fatalities and serious incidents. Also recommended is Charlotte Waters, who focuses on the construction, manufacturing and engineering sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Keoghs LLP is instructed by a number of international insurers on health and safety issues including corporate and gross negligence manslaughter, environmental issues, fire safety and inquests, and investigations involving the care sector. Chris Newton leads the team and is particularly known for acting on claims pertaining to corporate and gross negligence manslaughter.
‘This team is very personable. They take the time to get to know you and your business so that they can provide the best advise for the business.’
‘Down to earth, pragmatic and straightforward.’
‘Chris Newton has an extraordinary grasp of the detail of each case and works tirelessly in the best interests of his clients.’
‘Chris Newton must be powered by Duracell batteries – he appears to have boundless energy which enables him to work incredibly hard on behalf of his clients and his enthusiasm for his cases rubs off on every member of the team and those he instructs. He has recruited well to establish a team comprised of team players who work well together, complementing one another. All the solicitors there are rightly viewed as experts in the field, very knowledgeable and experienced in representing clients from large corporates to sole traders.’
‘Christopher Newton is superb and very knowledgable. He is totally honest and pragmatic in his approach which gives total reassurance.’
‘Chris Newton has an exceptional legal mind and shares his advice in a common sense, practical and commercial way which is rare to find. Ultimately, you can trust him to genuinely care about your business as much as you do and your trust will not be misplaced.’
‘Chris Newton, the team leader, is by some distance the hardest working solicitor I have worked with over the last 25 years. Notwithstanding the vast caseload he oversees and the cases he personally conducts, he has an extraordinary grasp of the detail of each case. He works tirelessly in the best interests of his clients. It appears he has boundless energy which is infectious. He devotes precisely the same level of attention to the small cases as he does the high profile cases which he frequently conducts.’
- Advised client who was involved in a road traffic collision where a passenger in the opposite vehicle suffered catastrophic injuries.
- Represented a client who was involved in a road traffic incident where a pedestrian was killed and the client’s ability to drive was brought into question due to his senior age.
Russell-Cooke LLP 's team is led by the 'inspirational' Kizzy Augustin, who is an expert in both contentious and non-contentious health and safety matters. She has represented organisations and individuals in HSE investigations and coroners inquests.
‘The team is led by Kizzy Augustin, an inspirational woman who leads on so many issues as well as being a skilled and knowledgeable solicitor.’
‘Kizzy Augustin brings a wealth of experiences.’
‘Kizzy Augustin is a brilliant lawyer, an astute tactician and has flawless judgement.’
‘Kizzy Augustin is hugely experienced, has excellent client skills and an enviable depth of knowledge.’
‘Kizzy Augustin is outstanding in terms of her approachability, knowledge and understanding of the issues. She also liaised with partners in other fields of law that were outside her level of expertise. She was very reassuring to work with.’
‘A team of solicitors who understand their field and are a go to resource for health and safety law.’
‘Kizzy Augustin is very approachable, a great negotiator with fantastic specialist knowledge, approachable and helpful.’
Tuckers Solicitors is often instructed by the Health and Safety Executive for criminal prosecutions and to defend enforcement notice appeals. Criminal litigator Jim Meyer leads the team and regularly acts in cases involving corporate manslaughter and gross negligence manslaughter.
Other key lawyers:
Julia Thomas; Nathan Cook
‘The team at Tuckers combines the forensic skills of criminal litigators with an in-depth knowledge and understanding of health and safety law and practice. The team provide the highest standards of client care and are accessible always, 24/7.’
‘Jim Meyer is a seasoned practitioner who combines his unrivalled knowledge of health and safety law with the wily instincts of a criminal defence lawyer.’
‘Julia Thomas is formidable and professional in equal measure. She has great knowledge of health and safety law but her strength is in the practical application of that knowledge.’
Health and Safety Executive
- Advised the Health and Safety Executive on the prosecution of Priory Healthcare in relation to the death of patient Amy El-Keria.
- Advised the London Borough of Camden on the prosecution of William Hill, which was responsible for a shop falling over and killing a member of the public.
- Represented the HSE in a prosecution against McGee Group Limited following a fatal incident at a construction site in Grosvenor Square, London.
- Advised the HSE in its prosecution against Renault Retail Group, which arose from its repeated failure to ensure that its vehicle lifts were maintained in an efficient state, in efficient working order and in good repair.
- Acted for the HSE on a prosecution against Oliver Connell & Son and Rydon Construction Limited involving a fatality resulting from a worker falling from a platform.
Health and safety boutique Turnstone Law represents organisations and individuals on all aspects of health and safety law. Simon Joyston-Bechal leads the team and is works on both reactive and preemptive health and safety issues, with the unique attribute of also being a qualified doctor.