European firms in London: Spain in London
Cuatrecasas’ Ignacio Buil is managing partner of the London office and Marco Antonio Sanz works in the M&A group of the corporate and private equity practice. The office advises multinationals, financial institutions, investors and private equity, distressed, real estate and hedge funds on their transactions in Spain, Portugal and Latin America. The team also acts for Spanish and Portuguese companies on business matters and transactions in the UK.
Other key lawyers:
Taconic Capital Advisors
VGO Capital Partners
Altamont Capital Partners
Emesa Corporación Empresarial
International Schools Partnership
- Advised Deutsche Bank on the purchase of a portfolio of non-performing loans and real estate assets (Project Makalu) from Banco Sabadell.
- Advising VGO CAPITAL PARTNERS on buying a portfolio of non-performing loans (Project Coast) from Goldman Sachs.
- Advising on selling the production unit of the Toys “R” Us Group in Spain and Portugal, in bankruptcy proceedings, to Green Swan, and on the acquisition and corporate financing from Incus Capital.
- Advising ALTAMONT CAPITAL PARTNERS on acquiring, in Spain, Publicis Healthcare Solutions, the communications division specializing in the pharmaceutical and healthcare field of Publicis Groupe.
- Advising EMESA CORPORACIÓN EMPRESARIAL on buying Empordà Invest and Empordà Golf Club Holding, and 90% of Empordà Golf Club, owners of the Empordà Golf Resort, which includes two golf courses and an 87-room hotel.
Garrigues' London office acts for UK companies, investors and financial institutions that have interests in Spain. It also advises other clients on their UK market matters. Representative work includes M&A, private equity, finance and restructuring. Ignacio Corbera Dale is the main London contact and Joe Tirado is co-head of international arbitration and ADR.
Ignacio Corbera Dale
Other key lawyers:
Pérez-Llorca’s London office partner in charge Fernando Quicios returned to the firm's Madrid office in September 2019, and Álvaro Ramírez de Haro is expected to lead the office for a few years. The group advises on the investments of London-based businesses into Spain, including finance, M&A, restructuring, private equity, energy, real estate, and capital markets, and it particularly stands out for funds work. The office also has London-based Spanish transactional and tax capacity, and assists Spanish investors with their UK matters.
Álvaro Ramírez de Haro
Inspired Education Holdings
Flight Centre Travel Holdings
Scornik Gerstein LLP
Scornik Gerstein LLP's London-based Antonio Arenas López heads the litigation unit, which advises on disputes involving commercial law, employment issues, criminal and family law, immigration, and real estate. López particularly stands out for personal injury litigation.
Antonio Arenas López
Uría Menéndez's London office acts for commercial and investment banks, private equity firms, hedge funds, and UK and international companies, predominantly advising on capital markets, banking law, restructuring, private equity, and international M&A. Other areas of note include real estate, tax and labour law matters, and in recent years the office has also been active in transactions involving ports and shipping. Juan Carlos Machuca and Blanca Arlabán Gabeiras are the key London partners.