M&A: lower mid-market deals, £50m-£500m in London
Addleshaw Goddard handles complex corporate M&A in both the mid-market and high-end spaces, working for blue chip clients including Barclays, Diageo and SSE. The integrated nationwide team affords the firm a strong bench strength, channelled through the London office, where Andrew Rosling heads the M&A team. Rosling is an experienced M&A partner, holding relationships with a number of the firm's key clients, with a particular focus on the retail and consumer goods sectors. Head of the London corporate team, Mike Duggan's expertise lies in the financial services sector, and he manages the firm's relationships with banking clients and financial institutions. Also recommended is Graham Cross, who regularly advises both investors and management teams in connection with all stages of the investment cycle, together with portfolio management issues. The firm hired James Dawson this year, previously of Macfarlanes LLP, who has notable experience working with start-ups in the technology sector.
Other key lawyers:
Mike Duggan; Angus Rollo; Chris Taylor
‘The best firm I’ve worked with. Very commercial and with good partner engagement‘
‘I would recommend the team for their responsiveness and expertise‘
‘I would highlight Charles Penney (Senior Partner) and Graham Cross (Corporate Partner) for their client service and dedication‘
Associated British Foods
British American Tobacco
DBAY Advisors / Harvey Nash
Lloyds Banking Group
Shareholders of Be at One
Wyevale Garden Centres/Terra Firma
- Advised BP on its acquisition of a 43% minority equity stake in solar developer Lightsource Renewable Energy Investments, for $200m.
- Advised DBAY Advisors on its £98.7m takeover of Harvey Nash Group., through a newly incorporated company, the Power of Talent.
- Advised Associated British Foods on the acquisition of the business and assets of Holgran and Fleming Howden from Hovis.
- Advised GVC on its £3bn+ takeover of Ladbrokes Coral.
- Advising on the sale and break-up strategy of the Wyevale Garden Centres business, instigated by shareholder Terra Firma.
DLA Piper uses its multi-jurisdictional platform to advise clients on cross-border transactions in various key sectors. These include TMT, in which practice co-head Jon Kenworthy is especially experienced, and consumer goods, in which fellow co-head Robert Bishop has been notably active. Bishop recently advised Unilever on its acquisition of UK snacking brand Graze from the Carlyle Group. Rob Salter has a focus on corporate real estate transactions, and has worked with FTSE100 clients including DS Smith. Following the departure of private equity specialist Anu Balasubramanian to Paul Hastings LLP, Chris Arnold was promoted to DLA's partnership, while Martin Nelson-Jones was hired from Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP in the infrastructure-related M&A space. The firm also brought on board Tracey Renshaw from Clifford Chance, who has extensive experience in M&A transactions in the oil and gas sector. Charles Severs is an experienced M&A practitioner, especially in cross-border deals for listed public companies.
Robert Bishop; Jon Kenworthy
‘The corporate team is very well organised and staffed by high quality, very motivated staff. They each know what their responsibilities are and are focused on delivery. Equally they stand in for each other when the situation demands it‘
‘Robert Bishop is highly personable, has an acute commercial sense and a deep industry expertise‘
‘Jon Kenworthy is truly outstanding. Exceptionally commercial, he ensures he understands your business and what you want out of the transaction. He focuses on what matters, does not waste time on areas that don’t and never tries to ‘score points’ with the other side. ‘
Mondelez (formerly Kraft Foods)
General Electric Company (“GE”)
London Stock Exchange Group
Merlin Entertainments plc
- Represented management on the sale of Helly Hansen Group by Teachers’ Private Capital to Canadian Tire Corporation for approximately CAD $985m and the assumption of approximately CAD $50m of operating debt, net of cash.
- Advised John Swire & Son and Argent Energy on the acquisition of Biodiesel Amsterdam (BDA), Tankstorage Amsterdam (TSA) and Tank & Truck Cleaning Amsterdam (CSA).
- Advised Learning Technologies Group on its acquisition of Peoplefluent Holdings Corporation.
- Advised DS Smith on the sale of its plastics division to private equity firm Olympus Partners for approximately £450m
- Advised Ecolab on its £140m recommended cash takeover of the bio-decontamination technology company, Bioquell.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP advises national and international clients on cross-border M&A transactions, acting for corporates, financial institutions and private equity firms. The firm's global reach facilitates this multi-jurisdictional approach, with the London office operating as a hub for advising clients. Key sectors for the firm include energy and infrastructure, industrials, real estate, TMT and financial services. Head of department Richard Moulton is especially experienced in the latter two, in addition to acting for private equity clients. Although the firm saw Sebastian Orton leave for Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP, the team was bolstered by the hire of Stewart Womersley from Addleshaw Goddard, a specialist in real estate transactions, covering both indirect real estate and real estate funds. Co-chair of cross-border M&A, Roger Johnson, is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Robin Johnson; Nigel Cooke
‘A strong presence in the renewables space‘
‘Robin Johnson is very highly respected in the market‘
CGN Europe Energy
Intermediate Capital Group
Inflexion Private Equity
Legal & General
- Advised Aviva Investors on the disposal of its real estate multi-manager (REMM) business to LaSalle Investment Management, for an undisclosed sum.
- Advised healthcare products manufacturer Owens & Minor on the $710m acquisition of the Surgical and infectious Products unit from Halyward Health Inc.
- Advised Shell on the $329m sale of Shell Exploration and production Oman to IOCL Singapore PTE, an Indian Oil Corporation subsidiary.
- Advised shareholders of John Guest Holdings’ on the company’s sale to Reliance Worldwide Corporation for £687m.
- Advised SembCorp Industries on the acquisition of UK Power Reserve (UKPR) from Equistone Partners Europe, Inflexion Private Equity and UKPR management, for £216m.
Pinsent Masons LLP has a broad international M&A practice, focused predominantly on cross-border deals within the energy and infrastructure, manufacturing and technology, healthcare, retail, financial services and real estate sectors. Across these sectors, the firm has handled complex mandates, facilitated through a strong international presence, in addition to US lawyer expertise, especially in the capital markets and securities areas. As part of this push into US law, the firm recently recruited Roberta Markovina from Herbert Smith Freehills LLP, an expert in the US securities space. The firm also hired Madhu Jain from Linklaters LLP, who is highly experienced in the insurance sector, and has a strong track record acting for clients in transactions by way of both share and portfolio transfer. The department is headed by John Tyerman, who divides his time between the London and Birmingham offices.
Other key lawyers:
Jon Harris; Rob Hutchings; Andrew Masraf; Chrissy Findlay
‘The team’s key strength is that I know what I’m getting – a highly skilled, knowledgeable, effective and supportive legal team I can rely on‘
‘Pinsent Masons’ partners and associates are consistently constructive, calm, supportive and reassuring. They are knowledgeable, focused, well trained and hard-working‘
‘Three individuals who I would highly note are Nicole Livesey and Gareth Jones supported by the excellent associate, Sophie Thornton‘
Cannaccord Genuity Limited
M Group Services / James Winnicott and James Arnold
Elevation Capital Partners
Houlihan Lokey (Europe) Limited
- Advised Zurich on the sale of its UK workplace pension and savings business to Lloyds Banking Group.
- Advised CommScope on its proposed $7.4bn acquisition of ARRIS International.
- Represented Fenner in its acquisition by Michelin, valuing the client’s shares at ca. £1.2bn on a fully diluted basis.
- Advised investment platform provider AJ Bell on its IPO and admission to the London Stock Exchange’s main market, at £651m.
- Acted for the senior management team of Ammeraal Beltech on its sale by Advent International to Partners Group.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons handles corporate transactional and advisory work for financial institutions and asset management clients, as well as corporates in the TMT, healthcare and life sciences sectors. The firm has also developed a Brexit specialism in relation to M&A activity, and has offered the UK Government transactional advice. A further area of interest has been shareholder activism, where Simmons has worked with clients including Elliott Advisors on structuring transactions and guidance on methods of both public and private engagement with directors and shareholders of listed companies. Examples include the firm's advice to Elliott Advisors in relation to its holding in Sky and the two competing offers by 21st Century Fox and Comcast, as well as the implications of the merger between 21 Century Fox and Walt Disney. The firm operates from both London and Bristol, with Giles Dennison heading the practice in the City.
Other key lawyers:
Gideon Sharp; Patrick Graves
‘Gideon Sharp has a very strong team of associates around him, in particular Tom Fricke who is clearly on the rise and is one of the best young lawyers I’ve worked with‘
‘Gideon Sharp is exceptional at providing clarity to complex legal issues. He remains calm under pressure and takes the time to understand our business and our drivers for a particular transaction‘
Biscuit Group International
GoCompare.com Group plc
Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation
- Advised Biscuit Group International on the acquisition of Northumbrian Fine Foods from CriSeren Foods and other shareholders.
- Advised GoCompare in connection with the acquisition of MyvoucherCodes and EnergyLinx, for £36.5m and £10m respectively.
- Represented Orlebar Brown in its acquisition by Chanel for an undisclosed amount.
- Advised Future on its $13.8m acquisition of Newbay Media, the £14m acquisition of four specialist consumer titles from Haymarket Media Group and the £105.7m acquisition of the consumer division of Purch.
- Acted for Dentsu on its acquisition of a 10% stake in UK-based Perform Group, which operates sports streaming portal DAZN.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
Following its transatlantic merger in April 2018, Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP's dual strength in the UK and US is demonstrable across an array of sectors, and has facilitated an increase in complex, cross-border work handled by the firm. Especially noted is the corporate finance practice's work in the healthcare, insurance, mining & minerals and real estate sectors, with the latter generating the firm a role for The Grange on the sale of four hotels in London for approximately £1bn. The M&A and corporate finance practice is co-led in London by Benjamin Lee and legacy Bryan Cave partner Carol Osborne . The firm has been making a push to grow its corporate team post merger, bringing in Simon Beddow from Ashurst as deputy global managing partner of corporate as part of this aim. Beddow, who specialises in private company M&A and private equity transactions, previously headed Ashurst's London office.
Benjamin Lee; Carol Osborne
Other key lawyers:
‘BCLP takes the lead and provides extremely valuable advice and guidance during complex negotiations, progressing matters through deadlocks with a pragmatic and commercial approach.‘
‘Ben Lee stands out as an extremely talented individual who has a key role in complex transactions and a very pragmatic and commercial approach to issues. He is able to “take a view” and provides realistic feedback and guidance to the client‘
‘Victoria Watt has outstanding project management skills and shows great promise‘
Secure Income REIT
- Acted for Playtech on its €846m acquisition of 70.6% of the issued share capital of Snaitech S.p.A
- Advised Cheyne Capital on the disposal of two logistics and industrial investment platforms, for £257.7m and £22.9m respectively.
- Advised on the £35m sale of Star Computers, a payroll software business, to IRIS Software Group, backed by Hg Capital.
- Advised XLMedia on its purchase of UK online bingo comparison platform WhichBingo.
- Advised Secure Income REIT on the acquisition of two substantial portfolios of assets at a total cost of £436m, including a leisure portfolio and a hotels portfolio.
McDermott Will & Emery UK LLP handles a broad spectrum of corporate transactions, invariably of a cross-border nature. Work is driven through the London and US offices primarily, with the firm's Italian, German and French offices also involved in cross-border mandates. The team has a notably strong reputation in the life sciences and healthcare sectors, and acts for a number of high-profile clients in these areas, as well as in the energy and consumer goods sectors. Practice head Nick Azis advises clients on public and private M&A, in addition to corporate finance and joint ventures, with a particular nod to overseas markets in Africa. One commercially significant mandate saw the firm advise Praxair on its €5bn disposal of the majority of Europe-based businesses to Taiyo Nippon Sanso; the deal was necessary from an antitrust and regulatory perspective to secure Praxair's merger with German industrial gases company Linde.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent lawyers with a good understanding of clients’ needs, in particular those in continental Europe.‘
‘Good service at the interface between corporate/M&A and complex commercial arrangements‘
‘Michael Holter is an excellent, terrific lawyer, always with a pragmatic approach – a good negotiator‘
Intersnack Group / KP Snacks
- Advised Praxair in relation to the €5bn sale of the majority of its European business to Japanese company Taiyo Nippon Sanso.
- Represented Alsco in its £95m acquisition of Clean Linen Services from MML Capital Partners.
- Advised Mondi Group on its acquisition of a €365m share in Powerflute Group Holdings Oy from Nordic Packaging and Container Holdings, a portfolio company of US-based private equity firm Madison Dearborn Partners.
- Represented Krüger Group in acquiring sports nutrition brands MaxiNutrition and MaxiMuscle from GlaxoSmithKline, for an undisclosed amount.
- Represented Praxair in its €3.3bn divestment of North and South American assets to Messer and CVC Capital Fund Partners.
Osborne Clarke LLP
Osborne Clarke LLP's national and international M&A practice caters for local clients from its heritage Bristol office as well as national and international clients. The firm has developed sector expertise in fintech, digital publishing, energy and commerce, with the team active in M&A transactions within these spaces over the past twelve months. Furthermore, in the technology sector, the firm has acted for start-ups and fast growth clients in matters involving bitcoin exchanges and spread betting indices, as well as retail and AI investments. The department is co-headed by Greg Leyshon, head of UK business transactions, and Simon Smith, head of the corporate M&A practice in London. The firm also made a hire in Matthew Edwards, who was previously GC at a life sciences venture capital fund, and brings substantial expertise in this sector.
Simon Smith; Grey Leyshon
Other key lawyers:
Mark Spinner; Mathias Loertscher
‘Very nimble, subject matter experts who offer creative solutions to complex structuring problems. They offer both speed of turnaround and value for money‘
‘Straightforward and smart‘
New Voice Media
Talk Talk Telecom Group plc
- Advised Maple Syrup Group (the owners of Quidco and Shoop) and its key shareholders on sale to CB Group Holdings , a newly formed subsidiary of Top Online Partners Group .
- Represented senior management of the NEC Group on the £825m sale of their shareholding and reinvestment into the purchasing vehicle sponsored by Blackstone
- Advised NewVoiceMedia on its $350m acquisition by Vonage Holdings
- Advised shareholders of Dutch digital production company MediaMonks Multimedia Holding on its £300m sale to S4 Capital Limited, by way of a controlled auction process.
- Acted for Beavertown Brewery and founding shareholders in relation to strategic investment into the company by Heineken UK Limited.
Reed Smith LLP
The corporate M&A team at Reed Smith LLP undertakes both domestic and cross-border mandates, across the public and private markets. The London team regularly works in conjunction with the US, European, Asian and Middle East offices on multi-jurisdictional work, with matters frequently coordinated from London. The M&A practice, which is headed by Delphine Curry, works closely with the firm's private equity practice across key sectors, including media and entertainment, energy and natural resources, financial services and life sciences, among others. The 'exceptional' Philip Taylor advises public listed and private companies, financial institutions and state owned entities on M&A activities, with a strong track record in complex cross-border work.
Other key lawyers:
Philip Taylor; Mike Young
‘Reed Smith offers a perfect combination of US and UK advice. The local team is fully integrated with their New York colleagues so you always feel US issues are properly covered‘
‘Excellent value for money – first class advice delivered at rates that were not extortionate‘
‘Philip Taylor is exceptional – he’s fast, commercially minded and understands the business and client requirements in addition to the legal requirements‘
Squire Patton Boggs offers a national corporate M&A practice, with its London team part of an offering that also includes Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham. This allows effective handling of complex domestic mandates, while the firm's extensive international network means that multi-jurisdictional work is equally well facilitated. Cross border work is on the increase, with the firm taking on outbound investment work, often with a private equity angle. Key sectors include media, energy and utilities, recruitment, sport, healthcare and financial services. Robert Bray heads the corporate practice as well as the financial services team. The firm's international scope was further strengthened with the hire of Nimi Patel from Herbert Smith Freehills LLP, whose role is to help develop the India practice in the London office.
Other key lawyers:
Trevor Ingle; James McKay; Nick Allen
‘A very impressive and responsive team focused on the real commercial issues and how to get a deal across the line‘
‘Practical, pragmatic, highly commercial and responsive‘
‘Paul Mann is a very impressive lawyer, approachable and personable‘
‘We would recommend Nick Allen, Trevor Ingle, Patrick Ford and associate Will Buchanan‘
Grafton Group Plc
Live Nation Entertainment
Coats Group Plc
EDF Energy Renewables
Low & Bonar Plc
Polypipe Group Plc
- Represented EDF Energy Renewables in the disposal through competitive auction process of a 49% stake in the business, for £701m.
- Advised Lucite International on the sale of its European acrylic sheet and composites business and the entire issued share capital of Perspex Distribution Ltd to Schweiter Technologies, for £92m.
- Acted for the shareholders of PEI Media Group on the sale of the entire issued share capital of PEI Media Topco to Bridgepoint Development Capital.
- Advised Tony Xia on the sale of shares in Aston Villa Football Club to investors Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens.
- Acted for the employee shareholders of QM Advisory Limited, parent company of Quayle Munro Limited, on the sale of the entire issued share capital of Quayle Munro to Houlihan Lokey.
Stephenson Harwood's corporate M&A team is noted for its capability to advise clients across a range of sectors. These include healthcare and life sciences, corporate real estate, in which the firm has advised US and European clients, and insurance and financial services, in which the team has acted for continental European clients. The firm uses its network of international offices in conjunction with cross-border alliances to facilitate multi-jurisdictional work, spearheaded by lawyers' expertise in those markets. Practice head Duncan Stiles is recommended for his experience working with US clients, while Andrew Edge heads the corporate department, and is experienced across the whole range of corporate transactions, including public and private M&A and equity fundraisings. The firm re-hired former partner Marc Hammerson from Akin Gump LLP . Hammerson primarily handles M&A transactions in the energy and infrastructure sector.
Other key lawyers:
Andrew Edge; Tony Edwards; Andrew McLean; Karima Hudson
‘Stephenson Harwood provides the intimate and friendly service you would normally associate with a smaller firm. This is ideal from a client perspective as you receive a highly skilled approach complimented by a very personal and tailored style to transactions.’
‘Strong firm with excellent knowledge, ability and experience‘
‘Professional, pragmatic , very responsive and always able to help.’
‘Karima Hudson is a pleasure to deal with. Lawyers sometimes confuse their legal obligations at the expense of the deal – Karima is very deal aware and commercially savvy. ‘
‘Jonathan Pittal offers extensive experience, well-honed commercial skills, a highly pragmatic approach covering all bases, highly creative – and a very effective deal-doer who knows how to find a solution in difficult circumstances’
PE – ‘A very strong team led by Jonathan Pittal. Outstanding lawyers with strong commercial and technical skills, a deep understanding of the M&A market and key legal issues, and an ability to work under pressure to very tight deadines‘
NMC Health PLC
Piramal Enterprises Group
Five Arrows Principal Investments
Bowmark Capital LLP
Inspired Education Holdings Limited
LaSalle Investment Management
GRIT Real Estate Income Group
The Ardonagh Group
Covanta Holding Corporation
Blue Gem Capital Partners
Salutem Healthcare Limited
3 Step IT
Anglia Maltings Group
Welsh Power Group
Duff & Phelps LLC
- Provided specialist advice to LaSalle Investment Management, as investment manager for the Korean National Pension Service, on its acquisition and leaseback of Goldman Sachs’ new European Headquarters in London.
- Advised real estate investment fund Tristan Capital on the sale of the Luxembourg-based company which owns Birmingham landmark building The CUBE.
- Advised UAE-based private healthcare providers NMC Health on its acquisition of Aspen healthcare, a UK-based healthcare company, from Tenet Healthcare Corporation for ca. £10m
- Advised Covanta Holding Corporation on the acquisition of joint control over Earls Gate Energy Centre Limited by the client, Green Investment Group Limited (a division of Macquarie Group) and Brockwell Energy Limited.
- Acted for Piramal Enterprises Limited on the sale of Piramal Imagine to Alliance Medical Group, part of the Life Healthcare Group.
Taylor Wessing LLP's corporate M&A team combines the firm's private equity, corporate finance and corporate technology practice, working with large international clients on the full range of corporate work. Over the past twelve months, this has included public and private mergers, acquisitions and disposals, leveraged buyouts and public-to-private transactions. The corporate technology practice focuses exclusively on transactions within the TMT sector, and the London office works closely with international offices in tech hubs on these cross-border matters, including Silicon Valley, Paris and Singapore. Also of note is the firm's activity in the hotels and leisure sector, which has seen significant year-on-year growth. David Mardle co-heads the international corporate group, as well as leading the UK corporate practice from the Cambridge office, and predominantly focuses on M&A transactions in the technology and life sciences sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Mike Turner; Emma Danks
‘Standout firm for tech-related transactions.’
Tritax Big Box REIT plc
Mina (Holdings) Limited
- Advised UK start-up Grapeshot on the sale of its entire issued share capital to Oracle Corporation.
- Advised Berlin-based games developer Wooga on its sale to Israeli mobile phone company Playtika.
- Represented Apotex International on the sale of six of its European subsidiaries across five jurisdictions to Agile Pharma, for £74m.
- Advised MML on its joint venture with Macquarie to acquire parking management business, ParkingEye, from Capita for £235m
- Acted for Interactive Investor Limited on the purchase of Alliance Trust Savings from Alliance Trust PLC, for £40m
Bird & Bird LLP predominantly acts for technology clients on corporate M&A matters, with a number of supporting panel appointments for clients in the TMT sector. In tandem with this, the team has acted for a number of start ups and fast growth clients with venture capital investment and early-stage M&A. The team is headed by Matt Bonass, who has particular experience in both public and private M&A in the energy and sports sectors, as well as negotiating joint venture agreements. Associate Richard Bloomfield focuses on technology, communications and energy, and is experienced in cross-border M&A. The firm hired James Baillieu from Norton Rose Fulbright, who brings life sciences sector expertise in addition to clients within the pharmaceuticals sector.
Other key lawyers:
Neil Blundell; Simon Fielder; Richard Bloomfield
‘Great coverage of all practice areas, heavy partner involvement‘
‘They are responsive, attentive to the details, pleasant to deal with and commercial‘
Nokia Solutions and Networks
Kew Media Corp Inc.
- Advised F-Secure on its acquisition of MWR InfoSecurity, a privately held cyber security company, for $105m.
- Advised Precision Medicine Group on its $42m acquisition of Argint International, a European clinical research organisation located in Hungary, Poland, Romania, Serbia and Slovakia.
- Advised Cobham in connection with the sale of its wholly owned subsidiary, Chelton Limited, its ‘Opera’ simulation software business.
- Advised LKAB Minerals on the acquisition of two businesses owned by Francis Flower, namely Francis Flower (Northern) and Gurney Slade Lime & Stone.
- Advised management at Anglo-Canadian insurance broker Beach & Associates in its $130m acquisition by Acrisure LLC.
The corporate M&A team at Fieldfisher has been focusing more on key target industries recently, in line with the firm's wider strategy. Focus sectors now include technology, media and telecoms and energy and natural resources. In the technology space, the team has advised both UK and US clients on inbound and outbound investments, including Silicon Valley-based companies. In the energy sector, the team works predominantly with AIM-listed clients on fundraising and strategic transactions, including emerging markets clients. Andrew Blankfield heads the team in the London office, which also works with the firm's Birmingham and Manchester offices on transactions. These regional teams are led by Chris Hill and David Bowcock, a recent arrival from Brabners LLP, respectively. In addition to Bowcock in Manchester, the firm hired Brian Chadwick from Cooley (UK) LLP and Matthew Williams from Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe (Europe) LLP in London. Chadwick is a dual qualified UK/US lawyer with a strong focus on the technology market, underlying the firm's drive in this sector. Williams has extensive experience advising energy and infrastructure clients on commercial transactions, with a particular focus on renewable and conventional power facilities.
Other key lawyers:
David Wilkinson; Brian Chadwick; Matthew Wiliams
‘Fast, responsive and very knowledgeable‘
‘Fieldfisher work as a cohesive team, seamlessly going through the problems on a deal and presenting a single, unified solution.‘
‘David Wilkinson is unparalleled in the market’
BBC Worldwide / BBC Studios / BBC
Coöperatieve KMG EP U.A
- Advised California-headquartered digital promotions company Quotient Technology Inc on its $26.45m acquisition of UK start-up Elevaate.
- Advised Restore Plc on its £88m acquisition of of TNT’s UK document storage business, funded through a £51.5m placing and £160m refinancing.
- Advised an international joint venture on the acquisition of GHG London Realty, the owner of the Curtain Club in London.
- Acted for PA Consulting on its dual acquisition of Sparkler, a digital insight and strategy consultancy, and We Are Friday Limited, a digital service design and engineering agency.
- Represented nominated adviser Smith & Williamson and joint brokers Mirabaud Securities and Stifel on the acquisition of US oil & gas assets by Diversified Gas & Oil plc
Mishcon de Reya LLP acts for both public and private companies, as well as institutional investors and family offices - a product of the firm's well-regarded private client practice. The team has been taking on more international mandates, particularly in the technology sector, which has been a strong area of growth over the past year. A decrease in client confidence and inbound investment into the UK has signalled some slowdown in real estate M&A work, although this area continues to be strong. Hospitality has been largely unaffected, and continues to provide work and new clients, including Minor International. Practice head Nick Davis has a broad client base but is best known for his work in the recruitment services sector.
Other key lawyers:
Ross Bryson; Jonathan Berman
‘The Mishcon de Reya team works very hard, stays calm under pressure and delivers the goods with exceptional knowledge and skill‘
‘Nick Davis understands the recruitment industry better than any other lawyer I have ever met in the UK and beyond. He also surrounds himself with talent willing to learn and to grow‘
‘Nick understands that clients wants a strong deal that won’t come back to bite at any stage‘
‘Ross Bryson is a strong operator who is great with numbers, he is an excellent lawyer‘
‘Jonathan Berman is passionate about looking after his clients.’
Sompo Japan Nipponkoa Insurance Inc.
Brookfield Strategic Real Estate Partners (StudentRoost)
Capital & Counties Properties
Stonehill Holdings UK
Fusion Global Investments
UK Power Reserve
Alony Hetz Properties & Investments
Founders of Allen Lane
Owners of Soho Gyms Group
- Advised Sompo Japan Nipponkoa Insurance on the $952m sale of its UK insurance subsidiary Canopius to private equity firm Centerbridge Partners.
- Advised Stonehill Holdings on the joint venture for the development of a non-campus student residence in Hungary, with a gross development value of €250m.
- Advised shareholders in recruitment consultancy firm Allen Lane on its sale to Japanese-headquartered Outsourcing, for a confidential sum.
- Advised new client Minor International, a hospitality, restaurant and lifestyle company, on the purchase of a 75% stake in Benihana Holding for £20m.
- Advised real estate investment holding company Alony Hetz Properties and Investments on the acquisition of Brockton Capital and the establishment of a new real estate investment company, Brockton Everlast.
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius UK LLP focuses on the life sciences, technology and energy sectors, regulatory acting for such clients from the emerging markets as well as the UK. Despite a slowdown of Chinese investment into the emerging markets, the volume of transactions in the energy and natural resources sector has remained high; with the London office collaborating with colleagues in Kazakhstan and Europe on emerging markets work. In the life sciences and technology sectors, the firm advises both blue-chip clients and early-stage growth companies on strategic transactions and divestments. This is aided through a strong US presence, facilitating transatlantic M&A work. Practice head Thomas Cartwright is active across the firm's focus sectors, working closely with private equity firms, sovereign wealth funds and family offices. The firm made a number of hires from Herbert Smith Freehills LLP to further boost its international scope, adding a partner trio, including private equity specialist Mark Geday and Tom Wozniak, who is experienced in Russian corporate matters.
Other key lawyers:
Tim Corbett; Nick Moore
WE Soda Limited
OM Asset Management
- Represented Digital Colony on the dual acquisition of Stratto Limited and Opencell.
- Represented Yandex in a transaction with Russian commercial bank Sberbank to form an e-commerce joint venture.
- Advised Silversea Cruises on the sale of 66.67% of the business to Royal Caribbean Cruises.
- Represented events and business-to-business media and marketing company Pennwell on its sale to Clarion Events, a portfolio holding of Blackstone.
- Advised CarGurus in its acquisition of motoring website PistonHeads, for an undisclosed sum.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe (Europe) LLP's corporate M&A practice handles work across a broad range of sectors. In particular, the team has been active in the technology and media sectors, in the UK, US and continental Europe; where it collaborates closely with Paris. In addition to working with the firm's US offices the London M&A team, headed by Shawn Atkinson, also has US qualified lawyers. Recommended lawyers include Jinal Shah, whose corporate M&A and private equity practice spans the energy and infrastructure, technology and financial services sectors. The 'oustanding' Yolanda Yong, a senior associate in the team, advises on predominantly cross-border transactions, with a strong focus on energy and infrastructure matters. There has been some movement in the team, with a couple of departures offset by recent arrivals such as Daniel Wayte and James Connor, from Milbank and Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP respectively, who have experience in M&A for client including buyout houses.
‘The team offers exceptional insight into mid-market deals and have consistently delivered high-quality advice cost-efficiently‘
‘First in class legal team with very experienced lawyers‘
‘Deep experience in the European venture ecosystem with very high quality staff.’
‘Shawn is very affable, friendly and steely. I’m glad he is in our corner and is everything I’d look for in a partner for this type of work‘
‘Jinal Shah is a great corporate lawyer, who provides high standards of work and good availability‘
‘Yolanda Yong defines what it is to be an outstanding M&A corporate & commercial lawyer. Her understanding, availability and quality is top notch and I haven’t found anyone else with this level of professionalism and knowledge.’
Barking Dog Ventures
Bioenergy Infrastructure Limited
CDC Group plc
HQ Mobile Limited
TerVia Invest Verwaltungs GmbH
- Advised Germany-based tech provider GFT Technologies SE on its entry into the Canadian insurance market via its acquisition of V-NEO Inc.
- Acted for pet nutrition service Tails.com in its sale of a minority interest to Nestlé Purina PetCare
- Advised Precitox Holdings, Oratosio Holdings and Humberto Finance as sellers of 100% of the share capital of H.E.C. Europe Limited to Aegean Marine Petroleum Network, for $367m.
- Advised Soya Concept, the Danish fashion manufacturer and retailer, on its acquisition of Shoe the Bear, a Danish footwear company.
- Represented Infracapital Greenfield Partners in a joint venture with Deutsche Asset Management to fund the rolling stock and associated infrastructure for the West Midlands rail franchise won by Abellio, to a value of ca. £700m.
Watson Farley & Williams LLP
Watson Farley & Williams LLP is well known for domestic and cross-border M&A within the infrastructure and energy and natural resources sectors. Corporate M&A mandates predominantly involve substantial energy and mineral assets, with recent examples of work including offshore wind farms and gold mines. In addition to acting for corporate clients, the team has also advised financial investors and private equity houses. Head of the London corporate group, Chris Kilburn's practice has a primary focus on the natural resources, energy and transport sectors, with deals encompassing strategic acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate finance and private equity fundraising. He is also proficient in matters with an international scope, having spent a number of years leading the corporate team in the firm's Singapore office. Strengthening its position in the energy sector and proficiency in emerging market transactions, the firm hired Titus Edjua, formerly director of Clifford Chance LLP's Africa group, and a specialist in the energy and infrastructure sector.
Other key lawyers:
Mark Tooke; Christina Howard; Jan Mellmann
‘Watson Farley & Williams provided a hands-on, proactive service at a reasonable cost. They rendered their advice with substantial degree of experienced partner time which regularly led to a faster and better outcome than a higher leverage would‘
Mariana Resources Limited
Ørsted (formerly DONG Energy)
Lightsource Renewable Energy
Aban Singapore Pte. Ltd
- Advised Rheinmetall on its joint venture agreement with BAE Systems to create a joint UK-based military vehicle design, manufacturing and support business.
- Advised Norwegian state-owned renewable power company Statkraft on its divestment of stakes in two offshore wind farms, for a combined value of £1.11bn.
- Advised Chaarat Gold on the acquisition by one of its wholly-owned subsidiaries, Chaarat Gold International , of Kapan Mining and Processing CJSC in the Republic of Armenia.
- Advised Fraser on its acquisition of the corporate entity holding Farnborough Business Park for £174.6m.
- Advised Star Bulk Carriers Corporation on the acquisition of a group of companies, owning 16 vessels, from Augustea Atlantic and York Capital Management in an all-share transaction, for. $430m.
Baker Botts (UK) LLP
Baker Botts (UK) LLP is renowned for its energy and natural resources experience, and predominantly handles corporate M&A work in this field. These invariably consist of cross-border mandates, with a particular focus on transatlantic deal flow, using the firm's strong presence in the US in collaboration with the London office. In addition to its strength in energy, the team's capabilities in the technology, life sciences and financial services sectors have been enhanced through the hire of David Ramm from Morgan, Lewis & Bockius UK LLP. The firm also hired Richard Brown from Latham & Watkins, who has a strong track record advising investment banks and sovereign wealth funds on cross-border M&A. The practice is headed by Derek Jones, who has been instructed on high-profile mandates in the energy and natural resources and TMT sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Neil Foster; David Ramm
‘A very joined up cross-border US/UK team. Efficient and technically able as and commercially sound‘
‘A ‘can do’ attitude and an air of calm efficiency prevails‘
‘The team’s ability to pivot between lower value mid-market deals to very large deals is impressive. What is unique is the depth of corporate knowledge and their approach to partnering with clients almost as if they are an extension of the client’s own internal legal team‘
‘Derek Jones combines technical excellence with vast deal experience to formulate the most pragmatic and commercially relevant solutions to the most complex legal issues. His talent for deal structuring is standout‘
- Rerpesented US-based EQT Production and EQT Gathering in the $575m sale of 11,000 natural gas wells and 6,000 miles of natural gas pipeline to Diversified Oil & Gas.
Burges Salmon LLP has a strong footing in the domestic M&A market, advising clients from both its London and heritage Bristol office. Increasingly, the firm is also acting on international mandates for established clients, using its network of preferred firms to facilitate. Notable sector specialisms include food and drink, energy, particularly nuclear and renewables, and hotels and leisure, in which clients are predominantly from the south west. Richard Spink heads the firm's corporate finance group, and focuses on corporate transactions and reorganisations, with a particular emphasis on private equity clients.
Other key lawyers:
Rupert Weston; Nick Graves
‘Very practical and helpful guidance‘
‘Excellent professional advice and extremely trustworthy’
‘Richard Spink and Tim Roberts were first class to work with – highly trustworthy, very reliable, always quick to respond and explain everything clearly and concisely.’
The AA Group
John Lewis Partnership
Hamilton Hotel Partners
University of Oxford
Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy/UKRI
Jardine Lloyd Thompson
- Advised the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy on the transfer of £3.5bn assets from separate research organisations into the the newly incorporated United Kingdom Research and Innovation.
- Advised the incumbent management team of Supplier Assessment Services Limited on the Warburg Pincus-backed buyout of the company from Capita for £160m.
- Advised SCISYS Plc on a corporate restructuring by way of a scheme of arrangement, to introduce a new Irish-incorporated parent company.
- Acted for Houston-based energy manufacturing and logistics company Phillips 66 on its acquisition of NJB Services Limited, a UK company with a portfolio of fuel filling stations across England.
- Advised Yeo Valley on the disposal of Yeo Valley Dairies Limited to Arla Foods Limited.
Cooley (UK) LLP is best known for its technology and life sciences sector expertise, and handles corporate M&A for clients within these areas. Much of the work is private M&A for large TMT and pharmaceuticals corporations, with the firm utilising its strong US presence in transatlantic mandates. Justin Stock is managing partner of the London office, and is most active in M&A, corporate finance and private equity matters.
Covington & Burling LLP
Covington & Burling LLP handles multi-jurisdictional transactions for clients across an array of sectors, with particular focuses on life sciences and pharmaceuticals. In addition, the firm regularly acts for clients within the media and communications and luxury brands industries, for example Breitling. Due to the nature of the sector-specific work, the team often work alongside the intellectual property practice, as well as colleagues in the US. Gregor Frizzell leads the EMEA M&A practice from the London office, and has a strong track record acting for major clients in the pharmaceuticals and life sciences sectors, including AstraZeneca. The 'outstanding' Louise Nash is highly rated for her cross-border capabilities, particularly in the life sciences and luxury goods sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Paul Claydon; Louise Nash
‘Covington is a rare one-stop-shop with stellar expertise in all areas, coupled with impeccable service levels‘
‘Strong subject matter expertise in life sciences transactions, extremely responsive, pragmatic, sensible and innovative where necessary‘
‘Louise Nash is an outstanding M&A lawyer with a depth of expertise and a pleasant work attitude.She makes deals enjoyable for those on both sides of the table‘
Elanco Animal Health
GammaDelta Therapeutics Limited
Merck & Co., Inc.
Mexichem, S.A.B. de C.V.
- Advised University of Bristol spin-out Ziylo on its sale to Novo Nordisk, for up to $800m.
- Advised AstraZeneca in connection with the sale of the rights to Seroquel and Seroquel XR in the UK, China and certain other international markets to Luye Pharma Group, for $538m.
- Represented Vernalis on its acquisition by US-based Ligand Pharmaceuticals for approximately £32.8m.
- Acted for GammaDelta Therapeutics on its acquisition of Lymphact -Lymphocyte Activation Technologies to enrich the client’s platform.
- Advised BenevolentAI, a leading AI company in the life sciences sector, on the acquisition of Cambridge (UK)-based Proximagen Limited from ACOVA
Gowling WLG's corporate M&A practice handles national and international transactions through partners with deep sector expertise. Key sectors of note are real estate, life sciences, healthcare, energy and manufacturing, with each sector spearheaded by individual partners. The overall corporate team is led by Sunil Kakkad . Given the firm was formed through the merger between legacy Canadian firm Gowlings and UK firm Wragge Lawrence Graham, many mandates are cross border, with the firm developing its mid-market client base on both sides of the Atlantic.
Other key lawyers:
David Brennan; Gareth Baker; Ian Piggin
‘Gareth Baker thinks like a client. He is quick and responsive‘
Rant and Rave Limited
Synlab International GmbH
Entanet Holdings Ltd.
Star Capital Partners
Brockwell Energy Limited
Mobeus Equity Partners LLP
Highland Gold Mining
Circle Holdings plc
Active Assistance (UK) Group
The Montreux Healthcare Fund plc
- Advised shareholders of UK-based technology business Rant & Rave on its £50m sale to US-based Upland Software.
- Represented Sella Open Fintech Platforms on its recommended cash takeover offer for Vipera Plc, at a valuation of £24m.
- Represented Brockwell Energy in its £23m management buyout, backed by Pioneer Point Partners and Davidson Kempner European Partners.
- Advised the shareholders of KWS BioTest on the sale of the entire issued share capital to Charles River Laboratories International, for ca. £15m
- Advised Bushveld Minerals Limited on the conditional purchase of the remaining 55% issued share capital of Bushveld Vametco that it did not own from Yellow Dragon Holdings, for $12.3m.
HFW's key recognised sector strengths are transport, energy and infrastructure, and insurance, within which the firm handles corporate M&A transactions. Work carried out by the London team invariably carries cross-border considerations, and the team is able to call on colleagues in Singapore, Paris, Dubai, Hong Kong and Sydney, in particular. Furthermore, the firm recently opened an office in Abu Dhabi and formed alliances with an energy firm in the US and Brazil-based CAL, adding further strength to its cross-border offering. The London team is led by Nick Hutton, while the ports and terminals and infrastructure teams are headed by Alistair Mackie, who retains an important role in the firm's M&A capabilities.
Other key lawyers:
International Container Services Inc (ICTSI)
Regal Petroleum plc
WH Ireland Group plc
Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund
Markerstudy Holdings Ltd
- Represented Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund on the €535m sale of a 66% majority holding in Greek natural gas transmission system operator DESFA.
- Advised Markerstudy as part of an auction process to acquire the Co-Operative Group Limited’s carrier, CIS General Insurance Limited, for a successful bid of ca. £185m.
- Advised management sellers of The Underwriting Exchange on their management buyout sale to private equity firm Pollen Street Capital.
- Advised Livingbridge on its acquisition via a management buyout of insurance broker Coversure Insurance Services.
K&L Gates LLP
The corporate M&A team of K&L Gates LLP handles work generated from both London and heritage US offices, with cross-border mandates an inherent part of the team's focus. This also extends across Europe, the Middle East and Asia, particularly in the infrastructure, energy and natural resources and financial services sectors. Head of the corporate department Paul Tetlow acts for clients from many industry sectors on matters including disposals and public company takeovers. Signalling HFW's intention to boost its private equity offering, James Cross was hired from Reed Smith LLP . Cross specialises in advising private equity sponsors on corporate M&A, in addition to acting for management teams.
Other key lawyers:
Tom Wallace; James Cross
Federated Investors, Inc.
Hudson Clean Energy Partners LP
Warsaw Stock Exchange
First Data Corporation
Syneos Health, Inc.
NEP Group, Inc.
Action Hotels plc
- Advised Federated Investors on its £259.9m acquisition of a 60% interest in Hermes Fund Managers Limited from BT Pension Scheme.
- Acted for Hudson Clean Energy Partners on the €50m disposal of its investee company Element Power Ireland to Statkraft, a hydropower company owned by the Norwegian state.
- Advised the Warsaw Stock Exchange on the sale on its interest in Aquis Exchange, an independent pan-European equities exchange operator, for £73m.
- Represented commerce-enabling technology company First Data Corporation on the €375m sale of its card processing business in Central, Eastern and Southern Europe to SIA.
- Advised pharmaceutical and life sciences business Syneos Health on its acquisition of Kinapse Limited from private equity firm HgCapital, for $160m.
RPC's corporate team primarily acts across three key sectors: retail, insurance and technology. In the insurance sector, the firm has seen notable growth in private equity-driven deals, and the growth of the corporate practice has mirrored that of the private equity practice. With four offices across Asia and the UK, the London team closely collaborates on domestic mandates with the Bristol team, as well as working in conjunction with the Hong Kong and Singapore offices, particularly in technology sector M&A. In addition, the firm offers a dedicated due diligence team focusing on corporate transactions. Corporate head Karen Hendy has expertise in private M&A, joint ventures and listed company work, in addition to handling complex restructurings.
Other key lawyers:
Dialog Semiconductor Plc
Sports Direct International Plc
Daily Mail and General Trust Plc
JRJ Ventures LLP
Paine Schwartz Partners LLP
- Represented Sports Direct on its £90m acquisition of House of Fraser out of administration.
- Advised Arcadis, a design and consultancy firm, on the acquisition of software and analytics firm SEAMS.
- Advised Howden Broking Limited on the acquisition of Punter Southall’s health and protection consultancy, Punter Southall Health and Protection Holdings Ltd., and its traditing subsidiaries.
- Acted for the management team of insurance broker Swinton on its sale by Covea to Ardonagh Group.
- Acted for Castel Insurance on its first sale of its incubated insurance business, Altitude Risk Partners, to Nexus.
Arnold & Porter's London office predominantly handles corporate M&A work in the life sciences sector, one of the firm's core sectors. Within this area, the firm works for blue chip pharmaceutical companies on investments, divestments and strategic acquisitions, often in collaboration with the US offices and the firm's highly rated life sciences regulatory teams. The London team also regularly handles M&A work in the technology sector, and is additionally developing a growing M&A practice in the sports sector. Practice head Jeremy Willcocks is experienced across corporate M&A, private equity and equity capital markets work, and advises on share transfers, joint ventures and debt capital markets transactions.
Other key lawyers:
‘Deep knowledge and understanding of their clients, which means they are proactive, very responsive and commercial in their approach‘
‘Good all-rounders, very versatile and able to deal with a wide range of corporate deals‘
‘Jeremy Willcocks is a fun, intelligent, hard working and very versatile lawyer‘
EMK Capital LLP
York Capital Management
Omega Healthcare Investors, Inc.
Williams Lea Tag
Norgine B V
Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry
- Acted for Williams Lea Tag, a marketing activation partner, on the acquisition of Taylor James, a digital production studio.
- Advised UK-based Armour Home Electronics Limited on the sale of its UK home office and furniture business, Alphason Designs, to Dorel Home.
- Acted for Novartis on the divestment of its Sandoz US dermatology business and generic US oral solids portfolio to Aurobindo Pharma USA Inc.
- Advised Omega on the acquisition of two healthcare homes, Haughgate House and The Old Vicarage.
- Advised Carestream Health in the sale of its healthcare information systems business to Royal Philips.
Clyde & Co LLP's corporate M&A team advises clients on strategic alliances, joint ventures, acquisitions and corporate compliance across key sectors of expertise, including real estate, marine, energy and natural resources and professional services. The international nature of the firm means that clients are both domestic and international, instructing the team on cross-border mandates across Europe, Asia and emerging markets. The team is led by Simon Vere Nicoll , who advises both public and private companies on corporate finance transactions, including private equity-backed acquisitions.
Simon Vere Nicoll
Other key lawyers:
‘Clydes’ lawyers are very responsive, competent and provide us with thorough legal services across a broad range of issues from business formation to immigration‘
Liberty House Group
P&O Maritime BV
GeoAmey PECS Limited
Be Living Holdings Ltd
Oaktree Capital Management
Anglo International Shipping Group Limited
SIMEC UK Energy Holdings Limited
Wyelands Property Holdings Limited
Urban and Civic Princess Street Limited
Harbour Hotels Group Limited
Egis Road Operation UK Limited
Jacobs Holding AG
- Advised Liberty House Group on the purchase of a European aluminium smelter from Rio Tinto, for $500m.
- Advised P&O Maritime in relation to the purchase of 51% of the shares of a joint venture vehicle incorporated by TIS Group to provide vessel towing services in Ukraine.
- Represented Be Living Holdings in the disposal of a majority stake in its Be Living residential development business to Ecoworld Berhad, for £125m
- Assisted Anglo International Shipping Group with their successful bid for the $21.5m acquisition of Ten Jin Maru, a bulk carrier vessel.
- Advised SIMEC UK Energy Holdings on all aspects of the sale of the entire issued share capital of SIMEC Uskmouth Power Limited to Atlantis Resources Limited
Dorsey & Whitney
Dorsey & Whitney's London office predominantly handles transatlantic corporate M&A work, collaborating with the firm's US offices on larger mandates. The team's growing domestic portfolio encompasses M&A work for AIM-listed companies and advising them on IPOs and secondary issues, as well as acting for investment banks on corporate financing. Mark Taylor heads the transactions group. As part of efforts to strengthen the London team, the firm made a number of ancillary hires across the banking and finance, debt and corporate trustee practices. Kate Francis is also recommended for her AIM-related work.
Other key lawyers:
Max Beazley; Kate Francis
Carlisle Companies Inc.
Alasdair Locke / Motor Fuel Group management
Entrust Datacard Corp.
PIB Group Limited
- Advised Entrust Datacard Corporation on its acquisition of Danish multi-factor authentication business CensorNet group.
- Advised Carlisle Companies on the acquisition of Tenencia Limited through a wholly-owned UK subsidiary.
- Represented the management team of Motor Fuel Group on the acquisition of MRH, a UK petrol station and convenience retail operator.
- Represented DAZN Group on a $1.4bn joint venture with IMG/Endeavor to tender for the role as media rights broker for multiple sporting competitions in South America.
- Advised Pattern Inc on the acquisition of Practicology Limited, an international eCommerce consultancy.
Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP's London office handles work across both the public and private markets, with a particular nod to activist investors. The team works closely with offices in the US, in addition to handling international components spanning the Middle East and Asia. Key sectors include technology, energy and natural resources and financial services, all of which department head James Campbell is experienced in. His practice covers M&A, joint ventures and corporate finance, in addition to acting on fund formation and private equity. The team was bolstered with the arrival of Gavin Watson from Dechert LLP, where he headed the international oil and gas team.
Other key lawyers:
‘Pillsbury’s London corporate team advised us on a large, complex transaction with insight, a deft touch and a responsiveness that was critical to bringing it to a successful closing‘
‘Sam Pearse is exceptional in all aspects of transactional work, from deal structure to diligence to negotiations‘
YuMe, Inc. / RhythmOne plc
HM Electronics / Clear-Com
Upland Software, Inc.
Cavendish Kinetics, Inc.
Teleios Capital Partners
- Represented YuMe on its merger with RhythmOne, with a consideration of $185m, made up of one third cash and two thirds shares.
- Represented RhythmOne on its £135m agreed takeover by Taptica, by way of a scheme of arrangement.
- Represented Upland Software on three acquisitions over the year, including the $65m acquisition of Rant & Rave.
Withers LLP is best known for advising on IP-rich transactions, particularly in the luxury brands, sport, pharmaceuticals and technology sectors. Within these, clients range from individuals and family offices to large corporates, with work often cross-border. The most notable recent development is the firm's merger with technology boutique JAG Shaw Baker, which expanded Withers' expertise in this sector and added a number of new clients, as well as additional partners, including the co-founder of JAG, James Shaw. The corporate practice is headed by Paul McGrath.
Other key lawyers:
‘The remarkably informed team at Withers are very knowledgeable, technically sound, resourceful and understand the clients’ needs and concerns.‘
‘Azlinda Ariffin-Boromand and James Martell always make sure I feel important.’
‘Associate Mark Lynch stands out. He understands the big picture, is amenable, approachable and always able to meet very tight deadlines‘
‘Graham Webster and Libby Payne have valuable sector savvy expertise; they know their respective fields not just from a legal perspective but also have detailed know-how of the business itself‘
Racing Point Limited and Racing Point UK Limited
Latrus Racing Corp.
Investors and founders of Symphony Ventures
MARA Incorporated SDN. BHD.
Ultra HNW Middle Eastern Family Office
Tenaga Nasional Berhad
- Advised Racing Point and Racing Point UK on pre-administration negotiations with Force India’s shareholders for funding to stave off administration. Also advised on the subsequent bidding process against 30 other bidders for a rescue of Force India, its assets and business.
- Advised Harsco Corporation on its acquisition of the US and UK-based business of Altek, for an initial payment of £45m.
- Acted for the selling shareholders of UK-based Symphony Ventures Ltd to US-based Sykes Enterprises, for £52m.
- Acted for Evolve IP in connection with the purchase of TVF Group.
- Acted for high net worth investor Ros Oxley on her acquisition of a minority stake in Global EVRT, an electric vehicle company.