Averus' practice provides 'excellent client service in any situation and goes the extra mile, without question.' The firm handles a variety of transactional and contentious matters for clients, including those concerning aircraft leasing, trading and shipping accidents . The 'goal orientated' Regina Derkintytė-Kaupienė and Laura Čereškaitė-Kinčiuvienė jointly lead the team. Derkintyte-Kaupiene assisted Towmar Baltic with negotiating an agreement over the development and use of a mobile application for the operation and management of tugs in Klaipeda seaport. In the aviation sphere, Cereskaite-Kinciuviene is acting for Magnetic Parts Trading on three transactions involving the lease of CFM International engines.
Shipping and transport in Lithuania
‘Averus is one of the few law firms in Lithuania with expertise in aviation law.’
‘This is the only law firm in Lithuania that specialises in shipping matters and has a decent number of shipping lawyers working for them.’
‘We have mainly worked with Laura Cereskaite-Kinciuviene. Laura stands out for her deep knowledge of the aircraft sales and leasing matters. She has very extensive experience in working on such transactions on daily basis. The years of experience have made her a real pro in picking up on very specific industry related issues. We can definitely rely on her.’
‘The team at Averus has in-depth knowledge of the aviation industry, which allows for tailored advice in specific situations.’
‘The shipping team has a very strong leader in Regina Derkintyte-Kaupiene, who not only knows the legal part of a subject, but also has very in-depth knowledge of the industry. She also has an extremely wide network of contacts, which helps to solve any matter in the shortest time. I was impressed by the speed and excellence of the services! I would praise Ignas Kerbelis as well: he has experience of working as an in-house lawyer at a shipping company for a number of years, so his expertise gives the Averus team solid value.’
‘Working with Laura Cereskaite-Kinciuviene, communication is effortless and to the point most of the time. She has a genuine interest in understanding the client, and she fights for it. She also has thorough and specific industry knowledge.’
‘I see Regina Derkintyte-Kaupieneas as a core person at the firm. She is extremely client and goal-oriented, and provides exceptional and pragmatic solutions. She achieves the desired results in an exceptionally efficient manner time and cost wise.’
Lithuanian Shipping Company
Marine Underwriting Services
- Representing Donald McArthy Trading as the acquirer in a contractual dispute with a German seller over the client’s refusal to pay for goods because of the seller’s failure to provide a report on the cargo’s quality.
- Representing Lithuanian automotive spare parts trader Maxauto Baltic in a dispute with a German logistics company.
- Acting for Magnetic Parts Trading on a transaction involving the redelivery from lease of an Airbus 320 aircraft and subsequent airframe and engine sale.
Šulija Partners Law Firm Vilnius
Šulija Partners Law Firm Vilnius has a predominantly international client base, which includes foreign companies and international private investors. It acts on the acquisition and leasing of private and commercial aircraf. In addition, international aviation finance transactions are another mainstay of the practice; team head Gintautas Šulija is a go-to name for advice in this space. A recent highlight involved assisting a Florida-based aircraft leasing company with purchasing and leasing an Airbus A320.
‘Sulija & Partners has unique experience of the aviation market. We have worked with the firm on multimillion aviation transactions recently, and it handled all the matters very professionally. It consistently provides top-quality services.’
‘This is the strongest practice of the law firm, as they are very-well known in Lithuania as one of the best experts on aviation and related matters in Lithuania. The firm stands out in that clients have a direct contact with the partners of the law firm, who personally handle most of the matters entrusted to the law firm. The firm manages expectations brilliantly, great for handling regulatory issues and for supporting transactions with business partners.’
‘The firm has rich aviation expertise, probably the best in Lithuania. It handles a number of matters, including aircraft leases, purchases, financing, mortgaging assets, etc. The lawyers have deep understanding of English and New York laws, which is customarily used for aircraft finance transactions.’
‘We worked with Gintautas Sulija and were satisfied with his knowledge of Lithuanian law and asset finance structures. He is very attentive to details, which is good for a lawyer, responds quickly and in time. The deal lasted for a few months, and Gintautas successfully supported us throughout this period.’
‘I have worked with many lawyers over the decades in all three countries, but have never been as happy with a company as with this one for over a dozen years now. It seems to always be dedicated to the ideal of excellence in the sense of telling the client what are the possible outcomes of any choice, and then pursuing that choice with passion in the client’s interests. There is never an attempt to stretch anything out, or to achieve less than the best possible result for the client. There is a deep intellectual honesty that translates into many other virtues. If not for Sulija and Co, I am quite sure I would have left Lithuania years ago.’
‘Gintautas Sulija is strongly recommended as an aviation law expert. He assists us with our day-to-day operation and provides excellent, precise and quick advice. I would also point out Vytautas Sulija is particularly helpful in litigation matters. Eduard Plešak is also recommended as a diligent lawyer with attention to details.’
‘We work with Dr Gintautas Sulija, Dr Vytautas Sulija and Eduard Plešak. They are all great lawyers, very professional and provide most efficient service. Dr Gintautas Sulija, Partners of the law firm, is renowned for his experience in aviation and general corporate matters. In particular, he is great for drafting the most complicated contracts in the most high-value transactions. Eduard Plešak is recommended for basically same reasons. Dr Vytautas Sulija, also a Partner at the firm, is an eminent litigator.’
‘Gintautas Sulija is one of the leading lawyers in Lithuania for aviation finance matters. He is 24/7 available and provides excellent, precise and quick advice with special attention to the details and possible legal and even commercial risks involved. I would also recommend Eduard Plešak, who is particularly helpful on regulatory matters and liaising with state authorities.’
Aldebaran Aviation Ltd.
Jet Maintenance Solutions
- Supporting a subsidiary of VTB Leasing on sale and lease back transaction of two full flight simulators.
- Advising a Columbian airline in subleasing three Airbus 320 aircraft to a Lithuanian airline.
- Advising a subsidiary of one of the largest Russian banks on a $1.4m insurance dispute with the insurer over the damages caused to an aircraft engine.
Cobalt's practice covers all issues involving the carriage of goods by land, sea and air, among many other matters. Vaidas Mackonis, who heads up the team, acted for ALPI Baltika in a dispute over the theft of computer hardware during the carriage of goods by road. Senior associate Giedrius Abromavičius has experience of advising shipping companies, carriers and freight forwarders.
Jupiter Shipping and Trading
Riga International Airport
Lithuanian National Road Carriers Association
- Advised Astola Professional Services B.V – a company registered in the Netherlands – on a carriage of goods dispute with carrier Grens Cargo.
- Represented KUEHNE + NAGEL, UAB, a member of Kuehne + Nagel Group, in a court dispute with Helisota UAB over the transportation of dual-use goods to the third countries (Afghanistan, Moldova) and regarding the unpaid debts for the provided shipping services.
- Acted for MJ Baltic in litigation against T.E.L.S. Transeuropean Logistic Services Ltd over the liability of the carrier for the loss of goods during carriage by sea.
Ellex's shipping and transport practice is made up of 'first-class professionals.' The team is active in aircraft registrations and leasings, financing transactions and the development of transport infrastructure. Team head Dovile Greblikiene, who has 'extremely good industry know-how', is particuarly strong in infrastructure projects (notably those involving LNG and oil terminals). The 'experienced' Ramunas Petravicius focuses on rail and road infrastructure projects. Miroslav Nosevic is experienced in transport and shipping disputes, and is currently representing DSV transport as respondent in litigation before the state courts of Lithuania over stolen freight. Gediminas Reciunas departed for WALLESS in January 2019.
‘I consider the Ellex team as top, first-class professionals. They have the highest level of knowledge, deep expertise and perfect work ethics. They are business-minded, have wide international competence and excellent client understanding.’
‘Dovile Greblikiene has extremely good industry know-how, is reliable and offers practical solutions.’
‘Ramunas Petravicius is a very experienced practitioner in infrastructure and railways, who is able to handle the deals. Not many can handle things of that significance.’
‘Vilija Vaitkute Pavan is the outstanding dispute resolution and arbitration lawyer, as well as being very well-known as a shipping expert.’
‘Giedrius Stasevicius is one of the most experienced finance lawyers on the market who brings the senior presence that is needed in most complex situations.’
‘Robertas Ciocys is a highly skilled adviser with broad experience, considerable awareness for clients, and solution-oriented approach. I would like to highlight an outstanding performance of the team. I do appreciate having a dedicated team of lawyers who strive to understand our needs. Other law firms in the market are in different league and I wouldn’t even compare them in the same level.’
Danish Air Transport
- Represented International Transport Solutions, which provides global transport services as both haulier and a forwarder, in a debt collection case against a Lithuanian company.
- Acted as the Lithuanian counsel to AerCap (acting as a lessor) on the leasing of a new aircraft to Avion Express.
- Counsel to the Kaunas City Municipality in a contractual dispute with road infrastructure company Kamesta over the termination of a long-term concession agreement.
Primus Derling assists clients with cargo claims, disputes between contractors, transport infrastructure matters and regulatory issues. Practice head Robert Juodka handles various issues for Michelin in connection with its activities in Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia; the advice covers areas such as competition law, transport and tyre safety regulation, distribution law and contract law. Senior associate Artūras Gutauskas is experienced in advising domestic and international clients on disputes concerning breaches of transit procedures, compensation of damages and unpaid debts arising from services rendered for the international carriage of goods.
Ramanauskas and Partners
Ramanauskas and Partners has a specialist maritime and shipping practice, which acts on matters related to damages to port installations, shipyard repairs and collisions. Managing partner Vytautas Ramanauskas and Algirdas Gervaitis are notable practitioners in the team.
Sorainen's team has 'formidable expertise' in the shipping and transport sphere. Its expertise includes the international sale of goods, ship arrests, infrastructure projects and aircraft construction. The team is led by Daivis Švirinas and Vaiva Mašidlauskienė, who advised Wizz Air Hungary on possible limitations for slot transfer in the event of restructuring under Lithuanian law. Vitalija Tamavičiūtė has a notable specialism in railway transport regulation.
‘As compared with other firms from the Baltics that I have had an opportunity to work with, Sorainen definitely stands out from the crowd. Its multidisciplinary team provides high quality legal advice and has formidable expertise. It is extremely committed to its work, and its approach is analytical and comprehensive.’
‘Vitalija Tamavičiūtė, who is a counsel at Sorainen, is very professional, responsive, supportive and flexible. It is a pleasure to work with her.’
Ministry of Transport and Communications of the Republic of Lithuania
- Advising RB Rail on drafting the underlying international treaties, infrastructure management agreements and revisions to national laws that are needed for management of the Rail Baltica cross-border railway infrastructure.
- Representing the Ministry of Transport and Communications of the Republic of Lithuania (MoT) in a European Commission investigation into allegedly unlawful state aid.
- Advised Inchcape on the acquisition of BMW’s distribution business in Lithuania.
TGS Baltic's shipping and transport practice acts for a wide range of clients, including insurance companies, financial institutions, and domestic and international shipping companies. Gytis Kaminskas and Žydrūnė Stuglytė, who jointly lead the team, assisted a Singapore-based entity with its attempts to purchase a cargo ship by way of a public auction.
‘The team represented us in a dispute with a contractor. The team cooperated well with the in-house team, providing certain insights during the dispute.’
‘Zydrune Stuglyte was helpful and well-organised while handling the case. Karolis Smaliukas is appreciated for his proactive actions and insights that may be related to the activities of the client.’
Avia Solutions Group
- Advising the Ministry of Transport and Communications of the Republic of Lithuania on a dispute with Lithuanian company UAB Skinest Baltija, Estonian companies Skinest Rail AS, Skinest Grupp AS and Estonian citizen Oleg Ossinovsk over public tender results.
- TGS Baltic advised Lithuanian Railways on corporate and public procurement issues related to the implementation of the Rail Baltica global project.
- Representing transportation company UAB Finginas as a respondent in litigation initiated by the claimant UAB Manvesta.
WALLESS' shipping and transport group is 'very professional' and provides 'quality advice'. It particularly stands out in corporate and finance transactions in the aviation sector; mandates include acquisitions and sales of single/multiple aircraft, sale and leaseback transactions, finance leasing and operating leasing. The 'excellent' Gediminas Reciunas and Laura Ziferman co-head the team. Reciunas is an expert in aviation and aircraft finance, while Ziferman acts on infrastructure and transport projects.
‘Very professional, quick response and quality advice.’
‘The team is very experienced and client-oriented, responding promptly and with a high degree of professionalism. Their legal advice has proven to be correct and reliable. The team’s international experience and English language skills are excellent and very valuable to us as an international client.’
‘Enrika Tamasauskaite is exceptional to work with. Very knowledgeable in the aviation sector and provides clear, to-the-point advice. Very responsive.’
‘Obtaining Gediminas Reciunas’ legal advice and support has been very helpful for the development of our business in Lithuania. In addition to his excellent legal knowledge and experience, his network in our field of business has proven to be very good to rely upon to solve issues not only of a purely legal nature.’
Danish Air Transport
- Advising Klaipeda City Administration on the development of its public transportation system.
- Advising a client on financing of certain high value aircraft components.
- Advising a client on the sale of aircraft portfolio.
Eversheds Saladžius (a member of Eversheds Sutherland)'s practice covers shipping, rail, road and aviation work acting for both private and public sector clients. Rimtis Puišys heads up the team, which was bolstered in 2019 by the arrival of Sigitas Groblys from Law Firm Foresta.
- Advised Circle K Lietuva on a long-term oil supply agreement with Orlen Lietuva.
- Advising Fortum Klaipėda on a transportation contract for the delivery of waste, slag and ash in relation to a waste-to-energy facility.
Law firm J. Judickiene and Partners Jurex
Law firm J. Judickiene and Partners Jurex's practice has a strong reputation in shipping and transport disputes. Jelena Cvirko and Artūras Vaišvila both lead the team. Cvirko, who is an expert in transport law, focuses on international carriage of goods by road. Vaišvila has experience of representing clients in litigation against international road construction companies. The firm represented the All Time Group in a cross-border dispute with Austrian road transport company LKW Walter Internationale Transportorganisation AG.
All time group
- Successfully represented one of the biggest international distribution companies in the Baltic region – Eugesta – in a complex cross-border case against UK Border Force (part of UK Home Office). The case related to the international transportation of excise goods from France to the United Kingdom.
- Representing Lithuanian logistics company BFU company in the complex cross-border case against German road transport company BLS Baltic Logistic Service GmbH. The case relates to the loss of high-value cargo during multimodal transportation.
- Representing Lithuanian road transport company All Time group in the complex cross-border dispute with one of the largest Austrian road transport companies LKW Walter Internationale Transportorganisation AG.
LEADELL Balčiūnas & Grajauskas
LEADELL Balčiūnas & Grajauskas advises start-ups and major companies on a wide variety of shipping and transport matters. Practice head Gintaras Balčiūnas and others provide ongoing advice to Centrinis Klaipėdos Terminalas on its international and domestic operations. The firm also advises AB Klaipėdos jūrų krovinių kompanija on several matters related to shipping and port development. Senior associate Vaidas Radvila is recommended.
FITEK LT, UAB
UAB “Indeco Investment and Development”
- Ongoing advice to UAB Fitek on a wide range of matters, such as drafting articles of association, shareholder issues, the increase of authorised capital and other services related to shipping.
- Ongoing assistance to AB Klaipėdos laivų remontas on matters such as drafting a lease of administrative premises agreement and advising on national legal base amendments regulating Klaipėda’s Port.
- Providing legal advice to Centrinis Klaipėdos Terminalas on both its international and local operations, including national and international shipping matters.