Firms in the Spotlight Commercial, corporate and M&A
Commercial, corporate and M&A in Lebanon
Cross-border transactions are a key area of focus for Abou Jaoude & Associates Law Firm. Testament to its expertise in this space was its advice to luxury fashion company Elie Saab group on a multi-jurisdictional divestment of an equity stake in its capital. Souraya Machnouk leads the M&A practice and is notably strong in the energy sector. Managing partner Carlos Abou Jaoude, who is highly skilled in cross-border transactions, is a key figure. Simon El Kai heads up the corporate practice, which also includes senior associate Chebl Atallah.
Carlos Abou Jaoude; Souraya Machnouk; Simon El Kai
Online Money Transfer
Elie Saab Group
The Luxury Fund / TLF Ventures
Sony Middle East and Africa Fze
Laceco Architects & Engineers Group
Doctors without Borders
Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation International SAL
- Advised Elie Saab group on the divestment of an equity stake in its capital.
- Assisted CardioDiagnostics with the divestment of equity stakes held by investment funds.
- Advised Abou Zeid on its acquisition of Online Cash International.
Alem & Associates is a popular choice for several international clients and is notably strong in areas such as M&A, joint ventures, LBOs, restructurings and corporate governance. Founding partner Mohamed Alem heads the team and is particularly skilled in sectors such as as energy and natural resources, financial services, infrastructure and real estate. Omar El Assir splits his time between Beirut and Riyadh and advises on cross-border M&A and private equity deals. Other key members of the team include Leila Laila, who specialises in the TMT sector, and real estate and construction specialist Rola Tabsh.
British Airways PLC
Bakri International Energy
Company Limited (BIECO)
Gulf of Oman Investment LLC
Société Générale Private Banking
Booz Allen Hamilton Saudi Arabia LLC
General Electric Company
Unitrend for Investment Sarl
DIV Capital Sal
Legacy One Holding SAL
Younata Investment Ltd.
Al Bilad Capital
- Advised General Electric on the corporate structuring of its Lebanese branches.
- Assisted Light Box Group with its acquisition of a leading lighting supplier and contractor in Lebanon and the Middle East.
- Advised DIV Capital on its acquisition of a 33% stake in a group of companies involved in the solar energy development business.
Badri and Salim El Meouchi LLP is highly experienced in handling M&A, public offerings and restructurings, with a strong emphasis on sectors such as banking, hospitality, retail, and oil and gas. Managing partner Chadia El Meouchi leads the team and has extensive experience in corporate and M&A. Other key figures include M&A expert Samia El Meouchi and banking specialist Salim El Meouchi. Senior associate Carine Ferran, who regularly supports Chadia El Meouchi on various matters, is also recommended.
Chadia El Meouchi
Banque Misr Liban
Saint-Gobain Middle East
Construction Development Company International
Projects Development Company
Audi Saradar Private Bank
- Advised educational technology company LeapLearner on its $5.5m venture capital fundraising from investors in China, Lebanon, Singapore and the US.
Chedid Law Offices in association with Dentons is able to leverage its international association to advise multinational companies and financial institutions on investments and major compliance. The team is particularly strong in advising international companies on the regulatory framework for new technology and payment systems. Practice head Elias Chedid has a strong focus on the TMT sector and is highly skilled in dealing with international clients, having previously worked in Paris and New York. Raymond Chedid is another key figure and is particularly strong in the gaming sector, as well as dealing with government bodies. Senior associate Georgette Salamé, who focuses on the TMT and healthcare sectors, is also noted.
Abouhamad, Merheb, Chamoun, Chedid
Antoine J. Merheb
Abousleiman & Partners
Abousleiman & Partners' multidisciplinary practice has expertise in M&A, joint ventures, company formations and restructurings. Managing partner Randa Abousleiman leads the team and is skilled in cross-border and domestic corporate transactions.
Al Jad in collaboration with CMS
Al Jad in collaboration with CMS's client base includes a number of household names, such as Ford, HSBC and Instagram, and it predominantly advises on commercial contracts and regulatory issues. Malek Takieddine leads the practice and is particularly active in the technology and energy sectors.
European Union, Lebanon Delegation
World Duty Free
- Advised Fransabank Group on documents relating to financing projects in Lebanon and Iraq.
- Assisted World Duty Free with its tender for the duty free concession at Beirut international airport.
- Advised fitness company Les Mills on its launch of a Les Mills on Demand service in Lebanon.
El-Aref International Law Office is highly skilled in cross-border mandates such as advising international entities on forming companies in Lebanon, as well as investments in multiple other jurisdictions. Practice head Aref El-Aref advised music streaming service Deezer on structuring its entity in Lebanon. He also assisted B.B. Energy with its acquisition of a Slovak corporation that owns the City Gate shopping centre in Bratislava.
- Advised Multi Service Technology Solutions, Inc. on its project to design, develop and deploy a new service in tandem with the International Air Transport Association
- Assisted Synaptive Medical with the structuring of its entity in Lebanon.
- Advised AT Kearney on the structuring of its entity in Lebanon and regulatory issues.
El-Khoury & Partners Legal Counsel (EKP) is uniquely structured as a regional law firm with offices in Beirut, Dubai and Riyadh, and often handles mandates where the jurisdictions intersect. In recent work, the team advised product distribution company Slid on multi-jurisdictional corporate and commercial matters. Practice head Ziad El-Khoury, Wissam Hassem and senior associate Bassem Chalhoub are recommended.
- Advising Matco Marketing & Trading Sarl on the construction of a plant for the manufacturing of cosmetic products through a joint venture with a leading Italian industrial group.
- Assisting MySay SAL with the sale of part of its shares to Zain Telecom, which involves advising on the sale structure, drafting and negotiating the subscription agreement and shareholders’ agreement.
- Acting for Agility Group on inter-group financing agreements involving multi-jurisdictional shareholder loans between parent companies incorporated abroad and subsidiaries incorporated in Lebanon.
Obeid Law Firm is skilled in M&A, joint ventures and commercial agreements, with a strong focus on the construction, oil and gas, financial services and telecoms sectors. Ziad Obeid leads the team and a has a strong background in engineering. Of counsel Marie Hayek specialises in corporate and commercial matters pertaining to the financial services sector.
Baroudi & Associates
Baroudi & Associates acts for international and domestic clients on M&A, joint ventures and commercial contracts. Managing partner Jean Baroudi leads the team and is particularly strong in the tourism, hospitality and real estate sectors.
Eptalex - Aziz Torbey Law Firm
Eptalex - Aziz Torbey Law Firm's diverse corporate team focuses on M&A, divestitures, private equity, commercial contracts and corporate governance. Marie Maalouly Torbey jointly leads the practice and stands out for her work advising on the tax aspects of commercial transactions. Fellow practice head and managing partner Ramy Torbey has a strong focus on the financial services, technology and construction sectors. Name partner Aziz Torbey is also recommended.
Marie Maalouly Torbey; Ramy Torbey
Hamdan Law Firm has a strong background in advising international clients on establishing businesses in Lebanon, with notable strengths in areas such as franchising and distribution agreements, commercial regulations and trade mark registrations. Managing partner Abdel Ghani Hamdan is the key name to note.
Abdel Ghani Hamdan
Kabalan & Associates' core areas of focus include M&A, joint ventures, commercial contracts and private equity. Managing partner Maitre Noureddine Kabalan leads the team and is particularly skilled in the energy sector.
Maitre Noureddine Kabalan
MENA City Lawyers
MENA City Lawyers predominantly focuses on the drafting and negotiating of commercial contracts. Fady Jamaleddine leads the practice and has experience of advising local and international companies on commercial agreements.
The 'very professional, decent and transparent' team at NSP Legal has a strong presence in the aviation and FMCG sectors. The 'very talented' Jad Skaff jointly heads the practice and assisted Transmed Holding with its $6m acquisition of an 80% stake in Turkish food distributor Demak Food. Fellow co-head Joseph Nasrallah advised National Aviation Services Group on its acquisition of a company which provides airport ground handling services in Ghana.
Jad Skaff; Joseph Nasrallah
‘Responds to emails in a timely manner.’
‘Very professional, decent and transparent.‘
‘Jad Skaff is very talented.‘
‘Jad Skaff is exceptionally direct and to the point.’
National Aviation Services Group
- Advised Fizzle, which owns toy shops in Lebanon and Jordan, on its merger with another company which owns toy shops operating in Lebanon under three different brands.
- Assisted Transmed Overseas with its acquisition of 80% of a distributor of pharmaceutical and para-pharmaceutical products in the UAE – Pharmapal Drugstore.
- Advised National Aviation Services Group on its acquisition of a company which provides aviation ground handling services in Ghana.