Regulatory and White-collar in Jersey
Baker & Partners is a leading name in the field of regulatory investigations, regularly acting for both businesses and Jersey’s regulatory prosecutors in a number of high-profile cases. Simon Thomas' experience covers fraud prosecutions, negligent financing claims and regulatory public law issues. Recent mandates for William Redgrave include securing high-value freezing orders for both domestic and international litigation actions, as well as acting in banking-sector mis-selling claims. The also team also has expertise in mutual legal assistance matters.
Stephen Baker; Simon Thomas; William Redgrave
Other key lawyers:
‘An excellent combination of established advocates from Jersey and specialist barristers with a UK background‘
‘One of the pre-eminent litigation practices in Jersey‘
‘Simon Thomas acts on complex and serious trial proceedings smoothly and according to plan‘
‘Simon has a very approachable manner and prepares cases thoroughly‘
‘Simon Thomas is an excellent jury advocate and his cross-examination is devastating. He is not simply a good advocate but an excellent lawyer who understands how to present cases which makes him very jury friendly‘
‘Stephen Baker and Julian Gollop are very competent advocates‘
‘Baker & Partners provides excellent and insightful knowledge of the law‘
‘Baker & Partners is approachable and works in a collegiate manner‘
‘No other firm has the same level of experience in Jersey‘
Beneficiaries of the I, J, K and L Trusts
Link Asset Services Limited
The Attorney General of Jersey
Jersey Financial Services Commission
- Acted for Meinl Bank in challenging attempts by the Austrian authorities to obtain Jersey-held material to use in criminal investigations.
- Instructed to act for the UHNW beneficiaries of four trusts which are the subject of investigation by Jersey and international authorities.
- Successfully prosecuted the former managing director of Lumiere Wealth for a number of mis-selling offences on behalf of the Attorney General of Jersey.
- Instructed to prosecute the director of Parisma Trading with offences of fraud and fraudulent conversion on behalf of the Attorney General of Jersey
Carey Olsen has a dedicated regulatory and white collar disputes team as part of its full-service offering to an extensive list of international corporate clients. William Grace is a leading figure in the field and is often sought-after by regulated businesses to advise on money laundering, proceeds of crime and sanctions matters, as well as regulatory investigations, including ones concerning alleged insider trading. The team has expertise in mutual legal assistance and regulatory appeals. Marcus Pallot has experience of gambling regulation, among other matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Carey Olsen’s knowledge of regulatory law is first-class‘
‘Carey Olsen provides advice which is commercial and pragmatic‘
‘The team has depth of knowledge of regulatory law‘
‘John Kelleher, Guy Coltman and William Grace are unrivaled in their experience‘
‘William Grace has a no-nonsense approach to resolving matters‘
‘William Grace’s knowledge of regulatory law is second to none. He is extremely thorough yet provides concise advice that is solutions-driven‘
Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank
- Acting for the US government on the enforcement of a financial order in a criminal proceeding and a mutual legal assistance request.
- Represented Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank in a prosecution for intermeddling.
- Instructed to appeal a decision by the Jersey Competition and Regulatory Authority.
Bedell Cristin operates closely with its offices in Guernsey, the Cayman Islands and beyond to advise multi-jurisdictional financial institutions on regulatory compliance obligations, including anti-corruption and anti-money laundering regimes. Recent work includes handling litigation concerning freezing orders, health and safety prosecutions and proceeds of crime orders.
Edward Drummond; Martin Paul
‘An excellent team with a broad range of knowledge‘
‘Approachable partners who are able to explain, in everyday language, complex legal and regulatory matters‘
‘Edward Drummond not just gets on with it but always seems to get it‘
Credit Suisse AG (Singapore)
Harbour Litigation Funding
- Acted for Credit Suisse (Singapore) in securing the release of property subject to criminal freezing orders in Jersey.
- Acting for Boubyan Petrochemical Company against a number of parties (including the former general partner and asset manager) concerning claims arising from certain UK property purchases.
- Acting for Harbour Litigation Funding in litigation against Dr. Gail Cochrane and her company Orb, and the related seizure over the assets of convicted fraudster Gerald Smith.
Alongside its affiliated entity Oben Regulatory, Oben Law is a sought-after firm for both regulatory bodies and regulated businesses, predominantly in the financial sector. The team provides advice to clients subject to criminal charges, enforcement proceedings, money laundering investigations, among others. Director Jamie Biddle is often instructed to carry out independent internal compliance reviews and remediation support following Jersey Financial Services Commission applications.
Simon Franckel; David Wilson
Other key lawyers:
‘An industry leader in regulatory law‘
‘Fantastic attention to detail‘
The Jersey Financial Services Commission
- Acting for an investor claim group in a mis-selling claim against Brooks MacDonald.
Boutique outfit Callington Chambers is considered a go-to name for data protection, having recently advised on the implementation of domestic legislation as well as handling criminal cases in this field. Davida Blackmore left to set up her own practice.
‘The team at Callington Chambers is very flexible and client focussed‘
‘An amazing practice with transparent people who don’t keep you in the dark about anything‘
Information Commissioner for Jersey
- Advising the Information Commissioner for Jersey on updated Jersey data protection legislation law in light of the GDPR and assisting with proposed amendments to the draft laws during the legislative consultation.