Dispute resolution in Jersey
Baker & Partners presents a truly full-service offering of highly-regarded advocates who are routinely praised by a client list of blue-chip businesses, corporate service providers, foreign governments, private clients and UK law firms. Mandates largely comprise high-value, multi-jurisdictional disputes in the fields of contentious trusts, insolvency, asset recovery, civil fraud, commercial litigation and regulatory matters. Adding substantial weight to the already extensive team, which includes stand-out members Stephen Baker ('pragmatic, commercial and creative'), William Redgrave ('clever and tactical') and senior associates James Sheedy ('level-headed'), Charlie Sorensen and Lynne Gregory is the appointment of senior counsel James Corbett QC, who formerly led Kobre & Kim's office in the Cayman Islands.
Stephen Baker; Simon Thomas; William Redgrave
Other key lawyers:
‘A powerhouse of a firm, with practitioners who are friendly and practical‘
‘William Redgrave is a superb advocate‘
‘James Corbett QC is an exceptional advocate; eloquent, always engages with the judge positively, and has an exceptional knowledge of all aspects of commercial law‘
‘Lynne Gregory is an extremely competent lawyer‘
‘James Sheedy has an encyclopedic knowledge of trusts law‘
‘Amita Chohan is an exceptionally bright lawyer‘
‘Steve Baker is the driving force behind the firm. He is very commercial and fights his client’s corner‘
‘Simon Thomas is very intelligent, helpful and always a pleasure to work with‘
‘James Corbett QC is calm, extremely knowledgeable, organised and creative‘
‘Charlie Sorensen is a responsive and diligent senior associate, whose analysis is measured and client-friendly‘
‘A very strong team‘
BNP Paribas Jersey Trust Corporation
Margaret Smith (trustee in the bankruptcy of the Joseph M. De Mauro estate)
Temple Estates Limited
Beneficiaries of the I, J, L, K trusts
- Acting for CMC Holdings on claims of fiduciary duty breaches against a former company director.
- Representing BNP Paribas Jersey Trust Corporation as defendants in the Crociani v Crociani litigation.
- Appointed by the US Bankruptcy Court as special counsel to the client in the bankruptcy of the Joseph M. De Mauro estate.
- Successfully prosecuted (on behlaf of the Attorney General of Jersey) the former managing director of Lumiere Wealth Limited for a number of mis-selling offences.
- Defended Temple Estates Limited in an action brought by the current directors alleging breach of duty.
Contentious trust and probate litigation remain the core area of expertise for the Bedell Cristin team, with the likes of Robert Gardner, Edward Drummond, Mark Taylor and Sonia Shah acting in some of Jersey’s most significant cases in this field. The breadth of the practice also encompasses multi-jurisdictional commercial disputes and contentious insolvency matters for a client list consisting of international financial institutions, high-profile individuals, trust companies and trust beneficiaries.
‘A quality, heavy-hitting litigation outfit‘
‘A group of outstanding advocates‘
‘Well respected by the bench and peers‘
‘Clever, fast-thinking lawyers‘
‘Mark Taylor has the ear of the court and a deft touch. An awesome advocate‘
‘Edward Drummond is very clever, very thorough, very sensible and very effective in court‘
‘Edward Drummond has a very sharp legal mind and an intuitive understanding of litigation strategy‘
‘Robert Gardner has a good feel for what the judge will think and is great on strategy‘
‘Sonia Shah is unflappable, thorough and completely on top of every detail of her cases‘
‘Sonia Minns has a direct and down to earth approach‘
Garfield Bennett TC
Ernst & Young
- Acting for Cristiana Crociani before the Royal Court and Court of Appeal in $200m breach of trust proceedings.
- Acting for Nedgroup, the trustee in the long-running Westley Trust dispute.
- Acting for Patrick and Anthony Cheung as two executors in a contentious estate dispute worth in excess of $1bn.
- Acting for Garfield Bennett in an ongoing family dispute concerning the division of £8m of trust assets.
- Acting for Bortha Woudsma in obtaining injunctive relief in support of her ongoing matrimonial dispute in the Netherlands.
Carey Olsen’s disputes offering is a market leader in the field, regularly acting in some of Jersey’s largest contentious insolvency cases for funds, international companies, boards of directors and creditors, as well as receiving instructions from elite London law firms. Jeremy Garrood and Marcus Pallot are stand-out names in this field while practice head John Kelleher is noted for his commercial disputes expertise and William Grace is sought-after by international financial institutions for financial services matters, including regulatory disputes. The firm has a solid offering for contentious trusts and is also well-placed to act on the growing field of shareholder disputes.
‘The team has a real ability to quickly comprehend issues and come up with a commercial and pragmatic solution in a tight time frame‘
‘The firm is approachable and knowledgeable‘
‘A personable and professional team that is very good to work with‘
‘John Kelleher is clear, concise and practical‘
‘Marcus Pallot is approachable, contactable and a font of knowledge. He is super commercial and is able to see through the complex issues with ease‘
‘William Grace demonstrates fantastic knowledge and provides first-class advice in a tight time frame‘
‘The team is efficient, courteous and make you feel like you are the only client‘
‘John Keheller and Richard Holden are stand-out practitioners. Their knowledge, tactical acumen and finesse in dealing with matters, including in particular difficult issues that arise during the course of proceedings, distinguishes them from other practitioners‘
Duff & Phelps
Ernst & Young
Hard Rock Limited
- Advising the Hard Rock group on allegations of fraud and misrepresentation by employees of the Hard Rock group.
- Represented the directors of Bellzone Mining plc in an application to wind up the company in Jersey and subsequent processes.
- Represented Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank, which was prosecuted for the offence of intermeddling under the Probate (Jersey) Law 1998.
- Represented a secured lender in a Jersey bankruptcy process known as “dégrèvement”.
Mourant's dispute resolution team has an enviable institutional client base including multinational banks, corporate service providers and fund managers as well as private clients. The team of 'formidable opponents' has considerable expertise in banking and finance disputes, fund and asset tracing, commercial arbitration, employment, trust disputes, insolvency and regulatory investigations. The breadth and expertise of the partnership is evidenced by the client praise given to Jonathan Speck ('a great leader'; 'hugely respected'), Bruce Lincoln ('exceptional technical knowledge'), Justin Harvey-Hills, ('a tenacious litigator'), Mathew Cook ('a smooth and friendly lawyer') and Stephen Alexander ('rising star'). Counsel Luke Olivier ('very knowledgeable and pragmatic') is also recommended expertise in corporate and commercial litigation, with a particular specialism in dealing with foreign tax authorities.
‘Without doubt, the insolvency and litigation team with the greatest depth of quality in the Channel Islands.‘
‘Years of experience between them and all well-respected by the court‘
‘Jonathan Speck brings gravitas to court proceedings and commands respect‘
‘Bruce Lincoln stands out as a formidable intellect and strategist. He has a well-deserved reputation for being one of the top lawyers in his field and he is a clear-headed and persuasive advocate‘
‘Justin Harvey-Hills is an extremely capable advocate who combines a detailed knowledge of the case with stylish and clear presentation‘
‘Luke Olivier stands out as an exceptionally commercial and charismatic associate‘
‘Ben Thorp is impressive‘
‘With an impressive range and depth of skills, Mourant Ozannes is able to put together teams on individual cases with excellent technical capability, a wealth of experience, commercial nous and outstanding client-facing skills‘
‘Chris Vincent is a promising junior associate‘
Berge Gerdt Larsen
Jersey Home Loans
Virtue Trustees (Switzerland) AG
Vantage Capital Management AG
RBC Trust Company (International) Limited
- Acting as Jersey counsel for Lolita Danilina in a dispute with Vladimir Chernukhin (ex-Russian finance minister) as to rightful ownership of assets accumulated during, and divided after, their former relationship.
- Acting for Berge Gerdt Larsen in relation to challenges to notices issued by both the Comptroller of Taxes in Jersey and the Attorney General.
- Acting for Jersey Home Loans Limited in relation to contested debt enforcement proceedings before the Royal Court.
- Representing RBC Trust Company in proceedings brought before the Royal Court in Jersey by two Kenyan plaintiff companies.
- Acting for Virtue Trustees (a Swiss corporate trustee and protector of a $20m Jersey law trust) on a contentious application for rectification of the trust.
Owing to Appleby’s considerable global footprint, its Jersey team regularly receives big-ticket instructions from global financial institutions, including recent court-approved multibillion-pound restructuring mandates. The practice, which includes highly-praised advocates Michael Cushing and Fraser Robertson, also acts on trust and fiduciary disputes, professional negligence claims and contentious insolvency. Newly-promoted partner Jared Dann is also recommended for his expertise in contentious trust, fraud and asset tracing matters.
‘The team works together as a seamless unit, capable of meeting very tight deadlines‘
‘A strong and established team with worldwide off shore support‘
‘The firm’s advice is always very clear and extremely practical‘
‘Michael Cushing is an exceptional lawyer. He combines hard work with unfailing good humour‘
‘Fraser Robertson and Jared Dann are both excellent court lawyers and give sound pragmatic advice‘
‘Michael Cushing has a breadth of experience and is great to work with‘
‘When it comes to large-scale court room litigation, Fraser Robertson is at the very top in the island‘
Zedra Trust Company (Jersey) Limited
- Represented Santander in the court-approved transfer of the banking business of the bank’s Jersey branch.
- Represented a trust beneficiary in a unique decision regarding validity of revocation notices.
- Acting for the Nigerian government in relation to a $300m claim over assets held in Jersey.
- Representing Private Equity Fund Finance Limited in its application for directions from the court to effect an orderly winding-up of a Jersey limited partnership.
Collas Crill has a full-service team with a solid roster of advocates offering leading expertise in their respective fields. Damian James leads on contentious trust matters for a client roster of local trust companies, banks and private clients. Nuno Santos-Costa, also handles, among other matters, property litigation and construction disputes - he also serves as a crown advocate, prosecuting serious criminal cases. The team also regularly acts on corporate litigation and complex, multi-jurisdictional family disputes. Danny Le Maistre is now at Ingram Advocates.
Nuno Santos-Costa; Damian James
‘Practical approach to resolution and key partners respected and recognised in their field.’
‘I watched the team take on an enormous piece of litigation very much at the last minute and they had an encyclopaedic knowledge of the papers. They are good advocates and extremely talented lawyers.’
‘Very modern and fluid approach.’
‘Excellence across all disciplines with a cohesive and effective collaborative approach within Jersey and through other jurisdictions. A true one-stop shop for serious Channel Island commercial disputes.’
‘Damian James and Nuno Santos-Costa are standout partners.’
‘Senior associate Sam Williams is a real star and a very promising advocate. He is also a very sound lawyer.’
‘Dan Boxall has an incredible eye for detail and considers every angle with great intellect.’
‘Damian James is always articulate and practical.’
‘Personable, client focused and legally gifted, the service offered is pretty perfect. Swift turn-arounds on complex issues and invariably spot-on in their advice and tactical nous.’
Beresford Services Limited
Estera Trust (Jersey) Limited
Estera Trust (Isle of Man) Limited
Equiom (Jersey) Limited
Grant Thornton Limited
Vistra Trust Company (Jersey) Limited
Edwin Coe LLP
Farrer & Co
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Mishcon de Reya
Reynolds Porter Chamberlain
Vinson & Elkins
Zurich Insurance Company
Natwest Isle of Man
Andium Homes Limited
Dandara Jersey Limited
The Liberation Group Limited
Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Plc
Law Officers’ Department
- Successfully halved Appleby Trust’s liability to pay equitable compensation in the high-profile Crociani litigation.
- Acting for Robert Tchenguiz and two corporate trustees in connection with an ongoing, multi-faceted contentious trust dispute with Rawlinson & Hunter Trustees.
- Acting for Salzgitter Mannesmann International in connection to the winding up of five insolvent Jersey companies on a just and equitable basis.
- Instructed by HMRC on an urgent basis to apply to intervene in an application brought by the trustee-in-bankruptcy of a former billionaire made bankrupt in England.
- Instructed by Alan Roberts and Jamie Toynton of Grant Thornton who were appointed by the Royal Court in September 2017 as receivers over a promissory note in the value of €52m.
Dickinson Gleeson attracts an expanding client roster of trust companies, financial institutions, ultra-high-net-worth individuals and Jersey-based businesses. The core of the offering includes contentious trust, shareholder and insolvency disputes, and the team often handles asset tracing, fraud and employment disputes. Commercial, trust and regulatory litigator Robert Christie was elected to the partnership, joining James Dickinson and James Gleeson.
James Dickinson; James Gleeson
Other key lawyers:
‘A veritable litigation force with a client-care that is second-to-none‘
‘Dickinson Gleeson holds its own against any and all of the firms in Jersey, even the larger ones‘
‘Dickinson Gleeson punches well above its weight by its stellar knowledge and experience of Jersey law‘
‘James Dickinson is a seriously clever chap who comes up with imaginative solutions to the most horrible legal problems‘
‘James Dickinson is able, sensible and very articulate‘
‘James Gleeson is very bright‘
‘James Gleeson works exceptionally hard for his clients. An excellent cross-examiner‘
‘James Dickinson works exceptionally hard for his clients. He takes complex litigation in his stride and assembles detailed facts and arguments into a clear and persuasive form‘
‘James Dickinson remains impressively hardworking, focused and committed and continues to offers prompt, high quality and pragmatic legal advice‘
‘Robert Christie is very bright and a pleasure to deal with‘
Rawlinson & Hunter Trustees S.A.
RBC Trust Company
Rossborough Insurance (Jersey) Limited
Trident Trust Company
- Acting for the new trustee, Ocorian, in the long-running Crociani litigation.
- Representing Rawlinson & Hunter in £72.5m of negligence claims against a former trustee for breaches of duty.
- Acting for entrepreneur Richard Campbell in a long-running dispute concerning the recovery of assets (disputed value of £27m).
- Acting for R. A. Rossborough in a £750,000 property dispute.
- Advising Geneva Trust Company on the restructuring of eight connected Jersey trusts, where two are insolvent and face multiple claims to their assets.
Ogier’s dispute resolution team, led by Nick Williams , covers a range of high-value work. On top of its relationship with the corporate team handling court-sanctioned schemes of arrangement takeovers, fully contentious work includes trust litigation (including breach of duty matters), civil fraud claims, professional negligence claims and intellectual property litigation. the practice retains a strong client portfolio of institutional clients in the financial services, trust and insolvency fields. The firm also saw the addition of counsel Damian Evans from WALKERS who, alongside Edward Mackereth and Oliver Passmore, brings substantial expertise in trusts law as well as experience in TIEAs applications. In September 2019, the firm also added Nic Journeaux, previously of the London office of Carey Olsen. Nigel Sanders moved in the opposite direction to Evans.
‘An excellent set of lawyers‘
‘The team is approachable, knowledgeable and responsive‘
‘The team has vast experience in high-quality, multi-jurisdictional trust and commercial litigation‘
‘Knowledgeable and responsive‘
‘Edward Mackereth is a very astute litigator with a good sense for the right answer to a problem‘
‘Nick Williams is unflappable and a calm advocate‘
‘Edward Mackereth, Nick Williams and James Angus are measured, capable individuals who are approachable and empathetic‘
Rawlinson & Hunter
Zedra Trust Company (Jersey) Limited
Canaccord Wealth Genuity
The Viscount of Jersey
Parish Of St. Helier
Intermediate Capital Group
United Company Rusal
Northern Trust Fiduciary Services (Guernsey) Limited
Intertrust Fiduciary Services (Jersey) Limited
Equity Trust (Jersey) Limited
First Abu Dhabi Bank PJSC
- Represented Takeda Pharmaceuticals in its £46bn acquisition of Shire by scheme of arrangement.
- Successfully represented Zedra Trust Company (Jersey) in an application seeking to set aside both the settlement and termination of two family trusts on grounds of tax consequences.
WALKERS’ dispute resolution practice has seen significant recent expansion, as exemplified by the recruitment of Nigel Sanders as head of the practice, greatly enhancing its expertise in international trust, commercial litigation and insolvency matters. Marc Seddon continues to be a go-to name in contentious trust and commercial litigation. The firm’s substantial global footprint also makes it well placed to handle cross-border insolvency matters. Senior associate James Turnbull is routinely praised by clients for his expertise in trust, fraud and commercial litigation. The office also includes group partner Fraser Hern, who relocated from Hong Kong in July 2018, bringing with him experience of litigation in the British Virgin Islands, where he is admitted.
Nigel Sanders; Marc Seddon; Fraser Hern
Other key lawyers:
‘Pragmatic and very commercially minded‘
‘A very solid team‘
‘James Turnbull is a good all-round litigator, an effective court advocate and experienced and knowledgeable about trusts, insolvency and company matters‘
‘Marc Seddon is extremely approachable and commercially minded; always thinking of the long term relationship‘
‘Marc Seddon is a leading light in the dispute team who is trusted by his clients to deliver. Responsive and commercial‘
‘Fraser Hern gives good, experienced advice‘
Botas International Limited
Consolidated Minerals Ltd
United Energy Group Plc
STM Fiduciaire Limited
Jersey Mutual Insurance Society
- Representing the trustee of five charitable sub-trusts in the Trilogy Management Litigation.
- Representing Consolidated Minerals Limited in constructive dismissal and breach of contract litigation.
- Instructed by Botas International to contest the enforcement of arbitration awards amounting to in excess of £100m made against Turkish state-owned companies.
- Advising Jersey Mutual Insurance Society on a significant fraud uncovered involving a former senior employee.
- Advised and acted for United Energy Group, the purchaser by a scheme of arrangement, relating to the purchase of shares in Kuwait Energy Group.
BCR Law has a healthy list of local clients, who regularly instruct the team on insurance-backed work such as high-value clinical negligence, professional negligence and personal injury claims as well as more general commercial disputes. David Benest and Jeremy Heywood also have experience in contentious trust matters, property disputes and criminal law. Jean-Marie Renouf and Mark Renouf are now at Noirmont Consulting.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very knowledgeable and instills confidence‘
‘A driven team that will go the extra mile‘
Berrymans Lace Mawer
Ageas Insurance Limited
Alex Picot Group
Channel Islands Cooperative Society
His Excellency the Lieutenant Governor
Holman Fenwick Willan
Insurance Corporation of the Channel Islands
Jersey Financial Services Commission
Jersey General Hospital
LGL Trustees Limited
Medical Defence Union
Minister for Health & Social Services
Payne Hicks Beach
States of Jersey
- Instructed by two siblings in a negligence claim against the Minister for Health & Social Services.
- Instructed by The Jersey Financial Services Commission to defend an appeal against decisions made by the commission to remove a regulated entity’s registration.
- Instructed by Aviva to recover costs paid out to an insured.
- Instructed by Graham Pallot to bring an appeal of a decision by the Minister for Planning & Environment to refuse the client’s planning application.
- Instructed by Petroleum Distributors (Jersey) to defend the client against a prosecution under Jersey’s health and safety legislation.
Previously known for its corporate services offering, Noirmont Law LLP entered the dispute resolution market with the recruitment of Mark Renouf and Jean-Marie Renouf from BCR Law. The team has a track record of commercial litigation, trust disputes, employment litigation, shareholder litigation and professional negligence cases. Regular clients include HNWIs, trustees, beneficiaries and local companies.
Other key lawyers:
- Represented a subsidiary of Kreston concerning the rectification of numerous historic Jersey trusts administered in other jurisdictions.
- Represented Bowls Clubs in lengthy, multi-party proceedings involving multiple courts concerning membership rights.
Dispute resolution boutique Oben Law has a highly-praised and sought-after suite of advocates with a solid client list including local and international banks, trust companies, insolvency practitioners, directors of insolvent companies and corporate service providers. The ‘technically excellent’ David Wilson and ‘first-class litigator’ Simon Franckel are key names for trust disputes, many of which with elements of fraud and asset tracing and anti-money laundering matters. The firm also handles insolvency litigation, professional negligence matters (some of which for other law firms) and shareholder disputes.
Simon Franckel; David Wilson
‘David Wilson is very practical and commercial in his approach‘
‘Oben’s emphasis on availability and service time response is what sets the firm apart from competitors in the Jersey legal market‘
‘An extremely knowledgeable team and extremely pleasant to deal with‘
‘A high-performance team that compliments each other well‘
‘A quality boutique law firm with excellent technical competence and good partner accessibility‘
‘David Wilson is personable, professional, and has the knowledge and experience to be able to get to the crux of the matter straight away‘
‘David Wilson is an enormously talented disputes lawyer and his user-friendliness is what makes him different from competitors‘
‘Simon Franckel’s knowledge relating to data protection is outstanding and invaluable‘
‘Simon is very personable, proactive and offers practical, commercial advice and solutions‘
‘Simon Franckel is a reliable, pragmatic, dependable, straight-talking lawyer who provides excellent advice and pragmatic solutions for clients‘
Dubai Islamic Bank PJSC
- Acted for Dubai Investment Bank in an action to set aside a Jersey trust, administered by Citigroup, on the basis that it comprised the proceeds of a $432m fraud.
- Continuing to act for the Viscount of the Royal Court of Jersey in a challenge to an administered bankruptcy.
- Advising directors of FCM on a hard-fought dispute between its beneficial owners, who are brothers.
Sinels often represents individuals and companies in mid-level domestic commercial disputes including breach of contract claims, defamation cases, property litigation, professional negligence and trust disputes. The team also provides expertise in fraud and asset recovery and insolvency matters. In addition, Steven Chiddicks also has expertise in construction disputes, having represented both employers and contractors in recent instructions. Philip Sinel is the firm's name partner.
Philip Sinel; Steven Chiddicks; Robin Leeuwenburg
‘A first-rate litigation firm‘
‘A strong boutique law firm with a reputation for taking the tough fights and getting stuck in‘
‘Sinels’ reputation on the island is for tough litigation, often coming up against big opponents and Jersey establishment‘
‘Tenacious and tactically astute litigators‘
‘Philip Sinel is extremely experienced and something of a tactical visionary‘
‘Steven Chiddicks is very hard-working and popular with clients‘
‘Steven Chiddicks is extremely conscientious, hard-working and fully up to speed on litigation strategy. A stand-out partner‘
F Nicholson & Sons Limited
Auriel Capital Limited
Alpha Strategies Limited
- Representing surgeon Amar Alwitry in an £8m breach of contract claim against the States Employment Board for dismissal after patient safety concerns were raised.
- Representing building contractor Camerons Limited in a dispute over a multimillion-pound property development.
- Representing Auriel Capital Limited in action taken against a disgruntled rouge ex-employee investor.
- Represented two businessmen (John Freeman and David Davies) in a defamation claim against a former business partner.
Boutique firm Ward Yates, previously known exclusively for its corporate, finance and trusts work, recently recruited the 'formidable' Elena Moran from Collas Crill to lead its dispute resolution practice. The firm now offers its roster of clients in the corporate and commercial, banking and finance and private client spheres contentious expertise covering matters including breach of fiduciary duty claims, Hastings-Bass applications and commercial litigation. Defamation is another area of expertise; Moran spent eight years in-house at the BBC.
‘Elena Moran is an able and independent-minded lawyer who is able to take on complicated, bespoke tasks‘
‘Elena is exceptionally clever. She gets to grip with complex disputes rapidly‘
‘Elena is a tenacious advocate. She is energetic and shows great commitment to her clients‘
‘Elena Moran is a fiercely bright and energetic lawyer, dogged in pursuit of her client’s interests, with a shrewd tactical brain and a good sense of how to persuade a court‘
‘Elena Moran always looks to provide the best service for her clients‘
Tepe Inșaat Sanayi AS
Sanne Fiduciary Services Limited
Ocorian Services Limited
RBC Trustees Limited
- Acting for Tepe Inșaat Sanayi AS in a long-running dispute with a state owned entity over the enforcement of various ICC arbitration awards.