Banking and finance in Isle Of Man
Appleby handles a range of corporate and banking work, and in particular has well-established relationships with a number of leading banks. Faye Moffett is a key contact for finance, while Juan Thornley's practice includes heavyweight banking regulation work and debt capital markets. Kyle Sutherland, who is also qualified in the British Virgin Islands, has capital markets expertise, as well as handling bank lending. Simon Harding is another key contact, while Andrew Harding has joined DQ via Appleby's Guernsey office.
‘Very thorough in its approach and innovative with the solutions it comes up with.’
‘The team is quick to understand transactions and what is required from an offshore law firm.’
‘Tom Brook is commercial while taking the time to understand the structure of a transaction.’
Allied Irish Bank
Santander UK Plc
Nationwide Building Society
Montreux Healthcare Fund
- Advised the Luxembourg branch of Bank of China on its financing of China Investment Corporation’s €12.2bn purchase of Logicor from Blackstone.
- Advised Playtech on placing €530m of senior secured notes due in 2023, in order to refinance a bridging loan it used to purchase Snaitech.
- Advised Terra Capital, an AIM-listed real estate fund, on a redemption of ordinary shares.
- Advised Lloyds Bank on providing a £30m refinancing facility to Lloyds Bank.
Cains advises on cross-border finance work, with practice head Tim Shepherd handling a number of complex financing transactions concerning both Manx businesses as well as other challenging jurisdictions. In the capital markets space, the team also works with both issuers and investment banks. Tristan Head has a track record of both note issuances and DCM restructuring issues. Securitisation is another area of expertise.
Other key lawyers:
Tristan Head; Scott Leonard-Morgan; Stephanie Chew; Catherine Hammill
‘The banking team provides clients with high-quality assistance in a timely manner – the personable approach of the team makes collaborating with them a pleasant experience.’
‘The lawyers do not just tell clients what the law says, but explains how it will effect the client’s transaction – and a genuinely nice bunch of people to work with, too.’
‘Matthew Quinn is extremely responsive and offers practical and sound advice in a highly personable manner.’
‘Stephanie Chew is very impressive.’
‘Tristan Head has a calm and welcoming manner – he can defuse tough stakeholders through his balanced and well-reasoned approach.’
Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank
Europe Arab Bank
Levine Leichtman Capital Partners
National Bank of Kuwait
PGIM Real Estate Partners
- Advised The Stars Group, which owns PokerStars, on the financing of its acquisition of Sky Betting and Gaming through both revolving and term loans and the issuance of unsecured senior notes.
- Advised a consortium of banks including Deutsche Banka and HSBC on financing SGG Group’s purchase of First Names Groups from AnaCap.
- Advised the finance parties and the joint lead managers, via Linklaters in London, on Playtech’s issuance of €350m of senior secured notes, and borrowing €1.29bn through term and revolving multi-currency facilities.
- Advised Elli Financing on Four Seasons Health Care Group’s debt.
- Advised Tullow Oil on issuing $800m of senior notes due in 2025.
DQ handles a diverse range of work in the finance space, including financial services transactions, insolvency work, debt capital markets matters and Manx-listed funds. Mark Dougherty is a key contact in the team, which has asset finance expertise and also strong relationships with Irish law firms. Adam Killip, a new senior associate promotion, is a key name below partner level. Former senior associate Hazel Dawson left to join Keystone Law in early 2019. Stephen Dougherty is now at FinLaw, a new player in the Douglas market.
Crossing over with its corporate practice, Keystone Law has a particular strength in real estate finance. Sally Cranshaw and Geoff Kermeen have expertise in financing of UK real estate, as does William Margot. Hazel Dawson joined from DQ, bringing with her high-yield expertise.
Stephen Rodd; Geoff Kermeen
Royal Bank of Scotland
Rockspring Property Investment Managers
- Advised HIRO Group on a refinancing of a portfolio of hotels, cinemas and restaurants in London’s West End.
- Advised RBS on, among other UK real estate transactions, the refinancing of a £30m loan secured on retail property in Corby.
- Advised Metro Bank on a £13.5m secured loan to Aprirose for its purchase of 25 pubs.
At Simcocks, Alex Spencer has a track record of handling finance work, particularly covering cross-border security issues. The firm acts for well-known banks, as well as handling borrower-side fund finance work.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has vast experience, which is immediately apparent in its ability to deal with complex transactions in an efficient and practical manner.’
‘The firm draws on technical knowledge to provide creative solutions.’