IT and telecoms in Indonesia
Assegaf Hamzah & Partners has a broad TMT practice which covers areas such as over-the-top services, software, data, fintech and social media. Zacky Hussein leads the practice and has extensive experience in advising on technology-related regulations and transactions. Other notable names include senior associate Muhammad Iqsan Sirie, who is experienced in TMT transactions, and Surabaya-based associate Andin Aditya Rahman, who focuses on regulatory issues.
XL Axiata Tbk.
Amanda Cipta Persada
Mulia Sukses Mandiri
Pasifik Satelit Nusantara
UangMe Fintek Indonesia
- Advised Amanda Cipta Persada and Mulia Sukses Mandiri on the 51% acquisition of telecoms tower company Visi Telekomunikasi Infrastruktur from Tower Bersama Infrastructure.
- Acted as legal adviser to XL Axiata on the issuance of domestic bonds and sukuk amounting to IDR2tn.
- Acting as general counsel to Pasifik Satelit Nusantara on the bidding process for Indonesia’s first multifunctional satellite project worth $421.9m.
- Registered UangMe with the financial regulatory authorities under a peer-to-peer lending regulation.
- Providing legal and tax analysis of a video streaming business and conducting a market entry investigation for a China-based video streaming company.
Bagus Enrico & Partners (BE Partners) advises a number of multinational tech companies on commercial agreements, transactions, regulations, data protection and licensing. Enrico Iskandar co-heads the practice and focuses on advisory and transactional work.
‘The firm has a sophisticated understanding of the media sector regulatory framework and the local media market, as well as great local insight into the practical application of the law and regulations.’
‘Enrico Iskander is very responsive and good to deal with.’
- Advising WhatsApp on data protection issues and regulatory compliance.
- Advised Dyson on data protection issues.
- Assisted Lycamobile with its commercial agreement with network operator Axiata concerning mobile services in Indonesia.
- Advised Aeris Communications on potential regulatory and licensing issues relating to the implementation of IoT automotive services and connectivity.
- Advised Vodafone on various regulatory and licensing issues relating to VoIP services, fixed IPVPN services and direct internet access.
Ginting & Reksodiputro in association with Allen & Overy
Ginting & Reksodiputro in association with Allen & Overy advises on a range of technology and telecoms deals, including M&A, takeovers, private equity, joint ventures, disposals and restructurings. Sugianto Osman is a key name and has represented local tech unicorns on their investments and capital raising. Corporate lawyer Harun Reksodiputro is also very active in this space.
Sugianto Osman; Harun Reksodiputro
- Advised Axiata on a proposed joint venture with Princeton Digital Group that will carry out the business of data centre ownership and development in Indonesia.
- Advising Tokopedia, an Indonesian online marketplace, on its $1.1bn series F fundraising led by SoftBank Vision Fund and one of China’s largest e-commerce and digital companies.
- Acted as Indonesian legal adviser to Gojek on its first series F funding round led by Google, JD.com and Tencent, as well as several other investors including Mitsubishi Corporation and Provident Capital.
- Assisted Halodoc with preparing and negotiating the transaction documents with respect to the $65m series B fundraising with its investors.
- Advised Gojek on the acquisition of three Indonesian fintech companies.
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie has extensive experience in handling M&A, joint ventures, licensing and regulatory matters in the sector. At the helm, Mark Innis regularly advises multinational technology companies on regulations, domain name acquisitions, cloud computing and data privacy. He is supported by Daniel Pardede, who is an expert in M&A and joint ventures, and Iqbal Darmawan, who focuses on capital markets and private equity transactions.
‘The team has a wealth of knowledge and has a deep understanding of applicable local laws.’
‘Mark Innis is a great partner to source legal advice from and collaborate with to figure out the solution to a problem.’
Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung in association with Herbert Smith Freehills' corporate team has a strong presence in the TMT space, most notably in the fintech sector. Sakurayuki is the most prominent figure in this area and is highly skilled in M&A as well as advising on regulatory issues. David Dawborn, who heads the corporate team, is also regulalry instructed by technology and telecoms companies on major deals and financings.
Sakurayuki; David Dawborn
- Represented Alibaba Group, through Taobao China Holding Limited, in its subscription of 883,658 series G shares in Tokopedia valued at $1.1bn
- Represented Alipay, Ant Financial’s payment business, in its $40m investment in 20% of the shares in Akulaku by way of a series D funding round.
- Acted for API (Hong Kong) Investment Limited, a subsidiary of Ant Financial, on a minority series EE share investment in Indonesian online marketplace Bukalapak by new investors.
- Advised Axiata Digital Services on a $20m investment by Sumitomo Corporation into its subsidiary Ada, the digital advertising business of Axiata Group Berhad.
- Acted for Keppel Group on its proposed joint venture with the Salim Group to develop a data centre park in Indonesia.
K&K Advocates covers issues such as broadcasting, IT contracts, advertising and marketing, and website blockage lifting. Justisiari Kusumah heads the practice and is notably skilled in issues such as data protection and cybersecurity.
SES FWD Group
Willis Tower Watson
- Advising Konami on gaming and personal data protection matters.
- Providing HBO Asia with advice in relation to the copyright aspects of its online streaming platform HBO Go.
- Assisting FinAccel with its acquisition of FinAccel Digital Indonesia.
- Advising Activision Blizzard on a potential commercial agreement with an Indonesian company.
- Reviewing and negotiating IT contracts relating to data for Zalora.
SSEK Legal Consultants' TMT team is a prominent player in Indonesia's growing fintech sector and regularly advises on regulations, licensing, data protection and transactions. Fahrul Yusuf co-heads the practice and is an expert in advising international clients entering the Indonesian market through M&A and joint ventures. Michael Carl also leads the team and has a similar focus on acting on corporate transactions within the fintech sector. Another key figure is Denny Rahmansyah, whose standout strengths are in data protection and privacy issues.
Fahrul Yusuf; Michael Carl
Other key lawyers:
SoftBank Vision Fund
- Advised SoftBank Vision Fund as part of its $1bn investment in Grab
- Advised SoftBank Vision Fund on its strategic investment into Tokopedia.
- Acted as Indonesian counsel for Grab on the acquisition of Uber’s business and assets in Indonesia.
- Advised WeWork on entering the Indonesian market.
- Advised Xiaomi on its foreign investment in Indonesia.
ABNR Counsellors at Law's repertoire in the area includes advising on M&A, joint ventures, regulations, data protection, cybersecurity and fintech. Agus Ahadi Deradjat heads the team and acts for both international and domestic technology companies on M&A and joint ventures. Another important figure is Emir Nurmansyah, who is an expert in the telecoms sector, particularly in satellite financing. Kevin Sidharta has been instructed by household names in the technology sector concerning potential acquisitions in Indonesia. Also recommended is Freddy Karyadi, who is particularly strong in fintech, and Theodoor Bakker, who is notably active in data protection matters.
Agus Ahadi Deradjat
Pasific Satellite Nusantara
Hutchison CP Telecommunications
The Nielsen Company
- Acting as Indonesian counsel to Bank of China in respect of its $153m loan facility to PT Palapa Satelit Nusa Sejahtera for the procurement of the Palapa N1 satellite.
- Acted as counsel to Mitsubishi on its investment in PT Aplikasi Karya Anak Bangsa, the parent company of ride-hailing app Gojek, and a range of other app-based service providers.
- Advised Mediacorp on the sale of a majority interest in PT KapanLagi Dot Com Networks to publicly listed PT Elang Mahkota Teknologi by way of a subscription to new shares.
- Assisted Dynamo Media Network with the investment it received from Gojek towards the development of its social media platform Kumparan.
- Advised Trina Group on the Indonesian aspects of its global acquisition of online travel company Kuoni Holdings, which is owned by Switzerland-based Kuoni Reisen Holding AG.
AKSET Law's skill set in this space covers advising on corporate matters concerning fintech, telecoms and data protection. Abadi Abi Tisnadisastra leads the team and is highly experienced in handling TMT deals.
Abadi Abi Tisnadisastra
Hanafiah Ponggawa & Partners advises on corporate deals covering information technology, fintech and telecoms. Andre Rahadian leads the team and regularly acts for foreign investors on their TMT-related investments in Indonesia. Also recommended is Erwin Kurnia Winenda, who is particularly strong in advising on fintech regulations.
Other key lawyers:
Akulaku Silvrr Indonesia
Pinduit Teknologi Indonesia
Mitrausaha Indonesia Group
Digital Alpha Indonesia
Walletku Indompet Indonesia
MPP Sistem Indonesia
- Advised fintech company FinAccel on its series B funding from Square Peg Capital.
- Assisted with the establishment of the P2P company Pinduit Teknologi Indonesia.
Makarim & Taira S.' skill set in this space involves advising on transactions, disputes and regulatory issues. Maria Sagrado leads the team and is very active in advising on fintech regulations and transactions. Managing partner Lia Alizia is also a key figure and regularly acts for TMT clients in disputes. Also highly recommended is Teddy Achmad Suprijadi, who is an expert in advising on transactions involving the technology sector.
‘Provides clients with clear and proper communication.’
WeLab Quest Limited
HBO Pacific Partners, V.O.F
- Assisting and advising WeLab Quest Limited in relation to a joint venture transaction with PT Sedaya Multi Investama (part of Astra Group) for its peer-to-peer lending activities.
- Advising HBO Pacific Partners on a potential dispute with its business partner (PT Mega Media Indonesia).
Rajamada & Partners has expertise in both contentious and non-contentious issues facing technology companies, and is increasingly active in fields such as artificial intelligence and blockchain. Mada Silalahi leads the team and is experienced in handling IT contracts, as well as advising on licensing and compliance with new platforms.
Other key lawyers:
Adam Khaliq Soelaiman
- Represented Grab in a complex case involving the use of artificial intelligence before the competition body.
- Acted for PT Waqara Jasa Bangsa on the launch its digital platform for Muslim pilgrimage management.
- Acted for Grab in a complex IT fraud case involving the use of its ride-hailing platform.
UMBRA – Strategic Legal Solutions
UMBRA – Strategic Legal Solutions advises technology and telecoms companies on all aspects of corporate law. Transactions specialist Putu Raditya Nugraha leads the team and stands out for his work in the fintech sector. Other key figures include managing partner Pramudya Oktavinanda, who is an expert in cross-border transactions, and Ahmad Zakaria, who focuses on capital markets.
Putu Raditya Nugraha
Pembangkitan Jawa Bali
Line Plus Indonesia
- Representing Telekomunikasi Indonesia and PT Telekomunikasi Selular on its strategic investment in and development of mobile payment plaform LinkAja
- Representing Visionet Internasional in its acquisition of a peer-to-peer lending company to expand its business strategy in Indonesia.
- Advising Line Plus on the structuring of its business activities in Indonesia.
- Providing legal advice on the structure of PayJoy’s proposed business activities in Indonesia.
- Representing Dayamitra Telekomunikasi in the acquisition of a major telco tower company with more than 1,000 towers.
Widyawan & Partners
Widyawan & Partners' experienced corporate team has a growing presence in the TMT sector, with a client roster that features tech companies that are known in both Indonesia and internationally. Yolanda Hutapea is one of two practice heads and advises on M&A, capital investment and general corporate issues. Also leading the team is David Holme, who is known for his work on M&A transactions.
Yolanda Hutapea; David Holme
True Digital & Media
- Advised True Digital and Media Platform on its indirect investment into Media Putra Nusantara , a Jakarta-headquartered business in the TMT sector, by way of subscription for newly issued shares in PT Media’s Singapore fundraising vehicle IDN Media.
- Advised Indies Capital Partners on an up to $12.5m financing to Literati Capital Investments Limited.