Firms in the Spotlight Intellectual property
Krishna & Saurastri Associates LLP
The firm: Krishna & Saurastri Associates LLP is a full-service intellectual property and technology law firm focused on rendering business-friendly legal advice. The firm was formed in 1992 and merged with a law practice set up in 1956. Ever since, the firm has been navigating complex IP and techno-legal issues for its diverse client base. To …View Profile...
Gopakumar Nair Associates
The firm: Gopakumar Nair Associates (GNAs®) is a premier intellectual property consultancy and legal advisory firm providing high-quality legal and technical solutions for companies in the biotechnology, biomedical, chemical, healthcare, pharmaceutical, and other knowledge-based industries.View Profile...
Intellectual property in India
Anand and Anand is a full-service IP boutique fielding experts in all litigation and prosecution services. Managing partner Pravin Anand represents multinational pharmaceuticals companies in high-stakes patent litigation, including novel High Court proceedings concerning genus and species patents. Vaishali Mittal is a leading name in patented technology litigation, specifically regarding standard essential patents in the telecoms sector. Patent attorney Arpita Kulshretha regularly assists with prosecutions, revocations before the IPAB and oppositions before the Indian Patent Office. Trade mark filing and oppositions and copyright licensing services are also handled by the team which includes Dhruv Anand and associate Siddhant Chamola.
- Represented AstraZeneca in Astrazeneca Vs. Shiv Shivam Pharma in patent infringement proceedings conderning the client’s Dapagliflozin drug.
- Represented Ferid Allani in Ferid Allani v. Union of India & Ors., which successfully sought to determine the patentability of web search-related inventions.
- Represented Bristol-Mayers Squibb Holdings in Bristol –Myers Squibb Holdings Ireland Unlimited Company & Ors. v, Torrent Pharmaceuticals Limited, which claimed infringement of the molecular compound of the client’s anticoagulant drug APIXABAN. An injunction was successfully granted.
R. K. Dewan & Co. provides an impressive bench of IP litigation experts under the leadership of practice heads Mohan Dewan and Nirbhay Bhardwaj. Tailored to represented domestic clients in high-stakes disputes, the team is regularly instructed by pharmaceuticals, technology, telecoms, FMCG, agriculture and other clients in cutting-edge sectors to handle patent and trade mark infringement and passing off disputes before the upper courts. Co-head Disha Dewan is a go-to name for technology transfers in the biotechnology field. An expansive team of prosecution and filing experts assists high-profile domestic clients with global enforcement strategy, leveraged by the establishment of liaison offices in the US and China. Key names on this side include co-head Dinesh Nair for trade marks and co-head Niti Dewan for patents.
‘Very responsive and helpful, providing useful and timely advice at comparatively affordable rates.‘
‘Mohan Dewan provides helpful advice at quick turnaround times and is personable. Disha Dewan is friendly and helpful as well.‘
Borosil Glass Works Limited
Tata Consultancy Services & Tata Classedge
Reliance Industries Limited
Parle Products Ltd.
Electronica Hitech Machine Tools Pvt. Ltd
Xiaomi Corporation (Chinese electronics company)
National Stock Exchange
Forbes Marshall Pvt. Ltd.
National Payment Corporation of India
Indofil Industries Limited
Carl Freudenberg KG
To add mor
- Advised and filed multiple trade marks for the five-time Grammy winning music artist Billie Eilish for the word mark ‘BILLIE ELISH’ and the Blohsh Man logo.
- Advising Reliance Industries Limited and its various subsidiaries extensively on its patent strategy in India and internationally in 10+ technology sectors.
- Managing the National Stock Exchange’s trade mark portfolio, which currently comprises 900+ domestic marks and 100+ foreign applications in several countries.
Full-service IP boutique Remfry & Sagar has robust, dedicated teams covering the breadth of soft and hard IP services. On top of Pankaj Soni’s patent infringement litigation successes for chemicals clients and the high rate of complex patent prosecutions for hi-tech clients led by managing partner Ashwin Julka, the team also handles extensive patent transactions and commercialisation projects. The trade mark, copyright and geographical indications team, which includes Devika Mehra, Samta Mehra and Vishnumohan Rethinam, conducts global filings, oppositions, enforcements and commercialisation projects. Furthermore, the team is leading the market in the emerging field of litigation concerning geographical indicators. C. A. Brijesh is a go-to name for domain name disputes, Ranjna Mehta-Dutt has a focus on the life sciences sector and Gaurav Mukerjee provides expert advice on anti-counterfeiting strategy.
Other key lawyers:
- Successfully represented Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corporation in Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corporation vs. Kishor D Jain & Anr. in litigation concerning the counterfeit of client’s iron pipes products.
- Represented Consorzio Di Tutela Della Denominazione Di Origine Controllate Prosecco against De Bortoli Wines & Anr. in geographical indication litigation safeguarding the rights of Prosecco.
- Advising Acko General Insurance & Coverfox Broking Insurance in developing strategy to protect and expand their brands in the world market.
Chadha & Chadha IP
Chadha & Chadha IP is engaged by global clients across all major jurisdictions for patent portfolio management and enforcement. Co-heads Chetan Chadha and Gopal Trivedi tackle oppositions and litigation in highly complex sectors including medicine, electronics, optical equipment and telecoms. Co-head Shivarpita Nailwal manages extensive patent portfolios in the life sciences fields, including biotechnology, immunology and microbiology, while co-head Tarun Gandhi manages portfolios for hi-tech clients. Co-head Sonal Madan handles soft IP matters including the acquisition, protection, exploitation, and enforcement of trade marks and copyright assets.
‘The strength of the IP practice of Chadha & Chadha is their individual capabilities.‘
JFE STEEL CORPORATION
One Plus Technology Shenzhen
Great Wall Motor Co.
Vivo Mobile Communication Co. Ltd
Futbol Club Barcelona
Tencent Holdings Ltd.
MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
SHAREit (HK) Technology Limited
Tetra Laval Group / TETRA PAK
- Successfully assisted Prada with protecting and enforcing its name against multiple entities using marks that were deceptively similar to the client’s.
- Handled several patent applications for JFE Steel, one of the renowned steel-making companies engaged in the total steel-making process.
- Assisted Kerakoll with its enforcement activities in India. In one such matter, The client came across use of an identical mark CERAKOLL for identical products with identical trade dress and style of mark. Assisted the client with enforcement of its rights by filing a suit for trade mark infringement and passing off of its reputed brand.
Patent prosecution services at Inttl Advocare have been strengthened by the recruitment of Rahul Adey from Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co, who has a particular focus on cutting-edge and tech-forward sectors including AI, telecoms, software development and consumer electronics. Practice head Hemant Singh and Mamta Rani Jha lead on IP litigation, and are currently engaged in a high volume of trade mark and copyright infringement and passing-off disputes for clothing brands, retailers, FMCG suppliers and alcoholic beverages companies. Domain name and cybersquatting disputes are also handled.
BENNETT, COLEMAN & CO. LTD. (The Times Group)
TTK Prestige Ltd.
Societe des Produits Nestlé, S.A
Dart Industries Inc. (“Tupperware”)
- Successfully defended Nestlé India in a passing-off suit filed by ITC over usage of the work ‘magic’ in each’s noodle brands.
- Represtened Dart Industries in Dart Industries Inc. v. Trendsutra Platform Services Private Limited & Ors,. in litigation pertaining to unlawful online sale of client’s products under the trademark TUPPERWARE by third parties and related issues of infringement, exhaustion of rights and legitimate reasons to oppose further sale of genuine products.
- Represented Adidas in an injunction restricting the manufacture and selling of shoes bearing the well-known and distinctive THREE-STRIPES device mark of the client.
Recent contentious highlights for Khaitan & Co LLP’s IP practice saw Ajay Bhargava handling copyright infringement litigation before the High Court for clients in the digital media sector and practice co-heads Adheesh Nargolkar and Smriti Yadav handling copyright and design litigation for high-profile automotive clients. Patent and trade mark prosecutions are routinely handled by the team, including opposition and enforcement strategy. Commercial IP and transactional matters are also strong points; co-head Shailendra Bhandare acts for global clients on high-value portfolio acquisitions, exploitation strategy and IP-rich joint ventures. The team expanded its IP transactional offering with the hire of Nirupam Lodha who joined from L&L Partners Law Offices in May 2021.
Other key lawyers:
‘We have worked with this firm over a good few years in India. We like this firm for their quick turnaround and comprehensive advice.‘
‘Shailendra Bhandare is a wonderful practitioner particularly in the trade mark arena: commercially astute, proactive and knowledgeable.‘
‘Highly accomplished and motivated team backed by leaders who have extensive domain knowledge.‘
‘Has the unique elements of a boutique IP firm blended into full service firm.‘
‘Adheesh Nargolkar and Shailendra Bhandare stand out as being exceptional professionals. Ethics, professionalism, competence & domain expertise are the pillars on which their practice and service delivery is based. They never short change and go the extra mile to ensure that their client gets the best. They lead by example and their intense passion and dedication is infectious and their team resonates these values. They are honest and never mislead their clients for commercial gains, which is a very critical characteristic.‘
Ambuja Cements Limited
TVS Motor Company
upGrad Education Pvt. Ltd
Beam Suntory Group
MASCHINENFABRIK RIETER AG
Godrej Group Companies
Tata Group Companies
Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd
Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
Pidilite Industries Ltd.
- Successfully represented Saregama in a copyright Infringement matter against Spotify before the Delhi High Court.
- Successfully strategised and advised Hindustan Unilever Limited in an action for slander of goods, disparagement and infringement of trade mark and copyright before the Bombay High Court, against Reckitt Benckiser
- Advising Reliance Industries Limited on the IP aspects of its joint venture with BP. The parties intend to expand these businesses from the existing 1,400 retail outlets and 30 aviation fuel stations and operate them under joint branding.
Tarvinder Singh, co-head of Kochhar & Co.’s IP practice, assists technology, defence, consumer electronics and heavy industry clients with portfolio management, infringement claims and commercialisation deals. A robust IP enforcement and opposition offering is provided to the multinational client roster. Co-head Savitha Kesav Jagadeesan provides expertise in procuring Geographical Indication tags, recently for high-profile religious institutions, while Lynn Lazaro is highly praised for her IP prosecution expertise. The team also fields expertise in domain name arbitrations arising from improper third-party registrations. A substantial list of clients in the public sector also retains the team for general IP advice.
Other key lawyers:
‘The partners are accessible and knowledgeable.‘
‘They provide an excellent-quality drafting service with very quick turnaround time and at a reasonable cost.‘
‘The team understands the nuances of our business very well. They are able to come up with solutions and recommendations which are unique to our business and tailored to our business needs.‘
‘Lynn Lazaro is my contact at the firm. I always find her to be attentive, knowledgeable and quick to cut to the point. She works well with only minimal input form us at times.‘
‘Lynn Lazaro manages to turn sparse information disclosure statements of inventions into high-quality patent specifications. Her ability to grasp the invention and tease out the salient features of the invention by querying the inventors is excellent. She always meets and often exceeds any requested deadlines for her work product.‘
ONGC Corporation of India
Cinepolis India Private Limited
Amara Raja Batteries Limited
Pidilite Industries Pvt. Ltd. (FEVICOL)
Red Lion Controls Inc.
Mezzion Pharma Co. Ltd.
- Advising National Presto on formulating a Patent strategy for the entire Asian region including the Middle East.
- Nissan’s lead IP counsel managing the client’s trademark portfolio in India and advising on various IP issues including infringement and enforcement strategy.
- Blackberry’s lead IP counsel managing the client’s trademark portfolio in India and advising on various IP issues including infringement and enforcement strategy.
Prosecution and enforcement services for the breadth of IP assets are provided at L&L Partners Law Offices by a team led by Gayatri Roy with sectors of focus including life sciences, media and entertainment, FMCG and IT. Litigation in the healthcare and technology sectors is also a strong point, with recent engagements concerning trade mark and copyright infringement and complex High Court patent infringement litigation involving pharmaceutical products. The team also handled commercial IP and transactional matters for high-profile multinationals. Since publication, Nirupam Lodha departed to Khaitan & Co.
Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC)
AllScripts Healthcare Solutions Inc.
ANI Technologies Pvt. Ltd. (“OLA”)
Dhampur Sugar Mills
Grupo Bimbo, S.A.B. de C.V.
Hero MotoCorp Limited
Maharashtra Hybrid Seeds Company Private Limited
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc.
Reliance Retail Limited
Dataflow Services (India) Pvt. Ltd.
- Advised on II-VI Incorporated’s acquisition of Finisar Corporation for $3.2bn.
- Advised on Reliance Retail Limited’s acquisition of the menswear brand ‘John Player’ and associated inventory from ITC Limited for approximately $21.8m.
- Advised WhiteBalance on its $14m acquisition by S4 Capital.
Obhan & Associates witnessed an increase on the patents side of its IP practice, with practice head Essenese Obhan handling patent prosecutions and oppositions for biotechnology, pharmaceuticals and engineering companies. FRAND licensing disputes in the telecoms sector are also being handled by the team. Trade mark oppositions, infringement and passing off disputes are handled for education, cycling, manufacturing and electronics companies; senior associate Taarika Pillai is a key name of this side. Commercial IP services are also provided, with expertise covering licensing transactions, collaboration deals and portfolio acquisitions.
Other key lawyers:
TATA Chemicals Ltd.
Agfa Group of Companies
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd.
STEER Group of Companies
Guangdong OPPO Mobile Telecommunications Corp., Ltd.
The Doon School
Aditya Birla Group
- Advised STEER Engineering on the protection of its IP rights, knowhow and confidential information, involved in the transfer of Horlicks division of GSK to Unilever, and represented STEER before the High Court of Delhi and Bangalore, the NCLT and the Singapore International Arbitration Centre.
- Representing Pine Labs in a patent infringement suit in the fintech space before the High Court. Successfully modify an ex-parte ad-interim injunction in the matter.
- Representing G4S before the High Court in various disputes with third-party infringers.
Saikrishna & Associates
Saikrishna & Associates covers the breadth of contentious and non-contentious IP expertise, including litigation, prosecution and high-value commercialisation and transactional matters. Sectors of focus include telecoms, media and entertainment, pharmaceuticals and FMCG.
Singh & Singh Law Firm LLP
Singh & Singh Law Firm LLP’s IP partners are highly active in the field of trade mark litigation. Practice heads Sudeep Chatterjee and Bitika Sharma are currently involved in a high volume of infringement and passing-off proceedings before the High Court for clients in the travel, media and entertainment, broadcasting, home appliances and FMCG sectors, among others. Co-head Saya Choudhary has a robust patent practice for telecoms and high-tech clients, particularly in the field of FRAND litigation, and Tejveer Bhatia leads on commercial IP disputes. Anti-counterfeiting actions are also handled by the firm. Mumbai-based collaboration Singh&Singh | Malhotra&Hegde adds considerable prosecution and litigation strength in the media and entertainment sector under the leadership of Vanditta Malhotra Hegde.
‘Vanditta Malhotra Hedge, the partner that we work with, herself being an ex in-house lawyer, understands the need of the business. Vanditta is a very knowledgeable person and has good experience in IP laws. It is the practical approach of the partner which makes the firm stand out from others.‘
Dish TV India Ltd.
Havells India Limited
Ajanta India Ltd.
Entertainment Network (India) Ltd.
S C Johnson Products Private Limited
Independent News Service Private Limited
Creative Travel Private Limited
Gulati Restaurant and Foods Private Limited
Pari Agro Exports
Burn Gym & Spa Private Limited
Info Edge (India) Limited
Jaipuria Edutech Foundation
MPS Interactive Systems Limited
Freecharge Payment Technologies Private Limited
Macleods Pharmaceuticals Limited
Teamwork Arts Private Limited
Sona BLW Precision Forgings Limited
]Opus Indigo Designs Private Limited
Singrimari Tea Estate Private Limited
Foster and Forge Foundation
Eros International Media Limited
K.K Lighting Pvt. Ltd.
Snapdeal Pvt Ltd
Unicommerce eSolutions Pvt. Ltd.
ANI Technologies Pvt.
Wipro HR Services India Pvt. Ltd.
- Represented Crwative Travel in seeking permanent injunction to restrain the defendants from using the marks ‘CREATIVE’ and ‘TRAVEL’ or any other mark identical or deceptively similar to the client’s
- Representing Dish TV in the matter Dish TV India Ltd. Vs. Prasar Bharati before the Delhi High Court. The suit was filed for permanent injunction restraining the defendant from infringing the trade mark “DISHTV”.
- Representing Havells India Limited in the matter Havells India Ltd. v. Luker Electric Technologies Private Limited & Ors. before Delhi High Court. The suit was filed for injunction restraining infringement of design and passing off of trade-dress for the client’s ceiling fans.
United Overseas Trade Mark Company
United Overseas Trade Mark Company is a high-profile name for IP portfolio management, being retained by household-name corporate clients on the domestic and international markets for full-scope hard and soft IP drafting, filing, prosecution, enforcement and opposition issues. Pooja Sood leads on the patents side, Shravan Kumar Bansal leads on trade marks and Sudarshan Kumar Bansal leads on copyright and designs. Litigation is also a strong point for the team, particularly in terms of trade mark and online infringements. Dedicated teams for geographical indications and customs enforcement are also provided to a highly diverse client roster.
‘Knowledge and expertise of IP laws in India and their business understanding, especially from Rishi Bansal, has been a great support to us.‘
Casio India Co.
Nihon Kohden Corporation, Japan
Coty Germany GmbH
Polo Ralph Lauren Corporation
Hugo Boss GmbH
Monster Energy Corporation
Gold Medal Electricals Pvt. Ltd.
Triguna Sen School of Technology (TSSOT), Assam University, India
Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
M/s Kamdhenu Ltd.
Future Retail Ltd.
- Represented Brilliant Public School Society in a suit seeking injunction against a defendant, based on infringement of its registered trademark “BRILLIANT PUBLIC SCHOOL”.
- Represented Promoshirt in securing injunction against the defendants from manufacturing, using, selling or in any manner using their trade mark/label which is identical and deceptively similar to the client’s.
- Represented L’Oreal in litigation concerning similar trade dress and colour combination used by the defendant who was rampantly selling the infringing products online as well in physical market.
W.S. Kane & Co
The robust contentious IP offering at W.S. Kane & Co is co-headed by Himanshu Kane and Ashutosh Kane. A diverse client list which includes heavy industry, FMCG, pharmaceuticals, restaurants, real estate and technology companies regularly engages the team on trade mark and design infringement and passing-off disputes before the High Court. Co-head Rahul Kadam is a key name for non-contentious matters including patent and trade mark prosecution, IP licensing and IP transfers. Domain name disputes are regularly initiated and defended by the practice.
‘Himanshu Kane, the senior most partner, is a leading practitioner and the go-to person in the field of IP. His advise is legally sound as well as practical, keeping the best interests of the client in mind. The firm has capable associates who are able to deliver the services in a timely manner.‘
Godrej Consumer Products Limited
Jyothy Laboratories Limited
Board of Control for Cricket In India
Hindustan Unilever Limited
Tilaknagar Industries Limited
Biostadt India Limited
Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Limited
Ajanta Pharma Limited
Ambuja Cements Limited
Prism Johnson Limited
Shapporji Pallonji & Company Private Limited
Speciality Restaurants Limited
Serum Institute of India Private Limited
Godrej Properties Limited
S.H. Kelkar & Company Limited
UltraTech Cement Ltd
63 Moons Technologies Ltd
Nilon’s Enterprises Pvt. Ltd
Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Successfully defended Godrej Properties in a trade mark infringement and passing-off suit. The mark in question was ‘Child-Centric’ which was highly descriptive of the services provided by both the parties.
- Filed a trade mark infringement and passing-off suit for UltraTech Cement Limited against the defendant before the High Court. The defendant was using deceptively similar trade marks in respect of similar goods.
- Filed trade mark infringement and passing-off suit in the High Court for Ajanta Pharma. The defendants had adopted and were using deceptively similar trade marks in respect of their medicinal products.
The IP team at AZB & Partners is active in the design infringement field, having recently represented global fashion brands in anti-counterfeiting litigation and enforcement operations. IP rights transfers on global transactions are regularly handled by co-heads Akhilesh Kumar Rai and Nandan Pendsey, with recent instructions coming from clients in the travel and tourism sector. Trade mark filing and prosecution services are supplied, while infringement and passing-off litigation in the healthcare sector was also recently handled. Sports clients also engage the team for brand protection and exploitation strategy.
‘Team is very knowledgeable and very good at responding on a timely basis.‘
‘The individuals are very caring, thoughtful, friendly and excellent with advice. They do give decisions that are in the best interest of the company.’
Skechers U.S.A., Inc.
The North Face Apparel Corp
Sachin Tendulkar / SRT Sports Management Pvt. Ltd.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Philip Morris Products S.A.
Suzlon Energy Limited
Lockheed Martin Corporation
Axis Bank Limited
NRB Bearings Limited
House of Anita Dongre
Torrent Pharmaceuticals Limited
Wrangler Apparel Corp
The Christian Broadcasting Network, Inc.
FSN E-Commerce Ventures Private Limited (Nykaa)
Aegon Life Insurance Company Limited
Supermax Personal Care Private Limited
Forest Stewardship Council, A.C.
Columbia Pictures Industries
CPK Management Company
- Advised on the divestment of GSK Consumer Healthcare’s brands worth $ 4.4bn.
- Obtained ex–parte injunction orders for Wrangler Apparel; convinced the courts of the peculiar circumstances of the matter and the need to prevent the destruction of counterfeit products and bringing the court to pass an ex–parte injunction on the first date of the hearing and further appointed Local Commissioners to conduct raids and seize counterfeit products.
- Guided Sketchers U.S.A.’s litigation strategy against Pure Play, dealing with lookalikes/replicas of Skechers’ ‘GOwalk 3’ products.
Led by founding partners Rahul Beruar and Nidhi Jain, IP boutique Beruar & Beruar is highly active in the media, entertainment, hospitality, sports, publishing and education sectors. Ongoing contentious matters include trade mark and copyright infringement litigation in the High Court and enforcement proceedings before the IPAB. A robust non-contentious offering provides advice on geographical indications, trade mark and design prosecutions and portfolio management and anti-counterfeiting strategy. Multinational names in the automotive sector also retain the team for full-scope IP assistance.
Living Media India Limited
T.V. Today India Limited
CBRE Group Inc.
KIPS Learning Pvt Ltd
Springer Nature Ltd.
Cengage Learning India Pvt Ltd.
Pearson Education Inc.
Novo Nordisk A/S
- Handing the IP portfolio for the media conglomerate India Today Group.
- Initiated a trade mark infringement suit on behalf of Living Media India High Court in against a third party which had adopted a mark identical/deceptively similar.
- initiated a copyright infringement suit before the High Court on behalf of Kips Learning for infringement of their popular computer education series for school children.
Commercial IP and transactional matters are points of focus for Fox Mandal's IP practice, further benefiting from co-head Santosh Vikram Singh’s patent prosecution expertise, which is applied to patent filing, registration, and portfolio management. Co-head Rajesh Vellakkat adds to the team’s strength in the TMT sector, encompassing software, digital media and e-commerce, while senior associate Sripriya Padmanabhan takes on disputes and enforcement activity with a focus on trade mark, copyright, and design. Recent engagements involved trade mark infringement disputes in the auto manufacturing and IT sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘Fox Mandal has supported me in several complicated legal issues. Their in-depth analysis of the facts and the legal aspects and practical suggestions have been extremely helpful in resolving several critical legal issues.‘
‘Several counsels at Fox Mandal have good court practice experience which enables them to provide quality legal support and advice. I have a great appreciation for Rajesh Vellakkat.‘
‘Santosh Vikram Singh is a great practitioner particularly in the trade mark arena; responsive, proactive, and knowledgeable.’
Rainbow Children’s Medicare
Sankara Eye Foundation
MID India Enterprises
HMS Host Services India
Haw Par Corporation Limited
Global Consumer Food Products
- Handling the entire IP Portfolio on behalf of Rainbow Children’s Hospitals, including registration and enforcement of multiple brands in India.
- Assisted Sarathi International with filing infringement suits and obtaining interim injunction orders in its favour. In one suit, the defendant had used an identical trade mark in similar industry, and the other suit was against use of similar trade mark in an identical industry.
- Successfully assisted Mid India Enterprises in settling a long-drawn trade mark infringement battle with India’s biggest auto manufacturing company.
IndusLaw’s IP practice co-head Aditi Verma Thakur specialises in trade mark and copyright enforcement and defence actions, and recently advised clients in the e-commerce sector on copyright infringement guidance pertaining to opensource software content. Co-head Amit Jajoo, who recently joined from HSA Advocates, further enhances the team’s litigation strength, including for patent infringement engagements, while co-head Lomesh Nidmuri fields expertise in 3D design misuse disputes. Brand restructuring and IP portfolio acquisitions are field of focus for co-head Suneeth Katarki.
Orient Cement Limited
Supermarket Grocery Supplies Private Limited (BigBasket)
Swampfox, Inc., US
Rakyan Beverages Private Limited (RawPressery)
Entrust Family Office Investment Advisors Private Limited
3One4 Capital Advisors LLP
Ujjivan Small Finance Bank Limited
Fashnear Technologies Private Limited (Meesho)
Hinch Distillery Limited, Ireland (“Hinch”) (formerly Killaney Estates Limited)
- Advised BigBasket on rectification proceedings against the registered trademark ROYAL of Girnar Foods & Beverages Private Limited.
- Advising on and handling Orient Cement’s IPAB Appeal from the refusal order passed by the Trade Marks Registry (regarding one of the key brand identities in Orient’s brand portfolio)
- Advised Nexus and its portfolio company Mayfair in relation to URBANIC brand restructuring and subsequent licenses (before a funding by a new undisclosed investor for an undisclosed amount)
K&S Partners provides a bench of patent experts led by Ravi Bhola (who has a particular focus on biotechnology and biosciences) with expertise in drafting, prosecutions, oppositions and infringement proceedings. An extensive soft IP practice includes founding partner Jyoti Sagar, Deepak Tiku and Priya Rao. The full-service offering handles infringement and passing-off litigation, portfolio management, trade mark prosecutions and copyright disputes. The firm also provides expertise in dealing with plant types, geographical indicators and cyber offences.
Khurana & Khurana, Advocates and IP Attorneys
Khurana & Khurana, Advocates and IP Attorneys’ patent prosecution team (led by Tarun Khurana) is adept at advising domestic clients with global protection and enforcement strategy, aided by a number of international offices throughout the APAC region. Co-head Vinod Khurana leads on patent disputes and commercialisation, while trade mark and domain name litigation is spearheaded by co-head Mohinder Vig. The practice has a focus on representing clients in high-tech sectors such as electronics, telecoms, cloud computing and computer-implemented inventions.
Larson and Tuobro
- Advising Dabur Pharma on patent preparation/drafting/prosecution matters along with rendering a number of legal opinions.
- Representing DBC Corporation in High Court patent litigation.
- Advising Sun Pharma on patent prosecution and opposition matter.
Lakshmikumaran & Sridharan has a solid contentious IP offering via Anil Dutt and co-head Parthasarathy R., who handle litigation pertaining to trade mark infringement, border enforcement, passing off and novel disputes involving the protection of seed and plant varieties. Practice co-head Malathi Lakshmikumaran leads on non-contentious issues, and is particularly experienced in handling patent drafting and prosecution matters is the fields of life sciences, chemicals, biotechnology and biodiversity.
Other key lawyers:
Bioworld Merchandising India Ltd
The Binding Site Group Limited
Windlas Biotech Pvt. Ltd.
Reata Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Maharashtra Hybrid Seed Co. Pvt. Ltd.
Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp
Monsanto Technology LLC
Onyx Therapeutics Inc.
Travel Triangle Limited
- Defended Windlas Biotech in a trade mark infringement and passing-off suit before the High Court.
- Assisted Monsanto with a writ petition challenging the order of the IPAB refusing the grant of a patent application.
- Filed a trade mark infringement suit before the High Court along with an application for preliminary injunction on behalf of Travel Triangle, a leading online travel aggregator against Travel Trikon.
Full-service IP boutique Mehta & Mehta Associates (MehtaIP) provides a bench of experts covering all IP service lines. Patent and design-related engagements are handled by founder Dr. Ramesh Kr.Mehta and principal attorneys Ankush Mehta and Abhilasha Niroola, who all field expertise in international filings and registrations, oppositions before the IPAB and invalidation litigation in the upper courts. Trade mark, copyright and design filings and oppositions are regularly handled by principal attorney Akshay Mehta. The impressive client roster includes hi-tech names in petrochemicals, electronics, greentech, autotech, telecoms, pharmceuticals and biotechnology.
‘They communicate clearly effectively and promptly. I’m grateful for the speed of their responses. Everything became easier to understand and to do after receiving their answers. Mehta responds very quickly, providing detailed responses.‘
‘Dr. Ramesh Kr.Mehta is personally deeply involved. He shows deep knowledge in various fields of technology.‘
‘Dr Ramesh Kr. Mehta and Ankush Mehta consistently provide good advice.‘
Dorf Ketal Chemicals (India) Private Limited
Dorf Ketal Speciality Catalysts, LLC
Jawaharlal Nehru University
International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
Adani Wilmar Limited
Dorf Ketal Chemicals FZE No
DCM Shriram Ltd.
Nishith Desai Associates
Situated within the technology, media and entertainment vertical, Nishith Desai Associates’s IP offering focuses on strategic IP and transactional work encompassing trade mark, copyright and patent licensing, brand acquisitions, pre-litigation advice and IP registrations. Clients are primarily sourced from cutting-edge sectors including TMT, pharmaceuticals, life sciences, education, fintech, gaming and digital streaming. Practice head Gowree Gokhale regularly handles cross-border projects, outsourcing, franchising and collaboration deals, facilitated by the firm’s outreach offices throughout the US and APAC regions.
‘Nishith Desai Associates is one of the leading law firms in media with a bunch of best minds who work with passion, dedication and professionalism. Always there for the queries and help and sorting things out very smoothly.‘
Contentious IP matters at RNA Technology and IP Attorneys are spearheaded by Rachna Bakhru and Ranjan Narula, who field expertise in trade mark, copyright and design infringement and passing-off litigation before the courts and tribunals. The team is predominantly engaged by hi-tech clients in the IT, software, pharmaceuticals and electronics sectors. Filing, prosecution and commercial IP services are provided by co-head Rajiv Suri. The firm also provides a dedicated investigations team headed by Rahul Sethi which is applied to customs, anti-counterfeiting and enforcement strategies for global brand owners.
- Represented SAP SE in a civil suit concerning its IP rights concerning SAP software and other confidential or copyright-protected training materials.
- Filed numerous court actions on behalf of Shell Brands International AG over the past 10+ years. Also handling opposition and trade mark portfolio.
- Represented Roca Sanitario in civil court actions before Delhi High Court involving oppositions and cancellations of registered marks.
Royzz & Co. Attorneys at Law’s IP offering is strong on the patent side, covering litigation and prosecution services. Co-heads Mahua Roy Chowdhury and Sanjay Visen initiate and defend infringement and enforcement claims while patent agents and co-heads Samendra Patil and Muthu Pandi leverage their technical expertise to manage complex and high-volume patent portfolios. Trade mark and copyright filing are handled by a team led by senior associate co-head Manjari Mukherjee. IP acquisitions are also handled by the practice.
‘They have a deep knowledge of IP, are reliable, very client oriented and responsive.‘
‘The quality of work is really outstanding not only for trade mark but for patents as well. They show a deep understanding of IP law. Mahua Roy Chowdhury is a creative thinker and an amazing strategist. She views problems from multiple angles.‘
Recent successes for the contentious side of Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co’s IP vertical saw practice head Dev Robinson defend clients in the utilities and heavy industries before the High Court on trade mark and design infringement allegations. Trade mark and patent prosecution and enforcement instructions are regularly handled with the assistance of technology sector expert Muzammil Husain and consumer goods and FMCG sector expert JV Abhay. Licensing transactions and technology transfers are also points of focus.
- Successfully represented Su-Kam Power Systems before the High Court; retained ownership of the ‘Su-Kam’ trademark.
In an effort to strengthen the patent and design offering at Singhania & Partners LLP’s IP practice, Bhawna Sharma was recently recruited from Archer & Angel to head the team. Patent filing, prosecution and enforcement is provided to a roster of life sciences and technology clients. Co-head Dipak Rao provides soft IP prosecution, oppositions, portfolio management and litigation expertise including infringement proceedings, while co-head Sonil Singhania adds strength across the breadth of non-contentious engagements.
Other key lawyers:
eEye Digital Security, Inc.
Tiger Coatings GmbH & Co.KG
Institut national de l’origine et de la qualité (INAO)
McGraw Hill Education
Indian Institute of Management Calcutta Innovation Park
Bounce Inc. Pty. Ltd.
Grofers India Private Limited
Arnold & Richter Cine Technik Gmbh & Co. Betriebs KG
- Successfully represented eEye Inc. in an opposition against Apple’s trade mark application filed in India for a mark similar to that of the client’s.
- Acting on behalf of Institut national de l’origine et de la qualité for more than 10 years, in matters related to protection of the geographical indication (GI) in India through opposition proceedings against trade mark applications filed similar to famous wine’s GI such as Bordeaux, Cognac, Corsica, Pays D’Oc, Champagne, Martinique, Le Hermitage, Floc de Gascogne, Normandie etc.
- Acted for ARRI Group, leader in the motion picture industry for over 100 years, for its trade mark matters, contentious and non-contentious, before Indian Trademark Registry.
As the name suggests, TMT Law Practice is a boutique with a focus on the fields of technology, media and communications. Substantial team growth has strengthened the IP offering, particularly in the copyright licensing and litigation fields. Recent highlight saw practice heads Abhishek Malhotra , Sapna Chaurasia and Aahna Mehrotra representing broadcasters, sports clients and media personalities and copyright infringement and royalties disputes. Patent infringement litigation is also handled by the team.
Sun TV Network Limited
Sony Pictures Networks (India) Private Limited
Viacom18 Media Private Limited
Wal-Mart India Private Limited
Association of Radio Operators for India
Rajasthan Patrika Private Limited
Reliance Broadcast Network Limited
Ushodaya Enterprises Private Limited
Flipkart Internet Private Limited
TV Today Network Limited
K.P.H. Dream Cricket Private Limited
Thomas Sebastian Monckton Chambers London
Sri Krishna Talluri
Universal Music Private Limited
SP Accure Labs Private Limited
DB Corp Limited
- Representing the plaintiff Reliance Broadcast in a suit seeking declaratory relief, perpetual injunction against termination of agreement and recovery of the royalty fees paid to music label Super Cassettes.
- Representing Sun TV Network Limited in a copyright infringement suit addressing the issue of payment of royalty/ license fee for exploiting sound recordings embedded in a movie.
- Representing singing app Smule Inc as defending in a dispute concerning the alleged use of musical works and literary works on its website, mobile application and YouTube channel without seeking any authorisation or license from the plaintiff.
ALMT Legal provides domestic and international clients with trade mark filing, prosecution and portfolio management services through practice co-heads Statira Ranina and Siddhi Ghatlia. Co-head Rakesh Prabhu provides patent prosecution expertise to both established corporate clients and growth companies. Recent client additions were sourced from the pharmaceuticals, food and drink, FMCG, education and jewellery sectors.
Delightful Gourmet Private Limited (DGPL)
Piramal Enterprise Limited
Sanghvi Beauty & Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
William Penn Private Limited
Paramount Kumkum Private Limited/ Paramount Cosmetic and related companies
The National Institute Of Engineering
JSS Group of Institutions
- Advised Delightful Gourmet on filing new trade mark applications in India.
- Advised and assisted in filing new trade mark applications in India for Piramal Enterprise Limited.
- Advised and assisted in filing new trade mark applications in India for William Penn Private Limited.
Bharucha & Partners leverages its solid TMT practice to provide IP services to growth companies and multinationals in the ITES and e-commerce sectors. In particular, practice head Kaushik Moitra advises on complex IP issues pertaining to data processing and AI technology. Registrations and enforcement proceedings of trade mark, copyright (including for media and entertainment companies) and design assets are handled, as well as trade mark infringement defence in the High Court. Patent litigation experience is also cited.
Samsung India Electronics Private Limited
Vodafone Idea Limited
Sony Pictures Network India Private Limited
CVC Capital Partners Finance Limited
Singapore Technologies Telemedia Pvt Ltd
The Rainmaker Group
Kahaaniwaaley Media and Entertainment Ventures Private Limited
Eleeanora Images Private Limited
Netprophets Cyberworks Private Limited
Infotel Group of companies
Grover Zampa Vineyards Limited
Alchem International Private Limited
SARA Research and Development Centre
Flipkart Internet Private Limited
Morepen Laboratories Limited
Citixsys Tech Solutions Private Limited
Sprandi International (Surya Marketing Corporation)
One97 Communication Limited (Paytm)
- Advised and represented Sony Pictures Networks in relation to a suit based on allegations of copyright infringement filed against the popular Indian soap opera Mere Dad Ki Dulhan (My Father’s Bride) before the High Court.
- Advising Vodafone Idea Limited on all trade mark-related issues, including registrations.
- Advising Samsung India Electronics on protecting its IP in India, including trade marks, opposing infringing marks and advising on brand development and strategy.
Founding partners of Ediplis Counsels Ashima Chalia and Nishant Kewalramani stand out for their expertise in strategic and commercial IP matters, including patent-rich transactions and licensing deals in the technology and creative industries. Trade mark and patent prosecution services, including oppositions, are provided by the practice, with start-ups through to established corporates being catered for. Fashion, retail, hospitality and education are also sectors of focus.
‘Nishant Kewalramani and his team are very professional and resourceful. For patent search they were capable and skilful.‘
‘I appreciate their dedication and knowledge work. I am very proud to recommend Ediplis Counsels to be one of the best.‘
‘The team consists of highly motivated, attentive and passionate people.‘
‘They have been the reason why our patent was registered. The depth of knowledge the team has is incredible. Cheers to the entire team for the support they have provided to us.’
‘Our company has grown from a start-up to a medium sized company now and the firm has been very patient and understanding to help the company grow accordingly. We can now blindly trust in the recommendations, contracts, patents, case matters or any other matters without consulting any third party associations.‘
‘Their in-depth knowledge about the subject matter, processes of the IP registration, their professional behaviour towards the clients is incredible.‘
‘The individuals with I have worked with have very diverse knowledge of technology to deal with patent prosecution. Legal opinions provided by the people from Ediplis is timely and well balanced.‘
‘Nishant Kewalramani is a visionary with a dynamic approach to working on cutting-edge legal solution for the technologies.‘
Seshaasai Business Forms
Magma HDI General Insurance
Unacademy (Sorting Hat Technologies)
Tricog NoIESA (Indian Electronics & Semiconductor Association)
Fenwick & Ravi
World Alumni Network
- Represented Spookfish Innovations in a brand advertising deal with leading Rugby team “Worcester Warriors” involving placement of their technology in Sixways stadium in UK for thermal screening to enable reopening post Covid-19 lockdown.
- Advised Tricog Health India in a technology licensing deal with GOQii Technologies for the purpose of licensing of the client’s proprietary technology to be used with GOQii’s fitness tracker for real time and easy ECG diagnosis.
- Provided the necessary legal hand holding for investment by Dubai-based investors into Solavio Labs, an Indian entity. One of the key drivers of the investment was the client’s patent pending technology in the solarbot domain. Also managing the client’s patent portfolio.
The all-female partnership of IP boutique Fidus Law, which benefited from its recent combination with DA Law Associates, has a focus on trade mark, copyright and design IP litigation under founding partner Shwetasree Majumder and co-heads Diva Arora Menon, Tanya Varma and Prithvi Singh. Pharmaceuticals and technology are key sectors, with clients including innovative names in e-learning, e-sports, fintech and OTT platforms. Trade mark prosecution and brand management matters are handled by principle associate and team co-head Astha Negi.
Other key lawyers:
‘Lightning-fast response time and creation of work product. Very strategic thinking.‘
‘Shwetasree Majumder is amazing. She is extremely strategic, practical, patient, cost-efficient, and an expert in her field. The speed with which she and her team deliver high-quality work product is very impressive.‘
‘An excellent set of attorneys who are well equipped with legal IP expertise as well as the commercial acumen, which makes their advice practical and result oriented.‘
‘Shwetasree Majumder, the managing partner of the firm is one of the leading IP Lawyers in India. She has a great knack of understanding the client business requirements and is capable of customising legal solutions as per a client’s business needs. She is also proactive in assessing the future needs/requirements of the client.‘
M/s Inter Ikea Systems BV
Realogy Holdings Corp.
USV Private Limited
Signify N.V. (Formerly known as Philips Lighting)
Association of Producers of Pisco, Chile
21st Century Fox
- Worked with the Chilean Asociación De Productores De PISCO A.G. to file an application for recognition of CHILEAN PISCO as a geographical indication.
- Successfully pursued an appeal on behalf Snapdeal Private Limited before the Delhi High Court against an order which restrained e-commerce marketplaces such as the client as well as Amazon and Flipkart from selling products of direct-selling entities such as Amway, Oriflame and Modicare.
- Represented Yanka Industries (known as Masterclass) in a lawsuit to restrain Masterschool.in, which was set up with the same business model and which passed off Masterclass’ trade dress. The suit was settled and concluded in the client’s favour.
Majmudar & Partners is particularly present on the soft IP side, with practice heads N. Raja Sujith and Neerav Merchant advising on trade mark registration, prosecution and commercial IP to a diverse roster of education, retail, technology and life sciences clients. On the contentious side, commercial IP disputes are a strong point, and oppositions and enforcement are also handled.
Technicolor Trademark Management
University of Illinois (USA)
Carl Freudenberg KG
Eddie Bauer Licensing Services LLC
Horseware Products Limited
- Assisted Technicolor Trademark Management on trade mark renewal and change of proprietor address.
- Filed two trade mark applications for Horseware Products Limited.
- Assisting Carl Freudenberg KG in prosecuting its trade mark applications in India.
Mason & Associates
Mason & Associates is present in the copyright space, providing both advisory services and representation in infringement matters for clients in the media, entertainment and broadcasting sectors. Founder Neel Mason also advises on trade mark prosecution, portfolio management and exploitation. Recent additions to the team have expanded the capacity to provide patent prosecution and enforcement services.
‘Neel Mason is very impressive.‘
Everest Industries Ltd.
Snapdeal Private Limited
Amar Biotech Ltd.
- Successfully represented T-Series of copyright infringement litigation against Mohalla Tech Private Limited.
- Represented Snapdeal Private Limited in restricting the scope of an injunction which restrained Snapdeal from selling or otherwise dealing with any HUL products under the brand name “Indulekha Bringha Hair Oil” and “Indulekha Bringha Hair Cleanser”.
- Represented Amar Biotech Ltd. against Monsanto Technology in a patent revocation action before the High Court.
Recent non-contentious highlights for the IP practice at Samvad Partners involved patent licensing and supply agreements for medtech clients, trade mark filing and opposition strategy for sportswear clients and advice on copyright licencing for software companies, all handled for practice head Rohan K George. The team provides experience in handling patent, trade mark and domain name litigation, recently for steaming services and logistics companies.
Brandis Manufacturing and Marketing Pvt. Ltd.
Dr. Agarwal’s Healthcare Limited
Grameen Foundation India Pvt Ltd
Healthium Medtech Pvt Ltd (formerly Sutures India Pvt Ltd)
Hoslab Engineering Pvt. Ltd.
Khodays India Ltd
Knolskape Solutions Pte Ltd
Mahavadi Management and Technology Services GmBH
Red Brick Lane Marketing Solutions Private Limited (Zapr Media Labs)
RV Forms and Gears LLP
Sportell Manufacturing and Marketing Pvt. Ltd. (formerly Brandis)
Synergia Biosciences Pvt Ltd
Unbxd Software Private Limited
Wealth India Financial Services Private Limited
- Assisted Healthium Medtech with reviewing and negotiating a patent licensing and technology transfer agreement.
- Represented Khodays India in trademark opposition proceedings.
- Prepared a report on the comparison between the regulatory regime for online music streaming vs terrestrial radio for the India Music Industry trust.
Scriboard continues to be a prominent firm in the field of domain name disputes and digital brand management. IP practice co-heads Rodney D Ryder and Ravi Goyal are retained by a healthy mix of domestic and international clients to handle the enforcement of digital rights before all judicial forums, and recently obtained a number of successful takedowns for big-ticket e-commerce companies including Amazon.
‘Rodney D Ryder and Ravi Goyal are experts in this area. They are very prompt and helpful and are always willing to assist us with queries no matter how small or big. Two things stand out at Scriboard: How easily once can reach them and their reasonable fees.‘
‘Their hands-on advice and easy access is an advantage. Ravi Goyal is our main contact for all matters related to IP and Rodney D Ryder is a known authority on IP laws.‘
‘They provide swift, precise and relevant legal advice on IP matters. They are easily approachable and work towards meeting deadlines comfortably. I know that they are available at a call and are extremely client-facing in their approach.‘
‘Ravi Goyal is very helpful and understands the client’s needs very well.‘
‘The firm has an excellent practice record. I have been dealing with this firm and its partner since more than two decades and find it the best.‘
Amazon Seller Services Private Limited
Nike India Private Limited
Hike Private Limited
Havells India Limited
Godrej Consumer Products Limited
Aon Consulting Private Limited
E-Meditek Insurance TPA Limited
Tata Power Delhi Distribution Limited
IndianOil Corporation Limited
Livonics Infotech Private Limited
Bio-Med Healthcare Private Limited
- Regularly advised and assisted Hike with online brand protection and monitoring.
- Represented Havells India before the National Internet Exchange of India and successfully recovered a domain name identical to its ‘Crabtree’ brand.
- Responsible for reviewing the IP infringement and takedown notices and letters sent to Amazon in relation to the www.amazon.in site.
Singh & Associates Founder – Manoj K Singh Advocates and Solicitors’ IP practice fields a team of experts that handles trade mark and patent filing, prosecution, enforcement and oppositions. Multinational clients retain practice heads Manoj Kumar Singh, Daizy Chawla and Shrimant Singh for portfolio management and protection, with recent instructions involving appearances before the Intellectual Property Office for clients in the solar panels, pharmaceuticals, chemistry, mechanical engineering and telecoms sectors.
‘An excellent team! Quick advice on all IP matters, particularly patents.‘
Dennemeyer & Associates
Euro -Apex B.V (Apex Group)
Allen, Dyer, Doppelt + Gilchrist, PA
Arnold & Siedsma
Hamrick & Evans LLP
HEUSSEN Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
ABG Intellectual Property
AIPT Patent, Trademark & Law Office
Artfirst Enterprises Pvt. Ltd.
Insideout Technologies Private Limited
Pactera Technology International Limited
Thomson Reuters Foundation
Legalmax Law Firm
Thomson Reuters Foundation (Trust Law)
- Assisted ABG Intellectual Property in opposition proceedings for the trade mark “NipTop”.
- Assisted and represented Rioglass Solar in a patent application case where a pre-grant opposition has been filed by another party.
- Filed the replies to the provisional refusal for two applications in the matter of the well-renowned trademarks under the “STAN LEE” banner.
Solomon & Co. Advocates & Solicitors’ IP practice heads Komal Solomon and Germaine Pereira recently conducted complex trade mark protection exercises concerning product shapes in the manufacturing and packaging sectors. Ongoing instruction include trade mark, patent and design oppositions and enforcements. Numerous names in the entertainment sector also retain the team for advice on copyright licensing and broadcasting rights issues.
Leading the growing IP practice at Spice Route Legal, Mathew Chacko is handling numerous trade mark infringement and passing-off litigation matters for multijurisdictional TMT and chemicals clients, and trade secrets disputes for asset management companies. The team also fields expertise in handling copyright infringement disputes for software clients. On the non-contentious side, Praveen Raju is handling patent licensing and R&D negotiations in the food technology space, while film licensing deals are also regularly handled.
Other key lawyers:
Zimplistic Pte. Ltd
Testing & Verification Solutions
- Representing crowdfunding platform Milaap Inc. in a dispute with Google concerning the question of contributory infringement of trademark and passing off a registered mark as the keyword of a direct competitor.
- Representing publicly listed and India-based Neogen Chemicals in a series of legal disputes in the US and India on the use of the trade mark and name, Neogen.
- Assisted Miner’s Inc. with the licensing of approximately 500 independent movies for distribution in India.