Construction (including construction litigation) in Germany
The construction law practice at primarily Frankfurt-based firm AGS Legal advises several nationwide project developers on various construction projects in bigger congested areas. Thomas Gunther represents national as well as international clients from numerous industries in court as well as out-of-court proceedings pertaining to construction, conversion and renovation projects. The Hamburg-based unit of the firm has diminished, after Sigrid Roskosny and Peer Feldhahn, who both specialise in private construction law, joined Zenk Rechtsanwälte in January 2019.
Other key lawyers:
Arnecke Sibeth Dabelstein
The construction law team at Arnecke Sibeth Dabelstein puts substantial emphasis on the entire life cycle of project developments of properties. Besides its traditional strengths in assisting contracting authorities with plant engineering projects, the firm most recently focused on the realisation and marketing of inner-city locations on behalf of building societies. In this context, the team demonstrates expertise in relation to asset categories hotels and office buildings as well as shopping centres. Michael Grünwald is the key contact for long-lasting matters with transactional aspects, while practice head Thomas Richter specialises in the implementation of cooperative construction models in agreement with public authorities during complex project developments.
Other key lawyers:
Bogenhausener Tor Immobilien GmbH
SIGNA Real Estate
SBT Immobilien Gruppe
Zurich Insurance plc
- Comprehensive project support to Bogenhausener Tor Immobilien GmbH on the planning, construction and leasing of two high-rise properties and sale of one of the towers.
- Advice and project support to SIGNA Real Estate on the planning and construction of the shopping centre ‘Karstadt am Bahnhof’ in Munich.
- Comprehensive Germany-wide legal advice to the SBT Immobilien Gruppe on all construction projects and their implementation.
Bornheim und Partner
With a strong team in Heidelberg, Bornheim und Partner's construction law practice continues to predominantly focus on private construction law as well as the core areas architectural and engineering law. In addition to general contractors, the group advises private and public developers not only on construction projects in the trade and health sectors, but also in the plant engineering industry. Name partner Helmerich Bornheim's competencies also include the handling of public-private partnerships and dispute resolution.
Other key lawyers:
Construction law boutique BREYER RECHTSANWÄLTE advises both private construction companies as well as the public authorities on technically challenging building construction and civil engineering projects. Under the aegis of name partner Wolfgang Breyer, the firm, which further exhibits proven competencies in procurement law as well as in out-of-court dispute resolution, has been advising on the first German major project based on a multi-party agreement. In this context, advising ECE Projektmanagement on the development of a congress hotel in Hamburg's HafenCity is particularly noteworthy. Another niche is covered by assisting with public tender procedures for the development of German embassies as well as their subsequent construction. Steffen Hettler left the firm in November 2018 to found his own spin-off Jahn Hettler Rechtsanwälte PartG mbB. Maximilian Regul made partner and in October 2019, Frank Stege, a bar-certified specialist for construction and architectural law, and his four-strong team joined the firm as well. Angelika Frohwein advises on private construction and architectural law and also acts in contentious matters, while senior associate Christian Kruska also covers the interface to public and procurement law.
‘Very strong in construction law and super for real estate acquisitions. Pragmatic advice that always pursues our goals. Very good: at the end of each conversation I receive a clear recommendation which makes my orientation as a legal layman easier.‘
‘High technical competence in private construction law and client and solution-oriented approach.‘
‘Competent assistance with warranty and damages claim matters by a broadly positioned team.‘
‘Michael Burdinski works extremely solution-oriented and with an extremely high services attitude.‘
‘Mr Burdinski is always available, day and night. Helps quickly and with an eye on the construction success.‘
ECE Projektmanagement G.m.b.H. & Co. KG
Ed. Züblin AG
- Advice to CESA Spring Park GmbH on the second project in Germany with multi-party contractual design. Focus is an innovation campus for the strategy and research departments of large and medium-sized companies as well as startups.
- Long-term project support to the Stiftung Preussischer Kulturbesitz on planning, contract design and implementation of the museum from the 20th century.
- Comprehensive advice to the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community on the new construction of embassies in Sofia and Algier based on FIDIC-contracts, including procurement procedures and support and advice on construction to the building contractor. Further new constructions in Taschkent, Jakarta, Rabat are also planned.
BRL BOEGE ROHDE LUEBBEHUESEN predominantly advises investors, project developers and construction companies on the development of major sites for mixed-use purposes. From its Hamburg offices under the leadership of Michael-Alexander Rojnic, the firm assisted with the complete development of the Southern Overseas Quarter, including the development of an underground multi-storey shopping centre, on behalf of French real estate developer Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield. In the Berlin market, the team behind Matthias Münch has an increasingly good market position. The assistance with office building developments is part of the group's daily business among other matters. Nadim Hermes joined Buse Heberer Fromm in January 2019.
Other key lawyers:
With a strong team in Cologne, CBH Rechtsanwälte Cornelius, Bartenbach, Haesemann & Partner continues to be renowned for its construction-related and litigious advice on infrastructure, hospital and offices projects. Thereby, architecture firms and planning entities as well as various city authorities account for an important part of its client base. The broadly positioned team around main contacts Markus Vogelheim, Nils Mrazek and Arnd Holzapfel is putting increasingly strong emphasis on assistance with private and public high-grade hospital developments, while the representation of contractors as well as contracting authorities in sometimes high-volume out-of-court and court disputes is one of the significant strengths of the practice.
Markus Vogelheim; Nils Mrazek; Arnd Holzapfel
‘Collaborative skills across all employees and all age groups. Open for everything new, future-oriented in mobility and digitalisation. Quick, reliable, everything is in such a manner as one wishes for.‘
KVB Kölner Verkehrs-Betriebe AG
Universitäsmedizin der Johannes Gutenberg Universität Mainz
JOHANN BUNTE Bauunternehmung GmbH & Co. KG
- Legal representation of the planning entity PGBBI against Berlin-Brandenburg BER concerning allegations of planning failures.
- Ongoing advice and legal representation of the Universitätsmedizin of the Johannes Gutenberg Universität Mainz (University Medical Centre, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz) on clinic expansions.
- Comprehensive advice to the JOHANN BUNTE Bauunternehmung GmbH & Co. KG on interpretation of contracts and supplemental agreement matters in the course of the large-scale project Stuttgart 21 concerning the expansion of the Autobahn A8 on the one hand, and the construction of the new rail link between Stuttgart and Ulm by the DB Netz AG on the other hand.
The construction law group at Clifford Chance has expanded its traditional focus on national infrastructure and plant engineering projects by putting a stronger emphasis on advising project developers. At the Düsseldorf office, a large team around Michael Kremer continues to represent plant engineers in disputes with contracting authorities, while Kristina Jaeger, who made partner in 2018 and is based in Frankfurt, assists real estate developers as well as future owners with either their German market entry or with the development of their asset portfolio. Stefan Löchner joined real estate and construction law boutique offering May und Partner Rechtsanwälte Mediatoren mbB in May 2019.
Michael Kremer; Kristina Jaeger
Other key lawyers:
thyssenkrupp IndustrialSolutions AG
Atlas Copco Energas GmbH
- Advice to Premier Inn on the development of different hotel buildings for its own use as hotel business.
- Advice to GE Power on the defence of delay- and performance-related claims for damages by the contracting authority, RWE, in the course of the delayed completion of the large boiler for the power station Westfalen.
- Advice to PCC SE on the negotiation of the front and engineering contract as well as the EPC-contract for the planning and construction of a chemical complex near Cologne for the manufacturing of ethylene oxide/ethylene glycol. The transaction volume is EUR 500 million.
The internationally highly visible construction practice at CMS puts increasing emphasis on the plant engineering field. The team behind Martin Krause has an intensive focus on the renewable energy sector, where the group acts for project developers and energy suppliers on the whole spectrum, ranging from realisation to possible adjudication proceedings and transactional matters. In addition to its advice on the construction and extension of bespoke production facilities for globally active industrial manufacturers, the firm also assists the public authorities with the construction of event facilities as well as of power plants. Holger Kraft is a sought-after expert for complex financing issues, while many construction companies instruct Andreas Roquette with out-of-court disputes as well as preliminary proceedings, and counsel Katja Küpper is well versed in private construction law as well as in architect and engineering law.
Highland Group Holdings Ltd
Iberdrola Ingeniería y Construcción S.A.U.
ARLANXEO Emulsion Rubber France SAS
- Advice to the Allianz Lebensversicherung AG on all matters concerning real estate and construction law in the course of the development of the new headquarters in Stuttgart.
- Development of a new site for a chemical plant for the production of cumene including infrastructure links on behalf of INEOS.
- Advice to Highland Power Ltd on the acquisition of two pioneering gas-to-power projects in Africa.
Besides its traditional strength in the plant engineering area, the construction law team around Stephan Jüngst at FPS focuses on out-of-court and court disputes on behalf of the public authorities as well as private companies. The advice offering encompasses a broad spectrum of asset categories, above all offices and residential. The firm also has significant knowledge of architectural law, in which context Frank Beitz is frequently instructed by public law entities and real estate developers. Christian Hubatsch left the firm in May 2018. In January 2019 however, Jutta Moller joined from Kleiner Rechtsanwälte and Christoph Lichtenberg came from the Swiss construction company Implenia.
Other key lawyers:
Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner
The construction law team around Volker Stehlin at Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner combines proven expertise in advice to general contractors on developments in the power plant sector with an intensified focus on the assistance of contracting authorities with intra-urban project developments. Its international client base includes globally active companies in the chemicals, technology and mechanical engineering sectors, which regularly instruct Markus Beaumart, who joined from DLA Piper in July 2018, with matters related to infrastructure projects. Olaf Konzak joined from LLR Legerlotz Laschet Rechtsanwälte GbR in October 2018.
Other key lawyers:
Uwe Steingröver; Markus Beaumart; Tom Erdt; Jörn Zons; Carmin Laschet
Graf von Westphalen
The 'extraordinarily well-matched' construction law practice at Graf von Westphalen handles major construction projects as well as smaller issues for both contracting authorities and contractors. The advice spectrum is tailored to assist with the renovation of large existing properties as well as the development of medical facilities and the firm is also frequently instructed by city authorities to advise on procurement matters. The group also regularly handles construction projects, in which the main contractor is instructed with the realisation of technical building equipment. Practice head Thomas Senff further acts in arbitration proceedings. Maximilian Jahn left the firm in November 2018 to found spin-off Jahn Hettler Rechtsanwälte PartG mbB. Lutz Lamprecht and Sven Donner made partner.
Other key lawyers:
Robert Theissen; Christian Esch
‘The team is extraordinarily well-matched and can satisfy the client’s needs at any given time.‘
Union Investment Real Estate GmbH
Stadt Mülheim a.d.R.
- Comprehensive building and project advice to Union Investment Real Estate GmbH on the entire portfolio in Germany, in particular as preparation and negotiation of several contracts.
- Advice on construction law to the City of Mülheim an der Ruhr on large building projects.
GSK Stockmann's construction practice stands out for the diversity of its advice's objects. The client roster of Jan Kehrberg's large practice group includes several listed international companies as well as three of Berlin's housing associations. Accordingly, the group's established expertise in conversion and extension of production sites is complemented by its strength in assisting with all aspects of residential high-rise development projects. In the infrastructure projects area the firm was able to develop skills in special civil engineering, while the comprehensive advice on a new city quarter reflects the team's capacities related to the realisation of major construction projects. Member of the state parliament and planning lawyer Josef Schmid joined the firm as equity partner in November 2018 on a part-time basis. Associate Kerstin von Staa is recommended for public construction law and planning law as well as for matters at the interface to environmental law and transactional matters.
Städtischer Liegenschaftsbetrieb Wyk auf Föhr
- Advice to the Siemens AG on Projekt Stadt 2.0 concerning construction law and planning regulations.
- Advice to the shipyard group MV WERFTEN in different locations on the expansion of production sites.
- Advice to the Kelloggs Gruppe on the conduct of a sale- and lease back procedure in Hamburg.
Hecker, Werner, Himmelreich
Hecker, Werner, Himmelreich offers a broad range of competencies, which is reflected in a diverse client base composed of public authorities, general contractors and financial services providers. Thereby the group puts significant emphasis on representing engineering companies in damages claim proceedings and assisting public-law contracting authorities with major municipal construction projects, including award proceedings. The team behind practice head Helmut Weingarten and longstanding partners Frank Siegburg and Norbert Reuber utilises its construction project-related expertise in advising on infrastructure measures as well as on cultural institutions.
HDI Versicherung AG
Bundesamt für Bauwesen und Raumordnung
Deutsche Investitions- undEntwicklungsgesellschaft mbH
Gebäudewirtschaft der Stadt Köln
The construction law practice at Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek distinguishes itself through a diverse client base composed of construction companies and public authorities. Accordingly, infrastructure projects are an important pillar of the group's day-to-day operations. The team behind Thomas Nickel and Stephan Freund advises both on construction-related matters as well as litigious issues. A particular niche of the practice is dispute settlement in relation to stalled port construction projects, while power plants and shopping centres are objects that key contact Armin Freiherr von Grießenbeck also advises on.
Thomas Nickel, Stephan Freund
Other key lawyers:
Armin Freiherr von Grießenbeck
Ed Züblin Stahlbau GmbH
JadeWeserPort Realisierungs GmbH & Co. KG
Niedersachsen Ports GmbH & Co. KG
Fond of GmbH
- Support to the EDEKA Nordbayern-Gruppe on all ongoing disputes concerning construction law in Bavaria, Thuringia and Saxony.
- Support to the Fond Of GmbH on the new construction of a logistics centre in Euskirchen, in particular the drafting and negotiation of the general contractor agreement.
- Legal representation of the City Hürth in a legal dispute, initiated by a contractor, at the LG Köln (Regional Court) concerning a school expansion.
The real estate practice at Heussen Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH strongly focuses on the development of new city quarters and building complexes. Thus Norbert Huber's team is regularly instructed by a steady client base composed of national project developers and general contractors seeking advice on major construction projects in the asset categories residential and plant engineering as well as office and retail. Besides its strengths in advising on conversion sites across Germany for residential complex developers, the firm has been expanding its advice offering by assisting special real estate operators with hospital and care home developments; advising the public authorities with renovation projects is another central pillar of the practice. Construction law lecturer Wolfgang Junghenn joined in January 2019 as partner, after planning lawyer Iris Meeßen and architectural lawyer Y.S. Kalkaan were promoted to the partnership in June and October 2018, respectively.
ehret+klein Real Estate Competence GmbH
Gasteig München GmbH
Michael Weinig AG
- Comprehensive advice to ehret+klein regarding project development, construction advice and marketing in the course of different projects, including representation against the GU concerning delays in the construction process.
- Advice to the Gasteig München GmbH on the generalisation of the Gasteig, the philharmonic orchestra in Munich, as well as the creation of temporary performance areas. The advice focus in the reporting period was on the structuring of architect and specialist planner contracts in the course of the generalisation, as well as the advice on emergency planning in accordance with construction law.
- Support to Industria Wohnen with regards to feasibility checks and planning calculations before purchasing numerous project developments with an overall value of EUR 1 billion.
The in plant engineering specialised construction law team at Hogan Lovells International LLP predominantly handles international matters with a particular focus on the realisation and operation of power plants in the Middle and Far East. The renowned Tobias Faber is well versed in assisting with waste water projects, while Christian Knütel advises on project-related as well as litigious matters in the offshore wind sector. The globally integrated practice around Ulrich Helm, whose expertise is the representation of plant constructors in international arbitration, can fall back on local legal experts in numerous strongly regulated countries. The firm is the only firm in Germany that has a Taiwanese office, which often consults the team in relation to plant engineering matters.
- Advice to Northland Power Inc. and Yushan Energy Company Ltd. on the project development of the 1044 MW offshore windfarm Hai Long in Taiwan.
- Advice to the German-Swedish project developer Svevind on the implementation of the Markbygden-windfarm, one of the largest onshore-windfarm-clusters in Europe.
- Advice to the STEAG GmbH on the design and negotiation of large-scale projects, in particular the EPC-contract for the turnkey construction of a combined gas and steam power station in Herne.
Kapellmann und Partner
The renowned construction practice at Kapellmann und Partner specialises in the construction and renovation of energy plants, infrastructure networks and hospitals. A particular focus lays on assisting wind parks and biogas plants during the time of construction, while the team also acts in high-volume arbitration proceedings. Practice head Ralf Steding, who is considered 'a real exception among lawyers', advises a broad client base composed of the public authorities, DAX 30 industrial manufacturers and financially sound energy supply companies on new construction projects as well as on the dismantling and extension of existing facilities. The assistance with complex transport infrastructure projects is everyday business as well. David Mattern made partner in January 2019. Klaus Eschenbruch and Werner Langen belong to the leading lawyers in private construction law, while Martin Wittemeier is also recommended for advising contracting authorities and contractors on the realisation of medium-sized and large construction and plant engineering projects.
Ralf Steding; Gerolf Sonntag
Other key lawyers:
‘With regards to technical competence in the construction arena, Kapellmann und Partner is outstanding. The firm appropriately assessed specific issues of our project within the context of current jurisprudence as well as of the practical legal situation. Our expectations, including the internal assessment of negative arguments/position of the opposite party, were more than met.‘
‘Particular lawyers of Kapellmann & Partner stand out due to their high factual competence and very good receptivity. They only have few queries and the collaboration can generally be considered productive. Other firms often have too many queries, since construction matters are not really present within their practice.‘
‘Prof Dr Steding is a real exception among lawyers. He has a good instinct for his clients, the subject matter and can brilliantly assess the use of resources related to possible risks. He understands the language of non-lawyers and translates these into goal formulations in a short amount of time. I’ve never experienced such a skill on this level at any other firm before.‘
‘Prof Dr Fuchs has a high expertise and actively shapes the interpretation of law as well as regulations in construction law by working in different committees. When speaking to us as clients, he always argues comprehensively and helpfully. Thereby, he keeps on challenging us to occupy ourselves with possible objections of the opposite party. He is very solution-oriented and the cost-benefit-factor is always paramount.‘
‘From our point of view, Dr Rütten is an outstanding partner, whose high technical expertise and “tactical instinct” enable him to find pragmatic solutions also in difficult situations.‘
Koeble Donus Fuhrmann Locher Schotten Zahn Rechtsanwälte
In addition to its public and private construction law expertise, the experienced team at Koeble Donus Fuhrmann Locher Schotten Zahn Rechtsanwälte can fall back on a comprehensive advice spectrum. The practice's central pillar is the assistance with engineering and architectural law issues. Furthermore, founding partner Wolfgang Koebele has longstanding expertise in assisting with arbitration proceedings, while the other team member's knowledge ranges from assisting with project developments and construction approval procedures to project execution and the settlement of any kind of disputes.
Kraus, Sienz & Partner
The Munich-based construction law practice at Kraus, Sienz & Partner combines a comprehensive advice offering in private construction law with a high market position at the interface to public law. Bernhard Stolz and Loni Goldbrunner advise public officeholders and bidders on the execution of tender procedures as well as on contentious procurement issues. The group also assists contractors and contracting authorities with plant engineering projects, while the team behind name partner Christian Sienz is regularly instructed by general contractors to advise on contract design and possible litigation.
Leinemann & Partner
Construction boutique offering Leinemann & Partner was able to further consolidate its high reputation by advising on major high-profile projects in the infrastructure sector. A particular strength lies in advising consortiums on motorway construction projects, which are increasingly handled by public-private partnerships. Correspondingly, a team behind Jarl-Hendrik Kues is frequently instructed by general contractors in relation to the overhaul of public transport systems. The practice is led by name partner Ralf Leinemann and also focuses on the representation of prestigious utility companies and engineering corporations in contentious matters in Germany as well as abroad. Most recently, the team went through a period of upheaval: the departure of Birgit Franz and four other lawyers, to found their own unit franz + partner rechtsanwälte, was balanced by the promotion of seven lawyers to the partnership. The renowned Marc Oliver Hilgers focuses on project-related advice for construction and plant engineering projects and assistance with procurement and architectural matters.
Lenz und Johlen
Construction and real estate boutique offering Lenz und Johlen is firmly established in Cologne and advises a client base composed of retail companies from the food and furniture industries as well as several project developers in the housing sector. Besides Philipp Libert's strengths in property law advice to supermarket chains that are seeking expansion as well as in administration of existing facilities, the firm increasingly handles matters pertaining to the revitalisation of conversion sites, both in suburban as well as in densely populated intra-urban locations. Hence, neighbourhood law is paramount to Thomas Elsner's practice group's advice offering. Franz-Josef Pauli retired.
Other key lawyers:
Moderne Stadt GmbH, Köln
Degener-Architekten; Dr. Hesse & Partner GmbH
- Advice to the Düsseldorf project developer Gerchgroup AG on the entire urban development of a new City area in Köln-Mülheim, Deutz Areale, including the entire project management according to civil law.
- Advice on tenancy law and construction support to Degener-Architekten und Dr. Hesse & Partner GmbH on the new construction of the five-storey Phoenix-Arcaden in Dortmund inside a listed brickwork hall from 1938.
- Project management on behalf of REWE on new settlements and on inventory management, in particular on purchase contracts, tenancy agreements and building lease contracts.
Loschelder has a focus on assisting with private construction projects. Besides its traditional strength in contract design in the run-up to transport infrastructure measures, the team around Walter Klein also has longstanding expertise in litigation related to ongoing projects. Although the team operates with a strong emphasis on Cologne, the firm also assists national and international companies with project developments in Germany and abroad. Asset categories include logistic centres as well as business and residential buildings. Under the aegis of real estate lawyer Stefan Stock, the construction law practice could further follow up on its continually increasing demand for advice on student housing.
Jürgen Lauer; Walter Klein; Andreas Fink; Mirko Ehrich
Other key lawyers:
‘Loschelder displays profound knowledge of construction law and is always available for advice.’
‘Walter Klein and Oliver Kerpen have a balanced view of complex litigation and expertly consider both risks and benefits.’
ARGE Nord-Süd Stadtbahn
- Advice to IC-International Campus on the development of micro apartments for students and young professionals in Europe under the trademark The Fizz.
- Advice to Vanderlande on the expansion of the airports Berlin Brandenburg and Frankfurt am Main.
- Support and advice during construction to Prologis on the development of an approximately 100.000 sqm-sized CO2 neutral logistics centre.
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
The construction law practice at Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH has broadened its advice offering in the plant engineering area. Thus, besides its traditional strengths in the health sector and intra-urban project development, advising the public authorities on the construction of gas power plants has become a central pillar of the practice. Here, Karsten Köhler regularly assists municipal utilities with award proceedings as well as with the following construction process. Also in relation to hospital developments, practice heads Achim Meier and Henner-Matthias Puppel specialise in advising both the planning and constructor side on award proceedings for PPP projects. Stephan Finck made partner in July 2018.
‘The firm or rather the lawyer team has been assisting us with various, very different projects for several years. Besides its client-orientation and firm culture, the technical focus on single projects is outstanding.‘
‘The firm has a flexible, creative, solution and goal-oriented work manner; short and fast communication; very good industry knowledge; very good track record.‘
‘The firm offers outstanding competence, very good internal coordination, punctual completion, realistic assessments.‘
‘The firm is very well versed in construction and procurement law and develops practical recommendations even for difficult issues. Mr Puppel and Mr Finck have been reliable and outstanding advisor for years.‘
‘Achim Meier has outstanding experience in assisting with investment and construction projects; innovative contract design and high competencies in the interactive area (including moderating role).‘
‘Achim Meier is confident, lots of expertise, good industry knowledge, great manner of explaining difficult legal matters to clients, practical solutions, eye on costs.‘
‘Daniel Wegener is a top lawyer with a quick grasp. Perfect collaboration, top results, does justice to our company interests.‘
Bundesanstalt für Immobilienaufgaben / Bundesamt für Sicherheit in der Informationstechnologie
Quartier Heidestraße GmbH
Kliniken des Landkreises Lörrach GmbH
- Support to Quartier Heidestraße GmbH with regards to construction law on a large-scale inner-city development project, including the construction of an office building for EUR 250 million.
- Advice on construction and procurement law to Kliniken des Landkreises Lörrach GmbH regarding the conduct of a Europe-wide planning competition to allocate all planning services for the new construction of the clinic-campus in Lörrach to a general planner.
- Strategic advice to the university hospitals Universitätsklinikum Essen and Universitätsklinikum Münster on the implementation of the MedMoP-projects.
Lutz Abel Rechtsanwalts PartG mbB
The core business of LUTZ | ABEL RECHTSANWALTS PARTG MBB's construction law group is the assistance with infrastructure measures. The team behind 'highly experienced deal maker' Wolfgang Abel particularly stands out for its advice on complex tunnel construction projects and resulting disputes. In the adjudication proceedings field, the team regularly represents developers in sometimes high-volume disputes with contracting authorities. Daniel Junk, who joined in 2018, is establishing a good reputation for his construction and procurement advice to national garden shows. Another pillar of the practice is project-related assistance with hospital developments, while the participation in Germany's first multi-party agreement on behalf of Lindner AG was an important mile stone. Furthermore, the practice welcomed construction and architectural lawyer Ulrich Eix from Menold Bezler in May 2019 as salary partner.
Other key lawyers:
Daniel Junk; Robert Castor; Michael Stoll; Hubert Bauriedl
‘The practice advises with outstanding competence on public and private construction law, real estate law and commercial law including public procurement law.‘
‘Large, competent team that also has colleagues from other practice areas (e.g. corporate law) at their command, who were needed in proceedings at short notice (here: proceedings relating to supplementary claims).
‘Serious legal advice (representation of all arguments both for as well as against our own position) – consequent and legally outstanding defence of the opinion, although in a calm and valued manner (also towards the opposite party). Very good industry knowledge (also related to construction), very good knowledge and quick grasp of technical construction matters. Large firm that also has appropriate capacities for specific issues (procurement law, insolvency law etc).’
‘Dr Bauriedl is a competent partner, who also has deep knowledge in the construction field. His colleagues are reliable and dutiful.‘
‘Dr Stoll is a longstanding advisor of our company and advises with very high technical competence, but also impresses with a very pragmatic approach during contract negotiations and in relation to client disputes.‘
‘Dr Wolfgang Abel offers excellent legal knowledge, serious advice, appreciative contact, transparency towards the client, quick grasp of technical contexts, outstanding strategic advice.‘
‘Herr Abel predominantly isn’t a lawyer, but a highly experienced deal maker; one is happy to have him by his side.‘
‘Dr Rainer Kohlhammer offers very short response times, fast sound replies, honest advice without aiming for litigation, clear precise language for non-lawyers.‘
ARGE Tunnel RASTATT
ARGE Tunnel Hauptbahnhof 2. S-Bahn Stammstrecke
Bundesgartenschau Mannheim 2023 GmbH
KASIG Karlsruher Schieneninfrastruktur- Gesellschaft mbH
- Comprehensive advice on construction and procurement law to the Projektgesellschaft Bundesgartenschau Mannheim 2023 Gmbh.
- Advice to the Lindner AG on the completion of innovative multi-party agreements concerning the conference hotel Hafencity in Hamburg.
- Legal examination of a claim regarding construction time in the triple-digit million-euro range on behalf of the KASIG Karlsruher Schieneninfrastruktur- Gesellschaft mbH. First mandate from a contracting authority with such a high volume.
Noerr's construction law group focuses on the plant engineering sector and often represents contractors in contentious matters. The client base includes leading German car manufacturers and numerous international corporations as well as market players in research-intensive sectors such as electronics, pharmaceuticals and aerospace technologies. Thus, the team around Stefan Weise and Volker Bock is particularly well versed in the development of extensive specialist properties, which either serve production or testing purposes. Another important pillar of the practice is the longterm assistance with logistic sites, while the firm also demonstrates additional competencies in the development of new city quarters.
Stefan Weise; Volker Bock
Orth Kluth Rechtsanwälte
The advice offering at Orth Kluth Rechtsanwälte mainly includes the assistance of trade and manufacturing companies with construction-related matters pertaining to the extension of existing facilities as well as the ongoing representation of contractors in out-of-court and court disputes. Thereby, the group has a clear focus on advising clients from the special civil engineering sector, both on the enforcement of utilisation in relation to major construction projects as well as on complex soil protection measures in the run-up to construction site realisations. Manja Steinicke made partner in January 2019.
Other key lawyers:
‘High expertise, very good availability.‘
Implenia Construction Sparte
RWE Power AG
ZETCON Ingenieure GmbH
ARGE Bochum MARK
Keller Grundbau GmbH
- Legal representation in court, representation in arbitration proceedings and construction advice and support to companies of the Implenia Construction-sector, in particular the Implenia Spezialtiefbau GmbH on several building projects.
- Legal project management of the RWE Power AG on the expansion by one more building of the headquarters-campus in Essen, which is currently being constructed.
- Comprehensive project advice to the Akasol AG on the construction of the new company’s headquarters in Darmstadt.
Redeker Sellner Dahs
Redeker Sellner Dahs' plant construction-focused practice is particularly well versed in representing clients in predominantly international complaint proceedings that can arise from power plant developments in Germany and abroad. Philipp Hummel, a young partner that often acts in arbitration, is also active in complex partial divestures of production facilities, while Thomas Thierau is regularly instructed in relation to the new development of hospitals. Another focus of practice head Dieter Merkens' team is the assistance with infrastructure projects on behalf of the German government. Burkhard Messerschmidt belongs to the leading lawyers in private construction law.
Ed Züblin AG
RWE Power AG
- Project support and advice to the Ed Züblin AG on a subway construction, which, due to a significant accident on the building site, degenerated from the pre-trial legal representation to court proceedings for alleged involuntary manslaughter worth billions.
- Legal representation of the RWE Power AG in several comprehensive court proceedings in the course of the new construction of the power station Neurath. The value of the proceedings was an estimated EUR 2 billion.
- Advice to the Bayer AG in the course of the ten-digit-sale of crop-science-production sites to BASF, which required the drafting of complex structures concerning land law, heritable building rights, as well as contract design regarding tenancy, lease and service provisions.
Construction law boutique SMNG Rechtsanwälte has a broad client base composed of construction companies, engineers and the public authorities. Here, the team behind founding partner Michael Griem and Christian Niemöller is particularly renowned for its expertise in contract design and litigation in the private construction law field. Additional strengths lie in architectural, procurement and engineering law as well as in due diligence.
Michael Griem; Christian Niemöller
STASSEN LLP Rechtsanwälte und Notare
STASSEN LLP Rechtsanwälte und Notare continues to focus on contractual advice to architecture societies in the run-up to administration building developments. Another important part of the group's daily business is the representation of contracting authorities in damages claim proceedings in relation to ongoing construction projects, while Florian Diestelmann and Anne Schönbrunn , who is well versed in litigation, also advise on construction project-related matters. In the latter area, the team regularly assists the contracting authorities with the restoration and reconstruction of cultural monuments.
Other key lawyers:
Florian Diestelmann; Anne Schönbrünn; Uwe Mehlitz
Ortner & Ortner Baukunst Gesellschaft von Architekten mbH
Granz & Zecher Gesellschaft von Architekten mbH
Stiftung Berliner Schloss
- Advice to Ortner & Ortner Baukunst Gesellschaft von Architekten mbH on the design of the general planner contract previous to the new construction of the DGB-Zentrale in Berlin.
- Advice to Granz & Zecher Gesellschaft von Architekten mbH on the refining of the architect contract previous to the new construction of the Vattenfall-Zentrale in Berlin Südkreuz.
- Ongoing advice during construction to Schindler Deutschland.
The construction law team at Taylor Wessing impresses with proven expertise in handling plant engineering projects in the energy, manufacturing and mechanical engineering sectors. The advice spectrum includes assistance with award and arbitration proceedings as well as contract negotiations and land development. Janina Pochhammer is the key contact for clients from the renewable energy sector, where the ongoing advice to operating companies in relation to on and offshore windparks particularly stands out. The group around experienced litigator Michael Baumhauer was further strengthened by Marc-Sebastian Muhle's promotion to salary partner in January 2019; he specialises in ship construction.
Other key lawyers:
Bundesministerium der Verteidigung (BMVg) / Bundesamt für Ausrüstung, Informationstechnik und Nutzung der Bundeswehr (BAAINBw)
Clenergy Global Projects GmbH
- Advice on matters of contract, planning and land law to Clenergy Global Projects GmbH on the purchase and implementation of two photovoltaic ground-mounted projects in East-Germany.
- Advice to medicines and clinical investigational drug manufacturer Corden Pharma Arzneimittel with regards to planning and construction of a production plant for veterinary medicinal products at the production site of the client in Plankstadt.
- Advice to PVC-manufacturer Vynova on the contract design and negotiation of a EPCM-contract with regards to the modification of a production plant at the site in Wilhemshaven as well as advice on contract design with regards to construction and refurbishment of a production plant in Great Britain.
The construction law group at WAGENSONNER preferably assists with construction planning, construction regulation, planning permission, environmental and soil protection aspects of major construction projects. Practice head Andreas Helm, Götz Mezger and Benjamin Gartz jointly advise a client base composed of all construction project participants. Competencies of the broadly positioned team range from assistance with award procedures and contract design to representation in both civil courts as well as in arbitration.
Andreas Helm; Götz Mezger; Benjamin Gartz
From its two offices in Munich and Berlin, the construction practice at Zirngibl covers all traditional construction law matters ranging from contract design and project management to litigation. The client base includes engineering and architect offices as well as contracting authorities and building societies. Additional strengths exist in planning and soil protection law. Andreas Dingler is the main contact.
Other key lawyers: