In the midcap-segment, Hengeler Mueller frequently advises on transactions with regard to the regulated industries, such as chemistry, healthcare and automotive as well as media. Most recently, the team assisted with several public takeovers and cooperated closely with the firm's restructuring practice in the course of distressed M&A mandates. The client portfolio includes major national and international corporations and DAX30-companies. Maximilian Schiessl has a strong focus on cross-border transactions, while Hans-Jörg Ziegenhain predominantly acts with a focus on major corporations and private equity.
M&A: mid-sized deals (sub-€500m) in Germany
The M&A team at Linklaters is instructed by major multinational corporations, DAX30-companies and financial investors on all forms of domestic and cross-border deals. Strong synergies exist with the firm's corporate, capital markets and private equity practices. Hans-Ulrich Wilsing and Ralph Wollburg are renowned transaction experts, Kristina Klaaßen-Kaiser manages the German Latin America desk and has strong expertise in cross-border mergers and takeovers, and Tim Johannsen-Roth heads the team from the Düsseldorf office.
The transaction practice at Baker McKenzie particularly stands out due to numerous cross-border mandates, predominantly with reference to China, Japan and Europe, as well as profound industry know-how in the areas of healthcare, telecoms and automotive. Practice heads Christian Atzler and Ingo Strauss and their team assist DAX30-companies, international corporations and family businesses with mergers and takeovers on both the buyer and seller side, but also advise on carve-outs and post-M&A scenarios. In Germany, Heiko Gotsche has longstanding experience in advising family offices and listed companies and regularly assists with cross-border matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Available at any time, even on weekends. Well informed about the matter and the state of affairs. Ready to listen.‘
- Hitachi Chemical Company, Ltd.: Advice on the takeover of the German apceth Biopharma.
- Toppan Printing Co Ltd: Advising on the takeover of the German Interprint Group from Wrede Industrieholding.
- AESKU.GROUP: Advising on the acquisition of the Des Plaines, Illinois-based immunofluorescence testing specialist MBL BION from MBL International Inc., a company of JSR Corporation.
Gleiss Lutz comprehensively advises major listed corporations and family companies on mid-cap transactions on the buyer and seller side. The group regularly assists with public takeovers and distressed M&A at the intersection with insolvency law. The team frequently advises on mandates in connection with the energy sector, where the most recent focus was on outbound transactions. Due to the full-service approach, clients are advised with adjoining expertise from the areas of financing, restructuring and reorganisation, as well as cross-border expertise through a global network of leading independent law firms. Ralf Morshäuser in Munich heads the practice.
Latham & Watkins LLP's service offering in the mid-cap field includes acquisitions, sales, joint ventures and mergers, but the practice particularly stands out for its expertise in public takeovers. The client portfolio is mainly composed of major German and international stock-listed corporations, upper medium-sized companies, DAX30-companies and family businesses, which can count on the team's capital markets, financing, restructuring and corporate expertise. In the course of cross-border transactions, the team frequently co-operates with the firm's European and American offices. Burc Hesse in Munich heads the team. Natalie Daghles, Martin Neuhaus, Rainer Wilke and Harald Selzner joined Noerr.
Aareal Bank AG
Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB)
Rhön Klinikum AG
- Aareal Bank AG: Advice on shareholder activist engagement.
- BayWa AG: Advice on the planned financing round at BayWa.
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB): Advice on co-investments in the KKR takeover process for Axel Springer, including the voluntary takeover offer and the subsequent delisting offer for Axel Springer.
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP regularly advises on mid-cap-transactions in the energy, life sciences and insurance sector. The client base mainly consists of German blue-chip companies, listed corporations and financial investors; the latter regularly seek the private equity expertise of the team. Cross-practice know-how is also evident in connection with stock corporation, banking and capital markets law. With regard to cross-border matters, the group frequently co-operates with the firm's global offices. Nicolaus Ascherfeld heads the team from the Hamburg office.
Other key lawyers:
‘No processing according to the files, it is incorporated into the mindset and mentality of the company, the client’s peculiarities are always taken into account. Theory and pragmatism always go hand in hand.‘
‘Very quick familiarization, although the company was not yet known, repeated consultation with the company in order to understand the needs correctly, very flexible in terms of time, reliable keeping of promises in terms of time and content.‘
ISRA VISION AG
Hamburger Gesellschaft für Vermögens- und Beteiligungsmanagement (HGV)
KWS SAAT SE
Elmos Semiconductor Aktiengesellschaft
CPO Holding (GmbH & Co.) KG
CORESTATE Capital Holding S.A.
Tokai Carbon Co. Ltd.
Zurich Insurance Plc
Great-West Lifeco Inc.
- Engie: Advising on the takeover of the Powerlines Group via Engie Energy Services International SA from Gilde Buy Out Partners.
- KWS SAAT SE: Advising on the acquisition of the Dutch company Pop Vriend Seeds.
- GERRY WEBER International AG: Advising on the sale of its most important subsidiary, the Hallhuber Group, as a first step in connection with its restructuring to the distressed funds Robus and Whitebox.
Clifford Chance focuses on national and cross-border mid-cap deals with reference to the energy, infrastructure, healthcare, life sciences, automotive and technology industries. Besides listed companies and major corporations, the team also advises financial institutions and investors. The management of the practice is shared by energy expert Anselm Raddatz and cross-border specialist Thomas Krecek. Martin Weitenberg and Werner Brickwedde joined Eversheds Sutherland.
‘High quality and enormous penetration in all jurisdictions. One stop shop approach.’
‘Dr. Brother is an experienced M&A lawyer who reaches the goal with calm and prudence. Extremely good negotiator.‘
The corporate and M&A team at CMS predominantly assists major international corporations, listed companies and family businesses in Germany and abroad with transactions in the mid-sized segment. Buyers as well as sellers are advised on acquisitions, mergers and increasingly on distressed M&A. The team has particular sector expertise in technology, energy, automotive, infrastructure and life sciences; Thomas Meyding in particular has longstanding expertise in the media, automotive and financial sectors. Maximilian Grub in Stuttgart, Ernst-Markus Schuberth in Düsseldorf and Richard Mitterhuber in Munich jointly head the practice.
Other key lawyers:
For transactions in the mid-cap segment, DLA Piper has an experienced team of M&A experts who regularly advise DAX30-companies, upper mid-sized companies and international corporations on high-profile mergers, takeovers and increasingly on distressed M&A. The practice has particular expertise in the energy, technology, chemistry and healthcare sectors, as well as financial service providers. The team regularly handles cross-border matters; particularly noteworthy here is the firm's Africa desk, managed by Sebastian Decker who was promoted to partner in May 2019. Nils Krause and Benjamin Parameswaran are known for their transactional expertise in cross-border deals and jointly head the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Bauer Media Group
Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG
Helios Investment Partners
KRAHN Chemie GmbH
Rolls-Royce Power Systems AG
Senvion Holding GmbH
- France Air: Advice on the takeover of the ventilation technology division of SIG plc.
- Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG: Advice on the comprehensive package of measures announced by the company to increase profitability, as well as on all M&A transactions during the transformation.
- Wipro Limited: Advising on the acquisition of International TechneGroup Incorporated (ITI), a global company for digital technology and manufacturing solutions.
The M&A team at Eversheds Sutherland mainly advises DAX-companies, upper medium-sized companies and financial investors on mid-cap transactions, with an industry focus on technology, telecoms, healthcare and real estate; clients often seek simultaneous advice from the firm's adjoining private equity, tax and employment law practices. In 2020, the team notably expanded with the additions of Michael Prüßner from Pinsent Masons Germany LLP as well as Werner Brickwedde and Martin Weitenberg from Clifford Chance. The practice group is led by Christof Lamberts.
DER Touristik Group (Rewe Group)
Sims Metal Management
AURELIUS Equity Opportnunities
Harmonic Drive SE
Nuveen Real Estate
HBB Capital Investors
- German fiber optics: Advice on the sale of the company to EQT and OMERS.
- Ricoh: Advice on the takeover of the German-American workflow specialist Docuware.
- DER Touristik Group (REWE Group): Advising on the takeover of CK Fischer by its Prague subsidiary Exim.
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH predominantly advises upper medium-sized companies, DAX30 companies and international companies on transactions in the mid-cap segment. The team is experienced in the telecoms, healthcare and energy sectors. The firm also has strong cross-border expertise through its foreign desks, including China and Italy. Thomas Kuhnle in Stuttgart heads the M&A group. Michael Krömker and Xi Xie joined Dentons in December 2020.
‘Very pragmatic and efficient team. Adequate leverage. Highly recommended.‘
‘Tailored, cost-effective advice for midcap mandates.‘
‘Dr. Christian Horn: good knowledge of the industry and negotiating skills, adequate support ensured even for smaller mandates.‘
MANN + HUMMEL GmbH & Co. KG
IDT Biologika GmbH
TrailStone GmbH / TrailStone UK Ltd.
- Eneco BV: Advising on the sale of Eneco BV to Mitsubishi and Chubu Electric Power in the amount of €4.1bn, in particular vendor due diligence for the German companies of the Eneco Group.
- IDT Biologika GmbH: Comprehensive advice on the sale of the Animal Health division to the French company CEVA SANTE ANIMALE.
- TrailStone Germany GmbH: Advice on the sale of Energy2 Market GmbH to the French EDF group.
Noerr stands out due to 'exceptionally fast, direct advice', and assists major corporations as well as German medium-sized companies with transactions in the financial services, media and energy sectors, as well as retail. The team is also regularly active in distressed M&A transactions. Besides the Japan desk, which is still in a developing stage, Florian Becker also advises Chinese investors on cross-border transactions via the established China desk. He jointly heads the group with Alexander Hirsch, who advises DAX30 and MDAX companies on investments and joint ventures, with a strong focus on technology companies.
‘Very cost-efficient M&A team for companies – with exceptionally fast, direct advice and guidance of the highest quality.‘
‘Florian Becker’s attention and responsiveness is extraordinary.‘
‘Extremely customer-oriented, very pragmatic and business-minded in the approach, broad expertise, always available, fast response times, high quality.‘
‘Always solution-oriented, infinitely pragmatic, but always technically precise.’
‘Dr. Tibor Fedke – always calmly analyzing, always good ideas, always looking for a way out, thinking economically.‘
AURELIUS Equity Opportunities
Bauer Media Group
Cushman & Wakefield
Thomas Cook Group
Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. (KKR)
Wumei Technology Group
- Equity SE & Co. KGaA: Advice on the acquisition of the Willi Elbe Group.
- AURELIUS Equity Opportunities SE & Co. KGaA: Advising on the takeover of two divisions from the American corporation Woodward, Inc.
- comdirect bank AG: Advice on the public acquisition offer by Commerzbank.
SZA Schilling, Zutt & Anschütz Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
The transaction experts at SZA Schilling, Zutt & Anschütz Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH assist mainly medium-sized German companies and major corporations with mergers, company acquisitions and sales in Germany as well as abroad. The team also frequently advises on cross-practice matters with the help of its corporate, antitrust, employment and foreign trade colleagues. Jochem Reichert in Mannheim and Marc Löbbe in Frankfurt jointly head the practice with Oliver Schröder, who joined from Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton; the latter predominantly focuses on strategic investors and private equity transactions. The team also welcomed Martin Kolbinger from CMS.
Other key lawyers:
‘The quality of each individual consultant in their specialty is exceptional, combined with an overarching understanding of entrepreneurial needs and combining both in a goal-oriented and profitable manner.‘
‘The individual persons are characterized by excellent specialist knowledge, but at the same time also have excellent overarching knowledge. You are in constant contact with specialists and add this knowledge according to your task .‘
‘The team has a homogeneous, very high level of knowledge and knowledge of the client. Very good business approach. Team big enough to be able to react to failures and other circumstances at short notice.‘
ISARIA Wohnbau AG
Gesellschafter der Lekkerland AG & Co. KG
JM Holding GmbH & Co. KGaA
Neel Metal Limited
ZIM Flugsitz GmbH
Investoren der Kumovis GmbH
Gesellschafter der Weinstil oHG
Good Brands AG
Marabek International LLC
- ISARIA Wohnbau AG: Advice in connection with the sale of a substantial part of the portfolio, including the associated platform, to Deutsche Wohnen.
- innogy SE: Advising the Supervisory Board on the planned transaction between RWE AG and E.ON SE and the takeover offer from a subsidiary of E.ON SE.
- Company of the Lekkerland AG & Co. KG: Advice on the sale of the company to the Rewe Group, in particular on negotiating the share purchase agreement.
Companies from the technology, energy, infrastructure, life sciences and healthcare sectors seek out Taylor Wessing's transactional expertise in the mid-cap segment. The practice is particularly well versed in transatlantic transactions, due to the firm's connections to the US market. The group, led by Klaus Grossmann, regularly co-operates with the corporate and capital markets practices, and the China desk, managed by Michael-Florian Ranft, also contributes to a busy workload. Among the client base are listed national and international companies, upper medium-sized companies, banks and startups.
‘Mr von Beauvais is one of the few lawyers who, in addition to excellent legal advice, not only understands and anticipates the economic implications, but also takes them into account directly or even steers the WPs in the deal in the right direction.‘
‘The M&A team around Albrecht von Beauvais is characterized by its high technical quality as well as its ability to work under extreme time pressure. Albrecht von Beauvais is an excellent negotiator.‘
‘Albrecht von Beauvais is an excellent negotiator. Sonja Leutnant impresses with her excellent organizational skills and her professional competence and accuracy.‘
Bank Schilling & Co. AG
Carl Cloos Holding GmbH & Co. KG
Compagnie de Saint Gobain
DEAG Deutsche Entertainment AG
Imperial Logistics International B.V. & Co. KG
Sixt Leasing SE
Wuxi OFC Commercial Carpet Co.
- REWE Group: Advice on all legal issues in connection with the takeover of the Lekkerland Group.
- Imperial Logistics International B.V. & Co. KG: Advice on the sale of the European inland shipping division to Häfen und Güterverkehr Köln AG by way of a bidding process.
- Aroundtown SA: Advice on the public takeover offer in the form of an exchange offer by TLG Immobilien AG, which is listed in the SDAX.
White & Case LLP's core business includes deals in Germany and abroad as well as distressed M&A, which are often advised on in co-operation with the insolvency and restructuring practices. The team, led by Darragh Byrne, mainly advises major corporations and listed companies from the technology, automotive, chemistry, real estate and energy industries, but also assists financial investors, especially with private equity transactions. Clients seeking transactional advice with reference to the Middle East can rely on Murad Daghles as a well versed point of contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘We have been working together for over 6 months and are fully satisfied with the quality, availability and expertise of the entire team provided by W&C.‘
‘In particular, we would like to highlight our leading partner on the W&C side, Mr Matthias Kasch, for his exceptional commitment to the project, his very valuable insights and strategies and the coordination of his legal team.‘
Saudi Arabian Industrial Investments Company (DUSSUR)
Mubadala Investment Company
Orascom Development Holding
Saudi Aramco Energy Ventures
- Clariant AG: Advising on the sale of its healthcare packaging business to the New York private equity fund Arsenal CapitalPartners in a bidding process.
- Syncier GmbH (subsidiary of Allianz SE): Advising on the acquisition of the software consulting companies Expleo Group Management Consulting Austria GmbH and Expleo Consulting Germany GmbH.
- Tradegate Exchange GmbH: Advice on the acquisition of Börse Berlin AG.
Ashurst LLP advises mainly medium-sized and listed companies as well as financial investors on mergers, takeovers, company acquisitions and sales in the mid-cap sector. The department co-operates on a cross-practice basis with the financing and restructuring teams. Thomas Sacher in Munich heads the team.
Bird & Bird LLP advises medium-sized companies, startups and multinational corporations on acquisitions, mergers and takeovers and is mainly active in the technology, automotive and life sciences sectors. The team assists with both pre and post aspects of a transaction with the help of expertise from the finance, antitrust, employment and real estate practices. Marc Seeger joined the firm in the autumn of 2020 from Hengeler Mueller. Peter Veranneman heads the group.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent M&A advice throughout the transaction, always available and focused.’
‘The team around Alfred Herda and Stephanie Orttmann did a great job and supported us in all business legal and practical challenges. Always available and fast.‘
Avery Dennison Corporation
DBAG Expansion Capital Fund (DBAG ECF)
Concepta Projektentwicklung GmbH
FAST LEAN SMART Group GmbH
ISR – International School on the Rhine
Korian Deutschland AG
Matomy Media Group Ltd.
Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
PBU CAD-Systeme GmbH
Precision for Medicine
Sapiens International Corporation
Schnaitt Internationale Messe- und Ladenbau GmbH
Serum Institute of India Pvt. Ltd.
- Avery Dennison Corporation: Advice on the €225m takeover of Smartrac’s RFID transponder business.
- FUJIFILM Group: Advice on the acquisition of medwork GmbH.
- Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation: Advice on the acquisition of all shares in cmp GmbH.
Led by Federico Pappalardo, the M&A practice at Dechert LLP predominantly assists institutional investors as well as national and international companies with transactions in the mid-cap sector and shares a big part of its workload with the venture capital and private equity teams. Besides strong expertise in M&A, private equity and venture capital, Giovanni Russo also focuses on cross-border restructurings as well as joint ventures, while Carina Klaes-Staudt has experience in M&A, private equity and venture capital, especially with reference to different forms of management participation schemes.
‘Mr Russo is an excellent expert advisor. He is very responsive to the needs and requirements of the client. Mr. Russo structures the M&A transactions in a very target and success-oriented manner. He is able to solve very complex and difficult tasks in the interests of the client.‘
American Express Global Business Travel (GBT)
Assmann Holding GmbH
Mid Europa Partners
One Equity Partners
- American Express Global Business Travel (GBT): Advice on the purchase of the business travel chain DER Business Travel from DER Touristik Central Europe, part of the REWE Group.
- Shurgard Self Storage SA: Advice on the acquisition of the Munich company ZeitLager Self Storage GmbH with four storage centres in Munich and Landshut.
- Assmann Holding GmbH: Advising on the sale of 50% of the shares in the ASSMANN Group as part of an auction process to the Luxembourg-listed investment holding Luxempart SA.
In the mid-cap segment, Hogan Lovells International LLP's service offering includes sales, mergers and joint ventures. The team is frequently active in the healthcare, life sciences and automotive sectors as well as financial service providers. Lutz Angerer, whose transactional expertise in life sciences is highly appreciated, heads the team, which also counts Volker Geyrhalter as a member; the latter manages the continental European corporate and M&A group and focuses on international TMT and real estate transactions.
Bundesrepublik Deutschland – Finanzagentur GmbH (Deutsche Finanzagentur)
drom fragrances GmbH & Co. KG
Endemol Shine Group Germany
Ford Motor Company
Intuitive Surgical Inc.
TSR Recycling GmbH & Co.KG
Vienna House Hotelmanagement GmbH
- Intuitive Surgical Inc.: Advice on the takeover of the robotic endoscope business from Schölly Fiberoptic GmbH.
- Endemol Shine Group Germany: Advice on the sale of its shares in W&B Television GmbH & Co. KG to LEONINE.
- WAS: Advising on the acquisition of the German pharmaceutical company Riemser von Ardian.
Mayer Brown LLP
Mayer Brown LLP has profound expertise in acquisitions, sales and joint ventures as well as distressed M&A; the team also often advises at the intersection with private equity and capital markets. Led by Julian Lemor, the group focuses on the technology, foods, finance, automotive and real estate sectors, among others. The client portfolio is mainly composed of national and international investors, as well as private equity funds.
‘Very reliable and efficient team with a sense for the essentials and feasible. Marco Wilhelm (partner), Tina Hoffman and Stefanie Skuruppa (associates) embody the characteristics mentioned in particular.‘
Avedon Capital Partners
Bain Capital LLC
Hauck & Aufhäuser Privatbankiers AG
Kouros France SAS
Bisquiva GmbH & Co. KG
Deutsche Beteiligungs AG
Knorr-Bremse Steering System
Benteler International AG
The Jordan Company
Mitsubishi Corporation SAS
- TUI AG: Advice on the sale of the two German specialist tour operators Berge & Meer Touristik GmbH and Boomerang Reisen GmbH to the holding company GENUI Partners.
- Hauck & Aufhäuser Privatbankiers AG: Advising on the acquisition of Bankhaus Lampe KG from the Oetker Group.
Milbank advises financial investors, listed German and international corporations as well as media groups on medium-sized transactions in Germany and abroad, with a focus on post-merger integration, public takeovers, due diligence as well as transactions at the intersection with venture capital and private equity. The team has particular industry expertise in energy, pharma, automotive, telecoms and software. Besides M&A know-how, Peter Nussbaum also has experience in dispute resolution and Arndt Stengel frequently advises financial institutions and investors on cross-border matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Milbank team based in Frankfurt is special in that customers of senior partners with a broad corporate and M&A background receive maximum attention so that complex situations and transactions can initially be analyzed very quickly and holistically and ultimately carried out with the greatest possible feasibility. Really impressive display.‘
Auto1 Group SE
Conet Technologies AG
d&b audiotechnik GmbH
H. C. Starck Group
NuCom Group SE
Philipp Lahm Holding GmbH
ProSiebenSat. 1 Media SE
PTV Planung Transport Verkehr AG
Quarton International AG
Schoeller Group GmbH
SHL Medical AG
Smith & Nephew plc
- SHL Medical majority shareholder: Advising the majority shareholders on an agreement on a minority stake in the Swiss-based SHL.
- Smith & Nephew plc: Advising on the acquisition of Atracsys Sàrl, a Swiss provider of optical tracking technology for computer-aided surgery.
- Futrue GmbH: Advice on the sale of PharmaSGP GmbH and other investments in a dual-track process (IPO or trade sale).
Norton Rose Fulbright frequently assists financial investors, upper medium-sized companies and listed national and international companies with mid-cap transactions in the healthcare, energy, technology, automotive, insurance and financial industries. The team often advises in conjunction with the private equity and capital markets groups, and seeks assistance from the firm's global offices on cross-border issues. Stefan Feuerriegel in Hamburg and Frank Regelin in Frankfurt jointly head the team, which welcomed Philipp Grzimek from Jones Day in July 2020; he is particularly well versed in transactions pertaining to the insurance sector.
‘Very pragmatic, forward-looking and targeted legal advice; practically very usable.‘
‘Karsten Kühnle – very close to the client, always available, forward-looking, proactive legal advice, which is dealt with in a practical manner and is conveyed without too many “if then” reservations. Thus, high practical benefit of the advice; very pleasant cooperation. In difficult negotiations, mediating rather than confrontational, but still determines what is in the client’s business interests. Very good partner for the in-house department.‘
‘Advice to the point.‘
‘The team is very competent and works very solution-oriented. For us as a customer with a global parent company, it is important to have a team of lawyers who can move around different cultures without offending. As a Norton Rose customer, we have had consistently positive experiences. Price-performance ratio is right at this law firm.‘
‘As a partner of Norton Rose, Dr Marco Niehaus looked after us completely. We have been working with Dr Niehaus for over five years and it has always been at the highest level.‘
ADLER Real Estate AG
Bayerische Motoren Werke (BMW) Aktiengesellschaft
Bilcare Research AG
Niederländische Pensionsfonds APG
Signal Iduna Holding AG und msg group GmbH
Tenova S.p.a. (Techint group)
Energizer Holdings, Inc
- Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft (BMW): Advice on the conclusion of a joint venture with Daimler AG (Daimler).
- Energizer Holdings, Inc.: Advice on the sale of the VARTA consumer battery business to Varta AG.
- Canopy Growth: Advising on the takeover of the Cannabinoid Compound Company (C3), which was founded by the Germany-based Bionorica SE.
Oppenhoff advises domestic and international investors on acquisitions, joint ventures and sales in the mid-cap segment. Its mandates frequently have a cross-border reference and mainly stem from the chemistry, trade, manufacturing, logistics, engineering and IT industries. Practice head Peter Etzbach, among others, advises on financing matters and capital markets law. In the spring of 2020, Christoph Niemeyer joined GÖRG Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB, whereas Gregor Seikel joined the team from GSK Stockmann at the beginning of 2020.
Other key lawyers:
‘Bundled expertise in complex issues.‘
‘Very pronounced knowledge of the industry. Therefore, particularly quick and efficient coordination on the relevant topics. With other law firms, the specifics of the branch would still have to be explained in detail.‘
‘Mr. Gaudig is a long-standing, reliable and excellent expert in the industry. In addition to his outstanding legal skills, he is characterized by special negotiation skills.‘
Deutsche Post AG
Zürich Gruppe Deutschland
Expleo Deutschland Holding
- Zurich Beteiligungs-AG: Advice on the acquisition of InsurTech Dentolo, a digital insurance agent for supplementary dental insurance.
- Siemens AG: Sale of the eAircraft business to RollsRoyce.
- Rheinenergie / EnBW: Advice on the joint sale of its respective stake in the listed energy company MVV.
Arqis Rechtsanwälte's team focuses on domestic and international mid-cap transactions. The client base consists of medium-sized as well as listed companies. The Japan desk is particularly noteworthy, and is managed by Shigeo Yamaguchi, who jointly heads the transactional and corporate practice with Jörn-Christian Schulze. The latter has profound expertise in the healthcare sector.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very well-founded, solution-oriented feedback. Technically very precise and up-to-date, whereby the commercial perspective is not disregarded.‘
‘Jörn-Christian Schulze – Very experienced consultant with in-depth knowledge who is always ready with a solution very quickly. Always quick feedback. I feel well advised all round.‘
‘Dr. Lars Laeger – High flexibility.‘
‘Mirjam Boche – Very experienced consultant with in-depth knowledge, also in secondary areas, who is always ready with a solution very quickly. Always quick feedback, I feel well advised all round.‘
‘High consulting competence, wide range of specialist areas, fast response times.‘
‘Good coordination, flexibility and technical expertise.‘
‘It’s not just the size of the firm / service that is convincing, but also the quality of advice across all levels. We always receive reliable information on every subject area, especially in M&A matters, we find significant differences compared to the lawyers on the buyer / seller side. The law firm enjoys our full confidence, we provide the lawyers with a full negotiation mandate on a case-by-case basis. Remarkable from our point of view: the law firm does not speak to the client by the mouth, but presents the situation according to legal principles, we know from the start what we are getting into in each individual case.‘
‘Dr. Jörn-Christian Schulze: In every point of view, THE consultant you want. Not only of high legal quality, but also strong and convincing. In addition, humanly inspiring. Important in this context: Dr. Schulze selects the lawyers according to his high expectations and standards, which speaks for the broad quality of the law firm.‘
‘Value for money boutique. The legal quality is very good, especially due to the high number of partners on mandates.‘
‘Dr. Mirjam Boche: High commitment to clients and good negotiating skills. Organizes the M&A process very professionally and with a good overall view. Legal competence in the area of contracts is exceptionally good in comparison to significantly higher-priced competitors.‘
Ceva Santé Animale SA
Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd.
HALEX Holding GmbH
Megger Group Limited
Plukon Food Group B.V.
Sankyo Tateyama, Inc.
Gesellschafter der INTORQ GmbH & Co. KG.
- CRH plc.: Advising on the sale of its European distribution business to a private equity fund managed by Blackstone for an enterprise value of € 1.64bn.
- Ceva Santé Animale SA: Advising on the acquisition of the global animal health division and the associated R&D unit of IDT Biologika GmbH.
- Kyocera: Advice on the acquisition of the high-performance ceramics division of Friatec GmbH.
Multidisciplinary and cross-border-oriented, the team at Deloitte Legal Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH advises investors, medium-sized companies and listed corporations on mid-cap transactions. Recently, the group welcomed counsel Marc Oliver Stock from Allen & Overy LLP. Markus Schackmann advises on national and international transactions, including carve-outs and financing matters and Michael von Rüden frequently advises on complex domestic and cross-border deals as well as on private equity; both jointly head the practice from the Düsseldorf office.
‘Suitable for medium-sized companies, proactive use of IT tools.‘
‘Dr. Markus Schackmann, pragmatic and good economic understanding, good negotiator.‘
‘Small, powerful, always approachable transaction team in Düsseldorf; rich experience; proven expertise; great interaction with StB; Compared to other practices, greater concern with the wishes and goals of the clientele; atmospherically outstanding.‘
‘Andreas Jentgens: pragmatic, quick, available at almost any time of the day or night. Train to the gate, get ready. Klaus Gresbrand: precise, reliable, calm, fits perfectly with AJ.‘
‘Dr. Michael von Rüden: extremely high level of commitment, excellent quality, good team management, excellent negotiating skills, on the topic at the time and with a good overview of the project, extremely reliable.‘
TRIMET Aluminium SE
Main Capital Partners B.V.
Refresco Deutschland GmbH
KYOCERA Document Solutions
TÜV Rheinland AG
Verifone Holding GmbH
Rheinische Post Mediengruppe
Mondelez Deutschland GmbH
DMK Deutsches Milchkontor GmbH
Salzgitter Maschinenbau AG
B3i Services AG
Honda Motor Europe Limited
Teijin Frontier Co. , Ltd. Japan
Grupo Alimentario Citrus, S.L., Spanien
cws boco International GmbH
SCM Group. Italy
ADC Blackfire Entertainment s.r.o.
Circ IT GmbH & Co. KG
DVV Media Group GmbH
Unity Semiconductor SAS, Frankreich
Deutsche Messe AG
ProServ – Medien Service Gesellschaft mbH / Münchener Zeitungs-Verlag GmbH & Co. KG
Toyoda Gosei Co. Ltd.
Kasai Kogyo Co. LTD.
Mayr-Melnhof Holz AG
- Deutsche Messe AG: Legal advice on the sale of a subsidiary (trade fair organiser).
- KYOCERA Document Solutions Inc.: Advice on the takeover of the ECM solution provider OPTIMAL SYSTEMS.
- ProServ - Medien Service Gesellschaft mbH / Münchener Zeitungs-Verlag GmbH & Co. KG: Advice on the sale of a 45% minority stake in Immowelt AG to Axel Springer.
The M&A practice at Dentons assists predominantly German medium-sized companies, DAX30 companies as well as international corporations with domestic and international transactions in the mid-cap segment. The team has a pronounced industry focus on the regulated industries, such as healthcare and energy. The practice, led by Christof Kautzsch, also frequently acts at the intersections with corporate, insolvency, restructuring and tax law. Most recently, the team welcomed new additions Frank Tepper-Sawicki from PwC Legal (PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal AG Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft) as well as Predrag Maksimovic from the IKB Deutsche Industriebank. In December 2020, energy specialist Michael Krömker joined the team from Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH, along with of counsel and China-expert Xi Xie.
‘You are always available at short notice and ensure smooth negotiations and the implementation of the transaction.‘
‘Dentons Munich has a high level of expertise in corporate law and M&A activities. On the one hand, this expertise is shaped by a strong economic competence that can be classified as entrepreneurial thinking and acting. On the other hand, risks are named and seen, but at the same time these risks are classified in a realistic context. This means that we as a company are also shown how these risks can be avoided. In my opinion, this is the greatest asset that Dentons adequately assesses the risks in comparison to competitors who primarily draw attention to risks but do not offer any solutions to overcome the risks, especially against the background of their own liability.‘
‘Strong interdisciplinary team, which is also extremely helpful for medium-sized deals. Absolute service culture with a pronounced interdisciplinary understanding.‘
CPPIB (Canada Pension Plan Investment Board)
KPS Capital Partners
Finanzgruppe Deutscher Sparkassen –und Giroverband
Quantum Capital Partners
- Bosch Security Systems GmbH: Advice on the takeover of GFR – Society for Control Technology and Energy Savings Ltd.
- WebPros: Advice on the entry of investor CVC Capital Partners.
- Mobisol: Advice on the takeover by the French energy supplier ENGIE.
Institutional investors as well as national and international companies mainly seek Greenberg Traurig Germany's transactional advice. The team frequently handles cross-border matters and co-operates closely with the firm's European and American colleagues. Clients also appreciate the cross-practice expertise in corporate law as well as private equity. Josef Hofschroer has extensive experience in the regulated industries as well as capital markets and corporate law, while practice head Peter Schorling often advises private equity funds; Nicolai Lagoni focuses on cross-border transactions in the pharmaceuticals, telecoms and technology sectors and the real estate industry.
‘Qualitatively better, pragmatic, modern, responsive, human.‘
‘Speed, commitment – Nicolai Lagoni.‘
‘Convince with absolute professional competence, commitment, always working on economic solutions in the interests of the customer, proactive approaches to complex issues, socially highly competent, cooperative – in every type of situation, looking ahead and overviews the situation. Price / performance ratio given completely. We have been advised by the best law firm for years.‘
‘Dr. Josef Hofschroer and his team do highly professional work. Passes on his expertise and market know-how to his colleagues and thus ensures the highest quality of advice.‘
‘Good communication between the partners during the negotiations The ability to consult experts on different topics in different countries, e.g. UK and Germany labor law, taxes, corporate structuring, debt.‘
‘Henrik Armah stands out in my book as a very calm, very knowledgeable, commercially smart lawyer.‘
‘Very commercial, sensible, resourceful.‘
‘Peter Schorling, Oliver Markmann always very responsive, very commercial and good leader in complex situations.‘
Taiyo Nippon Sanso Corporation
Rentokil Initial plc
Investorenkonsortium: SJL Partners LLC, KCC Corporation und Wonik QnC Corporation
The Carlyle Group L.P.
Element Solutions Inc.
ZTE Services Deutschland GmbH
- GEWOBAG Housing Corporation: Advising on the acquisition of nine subsidiaries with almost 6,000 apartments from the listed ADO Properties SA (ADO).
- Rentokil Initial Plc: Advice on the sale of its stake in CWS-Boco International to Haniel & Cie. GmbH.
- Dream Global Real Estate Investment Trust: Advising on its public takeover by the Blackstone Group.
The M&A practice at GÖRG Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB advises national and international companies, medium-sized companies as well as investors on national and international transactions, post-M&A disputes and distressed M&A. The team also frequently assists with corporate or tax-related matters. Industry expertise is evident in healthcare, energy, transport and media. Frank Evers in Hamburg heads the practice group, which recently welcomed new team member Christoph Niemeyer, formerly at Oppenhoff.
‘Outstanding M&A partner: Dr. Tobias Fenck (reliable, trustworthy, high level of commitment, strong negotiators, very experienced and extremely resilient in complex deal situations).‘
Alliance Automotive Group
BWF Unternehmensbeteiligungen International II GmbH & Co. KG
Deutsche AVIA Mineralöl-GmbH
FEHRMANN ALLOYS GmbH
Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung
Frankfurt Business Media GmbH
Jilin Jinhong Auto Parts Co. Ltd.
LB Businesspark GmbH
M.A.T. Malmedie Arbeitstechnik GmbH
MDT Technologies GmbH
Ningbo HuaXiang Electronic Co., Ltd.
PAX Global Technology Limited
SCPI Pierval Santé
Stiftung der Cellitinnen e.V.
- Datwyler Switzerland AG: Advice on the sale of the civil engineering business to management and the Hamburg-based investment company BPE.
- Vink Chemicals: Advising on the acquisition of all shares in ISP Biochema Schwaben GmbH from the Ashland Group and on the acquisition of the technical biocides and fuel, oil and gas divisions from Schülke & Mayr.
- Cohort plc: Advising on the acquisition of all shares in Wärtsilä ELAC Nautik GmbH from Wärtsilä Deutschland GmbH, a subsidiary of the Finnish Wärtsilä Group.
K&L Gates LLP advises upper medium-sized companies as well as international manufacturing and technology companies on domestic and cross-border transactions. The team regularly seeks advice from the firm's international network on cross-border issues and also offers transactional advice with regard to corporate and financial law as well as insolvency law in the course of distressed M&A scenarios. Thomas Lappe has strong expertise in carve-outs and heads the practice from the Berlin office.
‘Solution-oriented hands-on attitude, quick and appropriate advice in all areas.‘
‘Thomas Lappe, Wilhelm Hartung, Annette Mutschler-Siebert for everyone: many years of experience in legal matters and good knowledge of the relevant industry, optimal availability and the right team composition for the respective projects.‘
KKR / European Locomotive Leasing (ELL)
Koenig & Bauer AG
Minebea Mitsumi, Inc.
Robus Capital Management
- KKR / European Locomotive Leasing (ELL): Advice in connection with the sale of the European locomotive rental company European Locomotive Leasing (ELL) to a consortium of Axa Investment Managers and Crédit Agricole Assurance for a total purchase price of around €1bn
- Continental AG: Advising on the takeover of the Italian Merlett Group.
- Robus Capital Management: Advice on the acquisition of an 88% stake in Hallhuber GmbH.
In the mid-cap segment, Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP mainly assists listed companies in Germany as well as abroad. The team regularly works alongside the private equity and venture capital practices. In the course of cross-border transactions, the team co-operates closely with a global network, but also has its own China, India and Middle East desks. Sven Greulich frequently handles cross-border transactions with a technology focus and Thomas Schmid, who has profound expertise in life sciences, healthcare and technology, heads the team from the Munich office.
Other key lawyers:
ACG Pharma Technologies
Beijing Aeonmed Co. Ltd.
Crane Co. (Mandant seit über 5 Jahren)
Flexera Software (Mandant seit über 5 Jahren)
Nanjing Estun Automation
Neway Valve (Suzhou)
PHW Group (Mandant seit über 5 Jahren)
STEAG (Mandant seit über 5 Jahren)
- FLAG: Advice on the acquisition of the “GILDEMEISTER ENERGY SOLUTIONS” division belonging to DMG MORI.
- Nanjing Estun Automation (with CRCI): Advising on the acquisition of Carl Cloos Schweißtechnik GmbH for €200m.
- ACG Pharma Technologies Private Limited: Advising on the takeover of the German pharmaceutical process technology provider Xertecs.
The M&A practice at POELLATH assists national and international companies with company acquisitions and sales, especially with regard to public and non-public takeovers, while the latter often require cross-practice advice by the private equity team. The team also advises on matters pertaining to distressed M&A as well as pre- and post-M&A disputes. Eva Nase and Jens Hörmann jointly head the practice from the Munich office.
‘Experienced M&A lawyers who can map the entire value chain of a transaction (DD, participation documentation, tax structuring, financing documentation) and also have experts in-house for complementary topics (fund structuring, capital market law, real estate transfer tax, etc.).‘
‘Philipp von Braunschweig – technically flawless, commercially outstanding (lawyers often tend to subordinate the commercial goal to technical / legal perfection, you then have a nice contract but no deal, PvB, on the other hand, appears with an optimal sense of proportion in the negotiations).‘
BASS Gruppe (Gesellschafterin)
Contract Medical International (CMI)
Carl Zeiss AG
Bosch Packaging (Mgm).
- Shareholder of the Lekkerland Group: Advice on the sale of all shares to the REWE retail chain.
- Florian Swoboda: Advice on the sale of its shares in Cash Payment Solutions GmbH (CPS) to GLORY Ltd.
- P&I CEO: Advice on the sale by Permira to Hg Capital.
Paul Hastings LLP
The M&A team at Paul Hastings LLP comprehensively advises on national and international transactions and also has expertise in private equity-related matters. The practice group is under the leadership of Christopher Wolff.
Other key lawyers:
Watson Farley & Williams mainly assists with energy, infrastructure and real estate transactions, as well as maritime economy matters; the team also co-operates with the private equity practice. The client portfolio includes companies, investors and financial institutions, among others. Dirk Janssen has a focus on cross-border deals as well as leveraged buy-outs, and the 'very transaction-oriented and pragmatic' practice head Torsten Rosenboom has extensive expertise in joint ventures and internal restructurings, especially with regard to insolvency.
‘Flexible, service-oriented, cost-conscious.‘
‘Torsten Rosenboom: very transaction-oriented and pragmatic; very good economic knowledge; very solution-oriented; no-nonsense guy!‘
‘High availability, flexibility, internationality, high economic understanding, good networking with foreign partner law firms, competent team.‘
‘Dr. Torsten Rosenboom (partner) – simple and understandable language also in an international context, thereby gaining trust, excellent economic understanding, strong in negotiations.‘
Alpina Capital Partners LLP
European FinTyre Distribution
Storengy Deutschland GmbH
Tank & Rast-Gruppe
Jones Lang LaSalle
- Jones Lang LaSalle Group: Advising on the sale of the property management business in Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Spain, Portugal, Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Romania to MVGM International BV.
- Naxicap Partners: Advice on the takeover of the Teufel consumer audio brand from Hg.
- TUI Cruises: Advising on the takeover of Hapag-Lloyd Kreuzfahrten from TUI AG for €1.2bn, excluding net debt.
Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP advises comprehensively on private and public takeovers as well as matters pertaining to distressed M&A. The firm can utilise its global network expertise in cross-border transactions and also offers its clients transactional advice on private equity, tax and real estate matters. The team is led by Gerhard Schmidt in Frankfurt, who regularly advises on takeover bids and distressed M&A. At the end of 2020, Kamyar Abrar joined Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP.
Concardis Payment Group
Panasonic Avionics Corporation
Culligan International Company
SiriusXM Holdings Inc.
Olympic Entertainment Group
- Upfield Group: Advising on the acquisition of Arivia, a leading international manufacturer of vegan cheese.
- KKR / TTL Real Estate GmbH: Advising on the €225m sale of their respective stake in the GEG German Estate Group to DIC Asset AG.
- SiriusXM Holdings: Advice on their minority stake in the music streaming service SoundCloud.
ADVANT Beiten assists start-ups, family companies and listed corporations with mid-cap transactions and comes up with 'tailor-made and innovative solutions'. The team mainly focuses on the energy, telecoms and healthcare sectors, but also handles automotive and real estate matters. On cross-border transactions, the team regularly co-operates with offices in China, Russia and Belgium, and most recently advised on numerous inbound transactions, particularly from China. The group is jointly led by Maximilian Emanuel Elspas, Hans-Josef Vogel and Christian von Wistinghausen.
‘Strong Frankfurt M&A team. Traditionally strong law firm in advising medium-sized companies. Broad industry experience in medium-sized companies, partner-centered advice, tailor-made and innovative solutions in transactions, pragmatic approach.‘
‘At Beiten Burkhardt we feel that we are in the best of hands.‘
‘The collaboration with Dr. Detlef Koch and Dr. Mario Riechmann is characterized by trustworthy and personal advice, strong commitment and a special feeling for customer concerns. The advice is rounded off by technical excellence with an understanding of the client’s industry.‘
‘Contact for corporate law, M&A and real estate law from a single source. Short distances and very good communication.’
‘Dr. Koch: very high technical expertise, negotiating skills and a good team.‘
Amphenol Corporation, Wallingford, Conneticut (USA)
Audax Group (Boston, Massachusetts)
B. Braun Avitum AG
GUS Holding GmbH
Hotelplan Holding AG
Quadpack Industries SA
Stadtwerke Heidenheim Gruppe
Vital Materials Group
- Ferronordic AB: Advice on entering the German market through the acquisition of dealer locations for Volvo and Renault trucks.
- Innovative Chemical Products Group: Advising on the acquisition of the Hightech Coatings business from Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG as part of a share and asset deal.
- Quadpack Industries SA: Advising on the takeover of Louvrette GmbH, which specialises in the development and manufacture of packaging solutions for the cosmetics industry.
Flick Gocke Schaumburg
The team at Flick Gocke Schaumburg assists project developers, financial institutions as well as medium-sized and listed companies with mid-cap transactions and increasingly with distressed M&A. A particular industry focus is placed on energy, infrastructure and real estate and the practice also has expertise in private equity. Both in Bonn, Stephan Göckeler and Michael Erkens jointly head the practice, which in the summer of 2019 welcomed M&A lawyer Fred Wendt, formerly at Gleiss Lutz.
Other key lawyers:
- Deutsche Bahn AG: Advice on the sale of AMEROPA-Reisen GmbH as part of a bidding process.
- Lindsay Goldberg: Advice on the sale of VDM Metals Holding GmbH to Acerinox, SA.
- Berenberg Bank: Advising on the sale of the Asset Manager Office division to the Donner & Reuschel bank.
Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner
The M&A team at Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner advises medium-sized family companies, start-ups and listed companies on domestic and cross-border transactions, often alongside the firm's IP, competition, real estate, employment and insurance practices. On cross-border matters, the team advises with the help of foreign best friends law firms. The group is particularly well versed in the automotive and healthcare sectors. Gerhard Manz, Barbara Mayer and Arnt Göppert head the practice. Formerly at BRL BOEGE ROHDE LUEBBEHUESEN, Alexander Hartmann opened the firm's new Berlin office in the spring of 2020.
Other key lawyers:
‘The strengths are certainly the competence, professionalism and speed of reaction.‘
‘Gerhard Manz, Barbara Mayer and Morton Douglas are our contacts and we are 100% satisfied with their support.‘
‘Corporate law: attention to medium-sized companies, all legal areas covered for medium-sized companies, high quality in all legal areas, quick response times, easy accessibility for quick questions, long-term cooperation.‘
‘Dr. Barbara Mayer (corporate law, general legal questions): reliable, competent, easy to reach, good advisor for all legal questions, lots of practical help. Dr. Sven Ufe Tjarks (purchase agreements with large companies, contracts with customers): reliable, competent, easy to reach.‘
‘High level of technical and professional competence in corporate law (relevant to us) and insolvency law (unfortunately also “sometimes” relevant). You can listen and offer tailor-made solutions to us and our target companies. We are now working together for the 20th year. Not lifted at all! Also top in human terms.‘
‘Mr. Gerhard Manz = outstanding personality. We can call and reach him almost at any time of the day or night. “Vital” in our industry. Miss Dr. Mayer (corporate law) and Dr. Stefan Lammel (insolvency law) = this is how we imagine targeted legal advice. Not only are alternatives shown, but we are also actively helped with implementation.‘
Abas Software AG, Karlsruhe
Blazejewski MEDI-TECH GmbH
Fifty2 Technology GmbH
Fischer Küchenatelier Gruppe
Oxygen Technologies GmbH
PME fluidtec GmbH
Schölly fiberoptic GmbH
Swiss Automotive Group AG (SAG)
Thalia GmbH und Gesellschafter der Thalia-Gruppe
- Thalia Group: Advice on the merger with Mayersche Buchhandlung.
- Conductix-Wampfler Group; The company employs around 1,000 people and recently generated total sales of over 250 million euros. The company was founded in 1959 by Manfred Wampfler in Lörrach. In 2007 the Delachaux Group acquired all of the shares in what was then Wampfler AG.: Advice on the takeover of LJU Automatisierungstechnik GmbH from Grenzebach Maschinenbau GmbH; the transaction also included the acquisition of the LJU businesses in the United States, China and Brazil.
- Swiss Automotive Group AG (SAG): Europe-wide spare parts dealer for cars and commercial vehicles, sales 900 million Swiss francs, 3,200 employees at over 180 locations, based in Cham, Switzerland: Advising on the acquisition of a majority stake in the German online car dealer Auto-teile-Pöllath Handels GmbH (ATP).
Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
Due to its strong connections with the firm's global network, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP has profound expertise in cross-border transactions. The team is also active in domestic matters for its client base, consisting of medium-sized German companies, listed companies and international corporations. The group also frequently acts at the intersection with private equity and financing law. Lutz Englisch and Ferdinand Fromholzer are the key figures.
‘The M&A team is characterized by a special insight and understanding of economic and entrepreneurial relationships.‘
‘Dr. Lutz Englisch: Due to his many years of experience with highly complex M&A transactions in the industrial sector, he is certainly one of the most prominent M&A lawyers in this field in D.‘
‘Strong partners with a lot of expertise and commitment in the Munich office; good international network of offices.‘
‘Lutz English: extremely committed and competent; goes every extra mile to make difficult deals possible.‘
Robert Bosch GmbH
- Heska Corporation: Advice on the acquisition of scil animal care GmbH.
Greenfort advises German companies, medium-sized companies and financial investors on transactions in the mid-cap department on both the buyer as well as the seller side, and is particularly active in the infrastructure, energy and media sectors. Andreas von Oppen, Ahn-Duc Cordalis, who was promoted to equity partner at the beginning of 2020, Gunther Weiss and Carsten Angersbach jointly head the group.
‘Targeted and fast.‘
‘Andreas von Oppen: excellent legal know-how, very good economic understanding and extremely quick comprehension.‘
‘Well positioned, very practical, efficient, strong in implementation, good, compact solutions, no empty phrase.‘
‘Andreas von Oppen: Experienced, a lot of business sense and intuition, good negotiator, social skills AND legal skills.‘
Warner Chilcott / Allergan
Blue World Group
Schaap Martens Group
Koch Group USA
LGI Logistics Group International
MIND CTI, Israel, börsennotiert (NASDAQ)
Planet Partners / Planet Home Group
Styria Media Group
- Bertelsmann / arvato: Advising on the sale of a majority stake in the Arvato Financial Solutions Risk Management Division to a subsidiary of Experian Plc.
- Koch Group USA: Advice on the acquisition of Julius Montz GmbH from the Pfaudler Group (portfolio company of Deutsche Beteiligungs AG).
- Warner Chilcott / Allergan: Advising on the partial sale of the assets, the partial restructuring (and partial liquidation) of Warner Chilcott and the subsequent merger with Allergan.
Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek's M&A team, which is 'very talented and pleasant to work with', mainly advises family businesses and German medium-sized companies on national and cross-border transactions in the mid-cap segment and also has expertise in tax and capital markets law. Additionally, the team has comprehensive experience in transactions regarding the energy sector. Thorsten Kuthe in Cologne and Boris Dürr in Munich jointly head the practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very practical. Solutions tailored to our society and the environment.‘
‘Stuttgart: Dr. Rainer Herschlein, Charlotte Schmitt, Benedikt Raisch: The team reacts quickly, always provides competent answers / assessments within a short reaction time, leads the deals in the right direction and shows commitment at all times.‘
‘The team is very talented and pleasant to work with. They have in-depth knowledge, are fast, reliable and deliver high quality work.’
‘What distinguishes them is the involvement of the partners.‘
‘Excellent team – efficient and pragmatic with a high quality of work at the same time.‘
‘All team members did very well under the supervision of Helge-Torsten Wöhlert.‘
‘The law firm is very solution-oriented and entrepreneurial. They know the problems and what to focus on. At the same time, the collaboration between the teams seems to work seamlessly, so that the necessary skills are available promptly at all times.‘
‘Helge Wöhlert: very committed, articulate, dynamic. Mathias Schröder: very experienced, never loses track of things.’
‘The team is very impressive. Highly qualified lawyers in many offices. Very good knowledge of the German and French markets.‘
‘Helge-Torsten Wöhlert and Stefan Degen are excellent. You work perfectly in three languages (German, English and French) and know the French market very well.‘
‘Stephen Degen and Helge-Torsten Wöhlert are very good professionals. They are fully committed to the goals of their clients with high legal skills. Both have in-depth legal knowledge of German and French law.‘
‘High level of legal knowledge, strong transactions.‘
‘Dr. Dorothee Prosteter, partner, enthusiasm, strong and mediative appearance, internationality.‘
‘Rainer Herschlein: have worked with him several times; great economic understanding and incredible pragmatism. Great negotiator. Captures the connections quickly. A pleasure to work with him on a personal level too. Martin Imhof: also with him multiple collaborations; great transaction attorney / corporate lawyer. Helge-Thorsten Wöhlert: uncomplicated cooperation.‘
Kirkland & Ellis International LLP comprehensively advises on mid-sized transactions in Germany and abroad. The team mainly assists financial advisors and investors; it also works alongside the private equity, antitrust, finance and tax law teams. Ben Leyendecker, Volkmar Bruckner, Jörg Kirchner and Attila Oldag are the key contacts.
PwC Legal (PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal AG Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft)
PwC Legal (PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal AG Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft) assists medium-sized companies, DAX30 companies as well as international businesses with mid-cap transactions and the team also advises on private equity deals. Lars Benger joined the team from Hogan Lovells International LLP at the end of 2019; at the same time, former co-head of the corporate and M&A practice Robert Manger left and joined EY Law. Also, Angelika Bartholomäi left the group to start at Rittershaus. Steffen Schniepp in Stuttgart took over the leadership of the national corporate and M&A practice, as well as being global head for M&A.
Other key lawyers:
‘Good industry knowledge. Great commitment and enthusiasm.‘
‘Very high responsiveness. Broad team. Alternative fee arrangements. Flexible.‘
Hornetsecurity GmbH, HTGF und Verdane (als Bestandinvestoren)
Volume Graphics GmbH
Elanco Animal Health, Inc.
MEC Holding GmbH
- Partners knee: Comprehensive legal advice on the (indirect) sale of shares in Cherry Holding GmbH to Argand Partners.
- Volume Graphics GmbH: Comprehensive legal advice on the sale of all company shares to Hexagon Metrology Services GmbH.
- Bayer Aktiengesellschaft: Advising on the carve-out of the Animal Health division to Elanco in 120 countries.
Shearman & Sterling LLP advises its client portfolio, consisting of private equity investors, banks and companies, on mid-cap deals. The team regularly co-operates with the firm's international network, particularly with regard to North America. Alfred Kossmann frequently assists with private equity-related matters and Thomas König in Frankfurt has extensive experience in public takeovers as well as deals in the chemistry, automotive, mechanical engineering and finance sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘The elements that set the S&S team apart the most were their very strong expertise and technical knowledge and extensive experience in M&A transactions, their achievements, their dedication and their positive and proactive approach to the team.‘
‘We worked the most with Alfred Kossmann, Aliresa Fatemi and Anders Kraft. All three people have distinguished themselves through their very strong expertise and technical knowledge and their extensive experience in M&A transactions, their achievements, commitment and positive and proactive approach.‘
American Axle & Manufacturing
Friedhelm Loh Group
International Chemical Investors
The Dow Chemical Company
- American Axle & Manufacturing: Advising on the acquisition of the German division of the insolvent MITEC Automotive AG.
- Telus International: Advising on the acquisition of Competence Call Center GmbH from the private equity house Ardian and the management.
Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP's M&A team has a strong focus on advising financial investors and private equity companies on transactions in Germany and abroad. In Frankfurt, Georg Linde heads the group with a specialisation in IT, telecoms and energy. Markus Lauer joined the team from Herbert Smith Freehills LLP at the end of 2019.
3i Group plc
CVC Capital Partners
DexKo Global Inc.
GoldenTree Asset Management
In Mind Cloud Global GmbH
Maxburg Beteiligungen III GmbH & Co. KG
Palamon Capital Partners
tbg Technologie-Beteiligungs-Gesellschaft mbH
The Ambassador Theatre Group
The Sterling Group
Unternehmensgruppe Theo Müller
Yazaki Europe Ltd.
- HBC: Advice in connection with the sale of its shares in the European retail and real estate joint ventures formed between HBC and SIGNA to the respective joint venture partners.
- BBS Automation: Advising on the acquisition of the Chinese ReaLead and Italian Team Srl.
- Grillo-Werke AG: Advice on the sale of intellectual property and know-how relating to the production of methanesulfonic acid to an international chemical company.