M&A: mid-sized deals (sub-€500m) in Germany
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
The M&A practice at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer advises across various sectors also in the mid-cap segment, while instructions particularly often stem from the energy, transport and consumer goods industries as well as the financial sector. Due to the international integration of the German practice within its globally acting firm, the group is especially well equipped for cross-border transactions. The broad coverage of cross-practice matters is also part of the group's expertise spectrum: the team cooperates with antitrust and employment lawyers and also advises on capital markets law across its departments. Barbara Keil is the key contact for cross-border transactions and joint ventures.
Other key lawyers:
Christoph Seibt; Rick van Aerssen; Barbara Keil
In the mid-cap area Hengeler Mueller often acts in international transactions and demonstrates deep industry expertise particularly in the health, automotive and media sectors as well as in the real estate and financial industries. The group also frequently receives instructions for private equity-related matters. Martin Tasma recently made partner and Andreas Hoger routinely assists with venture capital-related issues. Hans-Jörg Ziegenhain is especially sought-after by listed companies and PE investors and Maximilian Schiessl is the key contact for public takeovers and international company acquisitions.
Vodafone Group PLC
Erwin Hymer Group SE
Magna International, Inc.
Generali Deutschland AG
Cerberus Capital Management,L.P.
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners (CIP)
KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts& Co. Ltd.)
Broadview Holding B.V.
- Advice to the GfK SE on the sale of four global business areas of the custom research-business to Ipsos SA.
- Support to Broadview Holding B.V. on the voluntary public takeover bid to the shareholders of Westag & Getalit AG.
- Advice to Genpact Limited on the acquisition of Barkawi Management Consultants GmbH & Co. KG.
Linklaters‘ M&A practice is active in numerous sectors, while the team boasts particular industry expertise in the energy, automotive and financial sectors. The client roster includes listed companies, national and international corporations as well as financial investors. The international network allows for comprehensive advice especially on cross-border deals. Staffan Illert has additional experience in restructuring issues and counsel Christoph van Lier advises on public takeovers and joint ventures. The practice is led by Tim Johannsen-Roth.
Other key lawyers:
Staffan Illert; Christoph van Lier
LG Electronics Inc. (LG)
Fresenius SE & Co. KGaA / Fresenius Medical Care AG & Co. KGaA
Thyssen’sche Handelsgesellschaft mbH
HSH Finanzfonds und damit mittelbar die Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg sowie das Land Schleswig-Holstein
Cross-border transactions account for a large part of Baker McKenzie's M&A practice, which offers comprehensive assistance due to its good international network and wide-ranging practice scope. Per its China desk, the group frequently receives instructions from Chinese companies and also assists listed corporations with predominantly international transactions in numerous sectors such as the energy, health and financial sectors as well as the real estate and TMT industries. Heiko Gotsche advises international and family-led companies. Christian Atzler and Ingo Strauss jointly head the practice.
Christian Atzler; Ingo Strauss
Other key lawyers:
Strategic transactions are a focus of Gleiss Lutz' M&A practice, which supports listed and family-led companies from the US, Asia and Europe across various sectors in transactions in the German market. Particularly notable is the firm's Asia practice, where Michael Burian comes especially recommended. In addition, the group also handles distressed M&A issues and private equity-related matters. Martin Viciano Gofferje has notable expertise in the health sector and also assists with venture capital matters. Christian Cascante and Ralf Morshäuser head the practice.
Christian Cascante; Ralf Morshäuser
In the M&A arena, Latham & Watkins LLP frequently advises corporations and financial investors on cross-border transactions in the digitalisation, health, energy, automotive and media sectors. The managing partner of the German offices Harald Selzner and Rainer Traugott are the team's key figures, while Natalie Daghles is a renowned contact for cross-border deals. Burc Hesse in Munich heads the group.
Charité and Stiftung Deutsches Herzzentrum
Callaway Golf Company
DuMont Business Information GmbH
GHX Europe GmbH
Hellman & Friedman
Omnicom Group Inc
- Advice to the US-American Callaway Golf Company (NYE:ELY) on the €418 million purchase of the German outdoor supplier Jack Wolfskin.
- Advised congatec AG on the takeover of the Real-Time Systems GmbH (RTS).
- Advised DuMont on the takeover of the Deutscher Auftragsdienst AG (DTAD).
Allen & Overy LLP
In the mid-cap area, Allen & Overy LLP's M&A practice assists corporations and financial institutions with public takeovers as well as company and share acquisitions and sales, whereby the group's cross-practice and sector specific expertise particularly comes into effect in instructions from the energy, infrastructure, finance, TMT, real estate and health industries. Nils Koffka advises with a focus on private equity-related matters. Hans Schoneweg heads the practice. Murad Daghles joined White & Case LLP.
Other key lawyers:
Clifford Chance assists medium-sized and large companies in the automotive, energy, health, technology and consumer goods industries as well as financial institutions with domestic and cross-border mid-cap transactions, where it demonstrates both regulatory expertise as well as industry knowledge. New arrival Thomas Voland from Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer has strengthened the group's public law capabilities and combines this with wide-ranging knowledge of the energy sector. Thomas Krecek and Anselm Raddatz jointly head the practice.
Thomas Krecek; Anselm Raddatz
Other key lawyers:
CMS' M&A practice focuses on international investments as well as cross-border deals and has particular expertise in the automotive, energy, finance and infrastructure industries. Maximilian Grub in Stuttgart, Hilke Herchen in Hamburg and Ernst-Markus Schuberth in Düsseldorf jointly head the practice. Thomas Meyding in Stuttgart has longstanding experience in the automotive, finance and media sectors.
Maximilian Grub; Hilke Herchen; Ernst-Markus Schuberth
Other key lawyers:
- Advice to TATA Steel on the sale of the internationally positioned Kalzip Gruppe to Donges SteelTec.
- Support to Bechtle on the acquisition of the French IT provider Inmac Wstore S.A.S from the US-American Systemax.
- Advice to Neel Metal on the purchase of the medium-sized automotive supplier Linde+ Wiemann.
The good global integration of DLA Piper's German M&A practice allows for consistent comprehensive advice to national and international corporations in cross-border matters, which is complemented by wide-ranging sector expertise in various industries including manufacturing, technology, automotive, insurances, real estate and media. New arrivals Simon Vogel, previously at Dentons, and Gerald Schumann, who joined from Baker McKenzie, are expanding the group's private equity and venture capital capabilities. Practice co-heads Nils Krause and Benjamin Parameswaran are particularly recommended for complex cross-border deals.
Nils Krause; Benjamin Parameswaran
‘Very good lawyers, great blend of experience and social skills.‘
‘Highly qualified advisors.‘
Abry Partners LLC
DAZAN Zhone Solutions
ERG S.p. A.
H.I. G. Europe Capital Partners
JDA Software, Inc.
Luye Pharma AG
Ping An Global Voyager Fund
Rolls-Royce Power Systems AG
Stillfront Group AB
The China Navigation Company/ Swire Group
- Advice to Samsung Electronics on its investment in the Verimi GmbH.
- Advice to Rolls-Royce Power Systems AG on the sale of L’Orange GmbH to Woodward Inc..
- Support to the Basler Versicherungen on the sale of its company shares in the Deutscher Ring Bausparkasse AG to the BAWAG Group.
In international transactions, Eversheds Sutherland's German M&A practice benefits from its global integration, the dual-qualification of several lawyers as well as the cooperation across its practices and offices. The practice's internationality is further emphasized by ongoing client relationships with US companies. Maximilian Findeisen, who joined from Mütze Korsch Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH, and Werner Brickwedde, previously at Clifford Chance, have strengthened the Düsseldorf office. Christof Lamberts heads the practice.
‘Very pragmatic, solution-oriented and efficient.‘
Archer Daniels Midland
AR Packaging (SE)
Cyrus One (US)
Horizon Global (US)
Johnson Controls (IL)
- Advice to Ricoh on the takeover of Docuware.
- Advised Archer Daniels Midland on the takeover of the Ziegler Gruppe.
- Advised the Dennemeyer Group on the acquisition of Octimine Technologies.
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH's M&A practice frequently assists clients from the energy, health, transport and telecoms industries, but also advises on transactions in the automotive and infrastructure sectors. The group has particular expertise in Asia-related transactions and cooperates closely with the firm's Asia offices. With Michael Bormann, previously practice head of Simmons & Simmons' corporate team, the group welcomed an energy sector expert. Practice head Thomas Kuhnle achieves 'practical and economic solutions'.
Other key lawyers:
‘Qualitatively strong team in Europe, high efficiency, very good availability.‘
‘The team is able to develop compelling solutions.‘
MANN + HUMMEL GmbH & Co. KG
IDT Biologika GmbH
TrailStone GmbH / TrailStone UK Ltd.
Haus Cramer Management GmbH
Parfümerie Douglas GmbH
- Advice to the Commerz Real AG on the purchase of the UNITANK-Gruppe.
- Advice to the Eneco B.V. on the acquisition of the remaining 50% of the LichtBlick Gruppe.
- Support to IRI Investments B.V. on the purchase of a share in the offshore windfarm Veja Mate.
Noerr's M&A practice has continued to expand its sector-focused advice and demonstrates expertise in the automotive, health and media industries among other sectors. The team advises on company and share acquisitions, both on buyer and seller side, as well as on joint ventures and takeovers. Additionally, the China desk assists Chinese investors with transactions in the European market, while also advising German and European corporations on their market entry in China. Florian Becker and Alexander Hirsch jointly head the practice.
Florian Becker; Alexander Hirsch
‘In addition to the always trustworthy communication and consistently transparent client handling, we also appreciate that the partners are always available.‘
‘The advice is good and on point.‘
With cross-practice expertise, Taylor Wessing advises on cross-border private equity and real estate transactions as well as on joint ventures in various industries including the energy, automotive, health, manufacturing as well as media and technology sectors. The group is also instructed with distressed M&A matters and works closely with its restructuring practice. Klaus Grossmann in Düsseldorf leads the 36-partner practice.
COMLINE Computer + Softwarelösungen AG
Leyard Inc. Und Planar Corp.
Mitel Networks Corporation
Compagnie de Saint-Gobain
Advance Publications Inc.
Eckert & Ziegler Strahlentechnik AG
Family owning DKV Mobility Services Group
- Advice to COMLINE Computer + Softwarelösungen AG on the acquisition of shares in the Nuremberg technology company conplement AG.
- Advised the Mitel Group on the sale of its German direct systems integrator DeTeWe Communications GmbH to Ostertag.
- Advised Saint-Gobain on the acquisition of the Kaimann GmbH.
Cross-border transactions are one of the central pillars of White & Case LLP's M&A practice. The group has a strong international focus which was further intensified by new practice head Darragh Byrne's relocation from the firm's Stockholm to the Frankfurt office in 2018. The team is particularly active in the chemicals and automotive-tech areas. In addition, the firm's insolvency administrators and M&A experts are cooperating closely which makes the group particularly well equipped for distressed M&A and restructuring-related matters. Real estate issues are also part of the advice spectrum. Murhad Daghles, who has expertise in Arabian region-related matters, recently joined from Allen & Overy LLP.
Other key lawyers:
Asklepios Kliniken GmbH & Co. KGaA
Qatar Investment Authority
- Advice to a consortium of bidders in the course of the planned purchase of the Dexia Kommunalbank GmbH.
- Advised the Wilma Europe Holding BV on the sale of the majority stake in the Wilma Immobilien GmbH.
- Advice to the First Data Corp as bidder in the course of the bidding process for purchasing the BS PAYONE GmbH.
Ashurst LLP's M&A practice is deeply embedded in the firm's global network and advises on national as well as international joint ventures and acquisitions on both buyer and seller side. The team has wide-ranging sector expertise in the automotive, infrastructure, energy, health, consumer goods and new technologies industries. Thomas Sacher heads the practice.
Dechert LLP's M&A advice spectrum includes sector specific expertise in various areas, particularly with regards to digital media, internet, e-commerce, financial services and investment management as well as automotive. Cross-border deals are a strong focus of the practice, which is instructed by national and international corporations as well as financial investors. Assistance with distressed M&A matters and cross-practice restructuring advice complement the service offering. Frederico Pappalardo heads the German team.
Frederico G. Pappalardo
‘International structure and greatest expertise in all offered practice areas (experience with M&A, IPO and IP).’
‘Consistently high level of advice from all offices; very well coordinated among all locations, extensive range of experience.’
‘Federico Pappalardo displays exceptional specialist knowledge and leads the consultation process in a confident and goal-oriented manner; broad experience; great availability; very pleasant in personal interaction.’
American Express Global Business Travel (GBT)
Laboratoire HRA Pharma/ Astorg und Goldman Sachs
Mid Europa Partners
One Equity Partners
Sun Capital / Coveris Holdings
- Advice to the Berwind Gruppe on the takeover of the industrial company WH Acquisitions, Inc..
Hogan Lovells International LLP advises with a focus on regulated industries, insurances, the health sector, telecoms and automotive matters. The sector expertise as well as the group's close cooperation with its international offices allows for seamless assistance with cross-border real estate transactions, acquisitions as well as joint ventures, on both buyer and seller side. The continental European practice is led by Volker Geyrhalter while Lutz Angerer heads the German team. Urszula Nartowska joined from Gleiss Lutz.
Deutscher Sparkassen Verlag GmbH (DSV)
Generali Deutschland AG
T-Systems International GmbH
- Advice to Shop Apotheke on the acquisition of the nu3 GmbH.
- Advice to the BAWAG Group on the acquisition of the Health AG as well as the Schweizer Zahnärztekasse AG.
- Advice to the All4labels Group GmbH on the purchase of the Baumgarten Gruppe and the Nuceria Gruppe.
Mayer Brown LLP
National and international corporations, private equity fonds and financial investors are part of the client base of Mayer Brown LLP's M&A practice. The group is predominantly active in the automotive, chemicals, energy, food, IT, telecoms, construction and financial industries and also advises on distressed M&A matters in cooperation with the firm's restructuring practice. The team frequently assists with cross-border transactions. Practice head Julian Lemor also advises private equity investors. Robert John joined from Clifford Chance.
Other key lawyers:
Klaus Riehmer; Robert John
‘Very efficient and structured.‘
‘They think commercially.‘
KKR (Webhelp Groupe)
Medium-sized company from the dental medicine sector
Dipl.-Ing. Joachim Schuster
Shareholders of the VESCON Group
LG Display Co. Ltd.
- Advice to the DBAG on the majority acquisition of Catalysts GmbH, Austria, as well as the Crisp Research AG, Germany.
- Advice to Webhelp SAS on the purchase of all shares in the Sellbytel Group.
- Representation of a medium-sized Group from the area of dental medicine during the selling to a Family Office.
The M&A practice at Milbank focuses strongly on the interface between M&A and private equity and additionally offers comprehensive transactional advice on tax optimisation and the creation of efficient corporate structures. Based on specific sector expertise in the infrastructure, health, biotechnology, technology and telecommunication industries, the group advises international corporations and financial investors. Michael Bernhardt acts with 'a clear business focus' in private equity transactions.
Other key lawyers:
Michael Bernhardt; Martin Erhardt; Ulrike Friese-Dormann; Sebastian Heim; Peter Nussbaum; Steffen Oppenländer; Norbert RiegerChristoph Rothenfußer; Arndt Stengel
‘Very pragmatic and goal-oriented.‘
‘High legal quality of the work.‘
H. C. Starck Group
NuCom Group SE
Philipp Lahm Holding GmbH
ProSiebenSat. 1 Media SE
PTV Planung Transport Verkehr AG
Smith & Nephew plc
- Advice to the Otto Group on the investment of Heartland A/S in ABOUT YOU.
- Advice to Sixt SE on the sale of its share in the carsharing joint venture DriveNow to the BMW AG.
- Advice to EQT VII portfolio company Apleona in the course of the sale of its shares in the real estate advisor GVA to Avision Young (Canada) Inc..
Headed by Stefan Feuerriegel and Frank Peter Regelin, Norton Rose Fulbright's M&A practice assists large and medium-sized corporations with joint ventures as well as company sales and acquisitions and is particularly active in the health and banking sectors as well as in technology-oriented industries. Marco Niehaus made partner and Hendrick Theismann joined from Ashurst LLP; he is particularly active in real estate-related matters.
Stefan Feuerriegel; Frank Peter Regelin
Ambridge Europe Limited
Auditing Association of German Banks
AnaCap Financial Partners
Bayerische Motoren Werke (BMW) Aktiengesellschaft
Cadila Healthcare Limited (India)
LF Real Estate
International Finance Corporation
International Card Services
Lei Shing Hong
Wüstenrot Bausparkasse AG
Wüstenrot & Württembergische AG
- Advice to the e-mobility pioneer Voltabox AG on the planned takeover of Navitas Systems.
- Advice to the Hamburger Beteiligungsgesellschaft CEE on the sale of its solar farms.
- Advice to the Wüstenrot Bausparkasse AG on the acquisition of the Aachener Bausparkasse AG.
Oppenhoff & Partner
Oppenhoff & Partner's M&A practice predominantly advises foreign investors on transactions in Germany, where it demonstrates particular sector expertise in the technology, chemicals, logistics, trade and manufacturing industries. Stephan König, who also assists with post-M&A disputes, heads the practice. New arrival Gabriele Fontane, who joined from Otto Mittag Fontane, is particularly active in private equity-related matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘A very focused and highly reactive team.‘
‘The combinational of lengthy experienced as well as young team members is particularly helpful for complex issues and leads to creative solutions.‘
Zürich Beteiligungs-Aktiengesellschaft (Deutschland)
Naga Brands HK Limited
Deutsche Post DHL Group
Eigentümerfamilie der aktivoptik-Gruppe
SnowWorld Leisure N.V.
Nederman Holding AB
Manuka Health Ltd.
- Advice to Naga Brands HK on the purchase of a majority stake in the Tamara Comolli Fine Jewelery GmbH.
- Advice to the Deutsche Post on the sale of Allyouneed Fresh to the Delticom AG.
- Advice to SnowWorld on the acquisition of 25% of shares in the Alpenpark Neuss.
Paul Hastings LLP
The Frankfurt-based M&A practice at Paul Hastings LLP frequently cooperates with the firm's offices across Europe, Asia and the US. The team is well equipped to assist with cross-border deals and advises German investors on domestic and foreign transactions as well as clients from Asia and the US. The group is also active in private equity related matters. Christopher Wolff, who additionally advises on distressed M&A issues, heads the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Regina Engelstädter; Christian Mock
PVG Group GmbH & Co. KG
CDH Genetech Limited
Hansol Paper Co., Limited
MMS Germany Holdings GmbH/Publicis Groupe
Xerium Technologies Inc. (now ANDRITZ Fabrics and Rolls)
Saba Software, Inc.
Francisco Partners, LLC.
Astorg Asset Management Sàrl
Merck & Co., Inc.
SMA Solar Technology AG
- Advice to the PVG Presse-Vetriebs-Gesellschaft mbH & Co. KG on its merger with the Pressevertrieb Saar and Presse-Grosso Bonn-Rhein-Sieg.
- Advice to the MMS Germany Holdings GmbH in the course of the purchase of a 20% minority stake in Digitas, an IT company.
- Advice to Saba Software, Inc. in the course of the takeover of Lumesse.
SZA Schilling, Zutt & Anschütz Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
Jochem Reichert heads the M&A practice at SZA Schilling, Zutt & Anschütz Rechtsanwalte AG, which advises comprehensively on public takeovers as well as cross-border deals. Along the preparation and implementation of mid-cap transactions, post-M&A issues and M&A-related disputes are also part of the group's advice portfolio. In addition, Marc Löbbe has expertise in compliance matters. Oliver Schröder joined from Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton in January 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Fraport AG Frankfurt Airport Services
Dion Global Solutions GmbH
Groupe La Française
Innogy SE (Aufsichtsrat)
Triplan / TTP AG
Gesellschafter der Medi-Markt Gruppe
- Advice to the French asset manager Groupe La Française (a subsidiary company of the Crédit Mutuel Gruppe) on the acquisition of the German Veritas Gruppe.
- Advice to the operator of the Frankfurt airport, Fraport AG Frankfurt Airport Services Worldwide, on the sale of its share in the Flughafengesellschaft Hannover-Langenhagen to iCON Flughafen GmbH.
- Advice to mechanical engineering company Webac on selling to the US company Simpson Technologies.
Bird & Bird advises with sector-specific expertise on transactions in Germany and abroad. The group is globally well connected and equipped for cross-border transactions, while also offering wide-ranging industry expertise in the automotive, consumer goods, energy, financial and health sectors as well as in the aerospace, media, security and technology industries. Peter Veranneman, who is also adept in compliance matters, heads the practice.
‘The team is well balanced.‘
‘The assistance with transactions is very efficient.‘
Deutsche Alternative Asset Management
Deutsche Beteiligungs AG (DBAG)
Fuyao Glass Group
John Deere GmbH & Co. KG
Luxoft Holding, Inc.
Serum Institute of India Pvt. Ltd.
Shenzhen Inovance Technology
- Advice to the Deutsche Alternative Asset Management on the takeover of distribution networks of the public utilities Düsseldorf.
- Advice to Elgato on the sale of the Gaming business area to the US company Corsair.
- Advice to Infront ASA on the acquisition of the German vwd-Gruppe.
The client base of Dentons‘ M&A practice is comprised of medium-sized companies as well as international corporations and financial investors, while the team has especially deep knowledge of the regulated industries. The global network of the team allows for comprehensive advice on cross-border transactions. Berlin-based practice head Christof Kautzsch particularly often assists with matters in the health sector. At the recently opened Düsseldorf office, Predrag Maksimovic, previously at IKB Deutsche Industriebank, as well as Frank Tepper-Sawacki, previously at PwC Legal (PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal AG Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft), advise on transactional matters.
‘Good industry and client knowledge.’
- Advice to the GfK in the course of the sale of four business units to IPSOS at a value of € 105 million.
- Advice to Canopy Growth on the acquisition of the vaporiser manufacturer Storz & Bickel with a value of € 135 million.
- Support to the Intermedia on the purchase of the Potsdam air rights portal Flightright.
The M&A practice at Greenberg Traurig Germany is instructed by national and international companies seeking advice on transactional matters and additionally assists with public law and private equity-related issues. Peter Schorling, who is particularly active in the real estate sector, heads the team.
‘Broad and quickly accessible technical and industry knowledge.‘
‘Considerable practical experience.‘
Bundesministerium für Verkehr und Digitale Infrastruktur
Taiyo Nippon Sanso Corporation
Universal Pictures International
The Carlyle Group
Tristan Capital Partners
- Advice to CCC S.A. on the completion of a complex, cross-border transaction.
- Advice to the Stone Brewing GmbH on the sale of a craft beer brewery to the European competitor Brew Dogg in the course of an asset deal.
- Advised Best Western International on the acquisition of WorldHotels.
K&L Gates LLP
In the M&A sphere, K&L Gates LLP frequently advises international industrial corporations, but also assists medium-sized companies and financial investors with cross-border matters as well as with private equity-related issues. Thomas Lappe, who is also considered a good key contact for joint ventures, heads the practice. Susanna Fuchsbrunner joined from Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH and has an additional focus on reorganisations and restructuring.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very efficient, pragmatic team.‘
‘Good understanding of business requirements.‘
Electricité de France SA
Immobilien Scout GmbH
Mölnlycke Health Care AB
Deutsche Wohnen AG
ZEAL Network SE
- Advice to the Ipsos SA in the course of the acquisition of parts of business areas of the custom research-business of the GfK, which consist of customer experience, experience innovation, health and public affairs.
- Support to the ZEAL Network SE (ZEAL) on the voluntary public takeover bid of ZEAL for the Lotto24 AG.
Kirkland & Ellis International LLP
Kirkland & Ellis International LLP focuses its M&A advice on private equity matters, while the team has particular expertise in P2P assistance and takeovers. The group is predominantly instructed by international financial investors seeking advice on cross-border transactions. 'Top lawyer' Benjamin Leyendecker is a reliable contact for public takeovers.
Other key lawyers:
Ben Leyendecker; Volkmar Bruckner; Jörg Kirchner; Attila Oldag
EP Global Commerce GmbH
Toys ‘R’ Us
Aktionäre von Jack Wolfskin
- Advice to Toys’R’Us on the sale of its branches in the DACH-region to the Irish-British toy retailer Smyths.
- Advised the shareholders of Jack Wolfskin in the course of the agreement of sale of the outdoor brand to the Callaway Golf Company.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP's M&A practice is predominantly active in the private equity sphere, where instructions primarily stem from large national and international corporations seeking advice on cross-border transactions. A particular focus is Chinese business, for which the practice has a specific China Desk. Thomas Schmid heads the practice and Sven Greulich is considered a 'strong negotiator'. With the arrival of Abhijit Narayan from Hengeler Mueller, the group has strengthened its India Desk, which he now leads.
‘Very focused on the essential issues in a negotiation.’
‘Extremely cooperative and solution-oriented.‘
Aaron Hotels & Hostels
AT&M Advanced Technology & Materials
UDG United Digital Group
Westag & Getalit
- Advice to the UDG United Digital Group on the sale of the performance part of the agency to the Omnicom Media Group Germany.
- Advice to the Westag & Getalit AG on the public takeover by Broadview Industries AG.
- Advised Flexera Software on the takeover of Brainwaregroup.
P+P Pöllath + Partners
The focus of P+P Pöllath + Partners' M&A practice is on public takeovers, while the team is also adept in assisting with tax aspects of transactions and private equity matters. The assistance with distressed M&A matters and post-M&A disputes is also part of the advice offering. Eva Nase and Jens Hörmann in Munich jointly head the practice.
Eva Nase; Jens Hörmann
‘Very reliable and skilled, high quality throughout.‘
‘Constant availability, also at weekends.‘
‘Good networking with other firms domestically and abroad.‘
Aroundhome (vorher Käuferportal)
German Personnel e-search
- Advised the shareholders of the Cotesa GmbH on the sale of shares to Chinese investors.
- Support to Dermapharm on the takeover of EUROMED.
- Advice to the shareholders of the Kaimann GmbH on the sale to the Saint-Gobain Gruppe.
At its Frankfurt and Munich offices, Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP often advises international corporations and institutional financial investors on cross-border M&A transactions. The group also has cross-practice expertise in private equity transactions and assists with capital markets matters. Gerhard Schmidt, who also handles restructuring issues, heads the practice.
General Electric Company
Concardis Payment Group
MKM Mansfelder Kupfer und Messing GmbH
Culligan International Company
Culligan International Company
MS Industrie AG
- Advice to Alibaba on the acquisition of the e-commerce platform Daraz from Rocket Internet.
- Advised the owners of MKM Mansfelder Kupfer und Messing GmbH on the takeover of the group by the KME Group.
- Advice to Elevion GmbH/CEZ Group on the purchase of all shares in the Hermos AG and the Hermos Schaltanlagen GmbH from their shareholders.
In the mid-cap sphere, BEITEN BURKHARDT focuses on advising medium-sized as well as family-led companies and demonstrates particularly deep expertise in the automotive sector; the group has additional experience in the energy, health and real estate industries as well as in the food, financial services, media and telecoms sectors. Christian von Wistinghausen in Berlin, Maximilian Emanuel Elspas in Munich and Hans-Josef Vogel in Düsseldorf jointly head the practice, which also includes Angelika Kapfer; she made partner in the beginning of 2020.
Christian von Wistinghausen; Maximilian Emanuel Elspas; Hans-Josef Vogel
Other key lawyers:
‘Personal, trustworthy advice and cooperation.‘
‘Committed partners, who have a particular feel for client’s concerns.‘
Amphenol Corporation, Wallingford, Conneticut (USA)
Atotech Deutschland GmbH
Audax Group (Boston, Massachusetts)
Hitachi Solutions Europe Ltd.
ICE AGE ICE
Mérieux NutriSciences Corporation
Puratos Group N.V.
SHS Gesellschaft für Beteiligungsmanagement mbH
Stadtwerke Heidenheim Gruppe
- Advice to Hitachi Solutions Europe Limited on the direct purchase of all shares in the implexis GmbH and indirect acquisition of all shares in the implexis analytics GmbH.
- Support to My Media (a company of the French Heroiks consortium) on the acquisition of a majority stake in the Peak Ace AG.
- Advised the founders of the exploqii GmbH on selling all of its shares of exploqii GmbH (content provider) to the US company KnowBe4.
Deloitte Legal Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH predominantly advises international corporations with investment aspirations on mid-cap transactions, often including cross-border aspects. The transactional assistance is complemented with cross-practice advice on financial and tax law. Markus Schackmann and Michael von Rüden in Düsseldorf jointly head the practice.
Markus Schackmann; Michael von Rüden
‘A pragmatic instead of dogmatic approach.‘
‘The legal team at Deloitte is from the first moment of contact until the project implementation consistently courteous, very quick, 100% skilled and 100% reliable.‘
TRIMET Aluminium SE
Main Capital Partners B.V.
Refresco Deutschland GmbH
KYOCERA Document Solutions
TÜV Rheinland AG
Verifone Holding GmbH
Rheinische Post Mediengruppe
Mondelez Deutschland GmbH
DMK Deutsches Milchkontor GmbH
Salzgitter Maschinenbau AG
B3i Services AG
Honda Motor Europe Limited
Salzgitter Maschinenbau AG (SMAG)
Teijin Frontier Co. , Ltd. Japan
Grupo Alimentario Citrus, S.L., Spanien
cws boco International GmbH
SCM Group. Italy
ADC Blackfire Entertainment s.r.o.
Circ IT GmbH & Co. KG
DVV Media Group GmbH
David Hain und Tobias Hain
Unity Semiconductor SAS, Frankreich
- Advice to Salzgitter Maschinenbau AG on the purchase of the majority stake in BMA Braunschweigische Maschinenbauanstalt AG.
- Advised Jung.INV/Crosslantic on the acquisition of the Hakle GmbH.
- Advice to GETEC Energie AG on the purchase of 100% of shares in an energy trading company.
Flick Gocke Schaumburg
Flick Gocke Schaumburg advises on all matters pertaining to transactions in the mid-cap arena and has particularly wide-ranging experience in the energy and real estate sectors. The group also assists clients with post-M&A disputes. Dieter Leuering is ‘strategically excellent‘ and Michael Erkens frequently advises on tax-related issues.
DocMorris / Zur Rose Gruppe
leverdy GmbH & Co. KG
- Advice to the DocMorris Holding GmbH and Zur Rose Gruppe on the takeover of the mail order business of the online pharmacy medpex.
- Support to the EWE AG on the second investment phase of a public offer to approximately 270 communities on the investment in the EWE NETZ GmbH.
Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner
Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner has longstanding experience in advising medium-sized and family-led companies on national as well as cross-border transactions; the group is active in the real estate, medical technology and automotive sectors among others. The team also assists with distressed M&A issues. Barbara Mayer is considered to have 'negotiating power' and jointly heads the practice with Gerhard Manz and Arnt Göppert.
Barbara Mayer; Gerhadt Manz; Arnt Göppert
‘Wide-ranging knowledge and very fast implementation of M&A frameworks.‘
‘Extremely experienced team.‘
‘High quality and large number of transactional experts.‘
abas Software AG
AUSY S.A., Paris
EMERAM CAPITAL PARTNERS / Meona Group
Fischer Küchenatelier Gruppe
Gesellschafter der ABC Design GmbH
Gesellschafter der inprotec AG
SES-Imagotag Deutschland GmbH (bisher: findbox GmbH)
Thalia GmbH und Gesellschafter der Thalia-Gruppe
Due to the firm's focus on insolvency advice, the M&A practice at GÖRG Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB is particularly strong in distressed M&A matters; the group also assists with traditional transactions in the energy, infrastructure and waste management sectors. Frank Evers in Hamburg heads the practice. Former practice co-head Oliver von Rosenberg as well as Alexander Jüngst joined Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek.
‘Very specialised team.‘
Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
Based on an interdisciplinary approach, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP predominantly advises international corporations on mid-cap transactions which frequently include cross-border aspects; the group cooperates particularly often with its Paris and London offices. Ferdinand Fromholzer frequently assists private equity investors and Lutz Englisch has additional expertise in capital markets law.
CCL Industries Inc.
- Advice to LivaNova on the sale of its share in the Cerbomed GmbH.
- Advice to the SGB-SMIT Gruppe, a portfolio company of One Equity Partners, on the acquisition of BCV Technologies.
- Advised SGB-SMIT on the acquisition of Powertech Transformers in South Africa.
Greenfort's M&A practice covers traditional company acquisitions on both buyer and seller side, real estate transactions as well as private equity issues, while matters often include cross-border aspects. The Frankfurt-based team advises family-led companies, financial investors and national corporations among others and has particular expertise in the media, energy and transport industries. Ahn-Duc Cordalis also assists with financing matters and Andreas von Oppen is considered 'excellent in every way'.
Other key lawyers:
Andreas von Oppen; Anh-Duc Cordalis; Gunther A. Weiss; Carsten J. Angersbach; Daniel Röder
‘Full-service; always available; consistent partner attention.‘
‘No theoretical discourse; solution-oriented.‘
Argand Partners / Oase Gruppe
Björn Schwind (Gründer Zeit für Brot)
LGI Logistics Group International
Management der KGS Gruppe
Manager der Universal Imports bvba
MHT Holding AG
MIND CTI, Israel, börsennotiert (NASDAQ)
Styria Media Group
- Advice to the Henn Gruppe on the purchase of the TKW Molding GmbH.
- Advice to Feintool on the purchase of all assets of the Schuler AG Gruppe as well as of the Stanz- und Lasertechnik Jessen Gruppe.
- Advice to the media group RTL on the sale of Universum Film to KKR.
From across seven offices, the M&A team at Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek advises medium-sized companies and institutional investors on real estate transactions and company acquisitions on buyer as well as seller side; the practice is particularly active in the health sector, but also receives instructions from other industries. In addition, the group assists with private equity and capital markets-related matters. Boris Dürr in Munich and Thorsten Kuthe in Cologne jointly head the practice.
Boris Dürr; Thorsten Kuthe
‘Outstanding legal skills paired with economic expertise.‘
AERTEC Solutions S.L.
diconium group GmbH
Gesellschafter Kolle Rebbe GmbH
GS Star Hotels
Odewald KMU II
PREMIUM Equity Partners, Frankfurt/Main
STINAG Stuttgart Invest AG, Stuttgart
Subsea 7 Interim UK Holdings Limited
Trumpf GmbH & Co. KG
VR Equitypartner GmbH
- Advice to the diconium group GmbH on the sale of 49% of business shares in the diconium digital GmbH to the Volkswagen AG.
- Advice to a shareholder of the Kolle Rebbe GmbH on the sale of the Kolle Rebbe Werbeagentur GmbH to the Accenture GmbH.
- Advised the GS Star GmbH on the acquisition of the Rilano Group.
PwC Legal (PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal AG Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft)
In the transactional mid-cap sphere, PwC Legal (PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal AG Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft) advises large corporations and medium-sized companies and is particularly active in private equity and venture capital-related matters in Germany and abroad. 'Very competent' managing partner Steffen Schniepp leads the practice, which also includes Frederic Mirza Khanian and Thomas Brunn, who joined from Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer and CMS respectively. Former practice co-head Robert Manger, however, left for Ernst & Young Law in January 2020.
‘Interdisciplinary approach and close cooperation.‘
‘The key contacts are competent, work swiftly and are very reliable with regards to quality and timing.‘
Adolf Würth GmbH & Co. KG
Bundesministerium für Verkehr und digitale Infrastruktur
Elanco US, Inc.
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Investors / shareholders of Amicra Microtechnolgies GmbH (EVP, S-Refit AG, VRD, KfW, founders)
Mahle Behr GmbH & Co. KG
Nagel Group SE & Co. KG
Süd Beteiligungen GmbH
- Advice to Alvara Cash Management Group on its sale to Silver Investment Partners.
- Comprehensive advice to the pharmaceutical company Boehringer Ingelheim on the sale of its Spanish subsidiary company Malgrat Pharma Chemicals.
- Advice to the shareholders of the Amicra Microtechnologies GmbH on the sale of the company to ASM Group.
The M&A practice at Shearman & Sterling LLP advises large, often listed national and international corporations on cross-border transactions, which can be particularly well coordinated due to the firm's global integration. The team also has cross-practice expertise in capital markets law. Alfred Kossmann increasingly acts in private equity matters and Thomas König heads the practice.
Other key lawyers:
International Chemical Investors
Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
P.H. Glatfelter Company
Warner Music Group
- Advice to the Continental AG on the acquisition of Kathrein Automotive GmbH.
- Advice to International Chemical Investors/ Weylchem Group on the purchase of the Catexel Group from Unilever Ventures.
- Advice to the Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation on the acquisition of all shares in the Cleanpart Group GmbH from Service Investment S.à.r.l..
Watson Farley & Williams LLP
Watson Farley & Williams LLP's industry focus on the energy, real estate and transport sectors also reflects on its German M&A practice, although the team additionally advises on transactions in other industries. Deals often include cross-border components, which can be easily handled due to the group's international network. Torsten Rosenboom and Dirk Janssen jointly head the team.
Dirk Janssen; Torsten Rosenboom
‘Specific industry knowledge and distinct business acumen in the energy and infrastructure area.‘
‘Able to handle M&A transactions on highest level.‘
Alpina Capital Partners LLP
European FinTyre Distribution
Familie Westedt / UNITANK
Storengy Deutschland GmbH
Tank & Rast-Gruppe
- Advised the Storengy Deutschland GmbH in the course of the sale of its share in the gas storage in Breitbrunn/Eggstätt to a German subsidiary company of the Slovakian NAFTA a.s.
- Advice to the Saudi Arabian Zahid Group on the purchase of a 50% share in the Greencells Group.
- Advised funds, which are managed by Alpina Capital Partners LLP, on the purchase of a majority share in Objective International NV.
Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP predominantly advises on transactions in the private equity and financial services sectors. The group offers full-service advice on national as well as cross-border transactions and has particular expertise in matters related to the health sector as well as consumer goods. The Frankfurt-based practice is led by Georg Linde, who is especially experienced in the high-tech industry.
Other key lawyers:
Stefan Jörgens; Maximilian Schwab
CVC Capital Partners
PAI Partners, and its portfolio companies
The Sterling Group, and its portfolio companies
GoldenTree Asset Management
Hudson’s Bay Company (HBC)
3i Group plc, and its portfolio companies
Ardian Private Equity (f/k/a AXA Private Equity) and its portfolios companies
Genstar Capital, and its portfolio companies
Waterland Private Equity
tbg Technologie-Beteiligungs-Gesellschaft mbH, a subsidiary of KFW Group
Railpool (Oaktree portfolio company)
Palamon Capital Partners
Insight Partners (f/k/a Insight Venture Partners)
DexKo Global Inc.
Yazaki Europe Ltd.
- Advice to HK Food GmbH on the sale of the Nordsee Holding GmbH to KC North Sea.
- Advice to Scout 24 on the purchase of all shares in the FFG FINANZCHECK Finanzportale GmbH.