Media and entertainment: Television/radio in France
Carbonnier Lamaze Rasle advises several major French public TV channels such as Arte and France Télévisions, with particular strength in advising clients the context of court proceedings launched following the broadcasting of TV programmes and documentaries. The practice recently defended France Médias Monde in defamation proceedings initiated by former Gabonese President Ali Bongo. Michel Rasle is in charge. Hedwige Caldairou is the other key member.
Other key lawyers:
FRANCE MEDIAS MONDE
- Defended France Médias Monde in defamation proceedings launched by former Gabonese president Ali Bongo.
De Gaulle Fleurance & Associés has a strong involvement in the media sector. The firm assists several major French and US television broadcasters and producers as well as leading video-on-demand ('VOD') platforms acting as producers. The team notably advises on production contracts and rights clearance of TV and VOD series and also advises a major sport event organiser on the sale of TV rights. Other work includes strategic litigation, notably in relation to TV channel broadcasting and IP issues. Charles-Edouard Renault and Louis de Gaulle are in charge. IP expert Julien Horn is also a key contributor.
Charles-Edouard Renault; Louis de Gaulle
Other key lawyers:
ASO-Amaury Sport organization
Twentieth Century Fox
- Represented TF1 in a series of disputes with France’s main internet service providers Altice-SFR, Orange, and Groupe Canal+ in relation to the payment of royalties.
- Represented TF1 in a damage compensation dispute with TV producer Isoëte Production regarding the abrupt end of a 14-year commercial relationship.
Deprez Guignot Associés is longstanding adviser to M6, one of France's main media groups and TV broadcasters. The firm recently handled strategic matters for M6, including advising on the creation of the new joint venture video-on-demand platform called Salto. The practice also advised two major radio stations. IP, IT, contract and commercial issues are also dealt with. Pierre Deprez, Frédéric Dumont and Philippe Bonnet are the key contacts. Guillaume Deglaire left for Harper Avocats in 2019.
Pierre Deprez; Frédéric Dumont; Philippe Bonnet
- Advised Groupe M6 on the creation of new joint venture internet video-on-demand platform Salto.
Herald Avocats' Jean Castelain, who is supported by counsel Juliette Félix, is key adviser to public TV broadcaster and media group France Télévisions, a key name on the firm's client roster. The practice regularly defends the media company in defamation lawsuits in connection with the broadcasting of various TV programmes. Additionally, the team provides strategic advice on broadcasting issues, including the negotiation of broadcasting rights with major TV presenters.
Other key lawyers:
- Successfully defended public TV group France Télévisions before the Court of Appeal in defamation proceedings launched by the state of Azerbaijan in relation to the broadcasting of a program called Cash Investigation: My President Is On a Business Trip during which the journalists referred to the country as a dictatorship.
- Successfully defended public TV group France Télévisions before the Court of Appeal in defamation proceedings launched by Vincent Bolloré, Bolloré SA and Bolloré Africa Logistics in relation to the broadcasting of a program called Complement d’enquête Vincent Bolloré, un ami qui vous veut du bien?.
- Represented France Télévisions in a dispute against Canal+ relating to the end of a ‘zapping’ programme and the broadcasting of ‘Vu’.
NomoS advises several leading internet platforms on structuring their internet TV and radio offers in France. The firm also acts for several major French and European media groups, such as radio stations Europe 1 and Virgin Radio, as well as pay TV company Euronews, whom the group helped launch Euronews Africa. The practice also advises several production companies on French series and audiovisual program production issues. Eric Lauvaux is highly experienced.
‘The team shows high-level technique and provides great and adapted strategic advice.’
RHAMSA/ FRANKLIN PRODUCTIONS
- Assisted Lagardère TV with the sale of TV services Gulli and Mezzo.
- Assisted Euronews with the launch of Euronews Africa.
Pechenard & Associés
Pechenard & Associés regularly defends public TV broadcasters in libel and defamation disputes following the broadcasting of documentaries on their channels, including several files involving France Télévisions. Practice head Eric Andrieu, Fabien Honorat and Caroline Mas are the key contacts.
‘The team has excellent knowledge of press law.’
‘Eric Andrieu and Caroline Mas are highly valuable partners who are committed and obtained excellent outcomes for their clients.’
- Represented France Télévisions in a slander criminal case initiated by politician Marine Le Pen in relation to the broadcasting of a television programme before the Cour de Cassation’s Assemblée Plénière.
- Represented France Télévisions before the Cour de Cassation in a breach of privacy dispute initiated by Lactalis’s CEO Emmanuel Besnier following the broadcasting of the television programme Envoyé Special.
- Represented TV5 Monde in a case initiated by Lucien Ebata, the publishing director of Forbes Afrique, who filed a complaint for libel in relation to the broadcast of TV show Afrique Presse.
Headed by Pierre-Randolph Dufau, PRD Avocats' three-lawyer team is longstanding adviser to TV and radio media groups Nextinteractive (BFMTV, RMC) and Euronews, whom the practice frequently defends in court proceedings regarding defamation, libel, right to privacy and freedom of expression matters. Recently, the boutique also defended journalists as victims of verbal abuses and physical acts of violence during Yellow Vest protests.
Nextinteractive (BFMTV, RMC)
Vercken & Gaullier
Vercken & Gaullier advises many of France's leading private and public sector TV and radio broadcasters, including a major sports TV channel. The practice notably assists clients with the negotiation of broadcasting rights, production contracts and collecting society royalties, and also assists them with their relationship with TV regulator CSA. Gilles Vercken and Florence Gaullier are recommended.
Gilles Vercken; Florence Gaullier
France Médias Monde
Wilhelm & Associés
Wilhelm & Associés is strategic adviser to French media group and TV broadcaster Canal+ on high-stake competition and litigation issues pertaining to the audiovisual, TV and online television sector. The firm notably represented Canal+ in several domestic antitrust and merger control cases involving other key industry players, including satellite and broadband TV providers. The practice also assisted France Channels with the creation of the company and the development of its business model in the field of internet TV. Practice head Pascal Wilhelm and counsels Emilie Dumur and Stéphanie Coen are the key contacts.
GROUPE CANAL +
- Advising new internet TV provider France Channels on the creation of the company and the development of its business model.
- Representing GROUPE CANAL + before the EU General Court regarding a previous EU Commission’s decision over international pay TV access granted by cinema studios to pay-TV operators.
- Defending GROUPE CANAL + in contract litigation proceedings with PARABOLE REUNION regarding pay TV satellite distribution issues.
- Defending GROUPE CANAL + in a dispute brought by MA CHAINE SPORT.
CBR & Associés' Pierre-Olivier Chartier has strong experience handling challenging commercial disputes between major operators in the media and broadcasting sector. He assists leading TV, radio and media groups as well as a major internet TV provider. Notable cases involve advising on contentious cases involving the broadcasting of TV channel content on various networks, including through the internet.
‘The firm has excellent expertise in the media field, and particularly in the music and TV industry sectors. The advice provided always exactly suits clients’ needs. Lawyers come up with innovative and efficient strategies when dealing with commercial disputes.’
- Represented NEXTRADIO TV in a dispute with internet service provider Free relating to the distribution of certain channels by Free.
- Represented internet TV provider Molotov in a dispute with major French TV channel M6 regarding the legality of M6’s general terms and conditions of distribution.
Crossen & Borowsky
Media and entertainment boutique Crossen & Borowsky has a broad range of expertise in the audiovisual sector, spanning regulatory, transactional and litigation aspects. The practice regularly advises UK and North American production companies on the negotiation of IP rights and production matters of TV and video-on-demand series. Advice on streaming and video-on-demand broadcasting agreements accounts for another significant portion of the caseload. The five-lawyer team also acts for major TV broadcasters such as Canal+ and Rai Com and TV satellite provider Eutelsat. Raechel Crossen and Sophie Borowsky are recommended.
Raechel Crossen; Sophie Borowsky
Canal + Groupe SA
Vice Content Development US
Satisfaction The Television Agency SAS
Beta Films GmbH
Lee & Thomson LLP
Harbottle & Lewis LLP
Headline Pictures Ltd.
The Hideaway Entertainment
Gray Krauss Sandler Des Rocher LLP
Stephen Saltzman at Paul Hastings
Compagnie des Phares et Balises SAS
Riot Games Inc.
DreamWorks Animation LLC
Reel One Entertainment Ltd
Ce qui me meut
- Represented Rai Com in a dispute with Free regarding copyright infringement issues.
- Represented satellite operator Eutelsat TV in emergency proceedings launched by Algerian production company Ennahar Production to stop Eutelsat from broadcasting a program produced by Algerian broadcaster Echourouk TV.
- Assisted Bron Pictures and Headlines production companies with the negotiation of a remake agreement with the French producers of the ’10 pour cent’ series.
Fourlon Avocats is headed by Armelle Fourlon, who specialises in the fields of intellectual property, media and new technologies. She advises on co-production agreements as well as on copyright and trade mark protection issues.
Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I. is adviser to several major public radio and TV broadcasters, including Radio France, France Télévisions and Arte. The firm is notably defending Radio France in libel lawsuits. The French Ministry of Culture also turns to the firm for media sector-related advice. TMT partner Olivier Cousi and counsel Julien Guinot-Deléry are the key contacts.
Olivier Cousi; Julien Guinot-Deléry
‘Counsel Julien Guinot-Deléry is an exceptional lawyer who demonstrates high-level professionalism and rigour. He is very enthusiastic and anticipates matters.’
La Comédie Française
French Ministry of Culture and Communication
- Represented Radio France and its journalists in civil and criminal libel lawsuits in relation to the disclosure of political strategic information.
Taylor Wessing regularly advises audiovisual production companies on the production of French TV and video-on-demand series. Christian Valsamidis and Claire Saint-Laurent-Mantoux are the key contacts in the field. Also involved are Marc Schuler, who advises on IP rights regarding television series, and litigator Benoît Goulesque-Monaux.
Christian Valsamidis; Claire Saint-Laurent-Mantoux; Benoît Goulesque-Monaux; Marc Schuler
‘Marc Schuler provides strategic advice in line with clients’ commercial expectations and focuses on core issues.’
- Providing Mandarin TV with day-to-day assistance in relation to French series MORTEL, broadcast on Netflix, and Cadre Noir, which is produced and co-financed by Arte and Netflix.
- Assisted Zodiak Media with securing the protection of the title of TV series Versailles.
WAN Avocats' seven-lawyer team advises several TV channels and major TV production companies, one radio station, major TV presenters as well as various entertainers. The firm notably provides contract production expertise and also handles related litigation. In addition, the firm assists several independent film production studios. Isabelle Wekstein-Steg and Raphaël Naccach co-head the practice.
Isabelle Wekstein-Steg; Raphaël Naccach