Transport in East Midlands
Rotheras’ ‘highly experienced and friendly’ team is ‘excellent for road transport law enquiries’ and regulatory work. It is also highly regarded for clandestine stowaway problems faced by transport operators across the EU. Brexit-related matters have been a key component of its recent work, namely the need to apply for EMCT International Road Haulage Permits, driver license changes, cross trade advice and customs declaration applications. Practice head Anton Balkitis represents commercial operators, professional drivers and private motorist on a wide range of matters including vehicle offences and license entitlements. Recommended associate Olivia Maginn handles licences, compliance, public inquiries and the defence of motorists.
Other key lawyers:
Olivia Maginn; Laura Newton;
‘Anton Balkitis, who whilst being extremely knowledgeable on all matters of road transport law, always has time to discuss and goes the extra mile. He’s a pleasure to work with’.
‘Professional and friendly’.
‘For road transport law inquiries, they are excellent’.
- Successfully represented the client at Operator Licensing Public Inquiry called on grounds of repute, professional competence and financial standing.
- Represented the client at Public Inquiry in new application for standard national licence authorising 40 vehicles and 23 trailers.
- Represented the client at a Goods Vehicle Operator’s Licence Public Inquiry at which no formal regulatory action was taken.
Michelle Craven-Faulkner and Jonathan Butler jointly head the transport practice at Geldards LLP. Active across a broad range of sectors, the team is highly rated within the rail industry, representing rolling stock manufacturers, infrastructure contractors, labour suppliers and industry consultants, among others. The same can be said of the automobile space, where the group deploys its expertise on behalf of manufacturers, franchises retailers and independents. Other clients include numerous players in the aerospace supply chain.
Michelle Craven-Faulkner; Jonathan Butler
‘Jonathan Butler provides strategic and valuable insights into aspects of UK consumer law directly affecting the automotive sector‘.
Altius VA Limited
Elite KL Limited
Infra Safety Services Labour Limited
INIT Innovations in Transportation Limited
Sperry Rail (International) Limited
Stadler Rail Management AG
Stadler Rail Services UK Limited
- Acting for Pendragon PLC in relation to a prosecution by Middlesbrough Council for non-disclosure of material information in connection with the prior business status of a used car.
- Represented a dedicated rail labour supplier in entering into a joint venture to thereafter supply rail staff into major infrastructure projects on a national basis under a long term framework arrangement.
- Advised a leading supplier of integrated planning, dispatching, telematics and ticketing systems for buses and trains on the contractual arrangements required to provide a contactless ticketing solution to several operators, including Nottingham City Council.
- Advising a rolling stock manufacturer with the taking over and running of a number of depots including regulatory, commercial, property, corporate and employment matters.
- Providing advice in relation to certain substantial framework agreements with a national infrastructure body.
Smith Partnership’s team of aviation law specialists are ‘increasingly a force to be reckoned with in heavyweight transport and travel-related claims’. Representing a number of high-profile international airlines, tour operators, handling agents and aviation insurers, the group is engaged for personal injury and fatal accidents, denied boarding, delayed and cancelled flights, lost, delayed and damaged baggage in addition to employers and public liability claims. Team head Bally Atwal is ‘always thinking strategically’.
‘Increasingly a force to be reckoned with in heavyweight transport and travel related claims’.
‘Bally Atwal is the stand-out person. Charming but with inner toughness, always thinking strategically and how best to serve the client’s interests, whether that means fighting or settling’.
‘Great network. Strong aviation experience. Good services’.
‘Know-how and quality delivered by Bally Atwal’.
- Acting on behalf of an airline in defence against a personal injury claim brought under the Montreal Convention 1999.
- Acting for a company who manufacture parachutes, in defending a claim for indemnity and contribution.
- Acting on behalf of airline in defence against a lost / damaged luggage claim.
- Represented an airline in defence against a claim for a refund after the Claimants were denied boarding.
- Acted on behalf of an airline in defence of an EC261/2004 claim for a flight delay.