Education in East Midlands
At Browne Jacobson LLP, the team’s specialist knowledge of academy conversions, multi-academy trusts and PFI schools is 'invaluable and unique’. The ‘excellent’ Mark Blois heads up the practice, which counts academy transfers, academy trust mergers and expansions and academy rebrokerage among its core strengths. Other work includes property advice, education-specific GDPR implementation, regulatory work, parent complaints and disputes as well as discrimination claims.
Other key lawyers:
‘Exceptional sector knowledge and coverage of the areas of potential risk to multi-academy trusts‘.
‘Their work is top drawer. Their strengths are: 1. Deep understanding of the sector – hence such strong roundtable events when they host; 2. Mastery of both the precise (for example, regulatory governance in multi-academy trusts); and the strategic (very good horizon scanners and policy commentators/influencers); 3. Political acuity and a tremendous empathy‘.
‘Mark Blois is extremely professional, competent, pleasant and helpful‘.
‘Mark Blois, the assignment partner, is excellent, as he had very good knowledge and understanding of governance in a single academy trust‘.
‘Always willing to go the extra mile and provide consistently a steady steer through legal frameworks, due diligence and the laws expectations of schools and colleges‘.
Greenwood Academies Trust
Flying High Trust
Redhill Academy Trust
Community Inclusive Trust
RC Diocese of Nottingham
Believe Academy Trust
Diverse Academies Learning Partnership
Lionheart Academies Trust
Rushey Mead Academy Trust
Spencer Academy Trust
Horncastle Education Trust
Nova Education Trust
Atlas Multi-Academy Trust
Lawrence Sheriff School
Dronfield Junior School
Loxford School Trust
The Elliot Foundation Academy Trust
Our Lady of Lourdes Academy Trust
Boarding Schools Association
Thomas Deacon Education Trust
Heart Education Trust
Learning Academies Partnership
Academy Transformation Trust
RC Diocese of Leeds, Westminster, Birmingham
Archdiocese of Birmingham
Central Learning Partnership Trust
Sevak Education Trust
Diocese of Bristol Academy Trust
Russell Education Trust
Zenith Multi-Academy Trust
Tees Valley Collaborative Trust
Torfield Saxon Mount Academy Trust
The Legacy Learning Trust
Rugby High School Academy Trust
Humber Education Trust
Raleigh Learning Trust
Apollo Partnership Trust
Aspire Multi-Academy Trust
Archway Learning Trust
- Leading national provider of legal advice to Roman Catholic Dioceses in relation to academy projects.
- Acted for Lawrence Sheriff School Academy Trust in a harassment claim against a head teacher.
- Representing a junior school in relation to a disability discrimination claim brought by the parents of a former pupil.
- Providing advice to and representing a number of local authorities and academy trusts on special educational needs and disability appeals.
- Advising school and academy trust clients on a range of contentious and non-contentious matters relating to the application of the Equality Act 2010 covering protected characteristics including gender reassignment, race and disability.
Freeths LLP's client roster includes various schools and colleges, as well as several major universities. Academy conversions are a key strength, with the practice undertaking a broad range of contracts and governance work, property-related instructions, student issues and employment disputes. Team head Stephen Pearson is an expert on governance contracts, procurement and state aid issues.
‘The team is accessible, well-informed and proactive‘
University of Nottingham
CPC “Crescent” Consortium (various schools and colleges)
Birmingham Metropolitan College
Shrewsbury Roman Catholic Diocesan Board of Education
Nottingham Trent University
University of Birmingham
University of Lincoln
Oxford Brookes University
- Advised the University of Nottingham on complex arrangements concerning termination of contract with government department.
- Acted for an academy trust on a major dispute with another academy trust, culminating in successful mediation and FOI disclosure issues.
- Acted for the University of Nottingham on commercial and property agreements with National Foundation, including partnering with Academic Departments.
Howes Percival LLP has a cross-practice team, which provides support on corporate, property, construction, commercial and data protection issues. Primary, secondary and faith schools turn to the group for advice on single academy conversions and multi-academy trusts. The firm also generates work from colleges and universities. Graham Irons (who co-heads the practice with Daniel Banton and Mark Davies) advises on restructuring and employment matters, as well as the management of parent companies.
Graham Irons; Daniel Banton; Mark Davies;
Milton Keynes College
De Montfort University
Elston Hall Multi Academy Trust
Northwood Park Educational Trust
Learning Link Multi Academy Trust
Services 4 Schools Limited
Christ the King Catholic Collegiate
Perry Hall Multi Academy Trust
Lumen Christi Catholic Multi Academy Trust
Codsall Multi Academy Trust
St Bartholomew’s CE Multi Academy Trust
- Advising Perry Hall Multi Academy Trust on the conversion of Woodthorne Primary School into an academy within the Perry Hall Multi Academy Trust.
- Advising All Saints Church of England Primary School on its conversion to academy status within St Bartholomew’s CE Multi Academy Trust.
- Advising Lumen Christi Catholic Multi Academy Company on updating its academy documentation.
- Assisting Codsall Multi Academy Trust with constitutional issues.
Geldards LLP specialises in advising primary and secondary schools, multi-academy trusts and Church of England schools on academy conversions. Additional bedrocks of the practice include advising Church School Trusts on property and governance issues, as well as rebrokerage matters. In addition, the firm is increasingly active in HR support mandates. Michelle Craven-Faulkner heads up the department.
University of Leicester
Nottinghamshire County Council
- Acting for Nottingham College on the acquisition and development of its new Skills Hub, and also its disposal of the existing Maid Marian Way facility.
- Acting for a large multi-academy trust on academy conversions and general HR matters.
- Act for a school in all HR related matters, which includes dealing with a lengthy grievance involving several allegations against staff members and negotiating, drafting Settlement Agreement.
- Advising a Multi-Academy Trust with a religious affiliation on its academy conversions.
- Advising religious educational charity on significant property development and incorporation.
Hewitsons' multi-faceted practice covers areas such as data protection, development and construction, dispute resolution, employment and regulatory advice for clients. It is also adept in independent school mergers and acquisitions, as well as single and multi-academy conversions. Practice head Chris Knight advises a number of clients from the charity sector on education-related issues.
The Wilson Foundation
Maidwell Hall School
Becketts and Sargeants Educational Foundation
United Church Schools Trust
United Church Schools Foundation
United Learning Trust
Northampton Free School Trust
- Advice to a major schools group on the acquisition of a school with an unusual structure.
- Assisted The Wilson Foundation with acquiring a residential outdoor centre for school children from the local authority.
- Ongoing advice to a major local educational grant making charity.
- Advising a large schools group on the sale of Caterham School.
Langleys Solicitors LLP advises nurseries, local authorities, independent schools, colleges and universities on a broad range of education-related matters. Academy conversions are a particular speciality, with the team handling all aspects of the conversion process. Additional types of work undertaken include advising on property and commercial issues, parental and student disputes, admissions and exclusions. Practice head Kate Hindmarch is an expert in employment matters.
‘Their advice is always sound and pragmatic, based on a good understanding of business context and needs‘.
‘Aleksandra Flack and Kate Hindmarch are extremely competent, responsive, professional and personable‘.
Priory Federation of Academies Trust
Gorse Academies Trust
Lincoln College Group
University of Lincoln
- Advising Priory Federation of Academies on acquiring additional schools, bringing its total to ten.
- Defending a High Court breach of contract claim.
- Advising a trust on a parental dispute.
- Obtaining an injunction restraining a parent from harassment.
Nelsons Solicitors Limited has a varied workload, which includes academy conversions, misconduct and grievance investigations and contractual disputes. Practice head Laura Kearsley is an expert in all forms of discrimination (including sex, disability, race and religion), industrial relations and discipline and grievance issues, among other employment issues. Other members of the team advise clients on GDPR and corporate affairs. The client base comprises of various schools, academies and education providers, as well as teachers and other employees.
- Advised a client on her rights on the withdrawal of a job offer following an adverse reference from her former employer school.
- Advising a teacher client on suspension and proposed disciplinary procedure for safeguarding issues.
- Acted for a university in a dispute with a former student over unpaid tuition fees.
- Advising an alternative education provider on the lease of premises.
- Advising an assistant head teacher on possible constructive unfair dismissal.