Firms in the Spotlight Immigration
HUMAN RESOURCES The firm has continued to advise a number of large businesses over the last 12 months around Brexit, immigration and people strategy. Clients have included one of the largest car manufactures which has plants throughout Europe, two multisite and multinational retailers both of which are dependent on EU nationals as part of their …View Profile...
Immigration in East Midlands
At Chattertons, solicitor advocate Louis Harman (who leads the department) is particularly well-regarded for his representation of families at the Immigration Tribunal. He also excels in visa and residence card applications, and has a growing reputation for assisting individuals and companies alike with Brexit-related concerns. Sponsorship compliance, EU law residency rights, nationality law and human rights-related immigration are also key strengths.
- Assisted a small business client with obtaining a sponsor licence to enable it to grow its IT department.
- Assisted a mother, who was liable for deportation, with successfully obtaining human rights-based visas (and subsequently British citizenship) for her two children. This allowed the family to stay in the UK together.
- Assisted an Egyptian national with obtaining a Zambrano residence card under EU law. He had previously been rejected twice.
- Obtained settlement visas for a family who had previously been ill-advised to enter the UK and apply for visas as visitors.
Niche immigration firm Paragon Law is strong in corporate immigration compliance and the immigration-related aspects of establishing a new business in the UK. Equally adept in advising individuals and businesses, the team also handles outward immigration work, human rights and asylum matters. Managing director and founder Thalej Vasishta is the key name.
Browne Jacobson LLP has a proven track record of handling Licence to Sponsor and Tier Two visa applications, and also has expertise in advising high-net-worth individuals on obtaining indefinite leave to remain (ILR) settlement under the EU Settlement Scheme and family visas. The firm is also home to a strong employment practice and assists clients with employment-related immigration matters, including right to work checks and the termination of employment for illegal workers. Industry expertise includes the private healthcare and education sectors, among others. Associate Helen Taylor leads the practice.
Watches of Switzerland Limited
Rodericks Dental Ltd
- Advising a number of schools on the employment implications of converting to academy status, including many related immigration matters.
- Advising a multi-brand luxury retailer on the retention of migrant staff to assist in the development of business with China.
- A national corporate instructed the team to act as its representative and Level 1 User to enable it to continue to sponsor staff nationwide.
Rachel Harvey is a new name at Shoosmiths LLP following her arrival from Shakespeare Martineau LLP. She bring with her expertise of the retail, manufacturing, sports, educational and hospitality industries as well as a high-net-worth client base whom she assist in respect of entrepreneur visas, applications for Indefinite Leave to Remain and EEA regulation applications. The team is also home to established prowess on corporate immigration and Brexit planning matters.
Other key lawyers:
Helen Burgess; Rachel Harvey
The Open University
Wing Lam Lee
- Assisting the HR team with transfer of highly skilled nationals into the UK under the Tier 2 ICT and Tier 2 general route.