Health and safety in East Midlands
Browne Jacobson LLP is active in handling fatal and non-fatal health and safety accidents alike. On the regulatory front, it advises on policies and protocols and the management of bespoke risks such as chemicals, asbestos and legionella. Work from public sector clients is a pillar of the practice, with the firm acting for education establishments, fire services and local authorities, among others. Andrew Hopkin heads up the practice, which also acts for several high-profile commercial organisations, both directly and through their insurers. Stephanie McGarry is a specialist regulatory advocate, who has experience of corporate manslaughter investigations and proceedings before the Magistrates' Court and Coroner's Court.
Other key lawyers:
‘No other firm offers the same blend of support, industry insight and teamwork. This is a firm which knows how to form the right team for the job and get the very best possible out of it‘
‘Andrew Hopkin and his team bring a huge range of skills and experience to the table, which makes the Browne Jacobson machine formidable‘
‘Stephanie McGarry is fantastic. She is very knowledgeable about the subject matter and provides a great deal of support‘
Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue
Derbyshire Fire and Rescue
- The firm represented a structural engineering company and its director in a matter where an extension to a domestic property saw a retaining wall collapse, causing the death of one of the builders. The work included advising and representing both the company and the director in a joint police and HSE interview under caution on suspicion of gross negligence manslaughter and health and safety offences. This included liaising with both regulators to ascertain the reasonable grounds upon which both the company and the director were suspected of having committed offences and the exact nature of those offences.
- The firm is representing a property investment company and its director in Crown Court proceedings, which follows an incident where a branch that was being cut rebounded, causing a man to fatally fall from the tree.
- The firm advised and represented a transport company company throughout a HSE investigation, interview under caution and prosecution at the Magistrates’ Court
- The firm acted for Nottinghamshire & City of Nottingham Fire Authority in the successful prosecution of Mahmood Hussain (proprietor of the A1 Hotel) for a number of fire safety offences, which resulted in a custodial sentence and full prosecution costs recovery.
- The firm acted for Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Authority in the successful prosecution against VPS (UK) Ltd for fire safety offences at the former Chesterfield Hotel, Chesterfield.
Howes Percival LLP's ‘dedicated team of clever lawyers’ handles the full range of contentious and non-contentious work for clients from industries such as construction, manufacturing, healthcare and education. It is also particularly well-regarded in the minerals and extractives sector. Led by the ‘vastly experienced’ Alan Millband, the practice also generates work from several health and safety service organisations, consultancies and consultants. Nick Benton, who is an expert on employment-related health and safety issues, recently joined from Freeths LLP,
Other key lawyers:
Geraint Davies; Andrew Swarbrick
‘Associate solicitor Andrew Swarbrick is a rising star. He is a shrewd and clever young lawyer, who has a knack for spotting the way through difficult cases‘.
Citation Professional Solutions
Hamilton Deed (Health and Safety Services)
Welcome Break Group
- Advised a tyre recycling company and its director on breaches of health and safety law surrounding the guarding of dangerous parts of machinery.
- Represented a specialist piling company in a health and safety prosecution arising from a serious accident on a construction project.
- Represented a renowned national UK retailer in a health and safety prosecution arising from health and safety offences committed at several stores and also advised it on an appeal against sentence
- Represented a residential care home business in a case involving serious fire safety offences.
- Advised and represented a company in a health and safety investigation following a serious injury to an employee who fell from height at the company’s premises.