Employment in East Midlands
At Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP, the 'always solid' team is particularly knowledgeable of the education, retail, transport, industrial engineering and financial services sectors. It undertakes a broad range of employment-related mandates for its 'prestigious client base', including industrial relations matters, cross-border outsourcing and business immigration advice. Tribunal claims are a keystone of the practice and are led by recently promoted partner Mark Pipkin. Practice head Mark Fletcher is highly recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Nicola Bennison; Mark Pipkin
McKesson UK (previously Celesio UK)
University of Derby
De Montfort University
- Advising McKesson UK on day to day matters, handling the employment tribunal caseload and acting on the restructure of the Lloyds Pharmacy head office and network.
- Providing Brake Bros Limited with HR advice, in addition to more specialist areas such as TUPE, immigration and labour relations.
- Advising Specsavers on an employment tribunal claim, arising from alleged discrimination on the grounds of race, religion, disability and gender, as well as constructive dismissal.
- Advice to Sandwell College on strike action taken by union members in relation to pay.
- Advising Yum! on its franchising programme for KFC stores, which involved the transfer of store based staff to franchise operators.
The practice at Freeths LLP is particularly active in handling Employment Tribunal litigation. Clients from both the private and public sectors engage the group, which is headed by Rena Magdani and David Potter. Other core strengths include restructures, TUPE, discrimination, whistleblowing, restrictive covenants and injunctive relief. The caseload has had a recent uptick in cases concerning employment status in the gig economy.
Rena Magdani and David Potter
Other key lawyers:
‘The team works to extremely high standards in providing advice to us on cases, and also horizon scanning for the future. It shows the qualities expected of a true partnership in every way through strong levels of trust, commitment and openness‘
‘Rena Magdani has always been outstanding, commercial and pragmatic‘
ALDI Stores Limited
DPD Group UK Limited
Staffline Recruitment Limited
National Express Limited
Paul Smith Limited
ERIKS Industrial Services Limited
Carlsberg UK Ltd
Eddie Stobbart Ltd
- Among other matters, representing DPD Group in a complex multi-day employment tribunal claim for disability discrimination.
- Assisting Aldi Stores Limited with all employment law considerations relating to its workforce of approximately 30,000 people.
Gateley Plc advises large corporates and senior executives on the full range of employment law matters. Core areas of expertise include TUPE, trade union and working time issues, equal pay, hiring and firing of senior executives and litigation. The team, which is led by Andrew Macmillan, also possesses notable experience of advising on the employment aspects of corporate transactions, insolvencies and restructurings.
‘The team is reliable and quick to respond to employment law queries‘
‘Andrew Macmillan is an outstanding lawyer with a real commitment to client services. He combines a good knowledge of the law with exceptional negotiating skills‘
‘The firm demonstrates excellence in interacting with clients‘
‘They provide consistently good advice – excellent legal knowledge coupled with practical application of that advice‘
ACAS East Midlands Region
Bibby Financial Services
Lowe Alpine Rab
National Veterinary Services
Nottingham Building Society
Safran Landing Systems
Samworth Brothers Limited
The English Football League
Watches of Switzerland
- Assisting Deloitte’s restructuring services team with the employment law aspects of various high-profile insolvencies.
- Advising a client on an age discrimination matter.
- Assisting a Premier League football club with the design and delivery of training for line managers on the employment law aspects of people management.
- Representing Sevacare in a TUPE-related claim involving 43 claimants and 8 respondents.
Howes Percival LLP’s core strengths lie in handling employment aspects of high-value corporate acquisitions, disposals and restructuring projects. Practice head Paula Bailey is an expert in TUPE projects and the negotiation of senior exits, while Graham Irons is particularly recommended for his Employment Tribunal advocacy. The team's sector expertise includes the automotive, food and drink, manufacturing and education industries. Gurdeep Boparai recently joined from Weightmans LLP.
Other key lawyers:
Alex Payton; Graham Irons
Children’s Investment Fund Foundation
Bosch Siemens Home Appliances
Welcome Break Group Limited
Getronics Services UK Limited
Nampak Plastics Europe Limited
Milton Keynes College
World Vision UK
University of Northampton’s Student Union
Hillarys Blinds Limited
RS Components Limitd / Electrocomponents plc
- Advised the shareholders of Fen Technology Holdings on the employment aspects of the sale of the company to Inspiralia, a Spanish technology company.
The ‘pragmatic and commercially focused’ team at Shoosmiths LLP is led by Helen Burgess, who has experience of TUPE and union issues, and also whistleblowing and dismissal matters. Her team is also active in business-critical outsourcings and restructures, complex grievances and other employee relations matters. Michael Briggs specialises in defending Employment Tribunal claims and is noted for his ‘business understanding’. Rachel Harvey, a new arrival from Shakespeare Martineau LLP, has bolstered the team with her knowledge of corporate immigration and Brexit planning. Associate Charlotte Staples is 'friendly, polite, precise and extremely professional'.
‘Their emphasis is on resolving issues in a practical way as speedily as possible within the framework of what the law allows‘.
‘They are approachable, down to earth and combine professionalism with the building of personal relationships’.
ATS Euromaster Limited
Techtronic Industries Limited
John Deere Limited
Caversham Finance (t/a BrightHouse)
Deb Group Limited
SC Johnson Professional Limited
Nottingham City Homes
Boots Management Services Limited
Saint-Gobain Group of Companies
Porterbrook Leasing Company Limited
Colour Hive Limited
Plant Lipids UK Limited
Bedrock Capital Limited
- Advising ATS Euromaster on commercial considerations associated with the transfer of staff following the client’s merger with Tructyre Fleet.
- Successfully defended Boots Management Services in Employment Tribunal proceedings brought by a former employee on the grounds of gross misconduct and health and safety reasons.
- Assisted Saint-Gobain group of companies with an extensive audit, review and analysis of all existing HR-related data protection documentation and processes within the client’s group of companies.
Industry expertise at Browne Jacobson LLP encompasses the commercial, education, public, health and insurance sectors. Peter Jones heads up the firm’s national employment team, and his strengths include employee termination, grievances, contentious employment issues and trade union matters. Nottingham practice head Sarah Hooton has expertise in complex tribunal claims, namely discrimination cases and transactions involving TUPE.
Peter Jones and Sarah Hooton
Oclaro Technology Limited
Bureau Veritas UK Limited
Freshtime UK Limited
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
Wolverhampton City Council
East Midlands Ambulance NHS Trust
TT Electronics Plc
- Advised the senior executives of a leading UK engineering company on employment issues associated with their departures from the company, which included negotiating settlement agreements.
- Advising a local authority client on the TUPE implications of outsourcing leisure services to a wholly-owned local authority trading company.
- Providing strategic advice to a significant commercial organisation on its workforce options following a reduction in turnover.
Lawyers at Hewitsons are noted for their ‘quick’ and ‘approachable’ service. Key strengths include TUPE, terminations and employment clauses, business immigration, discrimination and whistleblowing matters, as well as tribunal claims. The team's recent work also included employment support on various mergers and acquisitions. Headed up by Nick Hall, the group has specific sector expertise of the construction industry and also represents a significant number of clients in the education, trading charity and sports sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Lynne Adams; Gemma Hill;
‘Lynne Adams works with both empathy and great professionalism. She puts great thought into the situation’.
‘The team brings a personal dimension to relationships with its clients, which is missing in this day and age‘
Travis Perkins PLC and its subsidiaries
Perrys Motor Sales Limited
Medigold Health Consultancy Limited
Barings UK Limited
The Stephen Perse Foundation
Telford Holmes PLC
Royce Lingerie Limited
- Acted on the employment aspects of the sale by Perrys Motor Sales Limited of its Fiat, Mazda and Peugeot dealership in Portsmouth to Snows Motor Group.
- Advised The Stephen Perse Foundation on the employment aspects of its merger with Cambridge Centre for Sixth-Form Studies.
- Acted for an Olympic sports organisation, defending claims issues against it in an Employment Tribunal
- Acted for an independent school, defending claims issues against it in an Employment Tribunal.
Shakespeare Martineau LLP’s ‘highly knowledgeable’ practice is well-regarded for the ‘speed and practicality’ of its advice. Undertaking advisory and contentious matters alike, it is particularly well-known for handling whistleblowing and discrimination cases at the Employment Tribunal, and also acting on the employment-related aspects of corporate and commercial transactions. The 'calm and practical' Philip Pepper leads the practice and provides expert knowledge of the food and drinks sector. Legal director Sandeep Leighs, who is 'reliable and approachable', is also a key member of the team.
Other key lawyers:
‘They provide speedy responses and clear guidance with a cheerful and positive approach‘.
‘The quality, depth and breadth of the employment advice is impressive‘.
‘The group comprises of very experienced, very knowledgeable and yet very human solicitors‘.
Iceland Foods Limited
The Chartered Institute of Marketing
Sheffield & Hallamshire County Football Association
Toyota Materials Handling (UK)
Everards Brewery Limited
Pall-Ex UK Limited
Langerine Confectionery Limited
Commonwealth Games England
Linbrooke Services Limited
Premier Tech Chronos
Greenwood Academies Trust
Fisher German Limited
Becketts Foods Limited
Whitworth Bros. Limited
Ford & Slater Limited
The Bridge (East Midlands)
Leicestershire Action For Mental Health Project
Shield Engineering (Syston) Limited
Carrs Flour Mills Limited
- Defending Iceland Foods against unfair dismissal claims.
- Retained by West Coast Trains Ltd t/a Virgin Trains to provide strategic employment advice and to defend all Employment Tribunal claims.
- Retained by Global-e to provide strategic employment advice and support to the global head of legal, the Global HR Director and the European CEO.
- Retained by The Pall-Ex Group to provide strategic employment advice and support and to defend all employment tribunal claims.
- Retained by Premier Tech Chronos (UK) Limited to provide strategic employment advice.
Lawyers at Wilkin Chapman LLP are lauded for their ‘excellent expertise and support in employment law’. Acting for both public and private sector clients, the team advises numerous local authorities, educational establishments and health sector clients. It also generates work from companies in the food, logistics, warehousing and packaging industries. Practice head Teresa Thomas provides counsel on redundancy, restructuring and TUPE projects and also undertakes advocacy at the Employment Tribunal. Calum Hanrahan, who is a new arrival from Sills & Betteridge LLP, has expertise in business immigration. Elsewhere, the ‘outstanding’ Oliver Tasker recently made partner, while David Buckle retired.
Other key lawyers:
Katie Davies; Oliver Tasker
‘Personable and professional lawyers who deal with issues in good time‘
‘Very helpful, approachable, personable individuals‘
‘Always available and approachable with quick response times when needed‘
‘The team are responsive and informative regarding any type of query. They articulate the advice in an easy to understand format‘
‘Approachable and understanding of the complex issues surrounding employment and HR. Prepared to give time to listen‘
‘Teresa Thomas is great to work with. She is always easy to get hold of, very responsive and gives a really quick turnaround‘
‘Katie Davies is very approachable, nothing is too much trouble. She responds to all requests quickly and thoroughly‘
‘Katie Davies always goes the extra yard to ensure we have the advise needed and that we are aware all of the options available‘
Mizkan Euro Limited
Healing Multi Academy Trust
Fives Landis Limited
BLE Smoke & Fire Curtains
The St Lawrence Academy
Lindum Group Ltd
Lincolnshire Sports Partnership
Pilgrim Foodservice Ltd
Lincoln Anglican Academy Trust
Craven District Council
- Advising on Employment Tribunal claims by a Chief Executive and a Business Support Manager following allegations of sex discrimination based on their same sex relationship.
- Defending claims for unfair dismissal and race discrimination on the grounds of ethnic origin.
- Advising a client on a capability and grievance process, which also involved carrying out an independent investigation into the employee’s grievance.
- Strategic advice to a client on a major restructure and redundancy project.
- Advising a Multi Academy Trust on anonymous whistleblowing and major safeguarding issues.
The ‘exceptional’ Nic Elliott leads the team at Actons, which is noted for its ‘excellent client engagement’. Elliott predominantly handles large-scale investigations, such as those involving fraud, whistleblowing and harassment issues. Clients include several retail and leisure companies. James Symons, who joined from Freeths LLP, was recently promoted to director. Symons is experienced in tribunal matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very personalised in their advice, with sound understanding of the client’s business environment‘.
‘Excellent in their response times‘.
Gullivers Theme Parks
J Tomlinson Limited
The Rug Company
Iceland Foods Ltd
Nottingham City Transport
- Acting for Reflex Vehicle Hire Ltd on an unfair dismissal claim.
- Advised a leading listed UK automotive retailer on large scale changes to its staff terms and conditions and gender pay gap reporting.
- Advising a company on the potential breach of a settlement agreement entered into by the company with its former Managing Director upon his departure.
- Represented a retailer in a constructive dismissal claim and successfully resolved the case ahead of a hearing.
Flint Bishop LLP's practice head Rob Tice possesses notable expertise in acting for colleges, multi-academy trusts and other education sector clients. His team is particularly strong on employment tribunal matters, routinely handling discrimination and unfair dismissal cases, among others. It also advises on a range of non-contentious matters, including those involving TUPE and collective redundancies.
Ingram Micro (UK) Limited
Graphic Packaging Limited
Loomis UK Limited
Panasonic Europe Limited
Generation UK Limited (part of the Altrad Group)
Micronclean (Skegness) Limited
Weleda (UK) Limited
RTC Group PLC
Central Co-operative Learning Trust
The de Ferrers Trust
Bowmer & Kirkland Limited
Geldards LLP’s practice ‘combines the highest level of professional knowledge with friendly client communication’. Its team has vast experience of the employment tribunal and, on the non-contentious side, handles a wide range of non-contentious matters, such as exit packages, redundancy processes and TUPE. The education, transport, motoring, manufacturing, construction, technology and life sciences industries are all areas of expertise for the team. It also represents various religious organisations and public sector clients. Rhys Wyborn, who is ‘very knowledgeable and highly skilled’, jointly leads the group with Stephen Jenkins.
Rhys Wyborn and Stephen Jenkins
Other key lawyers:
‘Rhys Wyborn is very strong in providing advice and assistance in this way and in providing solutions for the long term benefit of the client’s business‘.
‘The level of his professional knowledge in all areas of employment law and litigation is absolutely outstanding‘.
‘They effortlessly ensure that you receive a very high level of care, service and professionalism from all levels‘.
‘The attention to the needs of the client and the effort put into the delivering the service is absolutely outstanding‘.
‘Rhys Wyborn is very professional and skilled at what he does. He also has a caring, considerate, supportive and conscientious approach and handles sensitive situations and issues very well‘.
M J Birtwistle Ltd
Healthwatch Derby Ltd
Brinsley Parish Council
Van Oord Offshore Wind UK Ltd
Nottingham Trent University
University of Leicester
Derby County Football Club
HAE Group Limited
Picsolve International Limited
V F Services UK Limited
Red Box Recorders Limited
ISS Labour Limited
League Against Cruel Sports
Camfaud Concrete Pumps Limited
Fermac Traffic Solutions Limited
Motion Picture Solutions Limited
BPR Medical Ltd
North Midland Construction Plc (nmcn)
- Advised Van Oord Offshore Wind UK Ltd on asset acquisition and TUPE transfer of numerous staff.
- Assisted Derby County Football Club with the renewal of Gary Rowett’s employment terms in January 2018, and then the subsequent departure of Gary Rowett and his back room team to Stoke City Football Club.
- Acted for Derby County Football Club on the recruitment of Frank Lampard as its new First Team Manager, and related terms and conditions.
- Acted for League Against Cruel Sports in Employment Tribunal case, which dealt with “ethical veganism” as an alleged philosophical belief.
Michael Cummins, Kimbra Welch and Andrew James Rowell are new arrivals to Knights PLC, following its acquisition of legacy firms Cummins Solicitors and Spearing Waite LLP. Welch advises on discrimination issues, grievances, disciplinary issues, severance packages and litigation. Like Welch, Cummins is also experienced in employment tribunals, and he also provides advice on TUPE, restrictive covenants and injunctions to prevent competitive activities. Policy advice is a focus for Rowell, namely the avoiding of potential claims and disputes. Clients include several education institutions as well as companies active in the financial and professional services, retail and manufacturing industries, among others.
Laura Kearsley, noted as 'extremely competent and professional', leads the practice at Nelsons Solicitors Limited. Acclaimed for her ‘thorough knowledge’, she is an experienced Employment Tribunal advocate who specialises in industrial relations and whistleblowing. Unfair dismissals and TUPE matters also form the recent caseload as do a number of sex, race and age discrimination claims. Laura Evans and Peter Nicholson recently joined the team, arriving from Your HR Lawyer and Spearing Waite respectively. Andy Jamieson retired.
Other key lawyers:
‘Nelsons has always been quick to understand our needs and provide clear guidance on the most practical approach to some of the employment related matters we face‘
‘Laura Evans is always very efficient, approachable and able to guide us with clear instruction‘
‘The employment department is very responsive, offering pragmatic legal solutions to some very complex issues‘
‘Amazing communication, very clear, concise and in terms that I understood. No jargon, or technical terms, just simple advice on the facts‘
‘Peter Nicholson has been a rock throughout the whole process. He provides clear advice and outlines strategies with all available options, and he also supplies back up information on his advice and why he has suggested what he did‘
‘Laura Kearsley is thorough and always on top of the case. She really goes the extra mile for the client‘
- Represented a client in an unfair dismissal and sex discrimination claim against a national transport company.
- Represented a client in employment tribunal proceedings brought by two family members in which they claimed unfair dismissal and race discrimination.
- Advised a client on serious whistleblowing concerns raised against a senior and long serving member of staff.
- Advised a client on a large scale restructure of production and engineering staff.
Chattertons is home to a ‘knowledgeable team’ of ‘involved lawyers’ who provide ‘prompt responses’. The education sector is a key specialism, with the group undertaking a broad range of mandates, including business reorganisations, disciplinary and grievance matters, employment contracts and dismissals. Practice head Danielle Lister is recommended for discrimination and unfair dismissal claims, as well as collective redundancies and day-to-day HR support.
Other key lawyers:
‘Grant Shackleston is always on hand with impartial advice on the best route forward both legally and from a business perspective‘.
‘Extremely upfront about work and cost involved, delivers prompt responses and has a very friendly and knowledgeable team‘
- Advised an employer client on options to avoid a redundancy situation amid challenging trading conditions.
- Advised an employer client on issues surrounding a senior employee on maternity leave and her return to work, where the employee wished to change terms and conditions but the business could not accommodate the employee’s request for business reasons.
- Defending an employer client in an unfair dismissal claim against former Financial Controller.
- Advised employer client on the employment aspects of the sale of the business (assets) including the transfer of all employees in the business.
Langleys Solicitors LLP advises employers and employees alike on the full spectrum of employment-related matters. Core strengths include tribunal claims, executive terminations and employment issues on business transfers and strategic projects. Kate Hindmarch heads up the team, which is particularly noted for representing a number of clients in the education sector; it has a notably strong track record of acting for local academies.
Priory Federation of Academies Trust
R.H.Smith & Sons Ltd
Lincolnshire Action Trust
Damons Restaurant (UK) Ltd
Long Clawson Dairy Ltd
Thames Ambulance Service Limited
- Successfully defended McConnells Electrical against a claim of constructive dismissal by a former director.
- Assisted a property management group with a grievance appeal by a company director.
- Advised a Multi-Academy Trust on a restructure and changes to terms and conditions of employment.
- Successfully defended AAR International against a breach of contract claim made in the Employment Tribunal.
Lawyers at employment boutique Premier Legal LLP are ‘responsive, efficient and extremely knowledgeable’. The 'professional and intelligent' Sarah Robinson provides 'decisive advice' and specialist knowledge of industries, including insurance and financial services, corporate finance, technology, legal services, automotive, media and the public sector. Employment Tribunal matters are a particular strength, as are TUPE, restructures and insolvency, restrictive covenants and HR policies.
Other key lawyers:
‘Always helpful and prompt replies to all queries‘.
‘Adrian Barnes is highly knowledgeable and always on hand to provide consistent, reassuring advice in a patient yet direct tone‘.
‘Adrian Barnes is extremely professional and easy to work with‘.
Milltek Sport Ltd
Salop Sand and Gravel Group x 5
The Mortar & Screed Co Ltd.
Elite MI Ltd
Francis Wilks & Jones
Kings Carpets & Interiors
Premier Electrical Services Ltd
Daten Capital LLP
Hello Telecom UK Ltd.
Pretty Windows Ltd
Nicholls Brimble Bhol Solicitors
Tarry Boutique Hotels
- Advised a client on a restructure, which involved redundancies. The scope of the work included advice on consultation and selection process, redundancy payments and appeals.
- The firm is assisting Daten Capital with the provision of contracts handbook, and also advice on employing in UK and Spain and employment of foreign nationals
- The firm provides ongoing support to Milltek Sport Ltd on the reorganisation of the team, specifically in the manufacturing departments, as well as advising on issues around restrictive covenants concerning a new staff member.
- Provision of staff contracts and handbook and advice on TUPE during acquisition of franchises.
- The firm is advising a jewellery business on the implications of GDPR, drafting its contractual documentation, employment policies and procedures and updating terms and conditions, in addition to general HR support and advice.
Reyhana Koser is a new name at Smith Partnership, having recently joined the firm from Alsters Kelley LLP. She brings expertise in Employment Tribunal matters, with experience of representing employers and employees alike. The practice is headed by James Johnson, who advises a number of educational establishments, sports clubs and healthcare clients. In addition to contentious matters, the team handles senior executive exits, TUPE and settlement agreements.
‘James Johnson always provides professional guidance and support. His sound legal knowledge provides the level of confidence we require when making critical business decisions‘
Burton Albion Football Club
Toyota Tsusho Group
IVC Brunel Healthcare Manufacturing Limited
ATL Transport & Logistics
Abbots Bromley School
Derby Manufacturing University Technical College
Comex 2000 (UK) Limited
- Advice to a client on changing the terms and conditions of over 200 employees.