Personal tax, trusts and probate: Peterborough in East Anglia
The practice at Buckles Solicitors LLP advises on wealth protection, tax planning and wills, succession planning, setting up charitable trusts, lasting powers of attorney, probate, care home fees and Court of Protection matters. Stephen Duffy is the key partner in Peterborough, though partners Duncan Jackson and Karl Dembicki, who is especially recommended for advising elderly clients, work in both the Peterborough and London offices. Head of the firm's international desk Alejandro Verdu de Haro also works on multimillion-pound cross-border estates.
Other key lawyers:
“The team has specialists in a number of fields and from my experience they work well together.”
“Sallyann Short is always ready to see clients and very easily deals with them at their level. They have always been impressed by her readiness to see them at home if they are unable to easily get to the office.”
“I was impressed by the courtesy and efficiency of Suzanne Evans. She was obviously well-informed and a caring person. I found her to be professional and efficient.”
Department head Kerri Pellington-Woodrow at Greenwoods GRM has built the firm's referral network of local accountants and IFAs, resulting in a busy 2018 for the practice, which now calls on additional expertise from the London office created through that year's merger. One client describes her as 'an efficient and strong communicator with a very good client manner'. She frequently handles complex matters, including for international clients requiring advice on domicile and UK tax issues. She recently handled a challenging matter involving proving a French holographic will in the UK probate registry.
Other key lawyers:
- Advising a Saudi Arabian based family to create trusts to hold interests in two London residential properties, with a value of £7.5m.
- Advising a Thailand based client with £2m of worldwide assets on his potential UK inheritance tax liability.
- Preparing a deed to create a charitable trust to provide counselling, education and support for those suffering from gender dysphoria.
- The administration of the estate of a French national who died in the UK, which involved issues of domicile as well as proving a French will in the UK probate registry.
- Instructed by executors to deal with the administration of the estate of a deceased farmer with a value of £2m.
Hunt & Coombs LLP
The practice at Hunt & Coombs LLP excels in tax planning and will preparation for high-net-worth individuals and families, as well as winding up estates of all sizes and degrees of complexity. The firm regularly deals with estates with a value in excess of £1.5m. Henry Anstey is the lead partner in Peterborough and he has more than 25 years' experience in this area of law. His recent work includes the development of strategies to fund care home fees and obtaining NHS Continuing Care for elderly clients. One client remarks that he is is 'extremely good at explaining difficult subjects to clients in straightforward language'.
Other key lawyers:
John Wright; Andrea Harrod
“The team is a joy to work with as it is both friendly and helpful. Most importantly the level of genuine expertise within the team is incredible.”
“They are truly interested in the needs and wants of the client. The staff often go that extra mile on behalf of those clients who need it.”
“Henry Anstey is a truly professional and knowledgeable solicitor who has the uncanny ability to explain complex ideas in a manner which is intelligible to all.”
“Henry Anstey has a warmth of character which is infectious and clients only have praise for what he does to make sure their wishes are met.”
“Andrea Harrod is the future of Hunt & Coombs and it is safe to say the firm will be in good hands. She is an engaging character with whom clients find it easy to work.”
- Acting for a £12m estate following the early death of a director and significant shareholder of a private company.
- Dealing with an estate where children are in three different jurisdictions and assets are in multiple jurisdictions.
- Acting as attorney with two lay clients, adult safeguarding issued.
- Wills and tax planning for husband and wife with large estate.
- Wills and tax planning for unmarried couple with a sizeable estate including business assets.