Crime: fraud in East Anglia
Birketts LLP has a highly experienced senior team that focuses on regulatory matters and the defence of fraud cases. Barrister Laura Thomas leads the firm's regulatory and corporate defence practice and focuses predominantly on financial crime. Fellow barrister Matthew Gowen has more than 20 years' experience at the criminal Bar and he frequently represents clients at the Crown Court. Senior associates Philippa Dyer, who leads the firm's dawn raids practice, and Julie Gowland are ones to watch.
Matthew Gowen acted in court for us and got us the result. Without his expert knowledge, we may not have been successful.”
Muntons Malts PLC
Killik & Co
- Advised the company in relation to duress from third parties to ensure that it complied with the precedent and duties to protect customers as required by the FCA.
- Settlement negotiations with HMRC for a client accused of fraudulent malpractice.
- Advised a client in relation to a prosecution by Trading Standards and the application to dismiss in the Crown Court was successful.
- Advised a client in relation to alleged fraudulent trading of an investment brokerage.
The crime and business defence practice at Fosters in Norwich frequently handles high-profile cases. Last year, these included matters relating to cryptocurrency fraud and banking fraud alongside a steady flow of Trading Standards and VAT cases. The 'down-to-earth, practical but sensitive' Chris Brown and higher court advocate Damien Moore, who frequently appears before the Crown Courts, lead the practice.
Chris Brown; Damien Moore
“The team was responsive and supported me when I needed it.”
“Chris Brown listened and asked appropriate questions. He made it clear he was there to support me throughout what was an horrendous ordeal. His experience was invaluable, especially for someone who had never been subject to any kind of legal investigation.”
“I was assured and immediately felt I was in safe hands. The pressure of the investigation was removed and whilst Chris Brown couldn’t take away my anxiety he did his level best!”
- Advising a company director in criminal proceedings and thereafter in subsequent POCA proceedings in excess of £600,000.
- Advising a financial advisor from a large financial institution regarding fraud by misrepresentation and theft exceeding £500,000.
- Advising the former Talk Talk hacker in matters of domestic and international cryptocurrency fraud and matters of international extradition.
- Advising thr finance director of a large publicly funded Government department regarding matters of fraud.
Hunt & Coombs LLP in Peterborough has a large team of specialist crime lawyers. Andrew Cave and Simon Milburn lead the practice, which handles complex fraud and corporate defence work. Its recent caseload includes matter relating to boiler room fraud, money laundering and fraud by abuse of position. The practice is supported by highly respected criminal law clerk Glenda Hair, who has more than 40 years’ experience in the courts, and barrister Mauro Maselli.
Simon Milburn; Andrew Cave
“Hunt & Coombs is one of the leading firms in the Peterborough/Cambridge area and deservedly so. The team is incredibly dedicated, hardworking and creates a positive bridge between lay clients and counsel through their sound judgment and pragmatic approach to cases.”
“They garner a large amount of repeat custom and have a loyal client base which speaks volumes about the quality of service they provide.”
“Glenda Hair, the Criminal Law Clerk at Hunt and Coomb is fantastic. She is well known and liked by the list offices, CPS and judiciary on the Cambridge/Peterborough circuit and able to ease the burdens on counsel and the court through administrative resolution of problems at an early stage.”
“Glenda Hair is meticulous in her case preparation and turns round requests for counsel with an impressive speed. She is well respected by clients.”
“The team is unique for the thorough and personalised service it offers to defendants. They are always on top of the cases and all the required deadlines.”
“Simon Milburn and Glenda Hair are a formidable team. “Simon gives pragmatic but robust advice to the clients. Glenda looks after the cases day to day, making sure that what is needed for the clients gets done.”
“Glenda Hair seems to practically run the Crown courts in the area and can sort out listing and other procedural problems pretty much at will.”
“The firm offers tremendous value to the clients, and great reassurance to the counsel they instruct that the best is being done for the lay clients.”
“It is very rare to find firms doing legal aid crime that manage to devote so much time to their cases. Glenda Hair comes to court with the clients and counsel as much as she can – an almost unheard to feel of service these days.”
“One of the finest practices based outside London. Down through the years their client care never ceases to impress. They are high calibre lawyers with a thorough and intelligent approach.”
“They are highly respected in the field and their reputation is richly deserved. Their work ethic is consistent regardless the case.”
Specialist criminal law firm Belmores is regarded as one of the leading practices in Norwich, though its workload sees it act for clients across the UK. Dave Foulkes is the key partner for fraud cases, working closely with Simon Nicholls, and the firm handles both private and Legal Aid matters. Foulkes track record includes a case arising from Norfolk Police’s Operation Gravity, which centred on an £835,000 fraud by companies selling time-share properties.
Other key lawyers:
Gotelee Solicitors has a criminal law practice led by veteran partner Hugh Rowland, who has been with the firm for 30 years and focuses on business crime, fraud, regulatory matters, Trading Standards cases, health and safety, and planning matters. Howard Catherall is the key partner for Trading Standards and HMRC investigations into the importation of goods from outside the EU.
Other key lawyers:
- Acting in the Crown Court for the estranged wife of a convicted fraudster in connection with her application for a share in his substantial assets subject to confiscation.
Metcalfe, Copeman & Pettefar
Metcalfe, Copeman & Pettefar's King's Lynn office is home to a highly regarded criminal law practice that has a team of police station representatives as well as specialists in areas such as benefit fraud. Duty solicitor Charlotte Winchester has 14 years' experience dealing mainly with benefit fraud cases. Duty solicitor Nigel Taylor has more than 20 years' experience and handles complex fraud cases as part of his broader practice. Solicitor Ruth Johnson and legal executive Lisa Cross also act in fraud cases.
- Representing a former solicitor charged with defrauding a number of clients of more than a million pounds.
- Successfully representing a client in a large tax fraud case.
- Representing a client charged with ticket touting fraud with several hundred victims.