EU and competition in Denmark
Accura Advokatpartnerselskab stands out for its public procurement knowledge and regularly handles tender agreements; the team also advises on contentious and non-contentious competition matters. Practice leader Jesper Fabricius heads up the group and has experience in merger control issues, market dominance work and anti-competitive agreement litigation, while Christina Heiberg-Grevy acts on a range of competition and public procurement law issues including transactions where filings to domestic and EU authorities are required. Clients regularly stem from the consumer goods, media, engineering and logistics industries. Laurits Schmidt Christensen has merger control expertise.
Accura’s team is strong in delivering to-the-point legal advice. They don’t waste time on non-important or hypothetical issues, but concentrate on the matters that make a difference and are able to shift focus when needed. In addition, the team combines good economic knowledge with an excellent understanding of when it is beneficial to the client to add external economists to the team. This enables the team to deliver an efficient combination of legal and economic arguments.
Professionally strong and responsive team with thorough knowledge within their field. I always feel that I am in capable and solution-oriented hands and that I receive commercially sound advice.
Light-footed and pragmatic – excellent understanding of the business
Understands quickly what is at stake in the case as a basis for strategic and tactical input, which is very valuable for in-house lawyers’ decisions and decision-making processes. Happy to give my best recommendations
I have worked with all three partners, i.e. Jesper Fabricius, Christina Heiberg-Grevy and Laurits Schmidt Christensen. Jesper Fabricius has a broad knowledge of competition issues and has a very assertive personality. Christina Heiberg-Grevy is very thorough in her work and always has an eye on what arguments are most efficient given the specific circumstances. Laurits Schmidt Christensen has a very trustworthy personality which in combination with solid knowledge makes him a very strong lawyer.
Christina Heiberg-Grevy understands the business and pragmatic approach. She is also proactive and informed of new developments relevant to us, so we can consider that in our M&A strategy and identification of acquisition targets
Leo Pharma A/S
Municipality of Middelfart
Johnson & Johnson
- Assisted the Port of Frederikshavn with a number of public tender processes and public-private contractual matters related to the expansion of the Port of Frederikshavn.
- Advised Tryg Insurance on its €1.2bn acquisition of Alka Insurance and the related competition issues involving Danish Competition and Consumer Authority.
- Representing Eurostar Danmark in a case in Denmark concerning the legality of a consortium formed by two competitors for the purpose of submitting a joint bid on the Danish Road Directorate’s re-tender for road marking services between 2014-2017.
With experience in contentious and non-contentious matters, Bech-Bruun's practice handles EU and competition, public procurement and state aid mandates for a client roster of contracting authorities, corporations and utility companies. Recent work for contracting authorities includes advising on the obligation to tender, the development of tender strategies, drafting tender material and contracts and implementing tenders; the group also advises businesses participating in tender processes on compliance with suitability requirements and the conformity and optimisation of tender bids. Group head Peter Stig Jakobsen primarily represents clients in cases before the European and Danish courts. Michael Honoré departed to establish Michael Honoré Advokatfirma in early 2019.
Peter Stig Jakobsen
Other key lawyers:
Anne Bergholt Sommer; Jesper Kaltoft; Anders Birkelund Nielsen; Simon Evers Hjelmborg
Very skilled and commercially orientated. Got to great lengths to understand our business and provide excellent advice that suites our needs
The Boeing Company
CPH City & Port Development
City of Copenhagen and CLEAN
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark
Nordic Entertainment Group
Procter & Gamble
Modern Times Group
- Assisted CPH City & Port Development with a DKK1.1bn urban development project.
- Assisting the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark with contracts relating to the implementation of the Danish development cooperation.
- Advising the City of Copenhagen and the non-profit clean-tech cluster Clean on a procurement procedure involving contracting authorities covering more than 40 municipalities.
Bruun & Hjejle's client list of publicly owned and regulated companies are advised by the practice on competition and state aid regulations, and represented before Danish Courts, the General Court and the European Court of Justice in a range of contentious issues including abuse of dominance cases. The team is particularly noted for its merger control expertise and knowledge of the media, transport, energy, retail and agricultural sectors. Practice head Olaf Koktvedgaard focuses on the energy, media, transport and pharmaceuticals industries, while Frederik André Bork regularly handles competition-related M&A work, and Søren Zinck is 'a highly valued, thorough and experienced competition lawyer that always provides hands-on assistance'.
Olaf Koktvedgaard has a rare ability to approach a challenge with novel ideas and often rendering optimal results. Excellent ability to focus on obtaining the goat at hand based on profound experience and keen business understanding
First-rate knowledge of Danish antitrust law. Keen intellect. Thoughtful about commercial objectives. Marvellous grasp of strategy
Very approachable, skilful, service minded and responsive team
The firm has a very high degree of professionalism. Their advice is to the point and, furthermore, they deliver in a timely manner and are easily accessible
Søren Zinck is a highly valued, thorough and experienced competition lawyer that always provides hands on assistance
Søren Zinck is my key point of contact. Besides being very pleasant to work with, he is a highly capable competition lawyer. He has a good understanding of all aspects of competition law and is able to provide precise and usable advice. Moreover, he is easily accessible and able to provide his advice at short notice
CD Pharma AB
HMN Naturgas I/S
FIH Holding and FIH Erhvervsbank
Danish Pig Genetics
Clear Channel International and Clear Channel Danmark
GSV Materieludlejning A/S
Arbejdsmarkedets Tillægspension and Danica Ejendomsselskab ApS
Danske Bank A/S
FDO (Danish Central Oil Stockholding Entity)
- Representing CD Pharma in a case pending before the Danish Maritime and Commercial High Court concerning alleged excessive pricing for the drug Syntocinon, which is given to pregnant women during childbirth.
- Representing HMN Naturgas in a case concerning alleged coordination of subscription prices for the servicing of natural gas boilers to end-users.
- Acting for TV2/Danmark in two follow-on proceedings before the Danish High Court filed by Viasat and Discovery.
Gorrissen Federspiel has substantial expertise in merger control work and advocacy before EU authorities, and also represents clients in competition litigation and public procurement disputes. The practice has a particular specialism in maritime competition law and assists shipping companies with the assessment of pool cooperation, vessel sharing arrangements and merger control work. Practice co-head Martin André Dittmer also advises competing banks on the provision of joint financial services, and co-head Erik Kjær-Hansen assists with state aid mandates. Senior legal counsel Kristian Helge Andersen is also recommended.
Martin André Dittmer; Erik Kjær-Hansen
Service minded, responsive and best team in class competition law
Martin Dittmer stands out as a leading competition law practitioner in Denmark. Erik Kjær-Hansen is great at dealing with even the most complex matters
Erik Kjær-Hansen is very practical and solution-oriented
Bang & Olufsen
- Advising a group of banks on creating a payment infrastructure joint venture.
- Advising a group of banks in creating a know-your-customer joint venture.
- Assisted the sellers of ALKA with its DKK8bn sale to competitor Tryg, which involved economic analyses by the Danish Competition and Consumer Authority.
The practice at Horten is experienced in advising private, public and semi-public enterprises on state aid, public procurement, EU regulatory and contentious matters across the construction, healthcare, transport, energy and utilities sectors. The group also prepares and carries out tender procedures and handles complaints before the Danish Complaints Board for Public Procurement. Andreas Christensen is the practice head.
Other key lawyers:
Annelouise Dalgaard Pedersen; Peter Gregersen
Very competent team with members who have experience at the Danish Competition Authority
Excellent knowledge of the law
MAN Truck & Bus AG
Birkenstock GmbH & Co. KG Services
Pierre Fabre Dermo-Cosmétique Nordic A/S
The City of Copenhagen
MLDK – Mærkevareleverandørerne
NGF Nature Energy Holding A/S
OneCo Elektro AS.
ResMed Maribo A/S
- Advising OneCo Elektro with a Danish tender procedure for the delivery, coordination and installation of remotely-read electricity, water and heat metres.
- Advising Circle K on Danish competition matters including distribution contracts and procurement law issues relating to bids on public tenders.
- Advised the City of Copenhagen on the bidding process for the Tour de France 2021 and the following negotiation of agreements including state aid and public procurement issues.
The team at Kromann Reumert exclusively handles competition work and has substantial expertise in merger control issues. The practice is also involved in international cartel cases, damages litigation and contentious merger cases, and represents clients in criminal liability claims; the group also assists with procedures for handling and reviewing data in cooperation with the Danish Competition and Consumer Authority and the State Prosecutor's Office, as well as developing leniency procedures. Jens Munk Plum acts in state aid investigations for state aid beneficiaries in the energy, agriculture and finance sectors.
Jens Munk Plum
Other key lawyers:
Erik Bertelsen; Morten Kofmann; Bart Creve
Kroman Reumert is outstanding within competition law and is highly appreciated for its high-quality work
I value the firm’s ability to assign the right person for the matter, both in the beginning but also during the course of a matter. The team delivers situation-specific and customer-tailored output. Kromann Reumert is very skilled in identifying the client’s needs and deliver adequate advice.
In my opinion the best competition law practice in Denmark
Solid real-world hands-on experience
They are very knowledgeable of the law and risks that companies are exposed to in this area, but also of the institutions and proceedings where these matters are assessed or disputed
Jens Munk Plum is a very good listener and provides very strategic advice. He is available, approachable and very experienced with regard to the issues we retain him for. Jens Munk Plum proactively identifies how and in what form he and his firm can support us as a client
- Represented Widex in merger control proceedings arising from its joint venture with Sivantos.
- Assisted TDC with the now abandoned proposed vertical merger with entertainment and content provider Modern Times Group in what would have become the first European vertical merger integrating telecoms and content providers.
- Secured unconditional phase II merger clearance of Danica Pension’s acquisition of SEB Pension.
The practice at NJORD Law Firm is a key name for rebate schemes, marketing campaigns, franchise and wholesaler agreements as well as selective distribution issues and also provides regulatory advice concerning EU and domestic competition law. Other areas of expertise encompass vertical agreements as well as market dominance work and issues arising from aggressive competitors. Practice head Thomas Rhyl has experience litigating pharmaceuticals, competition, and public procurement cases.
Smith & Nephew
- Representing Ferring Pharmaceuticals in litigation arising from the interpretation across Europe of the new rules on anti-tampering devices for medicine.
- Acting for Ferring Lægemidler in a case concerning The Danish Health and Medicines Authority’s licence allowing the national use of a non-approved medicament, in violation of the Medicinal Products Directive Article 5.
- Assisting Forenede Service with the assessment of tender materials and the submission of its final bid.
Plesner represents its clients in investigations and litigation involving abuse of dominance issues, and also assists with negotiations with the EU and Danish competition authorities on settlement procedures and leniency programmes. Christian Karhula Lauridsen and practice head Daniel Barry primarily focus on competition litigation including cartel and abuse cases and follow-on damages claims, while Rie Paving Mortensen’s competition experience spans merger control and cross-border cartel matters involving the abuse of dominant market positions. Gitte Holtsø is also a key name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Among the best competition law practices in Denmark with great all-round experience regarding competition law matters
Ernst & Young
The Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Culture
Sund & Bælt Holding, including Storebælt and Fehmarn Landanlæg
- Representing Ørsted in complex cases regarding the alleged excessive pricing in the electricity spot market in Western Denmark by the former electricity company Elsam.
- Represented Ernst & Young in a gun jumping case.
- Advised GlobalConnect on the competition aspects of its acquisition of broadband provider Nianet.
Bird & Bird Advokatpartnerselskab is a key name for competition, EU law and public procurement advice; its competition expertise includes merger control issues, while its procurement experience encompasses all elements of tender processes. The practice also assists with contract management issues including contentious work. Peter Dann Jørgensen and Morten Nissen jointly lead the practice and regularly advise clients in the technology, energy, transport and financial sectors.
Peter Dann Jørgensen; Morten Nissen
Other key lawyers:
Mikkel Taanum; Thomas Thorup Larsen
Due to the international presence of Bird & Bird the Danish office offers a bigger platform compared to other Danish firms
Morten Nissen is a creative competition lawyer
Morten is among the most progressive competition lawyers in Denmark
The Ministry of Taxation
Gate 21, The Municipalities of Copenhagen, Oslo and Stockholm
The Municipality of Odense
The Municipality of Aalborg
Aalborg Forsyning A/S
Trafik-, Bygge- og Boligstyrelsen
- Advising Mastercard on the Danish aspects of it’s acquisition of Betalingsservice, which includes the assessment of competition law issues related to payment card systems in Denmark.
- Assisting IBM with the merger control and antitrust aspects of its acquisition of JN Data.
- Acting for Flixbus in an abuse of dominance complaint against the ferry company Molslinjen.
The practice at DLA Piper Denmark regularly helps clients comply with competition regulations and also assists with the drafting and negotiation of joint venture agreements and acts in contentious matters including cartel investigations. Practice head Michael Klöcker specialises in anti-competitive agreements, abuse of dominance issues and merger control work. Clients regularly stem from the retail, IT, media, construction and automotive sectors; the team also counts public institutions on its client roster.
Other key lawyers:
As a public authority we have used DLA Piper as legal advisor for an EU tender of a framework agreement. All advice has been carried out to our full satisfaction. Complications in the evaluation process was handled efficiently and well by our advisor and our framework agreement is now running smoothly
DLA Piper Denmark is a team with high capabilities in EU-competition law. The different members of the team are able to solve very different tasks. The DLA Piper team is therefore able to offer qualified services across the whole range from urgent day-to-day tender tasks to difficult tender-problems
Copenhagen Airports A/S
JP Politikens Hus A/S
- Advised NEC on its €1bn acquisition of KMD.
- Acted for JP/Politikens Hus on its acquisition of Saxo.com.
- Assisted VIA Biler with its acquisition of competing dealer and repair shop Per B. Christensen & Co.
Lundgrens regularly handles state aid, competition and public procurement matters, and practice head Michael Alstrøm is a key contact for advice on complaint procedures including acting in proceedings before the Danish Complaints Board for Public Procurement. The practice also advises on EU regulations and public-private projects that involve public sales and innovation projects. The group's client roster encompasses companies in the welfare, technology, infrastructure, construction, IT and healthcare sectors.
Other key lawyers:
The public procurement team at Lundgrens is highly competent and easy to work with. As regards the material knowledge, I consider the team as one of the top procurement teams in Scandinavia. In my opinion the team’s strength lies in the extensive experience in public procurement matters in different areas as well as deep knowledge regarding related areas of law, together with effective communication and a practical approach
The Amager Bakke Foundation
The Government of Greenland
Skoda Transportation a.s.
Per Aarsleff A/S
The Region and Municipality of Bornholm
Factor Insurance Brokers A/S
Aarsleff Rail A/S
Bedre Bus Service ApS
ÅF Infrastructure Planning A/S
Solid Consult ApS
- Advised Skoda Transportation on a new DKK500m project relating to DSB Danish State Rail’s acquisition of new passenger coaches.
- Acted for Aarsleff Rail before the Danish Complaints Board for Public Procurement.
- Assisted Factor Insurance Brokers with the preparation and implementation of a DKK2.5bn public tender procedure.
Nielsen Nørager's department has experience in anti-dumping cases, anti-competitive behaviour issues and litigation arising from allegations of abuse of market dominance. Henrik Peytz and Lotte Hummelshøj jointly lead the practice, which advises on state aid cases, matters involving public regulations and tender processes including the preparation of tender materials and the evaluation of bids.
Henrik Peytz; Lotte Hummelshøj
Nielsen Nørager have a good team with broad legal competences and if specialists are needed they also have a good network
The team immediately focuses on the problem and asks good clarifying questions
They have very good knowledge within the legal field, they quickly understand the client content and are able to conform that into legal terms
At an individual level, the lawyers have a unique knowledge and ability to describe a problem. They provide service at a very high level
Egmont Group/Nordisk Film Biografer A/S
Lindø Port of Odense
The Danish Chamber of Commerce (DCC)
- Representing Discovery Networks Denmark in a €150m damages case against public broadcaster TV 2 Danmark regarding losses suffered due to the use of unlawful rebates.
- Acting for the European Commission in a number of pleadings before the Court of Justice of the European Union.
- Representing Bevola in pleadings before the Court of Justice of the European Union against the Danish Ministry of Taxation.
At Poul Schmith, Jacob Pinborg , Jens Bødtcher-Hansen and Rass Holdgaard jointly lead the department and regularly act for clients in the High Courts and the Supreme Court. The practice also regularly advises on the drafting and negotiation of public procurement contracts, state aid work, procurement matters, anti-competitive mandates and regulatory issues for a client roster of government ministries, municipalities and competition authorities.
Jacob Pinborg; Jens Bødtcher-Hansen; Rass Holdgaard
The team members have worked together for a long time, and, thus, know each other and each other’s strengths and blind spots. They have a lot of hands-on experience
Kammeradvokaten / Poul Schmith is representing the Danish state and has thereby deep insights into the governmental line of business
Highly skilled and able to integrate with other specialists. Professional and able to navigate areas of conflict and still create results
Danish Ministry of Culture
Danish Ministry of Transport, Building and Housing
Danish Veterinary and Food Administration
Danish Ministry of Defence
Danish Competition Council/Competition Appeals Tribunal
Danish Ministry of Defence – Radius
Danish Ministry of Taxation
Staten og Kommunernes Indkøbsservice A/S
Danish National Police
- Representing the Ministry of Culture in a DKK2.3bn state aid case pending before the Eastern High Court of Denmark.
- Advising the Danish Competition Council and the Competition Appeals Tribunal on a joint bidding by Eurostar and GVCO.
- Assisted The Ministry of Taxation with a formal investigation into the former Danish tax on saturated fat in certain food products.
Lassen Ricard's EU law and competition expertise in notably strong in the intellectual property, media and entertainment arenas, particularly in matters involving copyright issues. Other areas of expertise include handling the licensing of media rights to competitors and tax-related competition work. Team leader Henrik Schütze acts on contentious and non-contentious mandates for a client list including public service broadcasters and energy companies.
TV 2 Denmark
TV 2 Norway
VG Media rep. Sat1 and Pro7
- Representing commercial and public service broadcasters who are members of the UBOD, UBON, UBOS, UBOI and UBOE associations in negotiations and potential upcoming litigation against the collecting societies Koda and Gramex concerning equitable remuneration.
- Acting for a company leasing vehicles from a different EU country before the Court of Justice of the European Union relating to the registration tax on motor vehicles leased from another member state for temporary use.
The practice at Mazanti-Andersen Korsø Jensen acts for media and infrastructure companies and public institutions including hospitals, higher education facilities and government institutions on non-contentious mandates. The team also handles contentious competition work including anti-competitive behaviour issues including alleged price coordination matters and illegal state aid issues. Philip S. Thorsen leads the department.
Philip S. Thorsen
PUBLICURE Advokatfirma has expertise in matters which involve the intersection between procurement issues, utilities law, state aid work, competition law and environmental matters. Practice co-head Povl Nick Bronstein focuses on public procurement work, while fellow co-heads Peter Lund Meyer and Anders Nørgaard Jensen advise public authorities, institutions and enterprises on contract management issues, public tenders, control bids and public enterprise work.
Povl Nick Bronstein; Peter Lund Meyer; Anders Nørgaard Jensen
Extremely skilled team, that I rate above normal top-tier law firms in Copenhagen in this specific area
Publicure has a very competent team, which have a very good insight in our business and needs. Furthermore, I have a very strong professional relationship with Povl Nick Bronstein and Anders Nørgaard Jensen
Peter Lund Meyer stands out as a very sharp lawyer with profound knowledge within his area of expertise
I value their unique knowledge of our business, and quick understanding of our requirements
The Danish Cancer Society
G4S Security Services A/S
Vores Elnet A/S
Fælles Udbud Sjælland (‘FUS’)
The Municipality of Sønderborg
Elite Gaming A/S
The Municipality of Fredensborg
- Providing advice to Fælles Udbud Sjælland (FUS) on the procurement of ostomy medical devices.
- Assisting Vores Elnet with its public procurement of electricity meters.
- Acting for G4S Security Services on its bid for the Danish Prison and Probation Service’s procurement of a construction work contract for buildings relating to law and order and emergency services.
Skau Reipurth & Partnere is a key contact for companies needing assistance in the early stages of procurement and tender processes and also acts in litigation, particularly in cases before the Danish Complaints Board for Public Procurement. The firm’s expertise also encompasses the assessment of the obligations to tender, the exclusion and selection of businesses in tender processes and negotiations regarding competitive business procedures. Practice head Christian B. Prophet-Rannow handles control bids and assists with contentious tender procedures.
Christian B. Prophet-Rannow
Tolkegruppen Oversættergruppen P/S
A/S Julius Nielsen & Søn
Norwegian Institute for Water Research (NIVA)
G.V.L Entreprise A/S
Anker Hansen & Co A/S
Logos Design ApS
Servicefirmaet Renell A/S
Troels Jørgensen A/S
Skandinavisk Service Partner ApS
- Advising the Norwegian Institute for Water Research (NIVA) on legal matters under the Procurement Directive including an assessment of The Danish Environmental Protection Agency’s obligations under the procurement rules.
With a roster of public and private clients, Viltoft has substantial experience in the construction sector, and assists companies with domestic and EU procurement law matters including tender processes and contract drafting; the team has particular expertise in tender projects relating to public private partnerships and urban development projects. Eva Olesen was promoted to partner in mid-2019 and jointly leads the practice with Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen, who regularly represents clients in complaints procedures before the Danish Complaints Board for Public Procurement.
Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen; Eva Olesen
Outstanding knowledge of EU-procurement rules and the regulation of competition
Dedicated and very professional. They see contracts from a bigger perspective
Excellent in discussing strategy for cases before complaint boards and very good sparring partners when preparing tender documents
Always ready for advice
Høje-Taastrup C P/S
Gottlieb Paludan Architects
Municipality of Vordingborg
Municipality of Roskilde
- Advised Odense Letbane on all its procurement issues including a tender for the 15-year operation & maintenance contract following the tramway’s completion.
- Assisted Metroselskabet with tendering an 8-year operation and maintenance contract for the original two stages (lines) of the Copenhagen Metro.
- Advised Metroselskabet, the company in charge of the Copenhagen Metro, on Salini’s complaint to the Complaints Board for Public Procurement relating to the client’s award of the civil works contract for the southern extension of the Cityringen Metro in Copenhagen to a contractor consortium TUNN3L JV consisting of Hochtief and Vinci.