Guangzhou is the capital city of the Guangdong province and is a key cultural and economic hub in the South China region. The three key industries of Guangzhou are automobiles, electronics and petrochemicals, which contribute to approximately half of the city’s total GDP. Other key industries include wholesale and retail trade, finance and real estate. The city historically played a significant role in the maritime Silk Road and continues to serve as a major port and transportation hub. The city’s ideal location allows it to better connect mainland China with Hong Kong and Macau, as demonstrated with Guangzhou’s involvement in key initiatives such as the Belt and Road Initiative and the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macau Greater Bay Area plan.
Regional coverage: Guangdong Province: Guangzhou in China
ETR Law Firm
ETR Law Firm has an established presence in M&A, restructuring, financing and litigation. The firm advises a broad range of domestic companies in industries such as finance, construction, transport and technology. Zhang Xuefang is a key individual, who specializes in securitization and structure finance.
Guangzhou Metro Group Co., Ltd.
Guangzhou Weepal Software Co., Ltd.
Guangdong Giant Leap Construction Co., Ltd.
Guangdong Huamaoda Construction Group Co., Ltd.
Guangdong Zilaiwu Holding Co.,Ltd.
Guangdong QUNHAO Garments Co., Ltd.
Shenzhen Qianhai Gohedge Asset Management Company Limited
Guangzhou UartBaby Product Co.,Ltd.
Guangdong KODEST Environmental Technology Co., Ltd.
Guangdong Yuqi inspection and testing CO.,Ltd.
REGENT IP CORPORATION
Guangdong Sanxiang Intelligent Technology Co., Ltd.
- Advised Guangzhou Metro Group on green asset-backed securitization project.
- Advised Guangzhou Metro Investment Finance (BVI) Limited successfully on its issuing a $200 million Medium Term Note Programme as PRC counsel by the dealers.
- Advised Guangdong Giant Leap Construction Co., Ltd. successfully register RMB 3 billion yuan SCP on National Association of Financial Market Institution Investors.
JunHe has a broad client offering with particular expertise in high-profile IPOs and debt restructuring. Other key areas of strength include advising on foreign investment, M&A, real estate, finance and banking, dispute resolution and more. Pete Zhang is a key individual to note, who focuses on IPOs, M&A and restructuring. Catherine Miao and Ally Huang are also recommended.
Zhong Lun Law Firm
Zhong Lun Law Firm advise on a broad range of matters from capital markets and M&A, to real estate and litigation. Baisha Zhang is highly recommended and specialises in antitrust, M&A, litigation and arbitration. Wayne Wang, Jianqing Ding and senior associate Ningshan Fang are also noted.
Guangzhou Metro Group
- Advised Kangchen Pharmaceuticals on acquisition of certain calcium related drug assets of TL Pharma.
- Advised Jollychic on its series C+ equity financing of USD 65 million.
- Assisted SATS Ltd. with acquiring the controlling interests (by purchasing some existing shares and subscribing for some new shares) in Nanjing Weizhou Food Pty Ltd.
Wang Jing & Co displays a high level of expertise in the areas of maritime, admiralty and insurance. The practice regularly advises clients on other practice areas including finance, construction, offshore engineering, and dispute resolution. The firm is headquartered in Guangzhou and has branches in Shanghai, Tianjin, Qingdao, Xiamen, Shenzhen and Beijing. The team is now led by Xiangyong Chen following the departures of former managing partner Shuzhou Zhao and Jing Wang, but welcomed Jing Zhang, Changtao Zhang and senior associate Jia Song. Jun Wang and Cheng Zhong are also recommended.
North of England Marine Consultants (Shanghai) Ltd Co.
Steamship Mutual Management (Hong Kong) Limited
SKULD (FAR EAST) LIMITED
GARD (HK) Ltd
Japan P&I Club
Thomas Miller (Hong Kong) Limited
Forerunner Shipping, as agent of Farenco Shipping PTE LTD
Shanghai Zhenhua Heavy Industries Co., Ltd.
China Merchants Commerce Financial Leasing Co., Ltd.
Cosco Logistics Guangzhou
COSCO Shipping Bulk Co., Ltd.
Bank of Communications Co., Ltd., Hong Kong Branch
China Minsheng Banking Corp., Ltd., Hong Kong Branch
China National Offshore Oil Corporation
Korea P&I Club
4 Pump Court – Jeremy Nicholson QC
MSC MEDITERRANEAN SHIPPING COMPANY SA
GNG Ocean Shipping Co.,Ltd
CR Power Company Limited
Hapag-Lloyd Pte Ltd
Zhuoxin Law Firm
Zhuoxin Law Firm has a broad client offering and advises a range of clients from state-owned enterprises and private companies, to financial institutions and government authorities. Key areas of strength include securities, M&A, foreign investment and litigation. Managing partner James Chen and Kenda Pang are noted. Yi Zhang is also recommended.
- Represented Lianrou in patent invalidation and litigation.
- Represented Fekon in response to an infringement lawsuit and successfully invalidated the plaintiff’s patent.
- Assisted Jeffree Star, an American Internet celebrity, in successfully cracking down on trademark squatters.
Wang Jing & GH Law Firm
Wang Jing & GH Law Firm entered into the ranking following the arrival of the well regarded shipping practitioner Jing Wang who is now the managing partner of the firm, and Wilson Wang who also focuses on shipping matters; both joined from Wang Jing & Co. The team has notable expertise in the maritime, admiralty and insurance space as well as commercial litigation, and is also active in handling TMT, banking and finance, real estate and construction matters. Sam Huang, West Yao, Xiaoyan Ma and Liang Han are also names to note.
Shell Energy (China) Limited
China International Capital Corporation (Hong Kong) Limited (CICC HK)
Southwest Securities (HK) Brokerage Limited
Maersk (China) Shipping Co. Ltd.
Mitsui O.S.K. Lines, Ltd.
Swiss Singapore Overseas Enterprises Pte Ltd
Dentons has a well-established presence and is recognised for its expertise in advising on private equity, bankruptcy and restructuring, foreign investment, domestic and foreign listings. The practice advises a range of clients from private equity funds and government authorities, to listed companies and financial institutions. Yuefeng Lu has a strong background in corporate, commercial, banking and finance. Zuoke Chen is also noted and focuses on real estate, construction and energy.
Other key lawyers:
Guangzhou Wanxi Business Management Co., Ltd.
The Development and Construction Administration Department of Guangzhou Nansha New Area Industrial Park
Zhanjiang Water Authority
The Kraft Heinz (Yangjiang) Food Co., Ltd.
Sinopec Guangzhou Engineering Co., Ltd.
Shenzhen Airport Aerotropolis Operation Management Co., Ltd.
Guangdong Hengjian Investment Holding Co., Ltd.
Guangdong Southern Medical University Assets Management Co., Ltd.
Shuozhou Guangfa Energy Investment Co., Ltd.
Nanning Baima No. 2 Bus Rapid Transit Co., Ltd.
Huijing Group Co., Ltd.
ABN AMRO BANK N.V.
United Overseas Bank
Bluemoon (China) Co., Ltd.
- Assisted Guangzhou Wanxi Business Management in winning a package of assets including 100% of equity interest and the creditor’s rights of Guangdong Trust and Real Estate Development Corp..(CNY 55.1 billion)
- Advised Shuozhou Guangfa Energy Investment Co on arbitration for the recourse for investment funds of coal mine from original shareholder(s) of the invested coal mine. (CNY 140million)
- Provided all-course legal services for ABN AMRO BANK in relation to a syndicated loan-based financing transaction, in which the client served as the leading bank of the syndicate, to provide financing for a dairy company in the Netherlands. (EUR 18.5 million)
Grandall Law Firm
Grandall Law Firm advises on a wide spectrum of M&A, investment funds and energy transactions. The practice displays expertise in dispute resolution particularly concerning capital markets and commercial issues. Cheng Bing is a key individual to note and has particular expertise in securities issuances and M&A transactions. Caixia Li and Yang Guo are also recommended.
Yihua Healthcare Co.,Ltd.
Yihua Lifestyle Technology Co.,Ltd.
Great-Sun Foods Co.,Ltd.
Nanyang Topsec Technologies Group Inc.
Guangdong Taiantang Pharmaceutical Co.,Ltd.
Guangdong Anjubao Digital Technology Co.,Ltd.
Guangdong Jinming Machinery Co.,Ltd.
Guangdong power grid co. LTD
Hainan power grid co. LTD
Guangzhou power supply bureau co. LTD
Shenzhen power supply bureau co. LTD
China southern power grid ultra-high voltage transmission co. LTD
PW & Partners has an experienced practice that advises across a full range of areas including commercial and corporate, investment, M&A, antitrust and anti-unfair competition. The practice has a broad client base consisting of foreign companies, listed companies and state-owned enterprises. Founding partner James Peng has a strong background in labour and anti-unfair competition litigation. Ada Wang is also noted and has a high level of expertise in international arbitration and international trade negotiations.
Other key lawyers:
Mars Wrigley Confectionery (China) co., Ltd
Mars Food Australia
Jabil Circuit China
KWG Group Holdings (stock code HK.1813)
Agile Group Holdings (stock code HK.3383)
ZHONGSHENG PHARMA (stock code 002317)
Suning.com (stock code 002024.SZ)
BY-HEALTH Co., Ltd. (stock code 300149)
Hammer Capital (Hong Kong) Limited
Dongguan Water Group
Guangzhou Nansha International Logistics Park Development Co., Ltd.
Chu Kong Shipping Enterprises（Holdings） Company Limited
ZHU JIANG TRANSPORTATION COMPANY LIMITED
Zhuhai Doumen CKS Container Terminal Co., Ltd.
Guangdong Zhujiang Shipping Affairs Co., Ltd.
Chu Kong Shipping Enterprises （Group） Company Limited
- Represented Guangzhou Commodity Exchange Co., Ltd. And won a significant case with its investors.
- Represented HAMMER CAPITAL (HONG KONG) LIMITED in pledge registration on more than 1,000 patents and copyrights owned by GRIDSUM domestic subsidiaries with an estimated value of RMB 2.3 billion(£263m).
- Represented KWG Group in its salary and welfare compliance project.
Wei Tu Law Firm has a broad client offering and advises clients on a range of matters relating to litigation and arbitration, corporate, employment, intellectual property, ship finance, marine and international trade. Managing partner Zoe Zhou has a strong background in M&A, overseas listing, private equity and foreign direct investment. Henry Zhu is also noted and specialises in dispute resolution.
Singapore Technologies Aerospace Ltd
- Advised a European life sciences company on PRC law advice by reviewing the “Development and License Agreement” from PRC law perspective which is relating to the development of a COVID19 vaccine.
- Advised a US media company on PRC law advice on various issues relating to the implementation of a content license agreement, including PRC media policy, jurisdiction and dispute resolution issue, force majeure event under the context of COVID 19, etc.
- Advised a leading international bank on compliance issues in relation to trading physical oil and LNG cargoes and chartering oil and LNG tankers (on a voyage and time basis) in China.