Healthcare and life sciences: PRC firms in China
Fangda Partners continues to expand the depth of healthcare and life sciences sector resource, hiring regulatory specialist Jason Ma from JunHe LLP and counsel Gil Zhang from an in-house role. The 'practical and extremely strong' team includes a number of practitioners with deep experience of handling the full range of issues under both PRC and Hong Kong law. Within its sizable team which spans its Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong offices, Josh Shin, Diana Li and Hong Kong-based Vanessa Cheung are the names to note for transactions; Kate Yin is recommended for government enforcement, internal investigation and regulatory and compliance matters; Fang Qi focuses on IP-related transactions and litigation as well as antitrust litigation; antitrust and competition expert Michael Han is also a key contact.
Josh Shin; Kate Yin; Michael Han; Venessa Cheung; Fang Qi
Other key lawyers:
‘John Shin has excellent understanding of the pharmaceutical industry and precise grasp of the legal risks‘.
‘The team is very responsive and knowledgeable with great commercial awareness‘.
Clients also enjoy the firm’s ability to ‘draw resources from other practice groups’ to provide holistic legal solutions‘.
‘Diana Li has a strong communication and understanding ability‘.
EdiGene Beijing Biotechnology
Yunfeng Fund II
Hais Thera Scientific Fund I
- Acting for Eddingpharm on its $375m acquisition, from Eli Lilly, of the rights for two legacy antibiotic medicines in China: Ceclor and Vancocin, as well as a manufacturing facility in Suzhou that produces Ceclor.
- Acting for Yunfeng Capital and Alibaba Investment on its $1.16bn take-private of iKang Healthcare Group.
- Advising AstraZeneca in obtaining the exclusive promotion rights to a first-line blood lipid management drug from Luye Pharmaceuticals.
- Acted for CStone Pharmaceuticals on the IPO on the Hong Kong stock exchange with a market capitalisation of HK$1.26bn.
- Representing APBI Holdings in a patent administrative case pertaining the validity of the patent for its drug Dapoxetine, before the Beijing High Court and the Supreme Court.
Global Law Office advises biotechnology, pharmaceutical and medical device clients as well as financial institutions investing in the industry. It is well positioned to advise clients on compliance and regulatory, transactional, financing, licensing, IP and dispute settlement for adverse effect in clinical trials and medical treatment. The 'business savvy and client friendly' team saw an increasing instruction in the portable medical devices and mobile medical platform sphere. Alan Zhou specialises in compliance and regulatory matters and is regularly instructed on big-ticket M&A transactions. Michael Yu counts Tencent as a major client which he recently advised on the merger of Tencent Doctorwork and Trusted Doctors, a medical service providers that provides online and offline clinics in China. Bojia Zhao focuses on onshore and offshore public offerings and venture capital transactions.
Alan Zhou; Michael Yu
Other key lawyers:
Coco Fan; David Fu; Bojia Zhao
‘Alan Zhou is very familiar with the life-science industry and provides innovative and result-oriented solutions to clients‘.
‘Highly responsive, knowledgeable and experienced. Knows very well the industry and business‘.
CITIC Medical & Health Group
Ascensia Diabetes Care Holdings
- Acted for Boerhinger Ingelheim on its collaboration with BeiGene for the commercial supply of tislelizumab, BeiGene’s investigational anti-PD-1 antibody.
- Advised Siemens Helthineers on the restructuring of its China healthcare business.
- Assisted Tongxin Yilian Technology (Beijing) with the fourth round of financing led by a fund controlled by China International Capital Corporation.
King & Wood Mallesons
King & Wood Mallesons' recent caseload features a mix of financing, IPO, M&A and restructuring transactions, regulatory, licensing, patent protection and dispute settlement matters. Among them, it advised Luye Pharma on its agreement with AstraZeneca relating to the sale and license of the rights to Seroquel and Seroquel XR; acted for Baidu Capital in the series-B financing of RiMAG, a Shenzhen-based medical imaging service provider; and successfully represented AstraZeneca in reversing the adverse invalidation decision relating to Ticagrelor compound patent. Transactional lawyers Jianwen Huang and Jianping Wang jointly lead the team which also includes Mulong Gong, Yunwei Zhang, IP practitioner Wenping Chen and the recently promoted counsel Yuanyuan Zhu who has particular expertise in compliance and investigation.
Jianping Wang; Jianwen Huang
‘The team focuses on the field of biomedicine in mainland China. It can maintain a keen insight and professional interpretation of the legal dynamics in the industry, and has a comprehensive professional competence in the industry. In daily cooperation, the team can give clients feedback in a timely manner, and can propose appropriate solutions‘.
‘Yunwei Zhang’s depth and breadth of industry understanding has provided strong support for the clients to solve problems effectively. He can utilise the internal resources of the law firm to provide diversified services for the client‘.
Luye Pharma Group
China Isotope & Radiation Corporation
Guangdong Peace Investment
Beijing Aosaikang Pharmaceutical
Plethora Solutions Limited
Luoxin Pharmaceutical Group
iKang Healthcare Group
- Advised Luye Pharma Group on its collaboration with AstraZeneca granting AstraZeneca with the right to promote the xuezhikang capsules on an exclusive basis in the mainland China.
- Advised Luoxin Pharmaceutical Group in obtaining the license from Synergy Pharmaceuticals with exclusive rights to develop and commercialize Synergy’s plecanatide for the treatment of adults with chronic idiopathic constipation and irritable bowel syndrome with constipation in China.
- Acted for iKang Healthcare Group on its $1.5bn going-private transaction.
- Acted for By-health on its acquisition of Australian probiotic company Life-Space Group.
- Handled the backdoor listing on A-shares capital market for a leading private pharmaceutical company.
Han Kun Law Offices excels in representing major funds in their big-ticket investments in China. Recent instructions also feature compliance, competition, IP and financing transactions. Chaoying Li, Yijun Chao Ying Yang and Wei Li handled a steady stream of financing and IPO mandates, Min Zhu advised a Chinese pharmaceutical company in its commercialisation and distribution arrangement and represented a pharmaceutical company in a trade secrets infringement dispute, and Chen Ma and Xiaoming Li acted for a multinational pharmaceutical company in investigating internal corruption-related allegations against the employees of its Chinese subsidiary.
Min Zhu is ‘very hands-on and pays impressive attention to detail‘.
The team is praised for its ‘extensive industry knowledge‘ and its ability of ‘finding practical solutions’.
- Advised Innovent Biologics on its pre-IPO financing, restructuring, global offering and listing of share capital on the Hong Kong stock exchange.
- Acted for So-Young International in its US IPO and listing on NASDAQ.
- Advised Apollpmics on its $100m series-B financing.
- Advised a leading pharmaceutical company in a drug technology transfer dispute.
- Assisted a Chinese company in negotiating a drug promotion deal with an European multinational biopharmaceutical company.
JunHe LLP is particular strong in assisting institutional investors in their investments in the sector, with capability of handling IP, regulatory and contentious matters. Xudong Tao focuses on formation and restructuring of companies and private equity funds, and Feng ZHOU is recommended for M&A transactions and compliance matters.
Other key lawyers:
Fan Yang; Feng Zhou
CDH Growth Fund III
Harbin Pharmaceutical Group
- Advised 3SBio on acquiging Therapure Biopharma’s pharmaceutical contract development and manufacturing organisation (CDMO).
- Advised CDH Growth Fund III on its series-A financing of Harbout BioMed.
- Acted for Cardinal Health on the sale of its business in China.
Zhong Lun Law Firm augmented a typical strong year in the transactional space and displayed an impressive M&A and issuance caseload. Highlights include Advising Sinopharm Gorup on acquiring 60% equity in China National Scientific Instruments and Materials from China National Pharmaceutical Group and assisting Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica with the establishment of a joint venture of a swine foot-and-mouth disease vaccine R&D and production base. IP disputes and licensing transactions also features in its recent mandates. Helen Cheng counts Eli Lily and Company as a major client which she represented in a series of patent invalidation proceedings; Changyu Fu and Jim Qiu are recommended for compliance and regulatory matters; Anthony Zhao, Julia Zhu , Jinlin Nan and Catherine Chen are names to note for M&A and investmenttransactions.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team actively understands the client’s needs and provides efficient and flexible legal support‘.
‘The team is well-equipped to provide advisory and dispute resolution advice focusing on the entire life cycle of products in the field of pharmaceutical health‘.
Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica
Shenzhen Ping’ an Tianyu Equity Investment Fund Partnership
- Acted for the underwriters on the issuance of senior unsecured notes by Meinian Onehealth Healthcare through its offshore wholly owned subsidiary.
- Advised Hong Kong Asia Medical on its restructuring and series-C financing from General Atlantic.
- Represented Eli Lily and Company in a patent invalidation proceeding and the subsequent administration proceedings brought by Tasly regarding the unit dosage patent of tadalafil.
- Advising Olympus China on compliance matters, including marketing and promotion of medical devices and training centres co-development with business partners.
- Assisted a private equity fund on its issuing of multimillion-dollar convertible bond for the acquisition of a Chinese pharmaceutical company.