Healthcare and life sciences: PRC firms in China
Fangda Partners has a sizeable healthcare and life sciences practice that 'provides high quality one-stop full scope services'. It covers all areas, from dispute resolution and intellectual property, to transactions and regulation. The team advises a large client base consisting of household names including Bayer Healthcare, AstraZeneca, and BeiGene. Practice heads Josh Shin and Vanessa Cheung, as well as Diana Li are noted for their transactional and corporate expertise. Kate Yin heads the regulatory, compliance and government enforcement aspect of the practice. Fang Qi specialises in intellectual property and Michael Han focuses on antitrust and competition.
Other key lawyers:
‘Josh Shin understands the ins and outs of life science business and the compliance of most aspects for a biopharma company.‘
‘Very professional, good understanding of the pharmaceutic industry and always provides high-quality deliverables. Fangda is one of my most preferred law firm especially because its abilities to provide high quality one-stop full scope services, to fulfil immediate request, and its reliable estimation of legal fees.’
‘I am impressed by Josh Shin.’
Fresenius Kabi China
Hasico Pharmaceutical Group
Hais Thera Scientific Fund I
Yunfeng Fund II
Everbright Healthcare Fund
Shanghai Kehua Bioengineering
EdiGene Beijing Biotechnology
LifeTech Scientific Corporation
Wuxi JW Therapeutics
CICC Healthcare Fund
CR-CP Life Science Fund
Hosen Healthcare Capital
Johnson & Johnson
- Advising Edding Pharm on its US$375 million acquisition, from Eli Lilly, of the rights for two legacy antibiotic medicines in China, Ceclor and Vancocin, as well as a manufacturing facility in Suzhou that produces Ceclor.
- Representing Mylan N.V. in its proposed merger with Upjohn, the off-patent branded and generic established medicine business of Pfizer Inc., creating a new global pharmaceutical company.
- Assisted Biogen with compliance matters and drafting commercial contract templates.
Global Law Office has a well-established presence and displays expertise across the full spectrum of healthcare and life sciences. Key areas of strength include drug research and development, M&A of privately owned hospitals, biotechnology, and medical devices. The practice advises multinationals as well as both domestic and international investment funds. Shanghai-based practice head Alan Zhou 'provides practical and solution-oriented advice'. Zhou has a strong background in M&A, private equity/venture capital, and regulatory compliance. Michael Yu heads the Beijing team and displays a high level of expertise in M&A and private equity investments in the life sciences and healthcare sector. Coco Fan is also noted and advises clients on corporate, compliance and M&A issues.
‘Global Law Office’s Healthcare and lifesciences team led by Partner Alan Zhou is familiar with the life-science industry and provides practical and solution-oriented advices.’
‘Rich knowledge and experience of the pharmaceutical industry – can provide practical legal advice to clients.’
New Frontier Corporation (NYSE: NFC)
BeiGene (Nasdaq: BGNE; Hong Kong Stock Exchange: 06160)
Blue Sail Medical ( SZ.002382 )
Shanghai Care Alliance Medical Technology Co., Ltd.
Lepu Medical Technology (Beijing) Co., Ltd.
- Advised New Frontier Corporation (NYSE: NFC) on the purchase of United Family Healthcare (UFH) from TPG, Fosun Pharma and other existing shareholders.
- Advised BeiGene in a global strategic partnership for oncology.
- Represented Bluesail Medical to acquire a medical device group company in Europe.
King & Wood Mallesons
King & Wood Mallesons has a specialist team with expertise in handling cross-border matters in the healthcare and life sciences sectors. Clients benefit from a wide offering with expertise in pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and biotechnology. The practice has significant experience in handling IPOs, financings, intellectual property transactions and litigation, data protection and compliance. Jianwen Huang and Jianping Wang head the practice and have particular expertise in corporate and transactional related matters.
Shandong Luoxin Holding Company Limited
China Meheco Corporation
Goldman Sachs (Asia) L.L.C.
Shanghai Electric Group Company Limited
China Life Equity Investment Company Limited
Venus Medtech (Hangzhou) Inc. (Stock code:02500.HK)
Zhejiang Century Huatong Group Co., Ltd. ( Stock Code: 002602.SZ)
Hangzhou XCGT State-owned Investment Holding Group Co., Ltd. (XCGT Holding Group)
Guangdong Blooming-Spring Biological Technology Development Co., Ltd
- Advised Pfizer on the establishment of new companies and branches in China as well as the acquisition of a drug distribution company from Shanghai Pharma, and provided legal advice on investment structure, license and requirements.
- Representing AstraZeneca in patent invalidation cases involving Ticagrelor.
- Assisted Qing Dao Haier Biomedical with completing various issues related to the issuance and listing.
Han Kun Law Offices offers clients vast expertise on investments in the healthcare and life sciences sectors and advises a range of private equity and venture capital funds. The practice also advises on healthcare-related matters concerning compliance and regulation, competition law, IP, and litigation. The team has experience representing clients before public bodies including the Ministry of Commerce concerning anti-trust and competition matters. Chaoying Li focuses on public and private financings, and M&A. Min Zhu handles the regulatory and compliance issues.
China Medical System (CMS) (HKEx 00867)
Innovent Biologics, Inc.
- Advised Bayer in the merger notification for its acquisition of Monsanto Company.
- Advised CMS in the drafting of the license agreement with Zydus for the development and commercialization of a pharmaceutical product in Greater China.
- Assisted Astorg with its acquisition of equity in a European company that is active in life science-related IT services.
JunHe LLP advises on healthcare-related matters involving corporate and M&A, capital markets, IP, and compliance. The practice has a wide range of clients from medical institutions and listed companies, to multinational corporates and venture capital/private equity firms. Xudong TAO specialises in equity and debt financing and Feng ZHOU has a strong background in M&A transactions and compliance. Ke Tong is also noted.
- Assisted Pharmaron’s sponsors with the successful landing on both the A-share market and the H-share market in 2019.
- Advised the investors (including, among others, CITICPE, CICC and Baring) involved in round A of financing for JD Health.
- Advised Suzhou Zelgen Biopharmaceuticals Co., Ltd. in its IPO and listing.
Zhong Lun Law Firm has a wide breadth of expertise within the healthcare and life sciences sectors, offering advice on intellectual property, dispute resolution, and anti-corruption. Other key areas include regulation and compliance concerning medicine and medical devices. Clients also benefit from expertise on financing, M&A, and restructuring. Catherine Chen specialises in investment funds and private equity. Another key individual is Helen Cheng who has a strong technical background in healthcare and life sciences. Changyu FU and Jim Qiu are also noted. The practice is praised for its 'diligent and detail oriented' approach.
6 Dimensions Capital
Lilly Asia Ventures
Eli Lilly and Company
EUSA Pharma (UK) Limited
Mundipharma (China) Pharmaceutical Co, LTD
Global Health Drug Discovery Institute
Chiral Quest (Suzhou) Co., Ltd.
Exegenesis Bio, Inc.
KOBAYASHI Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Hoya Lens (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
Dizal (Jiangsu) Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Novogene Co., Ltd
Sinovant Science Co., Ltd
HTA Co., Ltd.
Beaufour-IPSEN (Tianjin) Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
GlaxoSmithKine (China) Investment Co., Ltd.
Tencent Technology Shenzhen Co., Ltd.
Nestlé (China) Ltd.
BOE Technology Group Go., Ltd.
Sinopharm Financial Leasing Co., Ltd
Sinopharm Rosino (Shanghai) commercial factoring Co., Ltd
Shanghai International Medical Center
Enhance Biomedical Group
Shanghai Hetong Medical
- Represented Eli Lilly and Company in defending a patent invalidation proceeding and consequent administration proceedings.
- Advised Elpiscience, a drug development company, on its Series C financing, including drafting and negotiation of legal documents, onshore restructuring, offshore equity financing, and closing.
- Long-term legal counsel of Novogene providing compliance advice on its healthcare services.