Electricity in Brazil
Offering legal support to both Brazilian and international clients, BMA - Barbosa, Müssnich, Aragão is well versed in power auctions, concessions, negotiation of contracts and commercial agreements, administrative proceedings before regulatory bodies and agencies, litigation and arbitration. In addition, the team has experience in the sale and purchase of stock and assets in the power sector, as well as project development involving thermoelectric plants and renewable energy. Rafael d’Avila Dutra and Carlos Frederico Lucchetti Bingemer have strong transactional backgrounds and jointly lead the department.
CPFL Energias Renováveis
- Assisting the greenfield energy transmission concessionaires which belong to Abengoa in a matter concerning ANEEL’s guarantees offered as performance bonds for concessions.
- Handles the defence of Eletrobras in an administrative procedure filed by ANEEL.
The energy team at Campos Mello Advogados in cooperation with DLA Piper excels in M&A transactions and project development mandates in the power sector. The team is experienced in the implementing of thermoelectric and renewable projects, advising on auction participation, equipment and fuel supply agreements, as well as financing, environmental licensing and tax structuring. Key strengths include assisting with the negotiation of contracts in net metering/distributed generation and power purchase agreements. Practice head Fabiano Gallo's knowledge encompasses M&A, project development and regulatory issues. Associate Flavia Cerutti also receives praise.
‘CMA has a very knowledgeable and engaged team. They provide outstanding legal advice.’
‘Fabiano Gallo (partner) and Flavia Cerutti (associate) are excellent attorneys to work with. They deliver top-notch legal work and are fully committed to their clients.’
‘Highly engaged and accessible team. Solution-oriented. They think out-of-the-box and always have a practical approach to problems.’
‘Fabiano Gallo (partner) and Flavia Cerutti (associate) do an outstanding work. In addition to delivering excellent work, they are very dependable and easy to work with. Coordinating the work of outside counsel can be a very time consuming activity. Fabiano and Flávia definitely make my life easier and I hope I can count on their support for many deals to come.’
Statkraft Energias Renováveis do Brasil
Rio Alto Energia
- Assisted Statkraft Energias Renováveis with the acquisition of two Brazilian wind projects with a total capacity of 660MW.
- Assistance to AB InBev in a deal with a private equity group that will build a wind farm to supply renewable energy to all AB InBev beverage plants in Northeast Brazil, as well as to its five Budweiser breweries across the country.
Cescon, Barrieu, Flesch & Barreto Advogados handles a wide range of transactional matters taking place in the power sector, providing legal assistance in project finance, M&A and capital market deals. The practice is also well equipped to advise on energy generation, transmission, distribution and trading companies in relation to regulatory concerns. Roberto Mario Amaral Lima Neto, who is regularly retained by domestic and international development banks and multilateral institutions, leads the department alongside Maurício Teixeira dos Santos, whose areas of expertise include renewable energy and infrastructure projects.
‘The team is very talented and client oriented, able to provide swift and precise solutions meeting 100% the clients needs.’
‘Roberto Amaral is a partner that has a deep knowledge of the complex energy sector and his insights helped our company in building up a robust legal framework in the sector.’
‘Julia Lobo is an extremely thoughtful senior associate, fully involved in deals, client-oriented and likely to be among the most experienced, sharp and talented practitioners in the Brazilian capital markets nowadays.’
BNDES – Brazilian Development Bank
Terna Plus S.r.l.
Banco Santander (Brasil)
IFC – International Finance Corporation
Banco Itaú BBA
Banco ABC Brasil
- Advised Eletrobras in the divestment of its corporate interest directly held in 33 SPVs in the wind power generation and transmission sectors.
- Provided advice to BNDES on structuring two PPPs for the modernisation, efficiency, expansion, operation and maintenance of the public lighting network infrastructure in Teresina, State of Piauí, and Macapá, State of Amapá.
- Advises CymiMasa in matters related to its activities as transmission line concessionaire and EPC contractor.
Focusing on renewable and non-renewable energy, Demarest Advogados offers legal support to several energy generators in the country, including the most significant hydroelectric power plants in Brazil. The department stands out for its strong track record in regulatory issues and administrative and regulatory proceedings. Practice head Rafael Gagliardi leads on dispute resolution. In recent news, Raphael Gomes and Bruno Crispim left the firm.
‘The Demarest team is always available to assist clients, and demonstrate technical knowledge that gives us security.’
‘Demarest’s lawyers stand out for their quick response time’
‘Deep expertise of the energy area and infrastructure.’
‘The Demarest team has supported us in some solar energy projects in Brazil. They have a team with a lot of experience in the electrical sector. They can give a very quick response to our needs. All lawyers have a very long history of acting in the energy market in Brazil.’
‘Proactivity, understanding of clients’ needs and first-class work. Associate Renato Edelstein.’
Ferbasa – Companhia de Ferro Ligas da Bahia
Cobra Brasil Serviços, Comunicações e Energia
Vivo/ Telefonica Brasil
Energia Sustentável do Brasil – ESBR
Câmara de Comercialização de Energia Elétrica – CCEE
Engie Brasil Energia
Norte Energia – NESA
Statkraft Energias Renováveis
Minerva Comercializadora de Energia
- Advising Engie Brasil in a lawsuit proposed by Eletrobras regarding the devolution of UTE Alegrete, one of the biggest thermal power plants in Brazil.
- Advising Câmara de Comercialização de Energia Elétrica in a writ of mandamus proposed by ECEL concerning transactions related to power purchase agreements.
- Advising Energia Sustentável do Brasil in a lawsuit against ANA, the Brazilian National Water Agency, regarding the mitigation measures of the Jirau Hydroeletric Power Plant.
Dias Carneiro Advogados offers advice to clients in relation to project contract negotiations, domestic and cross-border project financing and regulatory matters. The practice demonstrates strength in project development and acquisitions, and M&A transactions pertaining to the power sector across various segments, encompassing traditional and renewable energy, particularly wind and solar power. The department is jointly led by Ricardo Sanches, who is proficient in transactions involving utilities and PPPs, and Thiago Vallandro Flores, who focuses on financing issues and private equity matters.
EDP Renováveis Brasil
Inter-American Development Bank / Inter-American Investment Corporation
Shanghai Electric Power Generation Engineering Co.
Sykué Geração de Energia
Vestas Wind Power
International Finance Corporation
- Advises Sykué Geração de Energia with regard to the production of energy from its 28MW thermoelectricity facility in the municipality of São Desidério, State of Bahia.
- Assisted Vestas Wind Power on the negotiation of agreements with EDF France to supply and install wind energy turbines for the Folha Larga Wind Energy Generation Complex in Campo Formoso, State of Bahia.
- Advised Kinea as a potential initial investor/debenture holder in the third issuance of debentures of Tropicália Transmissora de Energia.
Based in Brasília, energy boutique Julião Coelho Advocacia has particular strength in regulatory cases before federal courts. Covering all segments of the energy sphere, including power generation, transmission, distribution and trading, the practice is also proficient in renewable energy matters. Founding partner Julião Silveira Coelho stands out for his extensive experience in energy litigation, which is also Pedro Henrique Maciel Fonseca's area of focus. Camila Alves e Fontes leads on consulting matters, advising on risk analysis and other mandates involving new technologies in the solar and storage energy fields.
‘Attention, extraordinary knowledge, fast and extremely creative.’
‘Julião Coelho stands out for his creativity, availability and courage to face challenges in the best new way.’
‘The firm offers a broad view of the energy sector, both from legal and technical perspective, which is unique, assists in-house lawyers to better access the problems to be solved from different angles, and is much appreciated by other areas of the company.’
‘Julião Coelho is an extremely capable lawyer, with a background that allows him to propose outside-the-box solutions to complex problems. He is always accessible, responds on a timely manner. He always acknowledges the team effort of his associate lawyers, and gives them the deserved credit, so every compliment made to his practice I extend also to the lawyers involved in the projects the firms assists us with, particularly Camila Alves e Fontes and Guilherme Chamum.’
Associação Brasileira dos Investidores em Autoprodução de Energia (ABIAPE)
Associação Brasileira de Grandes Consumidores Industriais de Energia e de Consumidores Livres (ABRACE)
Associação Brasileira dos Produtores Independentes de Energia Elétrica (APINE)
- Represented Associação Brasileira de Grandes Consumidores Industriais de Energia e de Consumidores Livres (ABRACE) in strategic court proceedings regarding the payment of compensation owed to public utility transmission providers from all electrical power consumers in Brazil.
- Provided technical support to GE in the analysis of energy trading contracts in the regulated market, as well as the regulation regarding the physical guarantee of wind farms.
Lefosse Advogados has a team dedicated to the power sector, which is able to deal with the full range of transactions pertaining to this field, including structured and corporate finance, project finance and M&A. Assisting clients with bidding procedures, negotiating EPC contracts and handling administrative litigation before ANEEL, are among the department's notable areas of practice. In 2020, Eduardo Soares left to join electric energy company CEMIG. Eduardo Carvalhaes is now the practice head. In a significant move, the firm hired well-regarded lawyers Raphael Gomes, Pedro Dante and Bruno Crispim.
Centrais Elétricas do Norte do Brasil – ELETRONORTE
EDP GRID Gestão de Redes Inteligentes de Distribuição
Tropicália Transmissora de Energia (BTG Pactual)
- Assisted Unipar Carbocloro in the negotiation with AES Tietê of corporate and commercial agreements for the incorporation of a 50/50 joint venture for the generation of wind power in the self-production regime.
- Advising ELETRONORTE in the analysis of the extension of the Tucuruí hydroelectric plant concession pursuant to paragraph two of article four of Law No. 9,074/1995.
Leite, Tosto e Barros Advogados Associados
Leite, Tosto e Barros Advogados Associados draws upon its thorough knowledge of public law to assist clients with public bids and concessions, PPPs and large-scale infrastructure projects in the fields of electricity generation and transmission. Regular mandates also include administrative proceedings before regulatory agencies. The practice is led by Eduardo Nobre, who focuses on administrative law. Valéria Rosa left to join Lobão Cosenza, Figueiredo Cavalcante Advogados in 2020.
‘The firm has a great deal of experience in energy.’
Linhas de Itacaiunas Transmissora de Energia
Bioenergy Geradora de Energia
Tecneira Acaraú Geração e Comercialização de Energia Elétrica
Ferreira Gomes Energia
BOM JESUS EÓLICA
CGEOL – Centrais Geradoras Eólicas integrantes do Complexo Eólico Itaguaçu da Bahia
Espírito Santo Centrais Elétricas
Linhas de Taubaté Transmissora de Energia
Caiuá Transmissora de Energia
Cymi Construções e Participações
- Assisted Tecneira Acaraú Geração e Comercialização de Energia Elétrica in filing a successful request for a preliminary injunction against ANEEL and CCEE to prevent both agencies from imposing penalties due to the delays of a wind generation park project.
- Defending Espiríto Santo Centrais Elétricas in a legal claim filed by Samarco following the dam accident in the municipality of Mariana, requiring the reduction of the power usage of the contract.
Covering electricity generation, transmission, distribution, power commercialisation and trading, Machado Meyer Sendacz e Opice Advogados stands out for the transactional work it undertakes in the power sector. Apart from advising domestic and foreign clients on M&A, project finance and energy auctions, the department also provides legal assistance in the drafting and negotiation of commercial contracts pertaining to project development, as well as administrative and judicial issues. The team is proficient in traditional and renewable power generation and self-production regime projects. Practice head Ana Karina Esteves de Souza advises on private investments in regulated industries, with a particular emphasis on the electricity sector. Public-private partnerships (PPPs) and project finance are some of José Virgílio Lopes Enei's areas of expertise, while recently promoted Laura Garcia de Freitas Souza specialises in energy law. Paulo Machado is also recommended.
‘The team is really available, very responsible and commercial. The team is very competent and able to understand the needs of a foreign company to invest in Brazil. They are able to have deep exchanges and explanations regarding regulatory matters and to seek creative, safe and compliant solutions.‘
‘Very knowledgeable team, with the perfect right balance on energy sector, business and legal expertise.‘
‘Machado Meyer has been providing a very good legal service in assisting us with renewable matters, with a very good knowledge of the market, players and regulatory aspects.‘
‘Ana Karina de Souza is a senior partner that is always available for the clients, with a lot of experience and a good sense of the transaction. Paulo Machado is a senior associate with a lot of energy and the whole transaction he is working in his head. A very good asset to the firm.‘
‘Ana Karina de Souza is our contact partner for renewables. Her experience is remarkable, always providing prompt support to us and business-oriented advice.‘
‘The practice has some great lawyers with a strong background on renewables, including Ana Karina, Laura and Paulo. This guarantees that a client is provided with a full team focused on the sector, instead of a person, ensuring a high-quality work through the whole cycle of the service.‘
‘Ana Karina de Souza is an outstanding energy sector lawyer. In addition of having a deep knowledge of the sector itself, she also brings knowledge of business allied to other areas of law, which facilitate and foster an efficient discussion and excellent output. Her proactive attitude and good interpersonal relationship balanced with assertiveness needs to be commended.’
‘Laura is an excellent lawyer with a deep understanding of the renewables sector. She was able to anticipate commercial strategies and fully understand them. She was also really flexible and was able to easily deal with changes in such strategy.’
EDF – Electricité de France
Total Gas & Power
Sterlite Power Grid Ventures Limited
EDP Renováveis Brasil
Banco Itaú BBA
- Advised EDP Renováveis on the structuring of the sale of the Babilônia wind farm, which has an installed capacity of 137MW and is in operation since the fourth quarter of 2018, to Actis.
- Acted as legal advisor to Sterlite Brazil Participações (the seller) in the sale of shares issued by Sterlite Novo Estado and in the preparation of the sale of one of the largest transmission lines currently under construction.
- Assisted Siemens Financial Services in the acquisition of equity interest in MicroPower-Comerc, a joint venture of Siemens, Comerc Energia and MicroPower Energy.
- Advised Mitsui&Co. in the preparation and negotiation of the investment agreement and shareholders agreement related to the acquisition, by Mitsui, of a minority stake in Origo Energia.
Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados receives instructions from the full range of participants in the electricity sector, ranging from power producers, distribution and transmission companies to service providers, private equity funds and banks. The energy department is well equipped to provide assistance in project development and finance, as well as stock and asset purchases, litigation and regulatory matters. With over fifteen years of experience in the field, Fabiano Ricardo Luz de Brito is a key practitioner, whose experience encompasses transactional matters and regulatory issues pertaining to the electricity sector. Sofia Barbosa joined in September 2020.
‘The firm has excellent and well-prepared lawyers. Its full-service structure enables them to help us on different branches of the same deal.’
AES Tietê Energia
Casa dos Ventos Energias Renováveis
Gás Natural do Açu – GNA
Brookfield Energia Renovável
PERFIN Asset Management
Argo Transmissão de Energia
Canada Pension Plan Investment Board – CPPIB
Companhia de Energias Renováveis – CER
XP Vista Asset Management
Engie Brasil Energia
Group Equatorial Energia
CYMI Construções e Participações
Actis Brasil Energia Fundo de Investimento em Participações Multiestratégia
- Assisted Actis in the sale of Atlantic Energias Renováveis to CGN Energy International Holdings.
- Assisted AES Tietê Energia with the incorporation of a joint venture with Unipar with the purpose of developing operating wind farms.
- Represented Fundo de Investimento em Participações em Infraestrutura Energia Renováveis in the sale of its majority equity interest in thirteen wind power SPVs to Omega Energia.
- Advised Companhia de Energias Renováveis – CER with administrative discussions associated with the recognition of curtailment events impacting the operation of wind farms owned by the company in 2018 and 2019.
Mundie e Advogados has longstanding experience assisting energy clients operating in the electricity field. The team has particular strength in the power generation segment, and is also adept at advising regulators on legislative issues. Rafael Fabbri D’Avila oversees the department, leading on matters pertaining to regulatory and contractual issues, as well as energy projects. M&A transactions involving the power sector are co-ordinated by Rodolpho Protasio, while João Carlos Zanon and Diego Herrera Alves de Moraes focus on litigation. The practice further support clients from the power sector in tax-related matters, for which Antenori Trevisan is responsible.
‘Mundie team has a superior capability to accomplish the work, fulfilling clients’ needs in time with high standards. The team is well organised and responds in time to all the requests. They are very objective and focused on the client’s requirements.’
‘Rafael Fabbri D’Avila stands out due to his profound knowledge of the sector. Rafael has provided prompt responses to our requests diligently. His ability to explain sector issues clearly has been very helpful while making decisions.’
Piedade Usina Geradora de Energia
FIP Brasil Energia
Intesa – Integração Transmissora de Energia
Pequena Central Hidrelétrica Rio do Braço
Lautis Empreendimentos e Participações
- Acted for Termelétrica Viana in an administrative appeal against a series of decisions issued by Aneel, which increased client’s costs in generating energy, especially regarding connection costs with the grid.
- Advised Electra Comercializadora on regulatory and contractual issues regarding commercialisation of electric energy, especially in connection with a potential contractual dispute with a large client.
- Advised BTG Pactual on sector regulation applicable to electric energy commercialisation agents.
The energy practice at Pinheiro Neto Advogados is well versed in high-value M&As, privatisations and auctions taking place in the Brazilian power sector, and its full-service offering enables it to assist clients with related tax, real estate and environmental issues. Typical mandates include advising on self-production structures, tenders for new hydroelectric plants, the construction of new transmission lines, auctions for power purchases and project finance. Drawing on almost two decades of experience in the energy field, José Roberto Oliva Júnior focuses on regulatory issues and transactional work in the power sector.
Brookfield Infrastructure Partners L.P.
Pacific Hydro Energia do Brasil (SPIC Group)
- Assisted Sices Brasil with standard drafts of agreements for power-distributed generation (net metering) with solar sources.
- Assisted Brookfield in the acquisition of 50% of equity held by Cymi in Odoyá Transmissora de Energia, the titleholder of a transmission concession.
- Acted as legal counsel to Micropower in the structuring of its innovative ‘battery as a service’ business in partnership with Comerc Esco Comércio e Prestação de Serviços em Energia and Siemens Financial Services.
Rolim, Viotti, Goulart, Cardoso Advogados
With particular strength in regulatory matters, Rolim, Viotti & Leite Campos Advogados has a successful track record in administrative, judicial and arbitral proceedings involving the power sector. The department is adept at assisting clients with electricity bids, as well as complex price control reviews, demonstrating expertise in renewable and alternative energy, especially wind and bioenergy contracts. The team is under the leadership of Maria João Rolim, who is noted for her longstanding experience in regulatory work and renewable energy issues.
‘The team’s specialisation in energy and administrative law and their willingness to provide great results are outstanding. Their availability is also a key element for the client’s satisfaction.’
‘Maria João Rolim is energetic and articulate. She is always available and willing to do more and better.’
CPFL – Companhia Paulista de Força e Luz
CCEE – Câmara de Comercialização de Energia Elétrica
UEG Araucária – Usina Elétrica a Gás de Araucária
ONS – Nacional System Operator
CTEEP – Companhia de Transmissão de Energia Elétrica Paulista
EDP Espírito Santo
Cymi do Brasil Projetos e Serviços
Norte Brasil Transmissora de Energia
State Grid Brazil Holding
- Representing UEG Araucária in an administrative claim before ANEEL, discussing termination fines regarding the permanent Transmission System Usage Agreement (CUST) and the execution of a temporary CUST.
- Representing Norte Brasil Transmissora de Energia in judicial proceedings in a case concerning the application of discounts on the transmission revenue known as Transmission System Unavailability Variable Income (Parcela Variável de Indisponibilidade – PVI).
- Acted for Operador Nacional do Sistema Elétrico (ONS) in a lawsuit filed by a municipal authority concerning ONS’s action in the management of the water resource regarding a power plant in Três Marias, State of Minas Gerais.
Schmidt, Valois, Miranda, Ferreira & Agel Advogados receives regular instructions from investors, operators, financial institutions and consumers in transactions taking place in the electricity sector. The service offering covers public bids for concessions in transmission and generation, as well as renewable energy, where the team mainly advises on the development and financing of greenfield and brownfield projects. Administrative proceedings before the Brazilian Electricity Regulatory Agency also feature on the team's portfolio. Practice head Guilherme Schmidt is skilled across M&A transactions, regulatory issues and infrastructure matters involving the power sector.
‘Deep knowledge of regulatory matters in energy.’
‘Partner Paulo Valois adds a lot when the discussions are related to gas and energy.’
‘Associate Manuela Dana also did an outstanding job in critical moments of projects.’
ZTT do Brasil
Fundação Conrado Wessel Group
EBrasil Norte Geração de Energia
- Assisted LMP Energy Participações e Consultoria in the negotiations for the construction of a major gas thermoelectric power plant of 680MW capacity in the North Region of Brazil.
- Provided regulatory and contractual assistance to GNA, a subsidiary of Brazilian energy and infrastructure corporation Prumo Logística.
- Conducted a legal evaluation on behalf of Pampa Energia in relation to the potential risks involved in the acquisition of a thermoelectric power plant with capacity of 639.9MW, located in the south of Brazil.
A leader in dispute resolution, Sergio Bermudes Advogados has an increasing presence in the electricity sector. The team excels in contentious electricity matters, with a special emphasis on administrative disputes, regulatory issues and appeals. In addition, the department is adept at assisting with project approvals. Vitor Ferreira Alves de Brito, whose expertise covers regulatory issues affecting the power sector, leads the team with Marcio Vieira Souto Costa Ferreira, who is a name to note for complex disputes. Elena Landau is another key practitioner.
‘Sergio Bermudes has an excellent team of lawyers who are always available, understand clients’ issues and don’t give up until they solve the problem in question.’
‘In the energy sector, Vitor Brito stands out as a strategic advisor with a strong track record in the field of electricity.’
Abradee – Assoc. Bras. dos Distrib. de Energia Elétrica
Abrace – Associação dos Grandes Consumidores de Energia e Consumidores Livres
Abragel – Assoc. Brasileira de Geração de Energia Limpa
Apine – Associação Brasileira dos Produtores Independentes de Energia Elétrica
Light Serviços de Eletricidade
Celg – Companhia Energética de Goiás
Centr. Gerad. Termel. Fortaleza – CGTF (Termofortaleza)
Queiroz Galvão Energia
CESP – Companhia Energética de São Paulo
Celpe – Companhia Energética de Pernambuco
Companhia Paulista de Força e Luz
Companhia Paulista de Energia Elétrica
Coelba – Companhia de Eletricidade do Estado da Bahia
Cemat – Centrais Elétricas Matogrossenses
Celpa – Centrais Eletricas do Pará
Companhia Energética de Pernambuco
Celtins – Cia de Energia Elétrica do Estado do Tocantins
Cemar – Companhia Energética do Maranhão
Enersul – Empresa Energética de Mato Grosso do Sul
Companhia Forca e Luz do Oeste
Coelce – Companhia Energética do Ceará
Companhia Paranaense de Energia
Cosern – Companhia Energética do Rio Grande do Norte
Espírito Santo Centrais Elétricas
Energisa Sergipe Distribuidora
Empresa Eletrica Bragantina
CEA – Companhia de Eletricidade do Amapá
DME-D – DME Distribuicao
Eletrobras Distribuição Acre
- Represented Abradee in a direct action of unconstitutionality which challenged a state law prohibiting the charge for electricity connection in the case of interruption of supply due to non-payment.
- Represents 35 electric energy distributors in a writ of mandamus regarding a lawsuit filed by Santo Antonio Energia against Aneel, concerning the delay in the operation of the Santo Antonio hydroelectric power plant caused by strikes.
Siqueira Castro – Advogados
Siqueira Castro – Advogados restructured its energy offering with the hire of renowned partner David Waltenberg in July 2019; he now heads the renewable energy department. The practice was further strengthened with the addition of two lawyers who also joined from Advocacia Waltenberg: Eduardo Evangelista, who focuses on administrative law pertaining to infrastructure, and energy and public law specialist Humberto Negrão. Both Negrão and Evangelista were promoted to partner in 2021. The practice is retained by clients operating in all segments of the power sector, assisting them in auctions as well as litigation and administrative proceedings before ANEEL. Simone Paschoal Nogueira, who specialises in environmental matters, provides legal support to oil and gas companies.
Eletrosul Centrais Elétricas
Operador Nacional do Sistema – ONS
Usina Termelétrica Lençóis Paulista
Volkswagen do Brasil
Albioma Rio Pardo Termelétrica
White Martins Gases Industriais
Departamento Municipal de Energia Elétrica de Ijuí – DEMEI Geração
Companhia Brasileira de Alumínio
Novelis do Brasil
- Advised Grupo Colorado on energy law, defending the rights and interests of two if its affiliates in judicial measures aiming at protecting their credits in the short-term market of the Electric Energy Trading Chamber – CCEE.
- Assisted Renova in several issues related to regulation of electricity generation services, including administrative proceedings within the scope of the National Agency of Electric Energy – ANEEL.
- Supporting Darby Servtec Energia on the structuring of a project for distributed generation of electricity, from photovoltaic solar sources, for purposes of participating in the electric energy settlement system instituted by ANEEL Normative Resolution No. 482/2012.
- Provided consulting and assistance services to CEI Energética on several legal regulatory issues related to electricity.
- Advises DEMEI Geração on the risks involved in the administration of the concession agreement that granted implementation and exploration of the Hydroelectric power plant Passo de Ajuricaba.
The administrative and regulatory practice at Souto Correa Advogados brings together lawyers with cross-sector expertise and contractual knowledge to assist clients on distributed energy resources projects and gas-related projects. The group is well equipped to advise on regulatory and transactional work involving the power sector. Carlos Souto has advised on privatisations in the electricity industry, while Gustavo Kaercher Loureiro is proficient in handling lawsuits involving electricity distributors. Livia Amorim and Fabio Di Lallo are key contacts for regulatory issues and administrative proceedings.
‘Souto Correa provides interdisciplinary approaches to several topics, including those within the power sector.’
‘Fabio di Lallo is a young partner with technical knowledge of the power sector. He is also able to discuss the theory behind the practical part of the work he is being hired to do.’
‘The team provides robust and innovative solutions which is enabled by the vast group of lawyers, who possess complementary fields of expertise.’
‘Lívia Amorim is very engaged with the matters and is a good communicator.’
Companhia Siderúrgia Nacional (CSN)
The power team at Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown is adept at advising on the full cycle of a project, covering the initial structuring through to financing, construction and operation. Drawing on Mayer Brown's international office network, the practice is regularly retained by international energy clients to assist them in entering the Brazilian electricity market, as well as supporting them on cross-border transactions and power projects. The department is not only involved in innovative thermoelectric LNG projects, but is also well versed in renewable energy, advising on project development and financing, M&A transactions, regulatory issues and environmental matters. Other areas of activity include litigation and arbitration proceedings. Finance specialist Eduardo Lima coordinates the team alongside Débora Yanasse, who is active in contractual, corporate and regulatory issues pertaining to the power and gas industries.
‘The team is very business oriented, and has a strong knowledge of legal matters and the market.’
‘Débora Yanasse is very commercially minded, responsive and a pleasure to work with.’
‘The team was able to give fast objective responses to complex electricity questions. Débora Yanasse is great to work with. She provides quick and objective answers, and is always available by cellphone.’
‘Débora Yanasse is a very detail oriented lawyer with exceptional legal skills and very pro business thinking.’
Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec – CDPQ
Voltalia Energia do Brasil
Atlas Renewable Energy
EDP – Energias do Brasil
CPFL Energias Renováveis
- Acted for Alberta Investment Management Corporation in the acquisition of a 90% stake in Estre Energia Renovável Participações and Guatapará Energia, currently held by Cavo Serviços e Saneamento (and, indirectly, by Estre Ambiental).
- Advising Alunorte on the structuring and development of the Barcarena LNG Project, which consists of the importation of LNG to be regasified in an FSRU terminal or a regasification plant.
- Advised Banco BTG Pactual, Sagarana Geração de Energia Solar, Ebes Administradora de Consórcios, Ebes Sistemas de Energia, Consórcio Sagarana and sponsors, in the issuance of surety letters to guarantee long-term financing provided by Banco do Nordeste do Brasil for the construction and development of Sagarana’s solar power distributed generation project.
TozziniFreire Advogados offers support to clients in the context of greenfield and brownfield projects, financing, M&A transactions and regulatory matters. The team is also well versed in privatisations of electric power distributors and divestitures of generation assets. In the renewables space, it possesses experience in wind, hydro, solar and biomass projects. Leading the team is Pedro Seraphim, whose areas of practice include due diligence in relation to corporate transactions, financing agreements and project contracts.
TAESA – Transmissora Aliança de Energia Elétrica
China Three Gorges
Darby Servtec Energia FIP
CEMIG – Companhia Energética de Minas Gerais
Companhia de Gás de São Paulo – Comgás
Statkraft Energias Renováveis
Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
Power Grid Corporation of India Limited
Société de Promotion et de Participation pour la Coopération Economique (Proparco)
DEG – Deutsche Investitions – und Entwicklungsgesellschaft mbH
Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan
China Jinjiang Environment Holding Company Limited
- Assisted Norte Energia, the company responsible for building the Belo Monte hydroelectric power plant in the Amazon region, in the EPC contract entered into with Belo Monte Construction Consortium, and in key supply contracts.
- Assisted Litoral Sul Transmissora de Energia, Ceepower and Brafer Construções Metálicas in the acquisition of a transmission line with a total length of 142km, including two sub-stations.
- Advises Red Eléctrica Internacional on the acquisition of 100% of the shares of Argo Energia Empreendimentos e Participações by Grupo Energía Bogotá and Red Eléctrica Internacional.
Trench Rossi Watanabe
Trench Rossi Watanabe's expertise covers all segments of the power sector, encompassing both non-renewable and renewable energy sources (hydro, wind and solar power). The practice's key strength resides in handling transactional work involving electricity assets and companies, but other notable areas of practice include project development as well as regulatory aspects. Leading the department is José Roberto Martins, whose practice spans concessions, administrative law and greenfield project development.
‘The team provides prompt responses and is always available to answer clients’ queries.’
‘The firm’s China desk set-up renders the communication smoother and more efficient when compared to other law firms.’
‘High professionalism, responsibility and execution power. Mauricio Pacheco and José Roberto Martins are recommended.’
Casa dos Ventos
Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems
- Providing full legal assistance to Canadian Solar in auctions for the sale and purchase of renewable energy in the regulated market.
- Acted for Canadian Solar Group in a corporate reorganisation and subsequent sale of its 80% interest in a 482.6MWp portfolio of contracted solar projects in Brazil.
Ulhôa Canto, Rezende e Guerra Advogados is at the forefront of the Brazilian power market, possessing a strong track record in all segments of the sector, covering distribution, transmission, generation and trading. The practice stands out for its regulatory expertise but is also well versed in M&A transactions, project finance, as well as arbitration, administrative proceedings and judicial litigation. Negotiating EPC agreements and assisting clients in relation to power generation and transmission auctions are other areas of activity for the team, which also fields strength in tax-related matters and renewable energy issues, namely wind and solar power. Department head Isabel Lustosa is recognised for her longstanding experience assisting utilities, generation companies and sponsors in the power sector. Alberto Büll da Silva has advised on several transactions involving renewable energy.
‘Ulhôa Canto’s energy team provides excellent legal services. They have great knowledge of the sector and are always available.’
‘Isabel Lustosa, the partner responsible for the energy sector, has deep knowledge of the sector and provides accurate advice. Sofia Barbosa is a rising star.’
Brookfield Renewable Energy
EDP – Energias do Brasil
- Retained by Energética Águas da Pedra to discuss before ANEEL the transfer of HPP Dardanelos’ restricted interest transmission facilities to the transmission company Empresa Brasileira de Transmissão de Energia.
- Provided legal assistance to Pátria regarding the due diligence and review of the legal and regulatory aspects related to its acquisition of a 420MW solar power project.
- Represented CELG Distribuição in the filing of an administrative appeal against a notice of infraction that imposed a R$62m fine against the client.
- Provided a legal opinion to EDP- Energias do Brasil on whether tax credits should be passed through to free consumers who do not purchase energy from the distribution company.
- Assisted Anglo American Níquel Brasil in the drafting and negotiation of two long-term power purchase agreements (PPAs) necessary for its mining structures.
The broad service offering at Veirano Advogados covers both transactional and regulatory advice. The team is adept at assisting with regulatory issues arising from project development, as well as financing matters, M&A and power purchase agreements. Other areas of activity include litigation involving the power sector before arbitral, administrative and judicial courts. Renewable energy is a key area of focus, spanning biomass, wind and solar power. Tiago Figueiró focuses on regulatory matters and asset transactions in the electricity sector. Ana Carolina Barretto leads on project-related work, while Pedro Freitas is experienced in M&A and infrastructure.
‘The team is very business-oriented.’
‘Strength in a number of different areas including power, competition and corporate, with some very strong individuals in all fields.’
‘Tiago Figueiró is an excellent specialist in the power field, pragmatic and knowledgeable.’
Atlas Renewable Energy
BP – British Petroleum
Comgás – Companhia de Gás de São Paulo
Shell Brasil Petroleo Ltda.
CNPC International Ltd. (CNPC)
Global Power Generation (Naturgy Group)
State Grid Corporation of China
Vestas Wind Systems AS
Enel Distribuição São Paulo
- Acted as legal counsel to Engie in connection with the acquisition of Sterlite Novo Estado Energia, a power transmission company holding a greenfield transmission project.
- Representing Enel Distribuição São Paulo in 15 lawsuits filed against municipalities in the distribution concession area in order to enforce the mandatory transfer of street lighting equipment from Enel to the applicable municipalities.
- Advising Shell Gas BV in the development of the Marlim Azul Project – a greenfield 565.5MW gas-fired thermal power plant located in Macaé, in the State of Rio de Janeiro.
- Providing legal advice to Nordex Acciona on the negotiations of a direct agreement to be executed between Acciona, three financial institutions and the SPVs, which are the owners of Santa Victoria wind farm clusters, in the context of certain services provided by Acciona.