CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz D.O.O. in cooperation with local lawyers is highlighted for its 'energy and enthusiasm', and handles a wide variety of complex mandates for clients in the energy, infrastructure and life sciences sectors. Practice head Nedžida Salihović-Whalen advises both local and foreign clients on regulatory and compliance work. The group has a wide international reach and is able to handle significant cross-border transactions, which are led by Indir Osmić. Senior associate Ana Terzić is recommended for her experience of advising German-speaking clients.
Projects and energy in Bosnia & Herzegovina
Other key lawyers:
Indir Osmić; Ana Terzić
‘Balanced and young team that brings its energy and enthusiasm in an attempt to materialize extensive experience of team’
‘Experience coupled with open, professional but passionate and workaholic nature of the partner Mrs. Nedžida’
Finish Fund for Industrial Cooperation Ltd (FINNFUND) and KPA UNICON GROUP
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Nordic Power Partners
PCC DEG Renewables GmbH
Scholz International GmbH
CONTAINEX Container-Handelsgesellschaft m.b.H.- (WALTER GROUP company)
HETTA ASSET RESOLUTION AG
- Advising a prominent group of companies which are shareholders of a JV (a renewable waste to energy power plant) with a major steel producer in BiH (includes various regulatory and corporate advice) on the building of renewable power plant.
- Advising the EBRD on all aspects of the financing of the EBRD-Regional Energy Efficiency Programme (REEP) that supports energy efficiency in the Western Balkan countries with the public sector.
Dimitrijević & Partners, Advokatsko o.d. Banjaluka's team attracts praise from clients for its 'excellence and knowledge' of projects, which are particularly evident in the energy and infrastructure (particularly roads and railways) sectors. Davorin Marinković and Stevan Dimitrijevic jointly lead the team, which acts for clients in disputes and also excels in handling the non-contentious aspects of landmark and high-profile projects in Bosnia and further afield in South Eastern Europe. The firm works on a cross-border basis with it being a part of the South East Legal Alliance. Nikola Markocevic is another member of the core team.
Stevan Dimitrijević; Davorin Marinković
Other key lawyers:
‘Great firm, very skillful and all-time available ’
‘Very familiar with the energy sector in BiH. Mr. Davorin Marinkovic very skillful and available all time.’
‘Excellence, knowledge, availability’
‘Knowledge and availability’
Energy Eastern Europe Hydro Power GmbH, Austria
Linklaters Beijing – China Development Bank Corporation, China
OHL Z.S. Brno, Czech Republic
Brcko Roads, Brcko District
Highways of the Republic of Srpska, Banjaluka
WindVision, Maastricht, Netherlands
German International Cooperation Agency GmbH (GIZ)
Petrol, Slovenska energetska družba d.d. Ljubljana
Elektroprivreda Republike Srpske
- Advising Aspiravi on the acquisition of a local SPV holding a concession for 65 MW wind farm in Livno Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Advising Elektroprivreda Republike Srpske (state-owned power utility) on joint ventures and concessions for the development of new power plants.
Law Office Miljkovic & Partners' highly-reputed projects practice is noted for its strong track record in renewable energy sector mandates, particularly those involving contentious issues. Team head Sead Miljković advises both local and international energy companies on all aspects of commercial and regulatory law matters, while experienced practitioner Amar Bajramović handles public procurement work. In one highlight, the group acted for an energy sector client in an ICC arbitration case.
Other key lawyers:
- Advising wpd Adria d.o.o. in the course of due diligence of a local company, developer of the wind park in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Advising a client on acquisition of a local company that develops two wind parks (each 25mw)
- Representing JP Ceste before the court in several high value disputes arising out of FIDIC based contracts.
Wolf Theiss - in cooperation with local lawyers demonstrates strong capabilities in high-value projects and large-scale transactions in the renewable energy sector. Practice head and managing partner Naida Čustović works closely with other practitioners across the firm's thirteen offices in the CEE region on high-value cross-border matters pertaining to project finance. Nikolaus Paul in Vienna is a key contact. On the corporate side, counsel Lana Sarajlić handles corporate transactions for domestic clients, notably healthcare sector clients. The group also handles contentious work.
Other key lawyers:
APS Recovery Management s.r.o.
AFINUM Management GmbH
Eli Lilly B-H d.o.o.
Lexmark BH d.o.o.
Addiko banka d.d. Sarajevo
Addiko banka a.d. Banja Luka
Raiffeisen Landesbank, Austria
Raiffeisen Bank International
Keune Adrija BiH
Dinners club. BiH
Erste Club Card
Sparkasse Bank BH d.d.
B-One Solutions d.o.o.
Unicredit bank Mostar d.d.
Nishimura & Asahi
Unis Fagas d.o.o.
- Advising SUZLON Wind Energy BH d.o.o. on the development of a 25 MW WPP located in the vicinity of the BiH capital.
Karanovic & Partners in cooperation with local lawyers focuses on renewable energy and infrastructure mandates for local and international clients operating in the domestic market. Spread between the Sarajevo and Banja Luka offices, the group is led by Nihad Sijerčić, and handles complex advisory work on regulatory issues, utilities and power projects. Energy-related corporate transactions are acted on by Amina Đugum, who also advises foreign investors on project finance matters. The team works cross-border with its CEE alliance.
Other key lawyers:
- Advised Addiko Group on the IPO on the Vienna Stock Exchange.
- Advising Energy Danmark on its entry to the Bosnian market, and overall licensing and regulatory requirements related to electricity trading.
- Advised ArcelorMittal Zenica, a member of ArcelorMittal Group and the major producer of long steel products in the Balkan region.
Maric & Co Law Firm is 'knowledgeable, cooperative and professional' according to clients, and is a key name in renewable energy and infrastructure projects. Its projects team works across practice areas to advise public and private sector clients on a wide variety of issues, including finance, regulatory, real estate and construction, tax and disputes. Slaven Dizdar, who leads the team, advises on high-value transactions and construction projects. Managing partner Branko Marić advises financial institutions on banking-related work.
Other key lawyers:
‘We have worked with the team on a few projects during the last period. The team is knowledgeable, cooperative and professional. It delivers on time.’
‘We have mainly worked with Slaven Dizdar and can only praise his competence on one side, but also friendly approach on the other. It is my impression that Slaven is proactive and aims at providing efficient advice to the client, seeking the solution rather than just pointing to the problems.’
Public Company Elektroprivreda BiH JSC
Suzlon Wind Energy A/S Denmark
InterEnergo Group Slovenia / Kelag Group Austria
Kolektor Group Slovenia
Adriatic Metals PLC
- Advising Shandong International and its Bosnian subsidiary SDHS-CSI BH Banja Luka on the Banja Luka-Prijedor-Novi Grad highway construction project.
- Advising the Public Company Elektroprivreda BiH JSC on the construction of Block 7 of the Tuzla Thermoelectric Power Plant, the single biggest and most valuable project in post-war history of Bosnia & Herzegovina, valued at over €750m.
- Advising EBRD in relation to six loans to local banks Bosnia & Herzegovina, as well as a loan granted to a subsidiary of AS Holding, the biggest food producer, and retailer in BH.
Moravcevic Vojnovic and Partners in cooperation with Schoenherr
At Moravcevic Vojnovic and Partners in cooperation with Schoenherr, the projects and energy team handles mid to high-value infrastructure matters for a mix of local and regional clients operating in Bosnia. Minela Šehović in Sarajevo assists regional and global companies with gaining entry into the market in Bosnia, as well as general corporate work and merger control. Elsewhere, practice head Matija Vojnovic in Belgrade is noted for energy-related litigation and build-operate-transfer (BOT) projects. The group is able to leverage its network to handle work across the region.
Other key lawyers:
Bojan Rajić; Minela Šehović
‘They did an amazing job and helped us a lot. The quality of their work was excellent, not only technically, but also from a business point of view. They are well experienced and have a profound knowledge of all aspects of law, not only in Bosnia, then in the entire Balkan region. Their main strength is their cooperation with the other offices, that enables them to always provide and cover different aspects of the matter and they always deliver important recommendations regarding how to complete matters in the most efficient way.’
‘Bojan Rajic is a highly skilled lawyer related to all aspects of the real estate business. He has deep knowledge of real estate laws and a very solution-oriented approach. I really appreciate his quick reaction and delivering the work on time. Matija Vojnovic is a high-quality lawyer, with over 15 years of experience within all the aspects of law in the region. Matija is well known for his numerous energy projects in the country, as well as for advising on corporate matters. He always has a solution and brings the answers to our business, does not matter how complex the issue is. I really enjoy working with him. Minela Sehovic is very reliable, precise and very client oriented. She sees the whole picture and she did very well in explaining and communicating in a simple way. With great organization skills and practical approach, she did an amazing job in incredibly short deadlines.’
‘Excellent service, short reaction times, always well informed, excellent strategic partner’
‘Minela Sehovic has been my main point of contact. She has always performed all services to our utmost satisfaction. Excellent team, great knowledge’
‘Exceptional practice with one of a kind expertise. They have vast experience and, since they have worked on so many complex projects, they accumulated knowledge that is rarely seen on the market.’
‘I work with Matija Vojnovic, Bojan Rajic and Minela Sehovic. Matija understands both legal and business side of any projects, which is largely appreciated. He is extremely creative lawyer and with him you simply know you are in good hands. He has advised on numerous energy projects in the country and understands this area exceptionally well. A true pleasure to work with. Definitely one of the best energy lawyers in the country. Bojan is an excellent lawyer, very capable, responsive, and reliable. Minela is hard working and smart lawyer who takes time to understand each issue we might have and has can-do attitude which we appreciate.’
‘Schoenherr is highly regarded in the market and I would say one of the best law firms in the region with highly specialized lawyers for different aspects of the law. They have been working for us for years now, advising on many major infrastructure and energy projects in the country. My impression is that they have an amazing international experience and know the industry very well. Also, their client service is on a very high level, they are very responsive and always available to us.’
‘Matija Vojnovic is one of the best energy and corporate lawyers in the country and wider. He is well recognized for advising on multi-jurisdictional mandates from across a wide array of industry sectors in the region. His negotiation and communication skills are amazing, he gives the impression that he has everything under control.’
Hidroelektrana Dabar d.o.o. Trebinje
Azvirt Limited Liability Company
- Advising Elektroprivreda Srbije on the construction of three hydro plants on the river Drina: HE Foča, HE Buk Bijela and HE Paunci (Project HES Gornja Drina valued approx. EUR 422 million).
- Advising Hidroelektrana Dabar on the public procurement proceedings associated with the construction of three hydro plants on the river Trebisnjica: HE Nevesinje, HE Dabar and HE Bileca.
- Advising Azvirt on the construction of a motorway on Corridor Vc, section Poprikuse-Zenica North (Gornja Grecenica).
Law firm SAJIC
The projects team at Law firm SAJIC has a strong track record in projects in the telecoms sector, where it acts for local and international clients. It also advises on a wide range of matters in the renewable energy and electricity sectors; the scope of its expertise in this space includes project finance, project development, operation and maintenance, off-take arrangements and regulatory issues. Aleksandar Sajić co-heads the practice with Tijana Kondic, who is the key name for corporate energy-related transactions and litigation.
Aleksandar Sajić; Tijana Kondic
Del Mestri, Banja Luka
- Advised Del Mestri on the establishment of the first private elementary school in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Assisted Interenergo Slovenia with the potential purchase of a company engaged in the production of electricity by conversion of wind into electricity – wind power plant at the Vlasic plateau site.
- Representing Elektroprenos BIH in the process following the lawsuit by Elektroprivreda HZHB Mostar for payment of investments in Elektroprenos BH.