Real estate and construction in Belarus
Leveraging its close co-operation with offices located across the CIS region, the team at Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners is best placed to advise major multi-jurisdictional real estate mandates. On the transactional side, the group assists with legal, financial and tax structuring, as well as advising on assignment and lease of structures. Practice head Dennis Turovets is supported by senior associate Igor Yatskovsky, who is instructed by both public and private entities to handle PPP project work and contentious mandates.
Other key lawyers:
Alvora UAB (vs. Sodrugestvo)
Alvora UAB (vs. Reztsoff)
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) (M10-road reconstruction project)
LLC “KNAUF GIPS” (Russia) Knauf International GmbH (Germany)
- Represented Alvora UAB in a number of disputes associated with various aspects of the construction, commissioning and start-up of an agricultural complex.
- Advising the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development on preparations for the implementation of a PPP project to upgrade a section of international transport corridor, the M10 road.
- Advising the subsidiaries of the Knauf Group on the transfer of manufacture from central Minsk to the suburbs.
REVERA is known for its longstanding involvement with the most complex and high-value investment projects in Belarus; Dmitry Arkhipenko and lead associate Aliaksander Antonau remain key contacts for such work, with the latter focusing particularly on greenfield and brownfield projects. Counsel Anna Aniskevich, who was recently promoted to practice head, advises on all issues concerning construction and real estate work in Belarus, including structuring financial flows, resolving disputes and negotiating contracts. For transactional matters with a nexus to real estate, lead associate Aleksandr Shtrikul is the name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Dmitry Arkhipenko; Aliaksander Antonau; Aleksandr Shtrikul
REDPATH DEILMANN GmbH
- Advising German contractor Redpath Deilmann on entering the Belarusian construction market, including assisting with a $2bn mining project.
- Advising Polish construction company Unibep on a number of investment projects in Belarus.
- Developing legal strategy for Aecom in an action concerning collection of penalties for unsatisfactory provision of services, following the construction of the Gazprom centre in Minsk.
Sellers, purchasers, developers, investors, contractors and owners alike instruct the group at Sorainen, which is particularly valued for its industry expertise and its ability to 'speak the same language as the client'. Areas of particular strength for the practice include advising on property law issues, especially those affecting clients from the hotel and retail sectors, and assisting with commercial property development. On the transactional side, the team handles due diligence and asset transfers. Practice head Kiryl Apanasevich 'easily manages large-scale construction projects and always finds smart decisions'.
‘I would definitely describe the partner Kiryl Apanasevich and his team as highly professional advisers. Kiryl is a standout practitioner that easily manages large-scale construction projects and always finds smart decisions.’
‘The team demonstrates full understanding of construction business and they speak the same language as the client.’
‘Sorainen is our reliable partner already for 5 years and we can trust them with solving any legal issues we have. In my opinion there is no other law firm on the Belarusian market that would combine a professional European client approach, huge international experience and would have such a respect toward client’s time and deadlines.’
‘Very client oriented and responsive team of professionals.’
‘The team shows professionalism ad strong commercial knowledge.’
‘Provide very thoughtful and thorough analysis with practical business solutions.’
‘Kiryl Apanasevich provides great customer service as well as high level professional advice with a commercial background.’
Glera Market / MartInn Food
European Bank of Reconstruction and Development
Rizzani De Echer S.p.A
- Advised Mozyr Timbermill on its acquisition of property and land, as well as on the conclusion of an investment agreement with the Republic of Belarus for the development of a new wood-processing factory.
- Assisted Hesburger with its acquisition of the properties for the development of four restaurants in Minsk, Brest, Bobrujsk and Fanipol.
- Advised the China Merchants Group on the development of an international exhibition centre on the territory of the China-Belarus Industrial Park.
Verkhovodko & Partners LLC
The offering at Verkhovodko & Partners LLC has long been involved with some of the most notable and innovative projects in Belarus, including advising on the construction of the first nuclear power plant, which triggered more than $10bn in investments. It advises on the construction, design, asset management, sale, lease and purchase issues concerning estate in a variety of industries, including oil, gas, energy, utilities and infrastructure. Dmitry Bokhan and Nina Knyazeva oversee the bulk of work handled, with the latter advising on complex domestic and cross-border transactions. Attorney Ksenia Zhukovskaya is noted for her litigious expertise.
Dmitry Bokhan; Nina Knyazeva
Other key lawyers:
‘The team was strongly professional. They helped us to solve all our disputes – all cases were won.’
A1 Telekom Austria Group
Minsk National Airport
BelFoodService LLC (a franchisee of the KFC brand in Belarus)
Mercedes-Benz Leasing GmbH
Zeppelin Weissrussland, a local subsidiary of Zeppelin International AG
- Advised MMPZ-group on the construction of the first electrolytic tinplate and cold-rolled steel production facility in the Republic of Belarus.
- Advised Zhdanovichi Shopping Centre on the implementation of an investment project with Leroy Merlin, pursuant to which the client undertook to build a supermarket for Leroy Merlin.
- Assisted Sberbank Capital with the implementation of an investment project concerning the construction of a multifunctional complex in the centre of the country’s capital.
A close relationship with key state players, such as the Ministry of Architecture and Construction, differentiates the offering at VMP Vlasova Mikhel & Partners. The team regularly advises investors on the successful conclusion of agreements, including those concerning PPP projects, with the Republic of Belarus. It is also involved with working groups created by the Ministry of Justice, the Ministry of Architecture and Construction, and a number of other governmental bodies. The practice is headed up by Ekaterina Zabello, and also includes senior associate Yuliya Liashenko who has extensive transactional expertise.
Other key lawyers:
‘They gave us on-time and accurate response to our inquiries.’
‘Yuliya Liashenko elaborated the memorandum and responded accurately and in a timely manner when I asked for clarifications.’
Royal Group Companies Management LLC
GCM Global Energy Plc
American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee
- Advising the Royal Group Companies Management on the construction of a multifunctional complex in the historical centre of Minsk.
- Advising GCM Global Energy on an investment project concerning the construction of a potash mining and processing plant in Belarus.
- Assisting Turkish retailer Waikiki with the development of a retail chain in Belarus.
Arzinger Law Offices
The group at Arzinger Law Offices is known for advising state organisations on the construction of major plants and factories; it also has 'wide experience in litigation' which the team regularly handles projects that are behind schedule due to contractors’ unfair business practices and has experience of resolving construction disputes before courts and arbitral bodies. 'High level specialist' Julia Mironchik and managing partner Sergey Mashonsky are names to note, as is Elena Mashonskaya who is singled out as 'one of the leaders in construction matters'.
Other key lawyers:
Sergey Mashonsky; Julia Mironchik
‘We found the cooperation with this practice at Arzinger smooth and professional. The main strength is the ability to evaluate the legal risks: not to exaggerate the problems and identify only real and down-to-earth risks.’
‘From our point of view Elena Mashonskaya is one of the leaders in construction matters in the market. She has considerable experience in supporting various construction projects from the moment of obtaining necessary permissions and certificates up to possible disputes, which was extremely useful during the work.’
‘Julia Mironchik is also a high level specialist in all construction issues. She is able to find the most favourable option how to continue the work in the most efficient way. Her analytical and risk-evaluating skills were useful during the project.’
‘The firm shows very deep knowledge of real estate law and its practice, gives sharp and practical advice and has wide experience in litigation in this area.’
Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment of the Republic of Belarus
Embassy of Poland
Svetlogorsk Pulp and Board Plant
- Advised the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment of the Republic of Belarus on an international project relating to wind power development in Belarus.
- Advised the Adani Group on the possibilities and risks related to the construction of a new facility in the Free Economic Zone.
- Assisted Unibep with the operational launch and modernisation of a number of buildings and facilities.
Borovtsov & Salei
Borovtsov & Salei's recent mandates saw the team advising on some of the largest commercial developments in Minsk. Managing partner Vassili Salei advises both local and global companies on complex and high-value construction matters. Senior associate Nikolay Artemyev has particular expertise in project finance, and focuses on assisting with investment issues and PPP projects; he is noted for his skill in 'explaining the not-so-easy structure of Belarusian laws'.
Other key lawyers:
‘We mainly worked with Nikolay Artemyev and he did a good job in explaining the not-so-easy structure of Belarusian laws.’
SINOHYDRO BUREAU 9 CO., LTD, a subsidiary of Power Construction Corporation of China
RRY Capital (USA)
Franck Muller, Minsk Watch Plant
Clean Energy Group
- Advising SEW-Eurodrive on a number of real estate and construction matters, including assisting with the acquisition of a plot of land from the government as well as advising on a turnkey construction project.
- Advising the Minsk Watch Plant on the full range of legal issues related to the construction of a new production facility in Minsk.
- Advising private investor RRY Capital on the full range of legal issues related to the final stage of the construction of a business centre in downtown Minsk.
SBH Law Office
The 'dedicated and remarkable' team at SBH Law Office, led by real estate and construction expert Alexander Filipishin, is able to 'put excellent knowledge of multinational construction projects on full display'. It stands out for its 'deep expertise in regulatory work in combination with unique experience of representing clients in court'. For litigious work, disputes specialist Timour Sysouev is the key contact. Anastasiya Malakhova and Alexander Bondar leverage their corporate experience when advising on investment and contract issues.
Other key lawyers:
Anastasiya Malakhova; Alexander Bondar; Timour Sysouev
‘The firm has a dedicated and remarkable team and they are experienced in providing any kind of services related to construction projects.’
‘Alexander Bondar possesses excellent communication skills. He has obtained rich experience and excellent understanding of clients’
‘Deep expertise in regulatory work in combination with unique experience of representing clients in court on real estate and construction disputes.’
‘SBH Law Office is a great law firm, we are extremely satisfied with the service received. The team really cares about their clients. SBH Law Office has a great experience in the implementation of FIDIC contacts. The employees fully understand the difficulties of construction projects from the point of view of all participants and at all stages. So they can anticipate and prevent some controversial issues. Timour Sysouev and Alexander Filipishin provide excellent services and put their excellent knowledge of multinational construction projects on the full display.’
‘Timour Sysouev and Alexander Filipishin are helpful and responsive to all our questions and concerns. They always make sure that we are well informed with everything and if we have questions we never wait longer than 24 hours for an answer. Alexander Filipishin is well known as one of the best lawyers in the field of construction and real estate in Belarus, and he has demonstrated a comprehensive approach to solving tasks.’
‘Timour Sysouev has a strategic view of the case and a deep understanding of the client’s needs.’
‘The team is well balanced. The firm has different departments which work in full synergy with each other.’
‘These specialists know their work well and treat it with full dedication. They are always in touch. We quickly received comprehensive answers to any legal questions that arise during the implementation of our construction investment project in Belarus. Timour Sysouev is a highly qualified specialist in litigation with exceptional professional level and high qualification. He is able to combine deep theoretical knowledge and impressive experience. Alexander Filipishin is highly professional and has excellent knowledge in the field of construction and engendering.’
Falcon Investment Company (Qatar Sovereign Fund)
Trojan General Contracting (UAE)
City Capital Group (Ukraine)
CC Alta Ukraine (Ukraine)
Minsk water supplier (Minskvodokanal)
Press Fire Games LLC (previously registered as Blitz Team LLC)
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
- Handling all the legal assignments outsourced by the Falcon Investment Company, including all contract drafting and construction issues, as well as representing the client before IAC at the BelCCI in several claims relating to bankruptcy proceedings.
- Advising Minskvodokanal on the implementation of the government program concerning the renovation of the water treatment system in Minsk.
- Advising the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development on several investment projects concerning the Sodrugestvo Group.
BusinessAdvisers Law & Tax Firm LLC
BusinessAdvisers Law & Tax Firm LLC's offering combines 'strong expertise in construction and energy projects' with 'unique experience with Chinese clients'. The firm advises at all stages of project development, from negotiations and documentation approval to post-commissioning issues. Practice head Anatoly Rozhkov is an 'iconic figure' who stands out for his 'skills of negotiation with government bodies'.
‘They have a strong expertise in construction and energy projects. They have unique experience with Chinese clients.’
‘We are impressed by the level of knowledge of Anatoly Rozhkov in the field of construction law and his skills of negotiation with government bodies of the Republic of Belarus. He’s the best lawyer we could find.’
‘Managing Partner Anatoly Rozhkov is an iconic figure in the field of project finance in major construction projects. He is very responsible and experienced.’
‘A confident and good law firm.’
‘The firm perfectly understands our work, knows the law well and is always motivated to achieve results.’
‘Very professional team. They do the job accurately and on time.’
‘Anatoly Rozhkov is an expert in our construction issues. He works for the result and is a great person in communication.’
‘Anatoly Rozhkov is in touch with us 24/7. We have developed a trusting relationship, he is always ready to quickly answer our questions. A young and expert team does an excellent job with our projects.’
Open joint stock company “Road construction trust No. 2, Gomel» Holding Belavtodor
Tecnimont S.p.A./AG Partners
Rizzani De Eccher S.p.A./Codest S.l.r.
Private Joint Stock Company Severodonetsk ORGHIM, Ukraine
Jebel Real Estate LLC
Vistar Energetics Technology GmBH
- Obtained construction and design certification for a new complex intended to produce nitrogen fertilisers on behalf of Tecnimont.
- Assisted with the preparation and conclusion of a general contract for Litana-BelStroy for the construction of the first DIY-hypermarket of the world-famous chain Leroy Merlin in Belarus.
- Advised Colliers International on attracting investments of more than $50m and preparing an EPC contract for the construction of a hotel in Minsk.
Experienced real estate and construction specialists Maxim Lashkevich and Dmitry Viltovsky jointly lead the team at GRATA International; the former shows 'deepest knowledge of national law' while the latter 'possesses legal intuition and professional excellence, especially in reasoned negotiations with state authorities'. Its wide practice spans the full range of legal support relating to both real estate transactions, and construction and investment projects.
Maxim Lashkevich; Dmitry Viltovsky
‘Maxim Lashkevich has extensive experience on the issues of land law, construction, supporting of transactions with real estate property. He shows the deepest knowledge of national law and his ability to put it into practice.’
‘Dmitry Viltovsky possesses legal intuition and professional excellence, especially in reasoned negotiations with state authorities.’
‘They handled the transaction perfectly. There were no mistakes, no delays, no questions. Everything was done.’
‘Dmitry Viltovsky and Maxim Lashkevich with their professional team are able to find solutions for our business, taking into account all possible risks for certain legal solutions.’
‘Very responsive law firm. Excellent teamwork. They work to know clients and effectively communicate advice.’
‘It is a highly-motivated, well-coordinated team, they work quickly and know foreign languages.’
‘We consider GRATA International Belarus the best solution for the business. The GRATA International team understands the key business issues and trends, and they have well-established channels for addressing complex issues. Maxim Lashkevich demonstrated exceptional institutional knowledge of the real estate and construction field; strong negotiation skills; attention to detail; he was smart and practical.’
‘GRATA’s experts possess excellent communication skills and the ability to determine precisely the main problems and strategy in resolving these problems, ensuring for clients the best possible results.’
PP Polesie JV, Ltd.
- Advising Latvian investment fund Primo Invest on several construction projects in Belarus.
- Assisted A-Modulstroy-1 with the acquisition of some real estate from a bankrupt company.
- Advising Belelectromontazhnaladka on possible ways of transferring part of a land plot, with facilities located on it, from a state enterprise to the client without holding an auction or other similar procedure.
Practitioners at Stepanovski, Papakul and partners bring a 'complex approach' to the transactional work which is the cornerstone of its practice; it counts developers, engineering, architecture and construction companies, international financial organisations, and private entities as key clients which it advises on acquiring real estate properties. Practice head Dmitry Kovalchik is noted for his 'strong negotiation skills' and his ability to 'make a strategic decision'. Attorney Yaraslau Halenchyk is 'always ready to offer a practical solution'.
Other key lawyers:
‘Attorneys of the practice use a complex approach to each project or transaction and are ready to offer the most effective and safe solution in each case. Their advice is always business-oriented and covers all tax and legal aspects.’
‘Dmitry Kovalchik has strong negotiation skills and a wealth of expertise in the real estate sector. Dmitry is a person that you can always call if you need to make a strategic decision on a real estate transaction or investment.’
‘Yaraslau Halenchyk is stress-resistant, responsible and is always ready to offer a practical solution.’
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Synevo / Medicover
- Advised H&M on its entry into the Belarusian market and the construction of a number of retail stores in the prominent shopping centres of Minsk.
- Advised Rietumu Bank on a number of trade and project financing issues and mortgage transactions in Belarus.
- Advised Mega Park shopping mall on a lease transaction, which concerned 5400 square metres of retail space, with the international fashion retailer LPP Group.