The team at Borovtsov & Salei continues to stand out for its ability to provide 'effective and reasonable solutions' to an enviable roster of global clients. Managing partners Vassili Salei and Alexander Botian supply investment and banking expertise, respectively. For general commercial advice, Lada Maisenia and Nadia Znak are the key contacts. Senior associate Illia Salei focuses on assisting international law firms with the implementation of their clients’ projects in Belarus. The firm is increasingly focused on handling M&A deals on behalf of corporations from the IT, manufacturing and finance sectors.
Commercial, corporate and M&A in Belarus
Borovtsov & Salei
Vassili Salei; Lada Maisenia; Nadia Znak
Other key lawyers:
Illia Salei; Alexander Botian
‘We loved the speed of response and the effective, reasonable solutions offered by the firm. We knew what to expect and what not from the very beginning and they did not let us down.’
Embraer S.A. (Brazil)
OBO Bettermann LLC
Forex Club LLC
Visa Inc. (USA)
Viktar Babaryka (former Chairman of Belgazprombank, OJSC)
Gizeh Dispoform Sp. Z O.o.
Association of International Pharmaceutical Manufacturers
RRY Capital (USA)
Franck Muller, Minsk Watch Plant
Cisco Systems, Inc.
- Advised presidential candidate Viktar Babaryka on corporate law issues during the election campaign for the President of the Republic of Belarus.
- Advising RRY Capital on the full range of legal issues relating to the construction of a large iFLY indoor skydiving venue.
- Advising SEW-Eurodrive, a major German industrial company, and its Belarusian subsidiary on various corporate and commercial matters due to the expansion of the production facility on the territory of the Free Economic Zone.
REVERA fields a strong and specialised corporate team, which is instructed by clients from the full gamut of industry sectors. Helen Mourashko advises on a wide range of issues which arise during complex cross-border transactions, focusing particularly on domestic and international IT companies; the technology sector is also a key one for Anna Solovei. Ekaterina Pedo is known for supporting projects for the creation of joint ventures, and for assisting owners with business management issues. Corporate restructuring matters are a core area of specialism for Dmitry Zikratski.
Other key lawyers:
Helen Mourashko; Dmitry Zikratski; Anna Solovei
Syngenta Agro AG
REDPATH DEILMANN GmbH
BAUER TECHNICS s.a.
ParfumBytKhim (Mila chain)
Ericsson Nikola Tesla d.d.
- Supporting a transaction in the e-commerce industry between 21vek.by and Zubr Capital.
- Assisting the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and Zubr Capital with an investment into the business of a major Belarusian cosmetics and household goods distributor.
- Advising the Belarusian National Biotechnology Corporation on a $600m investment project concerning the construction of an agricultural complex.
At Sorainen, Alexey Anischenko heads up the commercial and regulatory group while Maksim Salahub leads the corporate and M&A team. The firm continues to grow its enviable client base, and is increasingly receiving new instructions from international companies, particularly those from the automotive sector. The life sciences industry is also a key source of work for the practice; senior associate Marina Golovnitskaya is the specialist in this area. Managing partner Kiryl Apanasevich is the name to note for real estate transactions. Senior associates Viktoryia Mikhnevich and Kirill Laptev are recommended for their expertise in start-ups and IT-related projects, respectively.
Alexey Anischenko; Maksim Salahub; Kiryl Apanasevich
Other key lawyers:
Viktoryia Mikhnevich; Kirill Laptev; Marina Golovnitskaya
‘Marina Golovnitskaya is very supportive, knows the industry, is ready to walk the extra mile to add value.‘
Deutsche Investitions- und Entwicklungsgesellschaft (DEG)
Shaanxi Fast Gear
Data Delivery (RocketData)
EBRD (European Bank for Reconstruction and Development)
SIKA Bel LLC
- Assisted Deutsche Investitions- und Entwicklungsgesellschaft with the acquisition of shares in Belgips, the only Belarusian manufacturer of gypsum-based building materials.
- Advised Data Delivery, the developer of the RocketData.io platform for managing online data, on implementing share options for employees under the special regime of the High-Tech Park.
- Advised Coople UK on the establishment of a local R&D centre.
Verkhovodko & Partners LLC
Practitioners at Verkhovodko & Partners LLC 'take into consideration not only legal, but also business nuances' when advising clients on the tax implications and foreign currency risks of cross-border transactions and corporate activities in the CIS region, Europe, the US, Asia and the Middle East. 'Excellent partner' Dmitry Bokhan regularly assists with the largest investment initiatives across a wide range of sectors. Complex business structures and shareholder issues are a core focus for Sergey Khromov. 'Diligent and business-oriented' practitioner Nina Knyazeva is 'extremely skilful in the field of domestic and international M&A'.
Dmitry Bokhan; Sergey Khromov
Other key lawyers:
‘The practice is business-oriented to the highest extent. The lawyers take into consideration not only legal, but also business nuances and provide the solution, which meets the requirements of business. It has assisted many of the largest and well-publicized investment initiatives across a full range of sectors.’
‘Nina Knyazeva is a diligent and business-oriented lawyer, who understands the reality of law enforcement practice in Belarus and helps to eliminate risks that are not evident. She is extremely skilful in the field of domestic and international M&A.’
‘Dmitry Bokhan is a highly professional adviser in many spheres such as commercial, tax and corporate law. An excellent partner who is really supportive.’
‘In my opinion, Verkhovodko & Partners are exceptional in their commercial, corporate and M&A practice. There are no matters which could not be settled by them. They enjoy complicated tasks.’
‘Lawyers from Verkhovodko & Partners always find the best solution to the most complicated corporate issues. They are able to structure M&A deals most efficiently, as well as to adjust core business arrangements into the deal structure.’
‘Verkhovodko & Partners is a brilliant team of highly qualified professionals, who are 24/7 ready to support our company with any matters or problems. Moreover, the team is close-knit. In a complex matter, every member of the team is responsible for their own scope of work, which allows them in the best possible way to represent our company’s interests in every sphere. In addition, if an issue is beyond the specialty of one of the lawyers, the involvement of other lawyers of the team guarantees the timely and proper performance of the assignment.’
‘Nina Knyazeva was able to advise our company on all sorts of commercial and corporate issues, which are beyond the ordinary. She was able to find the most appropriate and effective solutions.’
‘I have been working with Dmitry Bokhan for over a decade, and, in my opinion, he is the best commercial lawyer in Belarus. He always knows how to improve your business not only from a legal perspective, but from a commercial and financial as well. He always looks into the problem comprehensively and from different perspectives. Nina Knyazeva proved to be a very efficient, professional lawyer, who understands the concepts and legal principles of English law, and knows how to use, implement and adjust them to Belarusian law in multi-jurisdictional projects.’
A1 (Unitary Enterprise A1)
BelFoodService, a franchisee of KFC restaurants in the Republic of Belarus
Mercedes-Benz Leasing GmbH
- Drafting the Cape Town Convention Compliance Index, which is concerned with providing information relating to the implementation of, and compliance with, the 2011 Cape Town Convention and its Aircraft Protocol.
- Assisting EPAM Systems with its acquisition of three separate IT businesses, operating in approximately 10 jurisdictions.
- Assisted Magic Catering with all legal issues relating to the client’s position as as the exclusive catering company for the II European Games 2019.
Practitioners at Aleinikov & Partners are noted for their 'high-level expertise, responsible approach and pro-activity'. The firm advises many leading domestic IT companies and frequently acts as a local counsel for cross-border M&A deals. Senior associate Anna Tsymbalist leverages her 'highly diverse professional knowledge' to advise on complex restructurings, and is praised as 'super smart and proactive'. Dmitry Matveyev is also singled out for his 'outstanding industry knowledge'. Matveyev counts the Development Bank of the Republic of Belarus as one of his key clients.
Other key lawyers:
‘During the years of our cooperation with A&P law firm, we have witnessed the high-level expertise, responsible approach and pro-activity of their lawyers. They handle any type of legal issues promptly, being attentive to the needs of the client.’
‘Senior associate Anna Tsymbalist is super smart and proactive. She has highly diverse professional knowledge. Anna showed meticulousness about every single piece of the deal process.‘
‘The team constantly shows dedication to the client’s business and short response time.’
‘Dmitry Matveyev has outstanding industry knowledge. Anna Tsymbalist has in-depth knowledge in the field.’
‘True M&A-professionals with an excellent understanding of not only the legal aspects of transactions, but also their business component. In addition, the lawyers understand technology at a deep level. As a result, you can speak with them “the same language”, and their reliable and effective advice fits perfectly into the business reality.’
‘The modern, flexible and professional team is not afraid to accept the challenges of the client’s non-standard wishes and is capable of solving any unique tasks with maximum efficiency and in the shortest possible time.’
Russian-Belarusian Venture Capital Fund RBF Ventures
IDT Corporation (USA)
Marketcom Technology Limited (Cyprus)
Corevist, Inc (USA)
DINAMICA GENERALE S.P.A. (Italy)
UAB “YUKON ADVANCED OPTICS WORLDWIDE”
Haxus Venture Fund
- Advised Vizor Games on its investment deal with Playrix.
- Advised Yukon Advanced Optics on its acquisition of a stake in Orangesoft.
- Advised Corevist on its entry into the Belarusian market.
Arzinger Law Offices
The offering at Arzinger Law Offices comprises three specialised sub-teams; Sergey Mashonsky oversees work relating to foreign investments and PPP projects; Klim Stashevsky takes the lead on international trade mandates; and Aleksei Mikhailov heads up the corporate and M&A group. The practice is 'unique in its approach to solving problems' and 'always speaks the same language as the client'. International IT companies continue to be a frequent source of instruction for the firm, which is known for advising on the risks of launching a business in Belarus, and is also increasingly assisting clients with antidumping and antitrust investigations.
Sergey Mashonsky; Klim Stashevsky; Aleksei Mikhailov
‘A team of well-coordinated professionals who are ready to work in any stressful situation and are available 24/7. The practice has experience in all significant industries in the Republic of Belarus. Always speaks the same language as the client.’
‘Klim Stashevsky is smart, intelligent, with a broad view of business, has deep legal knowledge, excellent negotiator.’
‘Prompt involvement in the work, high quality selection of specialists for the project teams, willingness to negotiate and desire to explain to the client as accurately and comprehensively as possible the way out of a complicated situation. ’
‘Sergey Mashonsky efficiently organises legal services of his team for this clients. We are very satisfied with the services from him and Arzinger and Partners.’
‘The practice of this company is unique in its approach to solving problems, based on exceptional professionalism and practical application of the proposed solutions.’
‘The firm shows very good knowledge of law and its practice, is very committed to clients, and provides very sharp and practical advice for clients.’
‘Sergey Mashonsky, a very experienced lawyer, leads the team. Klim Stashevsky is highly professional.’
‘Very client-oriented, very responsive.’
Polipol Holding GmbH & Co. KG
IFN-Holding AG and Kastrup Vinduet Holding ApS
Henglin Home Furnishings
Svetlogorsk Pulp and Board Plant
- Assisted Perk with the implementation of an IT project in Belarus, including advising on the proper regulation of relations between shareholders.
- Advised Kastrup Vinduet and IFN Holding on the Belarusian part of the acquisition of Skanva Group, the Danish manufacturer of windows and doors.
- Advised a US-based IT company on transfer pricing control issues.
CERHA HEMPEL LLC is noted for its 'very well structured and comprehensive advice'; the group leverages its extensive regional network to handle the full gamut of general corporate and transactional issues for international clients from a multitude of industries, including pharmaceuticals, fashion and media. Practice head Sergei Makarchuk is able to 'always find a practical solution for a difficult problem', and is 'extremely helpful in cross-border transactions'.
‘Sergei Makarchuk has extensive experience in representing technology companies. He profoundly understands the clients’ commercial concerns and anticipates potential problems.‘
‘The team showed deep knowledge of the industry and proved to be great transactional lawyers. Every piece of advice that we received from them was very well structured and comprehensive.’
‘Sergei Makarchuk belongs to a type of lawyers that always find a practical solution for a difficult problem even when there is no obvious legal way. When he takes on any of our projects, we are confident that the work will be done with high quality and the expected result will be achieved.’
‘The team is very professional and hard-working. They have significant experience in dealing with cross-border projects. The team always provides us with quality work products and the turn-around time is really fast.’
‘Sergei Makarchuk is a very determined and experienced lawyer. Due to the combination of local and international experience, he is extremely helpful in cross-border transactions.’
‘I am extremely pleased with the level of professionalism and expertise at Cerha Hempel. They provided us with an exceptional level of service and reliable legal support. All our requests were handled in a timely manner and with the highest degree of care. The team was very fast in understanding industry-specific matters. Their advice was always clear and detailed. In addition, its significant CEE outreach was very helpful in this region. The team fully met our expectations.’
‘It is a great law firm with top-notch professionals. They focus on the needs and requirements of their clients and really try hard to solve the client’s legal issues. Going the extra mile to help their client is a rule rather than an exception. Besides providing a customer-oriented service, the firm does excellent legal work. Their work products are always very practical and easy to understand for non-lawyers.’
‘Great combination of local know-how and international high-level service.’
Baumit Beteiligungen GmbH GmbH (Austria)
Molson Coors Brewing Company (UK) Limited
Monster Energy Limited (Ireland)
Fitbit, Inc. (USA)
LUKOIL INTERNATIONAL GmbH (Austria)
Vaillant Group International GmbH (Germany)
Teknos Oy (Finland)
Tesa SE (Germany)
VST Building Technologies AG (Austria)
Avery Dennison BV (Netherlands)
- Advised Baumit Beteiligungen on winding up its manufacturing business in Belarus and the liquidation of its subsidiary Baumit-Bel.
- Advised Fitbit on the international roll-out of Fitbit care coaching.
- Advised UK-based Molson Coors Brewing Company on entering into a distribution and license agreement with Bobruysk Brewery, one of the major breweries in Belarus.
Advising clients on the purchase and sale of shares in a multitude of jurisdictions is a key strength of the practice at Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners; the group is well versed in performing legal due diligence of target companies to assess risks associated with acquisitions. Practice head Anna Rusetskaya specialises in public and private M&A deals, and regularly advises foreign corporations, particularly those from the technology, automotive and pharmaceutical sectors, on deals governed by domestic law. Other key team members include finance specialist Dennis Turovets and senior associate Alexander Buzo.
Anna Rusetskaya; Dennis Turovets
Other key lawyers:
Nordic Aviation Capital
Bediamond Textile Industrial Holdings GmbH
JSC “Kaspersky Laboratory” (Russia) / Kaspersky Labs Limited (UK)
Carrosserie HESS AG
IHS Global LLC
LLC “KNAUF GIPS” (Russia) / Knauf International GmbH (Germany)
- Assisting Carrosserie Hess with the implementation of an investment project in the China-Belarus Industrial Park.
- Advising Knauf on the implementation of an investment agreement with the Republic of Belarus, including advising on the shareholders’ agreements and the stock purchase agreement related to the Belarusian joint venture.
- Advising Playtika on all legal matters concerning the operation of its subsidiary in Belarus.
M&A deals with attendant compliance and antitrust issues form the cornerstone of the practice at Legaltax; the team also regularly advises on the regulatory aspects of transactions and asset protection matters. Practice head Roman Shpakovsky assists investors with cross-border tax structuring matters and handles compliance issues for online gambling platforms. Renewable energy expert Eugenia Urodnich is another name to note who advises on local and global investment projects.
Other key lawyers:
Europebet (Betsson Group)
Dayton Group, UAB
Lily Europe, LL.P
Schneider Electric Bel, LLC
Vero Visuals, B.V.
Legky Uzhin, LLC (Pizza Lisitzza brand)
Autoidea, CJSC (Modus Group)
Modulnie systemi, LLC
Interregional energy company, Gmbh
- Advising Europebet on opening an online casino in Belarus, including obtaining an unprecedented gambling license.
- Advising a foreign non-commercial fund on the purchase and renovation of one of the biggest synagogues in Europe.
- Advising a multinational energy holding on corporate restructuring options to ensure the tax transparency of the cross-border holding structure.
SBH Law Office
The team at SBH Law Office brings its copious experience of advising global financial organisations and investment funds to bear on complex cross-border M&A transactions and corporate structuring issues; the firm regularly partners with notable international law firms to advise on multi-jurisdictional transactions. Alexander Bondar handles corporate work, and is increasingly focused on matters with a nexus to IT. Anastasiya Malakhova oversees commercial mandates, and is an expert on international taxation, contract and customs law, and currency and exchange operations.
Alexander Bondar; Anastasiya Malakhova
RBF Ventures (Russian-Belarusian Venture Investment Fund)
Bank Reshenie, JSC
Algimed Trade LTD (Belarus).
Shell Neft LLC
- Advising Coca-Cola Hellenic on the restructuring of its governing bodies and management in Ukraine.
- Assisted Zubr Capital with three M&A transactions, in the form of investments into MediaCube, MyFin and Realt.by.
- Advised RBF Ventures on its equity financing deal with Rozum Robotics, a group of companies based in the USA, Russia and Belarus.
An 'exceptionally knowledgeable' and diverse offering differentiates Stepanovski, Papakul and partners; the department comprises a large number of highly specialised practitioners. Valentina Komova leads on restructuring work; Anton Navitski focuses on competition and antitrust issues; Kate Semianiuk is the name to note for M&A and investments; general corporate matters fall under the ambit of Valery Papakul; and Elena Sapego oversees commercial mandates. Key sectors of expertise include industry, retail, energy and construction, and the team also regularly handles pro bono work with social significance.
Valery Papakul; Valentina Komova; Anton Navitski; Elena Sapego; Kate Semianiuk
‘The team is exceptionally knowledgeable, very professional, easy to work with, accessible at any time when needed.’
Belgruzavtotrans TEP LLC
Himalaya Herbals Transatlantic International
- Providing Regula with ongoing advice on all commercial and corporate issues.
- Assisting the Belarusian subsidiary of the Mace Group with various commercial issues.
- Advising Belwest on the acquisition of a majority stake during the privatisation process.
The team at VMP Vlasova Mikhel & Partners continues to act as the local counsel to a number of global companies seeking to enter the Belarusian market. The firm also has particular expertise in advising investors on concluding agreements, including those concerning PPP projects, with the Republic of Belarus. The practice is jointly headed by Konstantin Mikhel, who takes the lead on tax and commercial issues; corporate and labour law specialist Svetlana Dashuk; and Tatiana Emelianova, who handles international and domestic M&A deals. Notable financial institutions are a core source of mandates for the group.
Svetlana Dashuk; Konstantin Mikhel; Tatiana Emelianova
GCM Global Energy Plc
Royal Group Companies Management
Médecins Sans Frontières(MSF)
The Church of Jesus Christ
American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee
MMC Rus, Mitsubishi Motors Distributor Russia
Ariston Thermo Rus
- Assisting SPB Industrieinvest with its plans to build a wood processing plant in Belarus’ Grodno Oblast.
- Advising China Unicom on the organisation of its activities in the Republic of Belarus, taking into account the peculiarities of carrying out business in the Great Stone Industrial Park.
- Advising GCM Global Energy on an investment project concerning the construction of a potash mining and processing plant.
bnt | attorneys-at-law
With qualified German attorney Alexander Liessem at the helm, bnt | attorneys-at-law stands out for its 'international capabilities', and its niche expertise in German, Swiss, Austrian, and EU law. Alongside newly promoted partner Ulyana Kavalionak, Liessem regularly advises international corporations on their direct investments and cross-border projects in Belarus. The team is also seeing an increase in instructions from local companies looking to expand into Europe.
Alexander Liessem; Ulyana Kavalionak
‘BNT is the only firm I am aware of in Belarus that is managed directly by a European (German in this case) legal expert. This is helpful for its international capabilities and general organisational benefits.’
‘ Ulyana Kavalionak has a very friendly and professional attitude, pleasant to work with.’
HanseCom BY LLC
HanseCom PTTS GmbH
- Advised HanseCom on the establishment of an R&D office in Belarus’ Hi-Tech Park.
- Advised billwerk on the establishment of an R&D office in Belarus’ Hi-Tech Park.
With Darya Zhuk and Anastasia Bykowskaya at the helm, Cobalt's broad practice continues to handle the full gamut of commercial and corporate work, including transactions, restructurings and investments. Key clients come from the wood processing, agriculture, alternative energy and pharmaceutical industries. The firm also provides pro bono assistance to the participants of Social Weekend, a competition focused on socially-responsible projects and companies.
Darya Zhuk; Anastasia Bykowskaya
- Advised A100 Development on the main stages of its acquisition of the Modern Concrete Structures plant.
- Assisting Firedome, a start-up offering tailor-made cybersecurity solutions to IoT device manufacturers, with all matters relating to its entry onto the Belarusian market.
- Advising VMG on its continued business expansion within Belarus, including the establishment of new entities of the group in free economic zones, construction, export/import, financing, and conclusion of investment agreements with the Republic of Belarus.
At GRATA International, practitioners have 'the ability to not only provide legal advice but also to give practically applicable business solutions' when assisting with M&A and corporate governance issues. Practice head Dmitry Viltovsky, who has particular expertise in PPP projects, 'has an amazing ability to organise negotiations at the highest level with both clients and governmental authorities'. Maxim Lashkevich is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘Maxim Lashkevich and Dmitry Viltovsky are very creative, very responsive, and very hands-on specialists.’
‘We appreciate GRATA International Belarus team’s commercial understanding, the lawyers have the ability to not only provide legal advice but also to give practically applicable business solutions.’
‘Managing Partner Dmitry Viltovsky has an amazing ability to organize negotiations at the highest level with both clients and governmental authorities. He knows everything about the law!’
‘Great team of young and dedicated professionals led by experienced partners having 20+ years of experience. They have a very good understanding of international work standards and are very responsive and flexible. Professionalism is also of an exceptional level.’
‘I really like that they are very familiar with the local market practice and legislation. They don’t only read us the law but also explain it. They really know how specific laws are applied in real life. Fast and always on time!’
‘Individual approach to solving issues, deep involvement of the team in the business, professional support.’
‘We are co-operating with Dmitry Viltovsky and Maxim Lashkevich. Their consultations are always easy-to-understand, and contain recommendations for making specific changes in accordance with the Belarusian legislation. Practical and fast-responding specialists.’
‘Maksim Lashkevich gave an accurate and effective legal assessment of our situation, offered the best solution to the problem, taking into account the specifics of the Belarusian legislation, and provided comprehensive advice on our way forward.’
Foreign private unitary manufacturing enterprise «Antropil»
Belynichi Protein Factory OJSC
LLC “Manuvia Bel”
Unitary Enterprise “Saria”
Brestskoye Pivo JSC
OJSC “Holding Managing Company “Belkommunmash”
- Assisting Astellas Farma with its liquidation.
- Assisting Belkumysprom with the development of its project, including advising on debt restructuring and investment.
- Represented Taifun, a Belarusian producer of construction materials, before an antimonopoly body.
PETERKA & PARTNERS
Providing day-to-day advice, assisting with complex cross-border transactions and advising Belarusian businesses and international companies entering CEE markets all make up part of the regular workload of the team at PETERKA & PARTNERS. Victor Rakovskij was promoted to the partnership and took over as office director in January 2020. Rakovskij is supported by senior associate Anna Sanok, who advises on the establishment of joint ventures, restructurings and compliance issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘Long experience in the market, friendly attitude.’
‘Viktor Rakovskij is easy to reach and talk to, shows professionalism.’
- Advising a member of the HSH Chemie Distribution Group, a distributor of chemical raw materials, on compliance issues in various spheres of law.
- Advising InterDesign on its exit from commercial commitments worth $20m.
- Assisting a Finnish technology company with the customisation and development of a business model for a modern and dynamic start-up related to online social infrastructure in the sphere of goods delivery.