- Work 020 7583 8055
Crime, Marine and Fisheries, Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence, Public Law and Regulatory, Health and Safety.
Sunyana has been instructed on a broad range of criminal work including murder, drugs and sex offences, benefit fraud, violence and driving matters. She regularly appears in Magistrates’ Courts, Youth Courts and the Crown Court. She has also appeared for government agencies, undertaking work for the National Probation Service, Local Authorities and Revenue and Customs.
Sunyana ‘s notable cases include:
- R v CR & RST : Prosecuted on behalf of the Crown for the supply of Ecstasy at the Bestival music festival, in which one defendant was found in possession of 120 tablets.
- R v Watkins [20 11] EWCA Crim 2833: Successfully appealed the sentence of the defendant from an imprisonment for public protection to an extended sentence in the Court of Appeal for possession of over 20,000 indecent images and the making of indecent images of a child.
- R v Mclean & Others : Represented one of three defendants in a conspiracy to burgle 14 properties.
- R v James Vaughan and others : Second junior to Christopher Parker QC for the Crown in a nine-handed conspiracy to supply drugs, manslaughter, s.18 GBH and arson with intent to endanger life.
- R v Michael Kelly and others : junior for the Department of Work and Pensions in a nine-handed conspiracy to defraud the DWP and North Cornwall District Council.
- R v Ocran  EWCA Crim 1209: Represented the Appellant in the Court of Appeal for an appeal against sentence on whether exceptional circumstances to disapply the mandatory minimum sentence of five years for the possession of firearms.
- R v Passoni  EWCA Crim 1217 – Appeared for the Appellant in an appeal against sentence in the Court of Appeal for burglary and assault occasioning actual bodily harm on an elderly victim.
Sunyana Sharma is a Grade 2 Prosecutor on the CPS Approved List of Advocates for the Western Circuit. Sunyana has also assisted in advising on appeals to the Privy Council from the Court of Appeal in Jamaica.
Sunyana has provided criminal law lectures as part of the Crime Group Seminars to both the Bar and solicitors on ‘the Criminal Procedure Rules 2010’ and ‘Closing Speeches and Pleas in Mitigation in the Magistrates’ Court’.
Called 2006; Middle Temple. 2008 to date: tenant, 3PB, following pupillage; administrator, Solicitors’ International Human Right’s Group and paralegal, Lionel Blackman Solicitors 2006-07.
Hindi and Punjabi.
Western Circuit, Criminal Bar Association, Constitutional and Administrative Law Bar Association, Personal Injury Bar Association, Human Rights Lawyer’s Association.
Newstead Wood School for Girls; London School of Economics (2004 LLB Law (Hons), 2(1)); 2005 LLM Public International Law, Merit; BPP Law School (2006 Bar Vocational Course, very competent).
On the odd night off, Sunyana enjoys running, ‘body combat’, dancing, food, international movies and all things Indian!