- Work 020 7583 8055
Technology and Construction
Specialist construction barrister who is also a chartered surveyor and chartered arbitrator.
Practices in the UK, the Caribbean and internationally as an arbitrator, mediator and conciliator. Regularly sits as an adjudicator mediator, conciliator and experienced in early neutral evaluation and expert determination. Has wide experience in international projects including in Hong Kong, Greece, Cyprus, Norway, Jamaica and Trinidad.
Recent cases include:
- Acting for successful claimant in a two-week arbitration in Hong Kong against the Hong Kong Government, value £1m;
- Appointed by the Department of Health to undertake an Early Neutral Evaluation on a £60m dispute between a contractor and an NHS Trust on a PFI project;
- Acting for a local authority in a two week arbitration in UK successfully defending a £1.5m claim by a contractor;
- Advising a Housing Association in Northern Ireland in an arbitration brought by a contractor; acting as mediator in a £1.2m dispute between a property company and a developer;
- Advising a developer on a potential £3m claim against a large Housing Association in London;
- Advising on potential claims against contractor and sub-contractors arising out of a £15m refurbishment of a former Embassy in London;
- Acting for a national railway company in UK and successfully defending several very large claims in Adjudication;
- Sitting as sole arbitrator appointed by the ICC in Paris in a telecoms dispute; sitting as an arbitrator in a multimillion-Euro land dispute in Cyprus;
- Sitting as sole Arbitrator on a dispute between an Architect’s practice and Government Department;
- Sitting as arbitrator in a dispute over work on a private house in Mustique; sitting as sole arbitrator in a dispute on a major hotel project in Trinidad.
- Acting for the respondant in a £1m arbitration;
- Brothers & ors v Galliard Docklands Ltd & ors  EWHC 1722 (TCC);
- Woodlands Oak v Conwell  EWCA Civ 254;
- Vision Homes Ltd v Lancsville Construction Ltd  EWHC 2042 (TCC) (04 August 2009);
- Sinclair v. Woods of Winchester Ltd No 2 (2006) 109 Con LR 14;
- Patinae Contracting Ltd v Park Lane Estates  All ER (D) 186 (Jan),  EWHC 919 (TCC)
- Sinclair v Woods of Winchester Ltd and Ronald Harrison  All ER (D) 194 (Jul), 102 ConLR 127
- Allen Wilson Shopfitters and Builders Ltd v Buckingham  EWHC 1165 (TCC), 102 ConLR 154;
- Trustees of the Stratfield Saye Estate v AHL Construction Ltd  EWHC 3286 (TCC),  All ER (D) 77
- Allscan Services Ltd v Dougland Support Services Ltd [2003) EWCA Civ 61,  All ER (D) 199 (Jan)
- Glencot Development and Design Co Ltd v Ben Barrett & Son (Contractors) Ltd  BLR 207, 80 ConLR 14.
Called 1999; Lincoln’s Inn.
Deputy district judge; the Eastern Caribbean Bar Association; fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors; fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators; freeman of the Worshipful Company of Arbitrators Member of TecBar and the Society of Construction Law.
Stoneham Grammar School, Reading, Berkshire; First Class Honours Degree in Law (LLB), Thames Valley University, 1997 Very Competent in Bar Finals, Inns of Court School of Law, 1999 Barstow Scholar for achieving third highest marks in Bar Finals.
Cricket, cars, fishing.