Michael Parroy QC
- Work 020 7583 8055
Crime; Public Law and Regulatory.
Michael Parroy is a highly experienced senior criminal and civil practitioner. He has been involved in a wide range of serious criminal cases of all types, acting for both Crown and defence.
His areas of expertise include: murder and manslaughter, including corporate manslaughter (he was part of the defence team in the Zebrugge ferry disaster involving the capsizing of the Herald of Free Enterprise); rape and other sexual offences including cases where the evidence is historically dated; financial frauds including VAT and tax offences and drug importation and dealing and money laundering.
- R v Khan, major money laundering case deriving from an MTIC fraud, recently subject of a Court of Appeal decision o,n the position of money, laundering in cases of conspiracy;
- Barnes v CPS and Eastenders  EWCA 2436 – appeared for the CPS in a case involving issues re the position of a receiver and the application of the Human Rights Act to restraint orders, matter subject to an application for leave to appeal to the Supreme Court by the receiver;
- Prosecution Counsel 2008-11 in Op Euripus, said to be the largest ever series of trials arising from MTIC fraud, in total some 16 defendants convicted, case involved huge volumes of paperwork, witnesses, schedules etc, total fraud involved loss to the Treasury of about £450m;
- R v Shanly, 2012, prosecution counsel in a tax fraud arising from the disclosure of HSBC account details to the UK tax authorities;
- R v O’Loughlin and others 2008, appeared for the lead/defendant in a burglary trial invoking the largest ever burglary of a private dwelling house;
- R v Brendon Wright (aka ‘The Milkman’), Operation Extend, prosecution 2006-07;
- R v Selby, prosecution 2006; R v Soares & ors, prosecution 2000-01;
- Alliss v Maule, defence 2002;
- R v Rathmalane, prosecution 2002;
- R v Murphy, defence 2002;
- R v Lescott & ors, defence 2002;
- R v Markham, prosecution 2003;
- R v Ephgrave & ors, defence 2003;
- R v Razzell, prosecution 2003;
- R v Gibson & Gibson, prosecution 2004;
- R v Newport and others, defence 2004;
- R v Dawson & ors, prosecution 2005;
- R v Stephenson, prosecution 2005;
- R v Knapman and Legg, prosecution 2005;
- R v Evans & ors, defence 2005;
- R v Lewin, prosecution 2005;
- R v Redmond, defence 2006.
Called 1969; Middle Temple; QC 1991. Recorder, Master of the Bench (Middle Temple); legal assessor to the General Dental Council; legal assessor to the General Optical Council; Serious Fraud Office Queen’s Counsel list; legal assessor to the General Medical Council.
Fluent French and conversational Italian.
Association of Military Court Advocates; Personal Injury Bar Association; Western Circuit.