- Work 020 7367 8000
- Fax 020 7367 8001
- 206 LONDON CHANCERY LANE WC2
- London: Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- London: Corporate and commercial > M&A: mid-market, £50m-£250m
- London: Crime, fraud and licensing > Corporate crime (including fraud, bribery and corruption)
- London: Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: civil
- London: Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- London: Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- London: Dispute resolution > Public international law
- London: Insurance > Insurance and reinsurance litigation
- London: Insurance > Insurance: corporate and regulatory
London: Corporate and commercial
Within M&A: mid-market, £50m-£250m, tier 5
Steptoe & Johnson completed ten deals in 2012, in areas such as manufacturing, retail, technology and real estate. Highlights included advising Illinois Tool Works on the UK aspects of the sale of its paint finishing business to Graco. Michael Thompson heads the three-partner team, which also has a growing emerging markets focus.
London: Crime, fraud and licensing
Within Corporate crime (including fraud, bribery and corruption), Steptoe & Johnson is a third tier firm,
London: Dispute resolution
Within Commercial litigation, tier 6
Steptoe & Johnson’s group is ‘extremely client friendly’. It has particular skill in disputes involving trade, EU regulation, fraud, technology, energy and insurance, and deals with public and private international law matters. Ray Werbicki is ‘recommended without reservation’.
Within International arbitration, tier 6
Steptoe & Johnson represented 12 investors in two BIT-related arbitrations against Zimbabwe. Ray Werbicki and Matthew Coleman are recommended. Global arbitration co-chair Patrick Norton has relocated to London from Washington DC, while Egishe Dzhazoyan joined King & Spalding International LLP.
Within Public international law, Steptoe & Johnson is a third tier firm,
Steptoe & Johnson’s global arbitration co-chair Patrick Norton relocated to London from Washington DC in 2012. The team served as lead counsel to 12 investors in two ICSID arbitrations against Zimbabwe, which arose from alleged BIT breaches. Matthew Coleman ‘always commits to cases’, and has significant experience in Africa and Middle East related investment treaty arbitration.
Within Insurance and reinsurance litigation, tier 6
Angus Rodger heads the insurance practice at Steptoe & Johnson, which was active in 2012 on behalf of clients such as Pacific & Orient and HDI-Gerling. Gavin Coull and Damian Cleary moved to Locke Lord LLP, and associate Tim Searle is now with Clyde & Co LLP.
Within Insurance: corporate and regulatory, tier 4
Angus Rodger leads the team at Steptoe & Johnson, which advises insurers on regulatory and transactional issues. Active clients in 2012 included CIGNA and XL. Rodger advised French insurer CNP on a pension buy-in and buy-out for a multinational corporation.
London: Real estate
Within Commercial property, tier 4
Steptoe & Johnson is ‘very good at giving sound and practical advice’. Brendan Patterson heads the team, which includes Matthew Farmer, who has ‘a strong grip on complex agreements for developments and joint ventures’, associate Simon Collis, who is ‘very competent with a good eye for detail’, and Sam Kelly. The firm acted for Bride Hall Group on a number of mixed-use schemes.
Further information on Steptoe & Johnson LLP
Please choose from this list to view details of what we say about Steptoe & Johnson LLP in other jurisdictions.
Offices in Brussels
- Competition : Competition
- Customs, trade, WTO and anti-dumping : Customs, trade, WTO and anti-dumping
- EU regulatory : Chemicals (REACH)
- EU regulatory : Environment (including WEEE and RoHS)
- EU regulatory : Financial services
- EU regulatory : Food
Offices in London
- Corporate and commercial : EU and competition
- Corporate and commercial : M&A: mid-market, £50m-£250m
- Crime, fraud and licensing : Corporate crime (including fraud, bribery and corruption)
- Crime, fraud and licensing : Fraud: civil
- Dispute resolution : Commercial litigation
- Dispute resolution : International arbitration
- Dispute resolution : Public international law
- Insurance : Insurance: corporate and regulatory
- Insurance : Insurance and reinsurance litigation
- Real estate : Commercial property
- Real estate : Construction