Within Competition, tier 4
Steptoe & Johnson LLP’s competition practice is valued for its ‘very thorough fact finding and legal analysis’. It successfully acted for REEL Group in its antitrust proceedings against Rio Tinto Alcan, wherein the EC ruled that the latter had abused its position in the smelting technology market. Yves Botteman and Robert Fleishman are recommended.
Within Customs, trade, WTO and anti-dumping, Steptoe & Johnson LLP is a second tier firm,
Steptoe & Johnson LLP’s customs team was recently retained to represent the Chinese stainless steel fittings industry in the EC’s anti-dumping investigation. It also completed a successful ECJ appeal on behalf of Zhejiang Aokang Shoes against anti-dumping fines levied by the EC. James Searles combines ‘professional skills’ with ‘enthusiasm’. Guy Soussan is a ‘self-starter’ and ‘problem-solver’.
Belgium: EU regulatory
Within Chemicals (REACH), Steptoe & Johnson LLP is a first tier firm,
Steptoe & Johnson LLP advises several consortia on specific chemical products under REACH, such as regulations for brominated compounds. Corporate clients include International Flavors & Fragrances, Solvay Chemicals, and Lonza. The ‘technical’, ‘very competent’ team includes Darren Abrahams and Anna Gergely.
Within Environment (including WEEE and RoHS), Steptoe & Johnson LLP is a first tier firm,
Steptoe & Johnson LLP advises on issues relating to chemicals, nanotechnology, food regulation and food contact. In 2013, it was retained to defend the European Chemicals Agency in a case before the ECJ concerning the agency’s refusal to grant public access to information on companies engaged with certain hazardous substances. Anna Gergely is ‘very competent’. Ruxandra Cana, who joined from Field Fisher Waterhouse LLP is ‘very knowledgeable’.
Within Financial services, Steptoe & Johnson LLP is a first tier firm,
Steptoe & Johnson LLP is ‘really the best for EU regulatory advice in financial services’. It has a strong insurance and reinsurance practice, and also advises Swiss banks on EU legislation and contact with the relevant authorities. Philip Woolfson ‘understands his clients’ needs very well and provides sound, practical advice’. Jean Russotto and Guy Soussan are also recommended.
Within Food, Steptoe & Johnson LLP is a first tier firm,
Steptoe & Johnson LLP’s food specialists include Darren Abrahams, who focuses on biotechnology (GMOs, feed, plants) and Anna Gergely, who specialises in hygiene rules and packaging claims. The practice recently advised Microban on food contact applications in different member states.
Further information on Steptoe & Johnson LLP
Please choose from this list to view details of what we say about Steptoe & Johnson LLP in other jurisdictions.
Offices in Brussels
- Competition : Competition
- Customs, trade, WTO and anti-dumping : Customs, trade, WTO and anti-dumping
- EU regulatory : Chemicals (REACH)
- EU regulatory : Environment (including WEEE and RoHS)
- EU regulatory : Financial services
- EU regulatory : Food
Offices in London
- Corporate and commercial : EU and competition
- Corporate and commercial : M&A: mid-market, £50m-£250m
- Crime, fraud and licensing : Corporate crime (including fraud, bribery and corruption)
- Crime, fraud and licensing : Fraud: civil
- Dispute resolution : Commercial litigation
- Dispute resolution : International arbitration
- Dispute resolution : Public international law
- Insurance : Insurance: corporate and regulatory
- Insurance : Insurance and reinsurance litigation
- Real estate : Commercial property
- Real estate : Construction