Index of tables
- Commercial litigation - Leading sets
- Commercial litigation - Leading silks
- Commercial litigation - New silks
- Commercial litigation - Leading juniors
Commercial litigation - Leading sets
- 4 Stone Buildings (George Bompas QC)
- 11 Stone Buildings (Edward Cohen)
- 20 Essex Street (Christopher Hancock QC and Duncan Matthews QC)
- Erskine Chambers (Michael Todd QC)
- Quadrant Chambers (Luke Parsons QC)
- South Square
- Wilberforce Chambers (John Martin QC)
- XXIV Old Buildings (Martin Mann QC and Alan Steinfeld QC)
- 4 Pump Court (Jeremy Storey QC and Nigel Tozzi QC)
- Enterprise Chambers (Zia Bhaloo QC)
Littleton Chambers (John Bowers QC and Naomi Ellenbogen QC)
Commercial litigation - Leading silks
- Michael Brindle QC - Fountain Court Chambers ‘He has close to unparalleled breadth of experience and a serious court presence.’
- Jonathan Gaisman QC - 7 King’s Bench Walk ‘Unquestionably the best advocate at the commercial Bar.’
- Lord Grabiner QC - One Essex Court ‘Impressive on his feet and a fierce cross-examiner; easy and fun to work with.'
- Mark Hapgood QC - Brick Court Chambers ‘An exceptional practitioner, who is extremely bright.’
- Mark Howard QC - Brick Court Chambers ‘He has formidable analytical, strategic and cross-examination skills.'
- Ali Malek QC - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘Very effective in cross-examination, and a superb strategist.'
- Iain Milligan QC - 20 Essex Street ‘One of the leaders of the commercial Bar; his reputation is well deserved.’
- Laurence Rabinowitz QC - One Essex Court ‘One of the strongest and most intelligent commercial litigators in London.'
- Joe Smouha QC - Essex Court Chambers ‘A fabulous practitioner, who is firmly established in the “super league”.'
- Anthony Trace QC - Maitland Chambers ‘A master tactician and excellent advocate; one of the very best commercial silks.’
- John Brisby QC - 4 Stone Buildings ‘Imaginative and courageous; a silk for a difficult case.'
- Christopher Butcher QC - 7 King’s Bench Walk ‘An intellectual giant, even by barrister standards, who conducts absolutely beautiful advocacy.’
- Michael Crane QC - Fountain Court Chambers ‘A wonderful advocate; he is no courtroom bully but gets judges to see it his way.'
- David Foxton QC - Essex Court Chambers ‘Hugely bright, diligent, personable and aware of client needs.'
Clive Freedman QC -
Littleton Chambers‘Considers all the angles and strategy; just what you need from a silk.'
- Andrew Hochhauser QC - Essex Court Chambers ‘An extremely skilled advocate who has tremendous knowledge.'
- Kenneth MacLean QC - One Essex Court ‘Recommended for his international experience.'
- Philip Marshall QC - Serle Court ‘Brings real gravitas and experience, both in court and when providing advice.'
- John McCaughran QC - One Essex Court ‘Provides eloquent submissions, and clear and thoughtful advice.'
- Ewan McQuater QC - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘Great to work with; a real team member and very responsive.’
- Robert Miles QC - 4 Stone Buildings ‘One of the leading silks at the commercial Bar.'
- Ian Mill QC - Blackstone Chambers ‘Probably one of the most formidable courtroom lawyers at the Bar.'
- Andrew Onslow QC - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘Stands out for his enthusiasm, incisive thinking and drafting.’
- David Railton QC - Fountain Court Chambers ‘A very wise and highly experienced advocate with excellent client-handling skills.'
- Bankim Thanki QC - Fountain Court Chambers ‘Gives sharp, precise advice in a considered and user-friendly manner.'
- Nigel Tozzi QC - 4 Pump Court ‘A team player with a fraction of the ego of many silks with half his ability.’
- Alan Boyle QC - Serle Court ‘Brings vast experience and clear and authoritative advocacy.'
- David Chivers QC - Erskine Chambers ‘Eye-wateringly bright; a consummate silk.'
- Helen Davies QC - Brick Court Chambers ‘A massively impressive barrister.'
- Barbara Dohmann QC - Blackstone Chambers ‘A sound tactician, who is user friendly.’
- Vernon Flynn QC - Essex Court Chambers ‘He can deliver the brain of a judge on a silver platter.’
- Paul Girolami QC - Maitland Chambers ‘Excellent for commercial and Chancery litigation.'
- Alan Gourgey QC - 11 Stone Buildings ‘Incredibly bright and hardworking; a real team player.'
- Jeffrey Gruder QC - Essex Court Chambers ‘He has a brilliant legal mind, and brings clarity and structure to very complex disputes.'
- Jonathan Hirst QC - Brick Court Chambers ‘Rolls his sleeves up and turns around clear and commercial advice in short order.’
- John Jarvis QC - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘A very creative practitioner.'
- Nigel Jones QC - Hardwicke ‘An exceptional barrister; he grasps the tiny issues that turn a case.'
- Neil Kitchener QC - One Essex Court ‘An excellent and convincing advocate, who makes the complicated very simple.'
- Duncan Matthews QC - 20 Essex Street ‘An excellent advocate with a robust intellect; a master of his profession.'
- Terence Mowschenson QC - Wilberforce Chambers ‘An excellent courtroom advocate, who is highly respected by the judiciary.’
- Jeffery Onions QC - One Essex Court ‘A man for the most difficult cases.'
- Gordon Pollock QC - Essex Court Chambers ‘A very able barrister, who is a safe pair of hands.'
- Richard Salter QC - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘A fantastic advocate who adds real value.'
- Alistair Schaff QC - 7 King’s Bench Walk ‘Does not promise what he cannot deliver, but always delivers what he promises.’
- Stephen Smith QC - Erskine Chambers ‘Extremely experienced in heavyweight commercial litigation and fraud.'
- Daniel Toledano QC - One Essex Court ‘Meticulous, yet easy to work with and very client friendly.’
- David Wolfson QC - One Essex Court ‘He provides clear and robust advice in an authoritative and charming way.'
- Antony Zacaroli QC - South Square ‘Very clear and impressive written work, and his advocacy is of the highest standard.'
- Stephen Auld QC - One Essex Court ‘A seasoned practitioner; brilliant academically, forensically and strategically.'
- Adrian Beltrami QC - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘One of the very best at the Bar on present form.'
- Neil Calver QC - Brick Court Chambers ‘An excellent advocate, who quickly spots the key points in a case.'
- David Cavender QC - One Essex Court ‘A very, very clever, and extremely persuasive advocate.'
- Alain Choo Choy QC - One Essex Court ‘A brilliant strategist, who is user friendly and excellent with clients.'
- Matthew Collings QC - Maitland Chambers ‘Very good for fraud-related work.'
- Jonathan Crow QC - 4 Stone Buildings ‘Exceptionally intelligent and very client friendly.'
- Robin Dicker QC - South Square ‘The first choice every time if there is an insolvency element in a case.'
- Colin Edelman QC - Devereux ‘A hugely impressive advocate and lawyer.’
- Philip Edey QC - 20 Essex Street ‘A silk with deeply impressive advocacy skills; overlook him at your peril.'
- Justin Fenwick QC - 4 New Square ‘An absolute delight to work with; fantastically clever and a strategic genius.’
- Steven Gee QC - Stone Chambers ‘An excellent barrister for jurisdiction issues.'
- Charles Hollander QC - Brick Court Chambers ‘An excellent advocate and the acknowledged expert on documentary evidence.'
- Timothy Howe QC - Fountain Court Chambers ‘Combines gravitas with a pugnacious and hands-on approach.'
- Philip Jones QC - Serle Court ‘A most excellent lawyer, at the top of the list for complex corporate and trust issues.’
- Gavin Kealey QC - 7 King’s Bench Walk ‘Very impressive in major commercial and financial services disputes.’
- Tim Lord QC - Brick Court Chambers ‘Exceptionally bright, proactive and a strong team player.'
- Paul Lowenstein QC - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘An enormous talent; fastidious, focused and hugely energetic.'
- Alan Maclean QC - Blackstone Chambers ‘A clever and formidable silk, particularly effective on fraud cases.'
- Hodge Malek QC - Thirty Nine Essex Street ‘He is able to distil complex legal concepts into pragmatic applicable solutions.’
- Paul McGrath QC - Essex Court Chambers ‘The go-to person for fraud, asset tracing and injunctive relief.'
- Stephen Moriarty QC - Fountain Court Chambers ‘An excellent grasp of restitution and always extremely well prepared.’
- Gabriel Moss QC - South Square ‘Has an excellent reputation for cases with an insolvency aspect.'
- Catherine Newman QC - Maitland Chambers ‘She is very user friendly and takes the testosterone out of litigation, which is brilliant.'
- Craig Orr QC - One Essex Court ‘Incredibly hardworking and user friendly, with an excellent tactical approach.'
- Simon Rainey QC - Quadrant Chambers ‘A star, who has great analytical ability and great advocacy skills.'
- Stephen Rubin QC - Fountain Court Chambers ‘One of the great courtroom narrators.’
- Simon Salzedo QC - Brick Court Chambers ‘He performs very strongly in court, reading the judges particularly well.’
- Andrew Sutcliffe QC - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘A responsive, imaginative and charming lawyer, who inspires great confidence.’
- Michael Swainston QC - Brick Court Chambers ‘A very bright practitioner, who is excellent for Russia and CIS work.'
- Christopher Symons QC - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘One of the best silks for cases with an insurance element.'
- Sonia Tolaney QC - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘Hardworking, responsive and fun to work with.’
- Antony White QC - Matrix Chambers ‘A hardworking and bright silk, who is extremely user friendly.'
- Tom Adam QC - Brick Court Chambers ‘Very bright, robust, hardworking and interested.'
- Robert Anderson QC - Blackstone Chambers ‘Phenomenally bright and creative; a unique thinker.'
- George Bompas QC - 4 Stone Buildings ‘A highly responsive barrister, with outstanding client-handling skills.'
- Richard Boulton QC - One Essex Court ‘Excellent to work with and a brilliant advocate.’
- Simon Browne-Wilkinson QC - Fountain Court Chambers ‘A tenacious advocate, with a first-class ability to identify and formulate fraud claims.'
- Jeffrey Chapman QC - Fountain Court Chambers ‘A tactically astute and very diligent practitioner, who is liked by judges.'
- Stephen Cogley QC - Quadrant Chambers ‘He has impeccable judgement, and provides commercial, clear and timely advice.'
- Raymond Cox QC - Fountain Court Chambers ‘An excellent litigator, who is particularly adept at dealing with expert evidence.’
- Derrick Dale QC - Fountain Court Chambers ‘A persuasive advocate and an excellent team player.'
- Rhodri Davies QC - One Essex Court ‘His excellent advocacy skills have judges eating out of his hands.'
- Dominic Dowley QC - Serle Court ‘A very able lawyer with a very good bedside manner; easy and fun to work with.’
- Graham Dunning QC - Essex Court Chambers ‘A cool, calm and collected advocate, who is just plain spectacular.'
- David Edwards QC - 7 King’s Bench Walk ‘Very dedicated, hardworking, responsive and clever.’
- Charles Flint QC - Blackstone Chambers ‘He has great presence and good judgement.'
- Ian Glick QC - One Essex Court ‘An incredibly motivated cross-examiner, who gets on top of every detail.'
- Andrew Green QC - Blackstone Chambers ‘Phenomenally bright; he makes the most complex cases appear straightforward.’
- Richard Handyside QC - Fountain Court Chambers ‘Well on his way to becoming one of the handful of very top commercial QCs.’
- Siobán Healy QC - 7 King’s Bench Walk ‘A team player, who is also a strong and impressive advocate.’
- Lexa Hilliard QC - 11 Stone Buildings ‘She is keenly commercial, incredibly passionate and works seamlessly with the team.’
- Stephen Hofmeyr QC - 7 King’s Bench Walk ‘Not only erudite on areas of the law, but commercial too.’
- Andrew Hunter QC - Blackstone Chambers ‘Extremely hardworking, tenacious and bright.’
- Elizabeth Jones QC - Serle Court ‘A fantastic grasp of the detail and command of the issues.'
- David Joseph QC - Essex Court Chambers ‘A great advocate, who is commercially sensible.'
- Daniel Jowell QC - Brick Court Chambers ‘He had a major presence in the recent spate of blockbuster oligarch disputes.’
- Nicholas Lavender QC - Serle Court ‘He demonstrates an absolutely remarkable grasp of the key issues.'
- Robert Levy QC - XXIV Old Buildings ‘Perfect for hard-fought Russian and CIS commercial litigation.’
- David Lord QC - 3 Stone Buildings ‘A robust advocate, who is as good on paper as he is in court.’
- Harry Matovu QC - Brick Court Chambers ‘A consummate team player, who is astute at exploiting weaknesses in the opposition.’
- Michael McLaren QC - Fountain Court Chambers ‘A superb advocate.'
- Richard Millett QC - Essex Court Chambers ‘Enthusiastic and a delight to work with.’
- Richard Morgan QC - Maitland Chambers ‘Technically strong, very commercial and not scared of telling it straight.'
- Stephen Moverley Smith QC - XXIV Old Buildings ‘Innovative and creative; he can often find a way for a client where others cannot.’
- Jonathan Nash QC - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘An excellent advocate, who holds the judge’s ear on complex issues.'
- Hugh Norbury QC - Serle Court ‘He has a disarming style; his cultured veneer covers a great killer instinct.’
- Lionel Persey QC - Quadrant Chambers ‘His cross examination skills are first rate.'
Stuart Ritchie QC -
Littleton Chambers‘A real team player and an honourable opponent.’
- Pushpinder Saini QC - Blackstone Chambers ‘Particularly knowledgeable in the regulatory field.'
- Charles Samek QC - 11 Stone Buildings ‘An excellent, punchy advocate, who is a real team player and excellent on injunctions.’
- Richard Snowden QC - Erskine Chambers ‘One of the first ports of call for a serious dispute with company law aspects.'
- Alan Steinfeld QC - XXIV Old Buildings ‘His quick-thinking and no-nonsense approach provides comfort and reassurance.'
- Elspeth Talbot Rice QC - XXIV Old Buildings ‘She has an incisive mind, and gets to the heart of the matter quickly.'
- Michael Todd QC - Erskine Chambers ‘Practical, calm and client friendly.'
- John Wardell QC - Wilberforce Chambers ‘An excellent all-round barrister and an especially good cross-examiner.'
- Bernard Weatherill QC - Enterprise Chambers ‘An excellent courtroom advocate who lulls parties into making crucial admissions.’
- Jonathan Adkin QC - Serle Court ‘A very punchy advocate who always fights his corner and is quick on the uptake.’
- David Alexander QC - South Square ‘His strength is his attention to detail and the quality of his forensic analysis.’
- Lance Ashworth QC - Serle Court ‘Client friendly, focused and highly responsive.'
- Andrew Baker QC - 20 Essex Street ‘Clever, commercial and user friendly.’
- Michael Black QC - XXIV Old Buildings ‘A first-rate performer with great breadth of international experience.'
- Michael Bools QC - Brick Court Chambers ‘He is never afraid to make a difficult call, and gets stuck into the detail.'
- Philip Brook Smith QC - Fountain Court Chambers ‘A very clever practitioner, who is very easy to work with.'
- Aidan Christie QC - 4 Pump Court ‘A fine advocate; he has excellent knowledge of the law and is very good with clients.'
- Jeremy Cousins QC - 11 Stone Buildings ‘Calm, collected, and never flustered by the largest, most complex cases.’
- Simon Croall QC - Quadrant Chambers ‘Incredibly bright, always engaging and always interested.'
- Ian Croxford QC - Wilberforce Chambers ‘A first-class, authoritative and commercial barrister.'
- Simon Davenport QC - 3 Hare Court ‘A real battler, who will tenaciously fight his client’s position.'
- Jonathan Davies-Jones QC - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘An excellent general commercial and banking lawyer - phenomenally bright.'
- Julia Dias QC - 7 King’s Bench Walk ‘Enjoys a strong track record in insurance-related commercial disputes.'
- Michael Douglas QC - 4 Pump Court ‘Quickly gets to the heart of complex issues, and gives robust advice.'
- Paul Downes QC - 2TG - 2 Temple Gardens ‘Very bright and affable, and handles difficult clients exceptionally skilfully.'
- Ben Elkington QC - 4 New Square ‘Commercial, approachable and very good with clients.'
- Charles Gibson QC - Henderson Chambers ‘Very impressive and very personable.'
- Martin Griffiths QC - Essex Court Chambers ‘He has a razor-sharp mind and is a master of litigation tactics.'
- Paul Harris QC - Monckton Chambers ‘He is particularly well known for disputes in the sports, media and telecoms sectors.'
- Richard Hill QC - 4 Stone Buildings ‘A star in the making; a fearless advocate and immensely intelligent.'
- Robert Howe QC - Blackstone Chambers ‘Not afraid to give a view; a real go-to silk.’
- Robin Knowles CBE QC* - South Square ‘He must be one of the most user-friendly members of the Bar.' *Since publication, Robin Knowles CBE QC has been appointed to the High Court bench
- Andrew Lenon QC - One Essex Court ‘He provides excellent advice; it is a pleasure working with him.’
- John Machell QC - Serle Court ‘A talented all-rounder, who is calm, considered and focused.'
- David Mildon QC - Essex Court Chambers ‘An all-round excellent pair of hands, with an incredible track record.'
- Lord Pannick QC - Blackstone Chambers ‘He brings gravitas to major cases.'
- Luke Parsons QC - Quadrant Chambers ‘He understands the issues in a case without complication.'
- Anthony Peto QC - Blackstone Chambers ‘The go-to person for emergency relief applications; his brain power is off the scale.'
- Guy Philipps QC - Fountain Court Chambers ‘A very bright barrister, with good judgement.’
- James Potts QC - Erskine Chambers ‘A simply first-class junior silk.'
- Graham Read QC - Devereux ‘He is has a good sense of humour, but is aggressive when appropriate.'
David Reade QC -
Littleton Chambers‘He is an absolute delight to work with.’
- Keith Rowley QC - Radcliffe Chambers ‘A highly tenacious advocate who gives clear and robust advice.'
- Jonathan Russen QC - Maitland Chambers ‘He has a low-key, yet very effective advocacy style.'
- Rebecca Sabben-Clare QC - 7 King’s Bench Walk ‘She is good to work with, and makes herself available when required.'
- Richard Slade QC - Brick Court Chambers ‘He is extremely capable, pragmatic and a pleasure to work with.’
- Joanna Smith QC - Wilberforce Chambers ‘A very good advocate and a good team player.'
- Paul Stanley QC - Essex Court Chambers ‘Highly rated for general commercial and insurance disputes.'
- Romie Tager QC - Selborne Chambers ‘Truly unique; he has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the law in many diverse fields.’
- Patrick Talbot QC - Serle Court ‘A thoughtful and measured barrister.'
- Roger ter Haar QC - Crown Office Chambers ‘A clever and forensic silk, with good cross-examination skills.’
- Francis Tregear QC - XXIV Old Buildings ‘Extremely practical, very diligent, and a real team player with no intrusive ego.’
- Andrew Twigger QC - 3 Stone Buildings ‘Excellent analysis both on law and tactics.’
- Richard Waller QC - 7 King’s Bench Walk ‘User friendly and a good team player.’
- Timothy Young QC - 20 Essex Street ‘A good choice for commercial trade disputes.'
Commercial litigation - New silks
- James Aldridge QC - Maitland Chambers ‘Very easy to work with; bright, and commercial in his advice.’
- David Allison QC - South Square ‘Very intelligent, commercial and attentive to clients’ needs.'
- Michael Fealy QC - One Essex Court ‘Simply excellent; a safe pair of hands for commercial disputes.'
- Catherine Gibaud QC - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘Good attention to detail.'
- Patrick Goodall QC - Fountain Court Chambers ‘Incredibly responsive and great on his feet as well.’
- Matthew Hardwick QC - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘A highly intelligent barrister, who provides clear unequivocal advice.’
- Sean O’Sullivan QC - 4 Pump Court ‘A first-class barrister and advocate, who is also very user friendly.’
- Ben Quiney QC - Crown Office Chambers ‘Exceptionally clear thinking in the face of complex legal issues.’
- Tom Smith QC - South Square ‘A quick-witted, very bright barrister, who always adds value.'
- Ben Strong QC - One Essex Court ‘An invaluable resource and an exceptional advocate.’
- Adam Tolley QC - Fountain Court Chambers ‘Reassuringly clever, always beautifully calm and a pleasure to work with.'
- Tom Weisselberg QC - Blackstone Chambers ‘Exceptional judgement and a strong nerve.’
Commercial litigation - Leading juniors
- Simon Birt - Brick Court Chambers ‘A hugely impressive barrister, who produces work of exceptional quality.’
- Andrew George - Blackstone Chambers ‘A real talent; his experience of heavy applications adds real value to a case.’
- David Head - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘First class in court; his written and oral advocacy is exceptional.’
- Michael Lazarus - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘Tackles complex issues with ease and speed, and is a pleasure to work with.’
- David Mumford - Maitland Chambers ‘A really strong, indefatigable lawyer, who is academic but also commercial.’
- Ben Valentin - Fountain Court Chambers ‘Undoubtedly one of the stars in the ranks of commercial juniors.'
- Simon Adamyk - New Square Chambers ‘A highly intelligent junior, whose forensic attention to detail is a tremendous asset.'
- James Brocklebank - 7 King’s Bench Walk ‘An excellent practitioner, who is diligent, clever and a very good team player.'
- Steven Elliott - One Essex Court ‘He is very strong on legal analysis and likes getting into the detail.'
- Simon Hattan - Serle Court ‘A robust lawyer, a strategic thinker, and a great team player.’
- Alec Haydon - Brick Court Chambers ‘Careful to find a proportionate strategy.'
- Justin Higgo - Serle Court ‘An impressive advocate, who is very hardworking and always liked by clients.'
- Linden Ife - Enterprise Chambers ‘She has a powerful courtroom presence, and immediately takes command of the situation.’
- Laura John - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘Her cross-examination is first rate.'
- Daniel Lightman - Serle Court ‘He has an encyclopaedic knowledge of case law.’
- Stephen Midwinter - Brick Court Chambers ‘Exceptionally bright, efficient and also a very good advocate.'
- Edmund Nourse - One Essex Court ‘He takes a no-nonsense approach on complex cross-border issues.'
- Matthew Parker - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘A go-to senior junior; if he doesn’t make silk soon many would be very surprised.’
- Paul Sinclair - Fountain Court Chambers ‘A thorough, calm advocate, with a keen eye for detail.’
- James Barker - Enterprise Chambers ‘He is very able technically, and gives good strategic and tactical advice.’
- Anna Boase - One Essex Court ‘A bright and hardworking junior, with a winning manner.'
- James Cutress - Fountain Court Chambers ‘Super-intelligent, excellent on paper and brilliant on tactics.'
- Ruth den Besten - Serle Court ‘She is bright, incisive and approachable.'
- David Drake - Serle Court ‘A highly skilled junior, with wonderful energy and creative focus.'
- Orlando Gledhill - One Essex Court ‘Commercial, clear and easy to work with.'
- Jamie Goldsmith - One Essex Court ‘He has fantastic energy, focus and determination; a top, top man to instruct.'
- Alexander Hickey - 4 Pump Court ‘An excellent junior, who must be on his way to silk.'
- Nigel Hood - New Square Chambers ‘An outstanding barrister, who is a tenacious and robust advocate in the courtroom.'
- Benjamin John - Maitland Chambers ‘Incredibly bright and easy to get on with; a real star in the making.’
- Yash Kulkarni - Quadrant Chambers ‘Very dependable, very sensible and always on his clients’ side.
- Shantanu Majumdar - Radcliffe Chambers ‘Superb on paper, and a very talented advocate.’
- Tim Penny - 11 Stone Buildings ‘A fine team player and a go-to counsel for injunctions.'
- Joanna Pollard - Blackstone Chambers ‘No one can match her in terms of attention to detail.’
- Leona Powell - Blackstone Chambers ‘An outstanding practitioner in fraud-related cases.'
- Clare Reffin - One Essex Court ‘Very client focused, pragmatic and commercial, with a sharp intellect.’
- David Scorey - Essex Court Chambers ‘An exceptionally bright and articulate junior, who is unflappable.’
- Richard Walford - Serle Court ‘A consummate legal strategist, who is very approachable and well liked.’
- Geoffrey Zelin - Enterprise Chambers ‘He has a very relaxed advocacy style, which endears him to the presiding judge.’
- James Bailey - New Square Chambers ‘A go-to counsel for complex matters.'
- Daniel Bayfield - South Square ‘Very impressive in general commercial and insolvency disputes.'
- Christopher Boardman - 11 Stone Buildings ‘A fantastic advocate both in submissions and cross-examination.'
- Aidan Casey - 3 Hare Court ‘Quick to get to the nub of the matter and gives clear black letter law answers.’
- Ian Clarke - Selborne Chambers ‘One of the finest advocates; fiendishly clever, with an excellent eye for detail.’
- Simon Colton - One Essex Court ‘Hugely clever and hardworking; his penetrating analysis is quite outstanding.’
Rupert D’Cruz -
Littleton Chambers‘Excellent for Russian and CIS work.'
- Nigel Dougherty - Erskine Chambers ‘A go-to barrister for corporate disputes.'
- David Eaton Turner - New Square Chambers ‘Very good and easy to deal with.'
- Richard Edwards - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘He is exceptionally bright, masterful in court, and has such attention to detail.'
- Andreas Gledhill - Blackstone Chambers ‘Shines on intricate matters involving complex legal issues.'
- Paul Greenwood - 4 Stone Buildings ‘Very thorough; he makes sure he knows the facts and issues inside out.'
- Peter Griffiths - 4 Stone Buildings ‘A tower of strength on every level.’
- Neil Hext - 4 New Square ‘Dependable, clever and committed; a pleasure to deal with.’
- Michael Holmes - 7 King’s Bench Walk ‘He is exceptionally good to work with, and makes an excellent impression on clients.'
- Stuart Hornett - Selborne Chambers ‘A commercial, clear, realistic and robust practitioner.'
- Malcolm Jarvis - 20 Essex Street ‘He has a measured style of advocacy, which judges appreciate.’
- Susannah Jones - 20 Essex Street ‘Very well regarded for commercial and banking disputes.'
- Ciaran Keller - Maitland Chambers ‘Thinks points through thoroughly, and comes to clear and practical solutions.'
- Edmund King - Essex Court Chambers ‘An uber-responsive barrister with great attention to detail.'
- Henry King Fountain Court Chambers ‘An extremely hardworking barrister, with good judgement and attention to detail'.
- Adam Kramer - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘An absolutely top-notch junior, who gains the respect of clients and lawyers quickly.’
- Tina Kyriakides - 11 Stone Buildings ‘Highly praised for her solid pleadings.'
- Edward Levey - Fountain Court Chambers ‘Excellent attention to detail and good understanding of case strategy.'
- Bridget Lucas - Fountain Court Chambers ‘A strong junior, who is extremely thorough and tells it like it is.'
- Max Mallin - 11 Stone Buildings ‘A star, who is positive with clients and effective in court.’
- Niall McCulloch - Enterprise Chambers ‘A tenacious advocate, who is very easy to work with and very much a team player.’
- George McPherson - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘A very thorough and clever lawyer, who grasps technical issues quickly.’
- William Moffett - Radcliffe Chambers ‘An excellent advocate, who is great with clients.’
- Dov Ohrenstein - Radcliffe Chambers ‘His work is always crystal clear, and well thought out and presented.’
- Zoë O’Sullivan - One Essex Court ‘Her technical ability goes without saying and her advocacy is excellent.'
- Alison Padfield - Devereux ‘She shows great attention to detail and intellect, and is also very user friendly.’
- Conall Patton - One Essex Court ‘An outstanding junior, who is incredibly intelligent and a superb drafter.'
Richard Perkoff -
Littleton Chambers‘An excellent barrister; thorough, thoughtful and very experienced.’
- Rosalind Phelps - Fountain Court Chambers ‘An excellent senior junior who produces work of real quality.'
- James Pickering - Enterprise Chambers ‘A strategic thinker and a strong advocate, who always has the ear of the judge.’
- Fionn Pilbrow - Brick Court Chambers ‘Very user friendly, enthusiastic and responsive, also excellent at drafting.’
- Rajesh Pillai - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘A superstar in the making, who is excellent on paper and on his feet.’
- Benjamin Pilling - 4 Pump Court ‘Very experienced, tactically aware and easy to work with.’
- Nathan Pillow - Essex Court Chambers ‘Very bright and extremely knowledgeable.'
Chris Quinn -
Littleton Chambers‘A very able advocate, both on paper and in court.’
- James Ramsden - Thirty Nine Essex Street ‘A wonderful trial advocate, whose written work is beautifully structured.’
- Philip Riches - Stone Chambers ‘An extremely good barrister.'
- Stephen Robins - South Square ‘Phenomenally bright and exceptionally user friendly.’
- Edward Sawyer - Wilberforce Chambers ‘An extremely gifted practitioner, with a Rolls-Royce mind.'
- Marcia Shekerdemian - 11 Stone Buildings ‘A very commercial and clever barrister, who has an impressive court presence.’
- Nikki Singla - Wilberforce Chambers ‘Provides difficult advice in a well-thought-through and professional manner.'
- Clare Stanley - Wilberforce Chambers ‘A very impressive barrister, who is nice to deal with, and gives carefully considered advice.'
- Andrew Thomas - Brick Court Chambers ‘A very good junior, who is superb with difficult clients and challenging cases.’
- Andrew Thornton - Erskine Chambers ‘Consistently provides good, practical advice.'
- Elizabeth Weaver - XXIV Old Buildings ‘Excellent, both on paperwork and on her feet.'
- Colin West - Brick Court Chambers ‘An excellent barrister, who is very, very clever.’
- Adam Zellick - Fountain Court Chambers ‘An excellent, proactive barrister, who is always a pleasure to work with.’
- Stuart Adair - XXIV Old Buildings ‘An incredibly effective junior for offshore commercial litigation.’
- Andrew Ayres - Maitland Chambers ‘An excellent choice for commercial litigation.'
- Edward Brown - Essex Court Chambers ‘Provides excellent advice and strong courtroom skills.'
- Edward Cumming - XXIV Old Buildings ‘A true star at the mid-junior level that stands out from the crowd.’
- Peter De Verneuil Smith - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘An excellent and forceful advocate.'
- Robert Deacon - 11 Stone Buildings ‘Stands out for his client care abilities, unflappability and general enthusiasm.'
- Anna Dilnot - Essex Court Chambers ‘Hardworking, clever and good on her feet.'
- Ricky Diwan - Essex Court Chambers ‘An excellent junior with encyclopaedic knowledge.'
- Jonathan Gavaghan - Ten Old Square ‘A very bright and thorough advocate, who exudes confidence.’
- Julian Greenhill - Wilberforce Chambers ‘Strong advocacy skills and good with clients.'
- Christopher Harris - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘Unfailingly positive with good legal skills; he is a delight to work with.’
- Jonathan Hilliard - Wilberforce Chambers ‘Very responsive with excellent attention to detail.'
- Nicole Langlois - XXIV Old Buildings ‘Approachable, practical and commercial.’
- Blair Leahy - 20 Essex Street ‘An excellent senior junior for both commercial and insolvency work.'
- Juliette Levy - Selborne Chambers ‘Extremely bright, very capable and totally dedicated; a real star for telecoms issues.'
- David Lewis - Hardwicke ‘He has a natural flair for advocacy and cross-examines with great skill.'
- Ben Lynch - Devereux ‘An exceptionally intelligent junior, who has a very bright future at the Bar.'
- Alexander MacDonald - 7 King’s Bench Walk ‘A truly excellent senior junior, super-intelligent and very hardworking.’
- James MacDonald - 3 Verulam Buildings ‘Stands out among his peers; one of the best baby-to-mid-level juniors at the Bar.’
- Paul Marshall - No5 Chambers ‘An undiscovered gem of the commercial litigation Bar; a delight to work with.'
- James McClelland - Fountain Court Chambers ‘A rising star, who is exceedingly intelligent, hardworking and user friendly.'
- Michael McParland - Quadrant Chambers ‘Incredibly bright and hardworking, a real team player.'
- Simon Mills - Five Paper ‘Brilliant at devising strategies and commercial solutions to the most complex issues.'
- Andrew Moran - Serle Court ‘Extraordinarily smart and tactical; delightful to work with and hugely admired.'
- Matthew Morrison - Serle Court ‘Tenacious on his feet and extremely hardworking.'
- Tamara Oppenheimer - Fountain Court Chambers ‘A prodigious hard worker; the silks love working with her.'
- Rebecca Page - Enterprise Chambers ‘Approaches litigation with a very sound technical and procedural understanding.'
- Alexander Pelling - XXIV Old Buildings ‘His approach is thorough; he is not afraid to challenge and press his leader.'
- Iain Pester - 11 Stone Buildings ‘He has a formidable intellect, and is always respectful to other team members.’
- Alexander Polley - One Essex Court ‘He is intellectually outstanding, an excellent drafter and particularly responsive.'
- Thomas Raphael - 20 Essex Street ‘One of the cleverest juniors, who is very determined to succeed.'
- Jamie Riley - 11 Stone Buildings ‘He has real strength in insolvency-related cases, and is excellent in court.'
- Jeremy Richmond - Quadrant Chambers ‘An excellent tactician, who is always strong on his feet, and first class on detail.'
- Gerard Rothschild - Brick Court Chambers ‘A very bright young barrister who is destined to be a top performer.'
- Alan Roxburgh - Brick Court Chambers ‘A true rising star; he has gravitas beyond his years.’
- Bajul Shah - XXIV Old Buildings ‘He offers a good commercial point of view, and is very good on jurisdictional issues.’
- Sharif Shivji - 4 Stone Buildings ‘His written work is exceptional; he is hardworking, clear thinking and fluent.'
Adam Solomon -
Littleton Chambers‘An excellent junior, who is accessible and cuts to the nub of any issue.'
- George Spalton - 4 New Square ‘He is highly personable and has an excellent manner with clients.’
- Derek Spitz - One Essex Court ‘He has an excellent grasp of complex legal matters.’
- Ulick Staunton - Radcliffe Chambers ‘His clarity of thought is second to none.’
- Steven Thompson - XXIV Old Buildings ‘A very considerable talent; he is excellent with clients and has natural advocacy skills.'
- Robert Weekes - Blackstone Chambers ‘He is very user friendly and wiling to get stuck in when acting as part of a team.’
- James Willan - Essex Court Chambers ‘A rising star, particularly on complex international fraud.’
- Alexander Winter - Maitland Chambers ‘Excellent, thorough and sensible, a go-to junior for general commercial litigation.’
While the very largest disputes continue to be dominated by the top-tier sets, the savvy shopper can often find much better value elsewhere. A common complaint is that several top silks have had their heads turned by cash-rich, litigious oligarchs from Russia and the CIS, to the detriment of other more traditional, yet less glamorous, litigants. The increased blurring of the lines between the commercial and Chancery courts has also seen several traditional Chancery sets rise to prominence, particularly in cases where fraud and insolvency are on the agenda. This has been reflected in the barrister rankings, where counsel at sets such as Serle Court are making a much bigger impression in the general commercial disputes market.
3 Verulam Buildings has ‘excellent strength in depth and some very talented juniors coming through'. The set has gone beyond its banking roots to establish itself at the top for general commercial litigation, as reflected in its involvement in some top cases, such as GDF Suez v Teeside Power, Gudavadze v Anisimov and JSC BTA Bank v Ablyazov. The ‘very client-friendly' clerks are ‘responsive, accommodating and always helpful'; ‘they come up with excellent alternative solutions as and when necessary'.
Brick Court Chambers is often a ‘first port of call for high-value, complex commercial disputes', which is reflected in the set’s recent workload. Excalibur Ventures v Texas Keystone, Constantin Medien AG v Bernard Ecclestone and others, and the Alexandros T dispute, which went to the Supreme Court are all cases of note. Some say ‘there is scarcely a weak link' among the barristers, with ‘strength in depth from top to bottom'. Many also consider it ‘the strongest set for disputes where there are Russian and fraud aspects involved'.
Essex Court Chambers produces ‘a disproportionate number of user-friendly, sound, commercial types who are an absolute pleasure to work with'. Members are involved in some of the UK’s most high-profile cases, including Tchenguiz v Serious Fraud Office, and Pinchuk v Bogolyubov and Kolomoisky. Barrister availability is ‘well managed by the excellent' clerks, who are ‘just what you would expect from a quality chambers'.
Fountain Court Chambers is ‘a first-rate all-round commercial set' that is ‘great for premiership work'. ‘The quality is excellent no matter what level of barrister is approached'; ‘they are always very capable, easy to work with and integrate into the team'. This depth is reflected in the cases, such as the six-week Commercial Court trial Alpstream & Ors. v PK Airfinance and GE Finance, which involved three silks and three juniors.
One Essex Court is a great source of ‘commercially astute, technically excellent, responsive and dependable' barristers. Highlight cases involving numerous members included Pinchuk v Bogolyubov and Kolomoisky, and McKillen v Misland and others. Clients also appreciate the set’s ‘excellent friendly service'. ‘In relation to the day-to-day running of cases, it quickly becomes apparent that the barristers are very well supported by a resourceful and innovative group of clerks'.
7 King’s Bench Walk is ‘a really nice set to work with; very helpful and always willing to take on short-notice urgent work'. The counsel, who are particularly strong on the insurance side, are ‘extremely intelligent and knowledgeable' and there is ‘a strong crop of senior juniors on the rise'. A recent highlight was Excalibur Ventures v Texas Keystone, which involved members of chambers.
Blackstone Chambers is an ‘unstuffy and versatile' set, with ‘excellent and approachable' barristers. The set is particularly noted for its expertise in commercial cases that have a regulatory or public law element. One case that involved several members was Otkritie Bank v Urumov and others, a 12-week Commercial Court trial that went to the Court of Appeal.
Maitland Chambers is ‘a strong set for commercial litigation, with a number of go-to senior barristers and silks'. Having built upon their traditional expertise in commercial Chancery and civil fraud work, members are now highly sought after for the largest commercial disputes, a notable highlight being JSC BTA Bank v Ablyazov.
‘First rate from top to bottom', Serle Court ‘has really raised its profile in major commercial litigation in recent years'. Recent case highlights include Tchenguiz v Serious Fraud Office, JSC BTA Bank v Ablyazov and the Fiona Trust litigation.
4 Stone Buildings is ‘a premium set', equally comfortable in the Chancery Division as it is in the Commercial Court. Its members provide ‘high-quality advice and advocacy, with a strong focus on effective case management'.
11 Stone Buildings is ‘making a name for itself in areas outside its core strength in insolvency litigation'. Recent case highlights include VTB Capital v Nutritek International. Clients appreciate chambers’ ‘refreshingly modern approach', and say ‘there is some really good young talent coming through'.
20 Essex Street houses ‘talented barristers at all levels of call', and has some real heavyweight silks among its ranks. Notably, Iain Milligan QC and Duncan Matthews QC have been involved in some headline cases of recent times such as the Alexandros T case and JSC BTA Bank v Ablyazov.
Erskine Chambers has an almost unassailable reputation as the go-to set for non-contentious and contentious company law advice, including major shareholder disputes. This expertise has helped it gain a foothold in large Commercial Court cases, such as BAT Industries PLC v Windward Prospects Ltd.
At Quadrant Chambers ‘the overall standards are extremely high for commercial and business-oriented law'. Transport and energy-related cases feature regularly.
South Square has ‘immense strength in depth in insolvency-related matters', and is also popular for complex finance and corporate disputes. In this respect, the Libor test case, Barclays Bank v Graiseley Properties, kept several members busy.
Wilberforce Chambers can provide support ‘in almost any area', and in commercial litigation, ‘the barristers are of an exceptional standard'. The set is also praised for its ‘incredibly competitive prices' and ‘excellent level of service'.
XXIV Old Buildings is ‘the go-to set for offshore commercial litigation'. ‘You will often find a barrister from this set involved in most heavyweight cases', such as Aeroflot v Berezovsky & Ors.
4 Pump Court is now firmly establishing itself beyond its more traditional domains in insurance and construction, and its ‘senior juniors are a battalion of silks in the waiting'.
Enterprise Chambers is ‘the go-to set for sensibly priced, quality commercial litigation'. The barristers are ‘all highly capable and technically excellent', and are also known for their insolvency expertise.
Littleton Chambers is ‘one of the pre-eminent sets for restrictive covenants and confidential information litigation'. It has ‘tremendous strength in depth' and a ‘superb range of experience across the board'.